Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

silage test

• 11-12-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

came back at 46% dm and 73%dmd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

topgeas wrote: »
    came back at 46% dm and 73%dmd.

46dm must have serious problem with mould

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

What sort of dm are people aiming for? And what is dmd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

C0N0R wrote: »
    What sort of dm are people aiming for? And what is dmd?

DMD = digestable dry matter essentially its a measure of how much of the forage the animal can break down, the higher the better
    but it depends on what your feeding, for dairy cows or finishing stock or ewes a dmd of 75 to 80, for suckler cows 65 (pre calving)
    If silage is too dry ie dm of 30 or more you may encounter problems trying to preserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

That will be decent feed if you dont encounter secondary fermentation. High Dm is so important to have high intakes which is half the battle. what are you mixing it with. My comment after if using in a tmr so maybe a bit different if its a stand alone feed

• Registered Users Posts: 27 nige2000

with tmr feeding u don't want grass silage over 35% dm firstly total ration dry matter over 50% will actually lower intake so yould be in that territory with 46% dm id be adding in water (hassle)
    there is some other issues
    you'll need to clear the pit face every two days secondary fermentation is more likely
    in tmr dry forages leave the mix easier for animals to segregate meal out of the mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

nige2000 wrote: »
    with tmr feeding u don't want grass silage over 35% dm firstly total ration dry matter over 50% will actually lower intake so yould be in that territory with 46% dm id be adding in water (hassle)
    there is some other issues
    you'll need to clear the pit face every two days secondary fermentation is more likely
    in tmr dry forages leave the mix easier for animals to segregate meal out of the mix

Well IMO there are loads of cheap quality products available to buy with lower DM to complement a quality dry forage. I would much prefer to have a high DM base forage to build a diet on. My current beef diet is coming in just under 30% DM and IMV its affecting performances even though its a very powerful mix.

Well IMO there are loads of cheap quality products available to buy with lower DM to complement a quality dry forage. I would much prefer to have a high DM base forage to build a diet on. My current beef diet is coming in just under 30% DM and IMV its affecting performances even though its a very powerful mix.

i wasn't suggesting the use of wet forages id go for 25-35%

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

stanflt wrote: »
    46dm must have serious problem with mould

no problems yet. have 4 covers on it. just feedin it straight. its high in protein as well. drinkin lots of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

How much silage do the testers require as a sample? How should it be presented so as to be in the best condition for testing?

Like would an empty chinese takeaway container be ok? :confused: Or is there a standard container for sampling?

I'I be getting it tested through Teagasc. Sorry for all the questions! I've never sent away a sample before

best way to send it in is about two big handfuls in a black ziplock bag but a ordinary ziplock sandwich bag will do (something to do with sunlight) hillsbourgh do sampling, they have their own purpose built bags

• Advertisement
Advertisement