Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in the crescent

• 11-12-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

was out there today, and at least 4 cars had taken up double spaces by
    parking over the line, i know 4 spaces isnt much but still, a little bit
    of consideration for others would go a long way, think what ill do in future
    is park in front of the offending car

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Its very annoying. There should be signs up saying you will be clamped for parking incorrectly. At this time of the year it can take ages to find a spot and this parking makes it even worse.

I drove through town today and the right hand lane the whole way up William Street (from the corner of William St./O Connell St. to the corner of William St./Wickham St.) was filled with cars parked in it. What the hell where people thinking? It was a lane on a main street through the city and people where using it for parking. Are people actually that stupid. Its double lines the whole way up too. The guards should have been out ticketing every car on the road. I think there are a few parking spots up passed foxes bow part but the rest of the way down is double yellows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

hate the way taxis double park if they can't get into their zone - they think they own the world. delighted though for William St traders that it was cleaned up for December

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

hate the way taxis double park if they can't get into their zone - they think they own the world. delighted though for William St traders that it was cleaned up for December

A taxi driver did it during the week, he just suddenly stopped in the middle of the road outside H.Samuels waiting without notice to the car behind. The car behind beeped him and the taxi driver had the cheek to stick up his middle finger at the other driver. They should be ticketed as soon as they block the road. I think someone said they where a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Jofspring wrote: »

A taxi driver did it during the week, he just suddenly stopped in the middle of the road outside H.Samuels waiting without notice to the car behind. The car behind beeped him and the taxi driver had the cheek to stick up his middle finger at the other driver. They should be ticketed as soon as they block the road. I think someone said they where a few weeks ago.

In fairness there aren't enough ranks in the city. Taxi drivers have to work and need somewhere to work from. I won't blame them for trying to make a living. The problem is a lack of facilities for the number of taxis in the city. The state issued way too many taxi licences in the city and we are now seeing the negatives of this (together with the reduction in the quality of the taxis and drivers).

In relation to the parking taking up 2 spaces, whilst I'm sure it is annoying when the place is busy I can understand why people do this. Some people in shopping centres have no respect for other peoples cars. I respect my car and in turn other peoples cars. Unfortunately alot of people don't, between trolleys, prams, minor crashes and doors being slammed open, serious damage is done to cars on a daily basis. People taking up 2 spaces are trying to protect their vehicle from damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ABEasy wrote: »
    In fairness there aren't enough ranks in the city. Taxi drivers have to work and need somewhere to work from. I won't blame them for trying to make a living. The problem is a lack of facilities for the number of taxis in the city. The state issued way too many taxi licences in the city and we are now seeing the negatives of this (together with the reduction in the quality of the taxis and drivers).

There is nearly always plenty of room on the Sarsfield street rank but they all want to squeeze into the rank on O'Connell Street (opposite Browne Thomas) because there is more footfall there. Everytime I pass there is always a taxi sticking out at the end of the corner. This is both inconsiderate and dangerous for other vehicles turing right from Sarsfield street, not to mind pedestrians trying to cross O'Connell Street.
    In relation to the parking taking up 2 spaces, whilst I'm sure it is annoying when the place is busy I can understand why people do this. Some people in shopping centres have no respect for other peoples cars. I respect my car and in turn other peoples cars. Unfortunately alot of people don't, between trolleys, prams, minor crashes and doors being slammed open, serious damage is done to cars on a daily basis. People taking up 2 spaces are trying to protect their vehicle from damage.

I hear what you are saying and I hate careless dumb asses too who have no respect for other peoples cars but two wrongs do not make it right. I would say it is more likely that these people simply cannot park a car properly between two white lines or have the attitude that sure I'm only going to be 5 mins. At this time of year shopping centre car parks are nearly always full so parking across two spaces is just as careless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

no offense, but most taxi drivers, not only in Limerick, are pig ignorant when it comes to rules of the road.....

a lot of them are driving taxis because they are too useless to do anything else....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

In fairness there aren't enough ranks in the city.

There's plenty of ranks, just too many taxi drivers. Ask any of them and they'll tell you the same thing.

anyways, back on topic...Take a spin along Parnell st and try count how many people are double parked

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

seachto7 wrote: »
    no offense, but most taxi drivers, not only in Limerick, are pig ignorant when it comes to rules of the road.....

a lot of them are driving taxis because they are too useless to do anything else....

Mod-hat on: Putting "no offence" in front of it doesn't actually make it okay! Make a comment about the parking situation, but there's no need to bring insults into it.
    There's plenty of ranks, just too many taxi drivers. Ask any of them and they'll tell you the same thing.

anyways, back on topic...Take a spin along Parnell st and try count how many people are double parked

*mod-hat off*

Parnell Street is weird. People have always double-parked there (similarly, see the Windmill area at the top of Henry Street) without causing much of a hassle to moving traffic. It's a nice wide road, so it's not as big of a problem there. The junction of streets William and O'Connell doesn't have that luxury though, especially with the recently widened footpaths.

