Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Pc you can make!

Options
  • 11-12-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

Must have the following included
    Motherboard
    Graphics Card
    Monitor
    Operating System
    SSD
    Hard drive
    Ram
    Case
    Processor

You can source products from any site. The exact specifications do not matter.

Tips-Use chinese websites

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Go to donedeal and take old dell p4 for 20eu.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If specs don't matter... why? Use a €50 smartphone instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

a better thread is, best PC for under say €250. excluding monitor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    a better thread is, best PC for under say €250. excluding monitor.

Well if you want a nice HTPC:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €247.85
    Intel Pentium G620 Box, LGA1155|€51.30
    4GB Corsair Valueselect DDR3-1333 CL9|€14.40
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.58
    ASRock H61M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX|€63.23
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€52.01
    OCZ Vertex Plus 30GB SSD SATA 6,4cm (2,5")|€51.33

Shipping conveniently ignored

Cheaper again. :P

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €236.98 (inc delivery Free!)
    ASRock S1155 Intel H61M DDR3 mATX|€49.19
    Intel Celeron G530 2.4GHz LGA1155 2MB|€42.66
    Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600MHz DIMM 240-Pin|€17.58
    Corsair 430 Watt CX430 V2 Builder Series 80 Plus Power Supply|€39.84
    Kingston 32GB SSDNow V100 SATA-300 2.5" Solid State Drive|€61.80
    Best Value 723 Midi-Tower with HD Audio + 500W PSU|€25.91

If it is cheap-as-possible, you could save another €40 and use the included PSU with the case (though I wouldn't).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Serephucus wrote: »
    Cheaper again. :P

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €236.98 (inc delivery Free!)
    ASRock S1155 Intel H61M DDR3 mATX|€49.19
    Intel Celeron G530 2.4GHz LGA1155 2MB|€42.66
    Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600MHz DIMM 240-Pin|€17.58
    Corsair 430 Watt CX430 V2 Builder Series 80 Plus Power Supply|€39.84
    Kingston 32GB SSDNow V100 SATA-300 2.5" Solid State Drive|€61.80
    Best Value 723 Midi-Tower with HD Audio + 500W PSU|€25.91

If it is cheap-as-possible, you could save another €40 and use the included PSU with the case (though I wouldn't).

i actually built a htpc the other week. similar spec

asrock h61m itx
    g530
    zotac geforce gt210
    recycled case,psu and ram.
    boot xbmc from usb

plays 1080p from my nas without any issues.

i could never bring myself to buying a celeron branded anything ever again. eew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume recycled parts aren't really in the spirit of the challenge.
    i could never bring myself to buying a celeron branded anything ever again. eew.

Not a bad performer for the price though.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+G530+%40+2.40GHz

Go to donedeal and take old dell p4 for 20eu.

/thread

The prices for 2nd hand machines are really nuts. On Done deal at the moment there isn't a Dell P4 for under €100.

Last year I built a i3 system for about 450~500 but you could overclock it to 4Ghz pretty easily. Fantasic performer. Most of that was bought from Peats because I needed it last minute. Wish I kept it tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

BostonB wrote: »
    The prices for 2nd hand machines are really nuts. On Done deal at the moment there isn't a Dell P4 for under €100.

Last year I built a i3 system for about 450~500 but you could overclock it to 4Ghz pretty easily. Fantasici performer. Most of that was bought from Peats because I needed it last minute. Wish I kept it tbh.

I forgot that the older i3s could be overclocked. Its a shame the 1156 mobos are so expensive, because you can pick up an i3-540 for only €75 now. Overclocked it would probably beat the i3-2100 in gaming for a budget build.

• Advertisement

That would be a third of the cost of Serephucus build though. That celeron is going to be fine for most things, except some games.

I have that engrained in me too (hence why I'll be going for i3 2/3100 for my build) but as BostonB pointed out, it's not really bad at all, when you consider it's 2.2K score in comparison to the 2500K's 7.4K (stock).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

I bought a Win95 laptop online for a friend last week. 80 euros. Win95 I know!

He wanted Win95 as its the only OS hes familiar with. Broadband not available in his region neither so its only dialup.

UNforuntately for me I didnt realise it didnt have an onboard modem. Had to order an external RS232 modem for him. Waiting on it to arrive. No doubt I'll have some fun trying to get it to work with Win95 drivers etc.

I did want to buy a USB one but there was none available.

I opted for a serial one instead. I'll report back when I commission it.

Do what?

i really dislike the use of that level of BF3 for benchmarking etc. it doesnt do much in the way of using a system, because every move is prerendered and the ships etc are pretty much a static 'movie'.

throw in a bit of dynamic gunfire with velocity calculations and we'll really see if it can hold its own.

according to the bench site mentioned earlyier, it scores slightly below the AMD X3 445. might make a good HTPC with its HD2000 gpu (is that better than an onboard HD4250? al la AMD route?)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    blahwin95laptopblah

Relevant posts only please. This thread is dedicated to machines capable of running contemporary software.

Can you define comtemporary software?

I'd have thought microsofts software was up there with the best

i really dislike the use of that level of BF3 for benchmarking etc. it doesnt do much in the way of using a system, because every move is prerendered and the ships etc are pretty much a static 'movie'.

throw in a bit of dynamic gunfire with velocity calculations and we'll really see if it can hold its own.

according to the bench site mentioned earlyier, it scores slightly below the AMD X3 445. might make a good HTPC with its HD2000 gpu (is that better than an onboard HD4250? al la AMD route?)
    theres a couple of multiplayer videos on youtube there aswell,mind you im no expert on benchmarking i just wanted a nice htpc, the hd2000 chip is supposedly not entirely upto the job 24p can be stuttery, i based the build off of : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=841972#post841972 and it plays 1080p no bother on my 32" tv. i had to use it as my desktop for a week or 2 before i built the system i was on about in my other thread and it performed everyday stuff without any issue

• Advertisement
Advertisement