Anyone here tried to cycle up William Street lately? Feels like Russian Roulette most days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A Garda Jeep nearly knocked the two of us down on Thursday night on William Street. He jumped into the drivers seat as we crossed the road by Leavys shoes. They have not finished the pedestrian lights yet so only semi jaywalking.

Anyway as we were crossing he flew out of the bus stop and nearly killed us. Why? He wanted to make a point to 2 cars parked in the left lane. You know the type. Sh*tbox car with a bloke in the drivers seat. His wife off somewhere and too pig ignorant to find a correct place to park. Just wait for her to come back "sur theres another lane".

Garda Jeep drives up on top of the back bumper more or less and blows the horn and forces him to move, does the same to the next car.

I drive this road numerous times a day and I'm constantly annoyed by the illegal parking by, mostly, taxi drivers. Some block the left lane waiting to get into the rank, some park on the right hand side waiting to get over to the rank on the left, some have the arse of their taxi sitting out into traffic because that is all the car that fitted into the space(don't try so).

In Time people will stop parking like asswipes like this because they have been used to the roadworks for a long time and you could park in either lane(as the roadworks switched sides) because that lane was closed further up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Beer Baron wrote: »
    A Garda Jeep nearly knocked the two of us down on Thursday night on William Street. He jumped into the drivers seat as we crossed the road by Leavys shoes. They have not finished the pedestrian lights yet so only semi jaywalking.

Anyway as we were crossing he flew out of the bus stop and nearly killed us. Why? He wanted to make a point to 2 cars parked in the left lane. You know the type. Sh*tbox car with a bloke in the drivers seat. His wife off somewhere and too pig ignorant to find a correct place to park. Just wait for her to come back "sur theres another lane".

Garda Jeep drives up on top of the back bumper more or less and blows the horn and forces him to move, does the same to the next car.

I drive this road numerous times a day and I'm constantly annoyed by the illegal parking by, mostly, taxi drivers. Some block the left lane waiting to get into the rank, some park on the right hand side waiting to get over to the rank on the left, some have the arse of their taxi sitting out into traffic because that is all the car that fitted into the space(don't try so).

In Time people will stop parking like asswipes like this because they have been used to the roadworks for a long time and you could park in either lane(as the roadworks switched sides) because that lane was closed further up anyway.

Don't think it will change tbh. People have done it in the city for years now regardless of whether there were roadworks in the area beforehand or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Kess73 wrote: »
    Don't think it will change tbh. People have done it in the city for years now regardless of whether there were roadworks in the area beforehand or not.

Yes but at least Lower William Street by A-Wear was never really a two lane street as there was a rank on the right of it. Trucks used to park here in the mornings(I did in my truck) and taxis has no problem because there were not many on the street back then. Now its bedlam and everybody for themselves.

And Its Christmas to tempers, ironically, get frayed around now and people get very impatient as well.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Yes but at least Lower William Street by A-Wear was never really a two lane street as there was a rank on the right of it. Trucks used to park here in the mornings(I did in my truck) and taxis has no problem because there were not many on the street back then. Now its bedlam and everybody for themselves.

And Its Christmas to tempers, ironically, get frayed around now and people get very impatient as well.

Come January, Feb, March...... we will still see the same double parking crap on O'Connell street, William street, Parnell street etc etc. O' Connell street in particular really bugs me when a car decides to use one of the lanes to park in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Come January, Feb, March...... we will still see the same double parking crap on O'Connell street, William street, Parnell street etc etc. O' Connell street in particular really bugs me when a car decides to use one of the lanes to park in.

Yes, O'Connell Street is much more annoying but not as common. There is really no excuse for parking in the lanes on O'Connell Street. The road is far too busy to have to change lanes when the vehicle in front suddenly decides to stop. Oh, but its ok because the hazard lights are on.

BESman wrote: »
    Yes, O'Connell Street is much more annoying but not as common. There is really no excuse for parking in the lanes on O'Connell Street. The road is far too busy to have to change lanes when the vehicle in front suddenly decides to stop. Oh, but its ok because the hazard lights are on.

Had an assclown do that this evening to me during the very heavy rain that was bucketing down around 18:15. He just chucked on the brakes, stopped fully, got out of his car and ran into the Jasmine. Leaving his unattended car blocking the left hand lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

BESman wrote: »

Had an assclown do that this evening to me during the very heavy rain that was bucketing down around 18:15. He just chucked on the brakes, stopped fully, got out of his car and ran into the Jasmine. Leaving his unattended car blocking the left hand lane.

If someone does that you should be perfectly entitled to shunt the (insert rhyming word)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If someone does that you should be perfectly entitled to shunt the (insert rhyming word)

personally i reckon people stoopid enough to do that should accept the fact that other people are allowed let down their tyres as a result....

Advertisement