Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday - Friday windstorms & snow - REPORTS AND CHAT THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Woke up to about an inch and a half of snow this morning but a lot of it melted during the day. Wind has really picked up here after a couple of hours of not so bad , had a few gusty snow showers this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Still snow showers in Tallaght. My mam reckons she saw a flash in the sky... Thunder snow? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

CianRyan wrote: »
    . My mam reckons she saw a flash in the sky... Thunder snow? :pac:

Lightning Snow surely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some shots i took today :)

Towards Tallaght Dublin Mts direction. :)
    383987_193244757433798_176235642468043_402644_1321083827_n.jpg
    :)
    388176_193244810767126_176235642468043_402645_1956070164_n.jpg

Winter's Sunset :)
    373824_193244837433790_176235642468043_402646_258585473_n.jpg
    Mamma clouds on rear underbelly of an anvil :cool:
    383669_193245247433749_176235642468043_402653_2133744551_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

@iancar - I can confirm that the precipitation has been falling as sleety rain all day in Inishowen (North Donegal), maybe snowier up the hills but its too dark and dank to tell :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

All rain sleet hail here. Still no phone service. Severe gusts. Dangerous out there !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Riskymove wrote: »
    Lightning Snow surely!!

had that on the way into college this morning at athlone. Friend of mine saw the same thing on the way to tullamore down the motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quiet, too quiet? Or just quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

Just arrived home from Derry to Belfast.

It was extremely gusty in Derry this afternoon, along with some heavy showers, although the wind was dying down a little as I was leaving at 4pm.

The Glenshane Pass was a blizzard with snow lying on the carriageway - scary to drive through. The snow lasted for about a mile or two at the highest point. Once I got to the other side it was back to rain.

And back in Belfast it's just another windy day. The ground is dry so I assume there has been little rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Full storm force 10 at Malin Head on 4pm reports (48kt mean speed)

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

and gusting 69kts, which is BF 12 (Hurricane force!)

Finner Camp gust 63kt, which is BF 11, though mean speed lower at 33kt.

There was 68kt gust in malin last friday and 61kt in finner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Electricity, phone and internet all gone in west Donegal according to the parents

Its definitely a lot worse than last week here, not as much damage as the storm back in May but probably the worst storm since I moved to Letterkenny 4 years ago with the constant driving rain & hail

Can't even imagine how much snow there'll be assuming its all falling as snow on Errigal

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Harps wrote: »
    Electricity, phone and internet all gone in west Donegal according to the parents

Its definitely a lot worse than last week here, not as much damage as the storm back in May but probably the worst storm since I moved to Letterkenny 4 years ago with the constant driving rain & hail

Can't even imagine how much snow there'll be assuming its all falling as snow on Errigal

So how did they contact you to let you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

suitseir wrote: »

Maybe they used one of those newfangled mobile phone yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Witch !! :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

suitseir wrote: »

pigeon.jpg

Indeed they did!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BBC NI reporting that the highest ever recorded wave in Irish waters was of the Donegal coast today, 20.4 metres, over 60 feet.

Gust of 87 mph at Malin Head today.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Gentlemen and ladies, I have to report that I actually found snow in Cork.

I've a 3 minute video here and it's revealed in the middle of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehFBmeNo-7I&feature=youtu.be

Leave a comment if you wish., Ta ta, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I've been reading these threads with some interest, as my job is very much influenced by weather conditions (wastewater treatment) and I must say I am unnerved at the undertow to some of the discussions. While I can see the appeal of snow at Christmas time and understand why people wish for it, the seeming disappointment that Ireland wasn't hit by a monstrously destructive windstorm is palpable here. This must be a very 21st century phenomenon I guess. Well I for one am thankful that Thursday's storm is dissipating as the projected scale of it would have brought untold misery to thousands in a country already suffering hard in a recession, and no doubt would have led to loss of life. Be careful what you wish for lads.

dopolahpec wrote: »
    , and no doubt would have led to loss of life. Be careful what you wish for lads.

First post. :)

Just to make this very clear, we are mostly weather enthusiasts, we love it all, we know what's coming so we are probably better prepared for it, we know what's not coming so we can ignore sensational newspaper headlines, IMO these do tremendous damage.

We don't actually make the weather. And we have had storm and tsunami events in the past that killed thousands of people, these events will happen again, but, again we don't make them happen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

gbee wrote: »
    Gentlemen and ladies, I have to report that I actually found snow in Cork.

I've a 3 minute video here and it's revealed in the middle of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehFBmeNo-7I&feature=youtu.be

Leave a comment if you wish., Ta ta, :)
    Hello,
    where in Cork did you find the snow ? Anywhere near Rocky Bay !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

kevmol88 wrote: »
    Record wave recorded off Ireland
    13 December 2011

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=139

Ooooooh I'd love a pic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I've been reading these threads with some interest, as my job is very much influenced by weather conditions (wastewater treatment) and I must say I am unnerved at the undertow to some of the discussions. While I can see the appeal of snow at Christmas time and understand why people wish for it, the seeming disappointment that Ireland wasn't hit by a monstrously destructive windstorm is palpable here. This must be a very 21st century phenomenon I guess. Well I for one am thankful that Thursday's storm is dissipating as the projected scale of it would have brought untold misery to thousands in a country already suffering hard in a recession, and no doubt would have led to loss of life. Be careful what you wish for lads.

I can see your point but I think you may be missing what this particular forum is about. Most people on here are weather enthusiasts and have an huge interest in all aspects of meteorology. Nobody wants to see the destruction that a storm can bring but at the same time, there is nothing wrong with appreciating the sheer power and beauty of them either. We don't control the weather, a storm will come if it wants to and there is nothing we can do about it. We can either run from it or embrace it.

I realize that this may sound kinda insane to some but there ya go. It is something that cannot be explained. It's in the blood and for me at least, also in the soul.

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    Hello,
    where in Cork did you find the snow ? Anywhere near Rocky Bay !!!

First flyover, Watergrasshill take the Bartlemy exit and it's just there on your right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

gbee wrote: »
    First post. :)

Just to make this very clear, we are mostly weather enthusiasts, we love it all, we know what's coming so we are probably better prepared for it, we know what's not coming so we can ignore sensational newspaper headlines, IMO these do tremendous damage.

We don't actually make the weather. And we have had storm and tsunami events in the past that killed thousands of people, these events will happen again, but, again we don't make them happen.

+1, we're talking weather phenomena here, not terrorist attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

People will like what they like. There's nothing wrong with wishing for whatever they like. Being a weather enthusiast is a very innocent and innocuous hobby - people could be into much more harmful things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'm just glad the roof and electric are still on, i agree i'm glad the next one seems to be diappearing. had to replace a boiler this winter already dont really want any more damage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Still Stormy here, a long day of very strong sustained winds.
    This storm delivered as far as im concerned and to think this storm wasnt even on our radar so to speak while we watied for the big beast to come on Friday, One can only imagine what that would of been like if it came off like it first showed up in the models.
    Fair play to all who who analysed all the models and thanks.
    I am now in serious need of sleep after watching all the thunderstorm activity last night.

Yeah great to finally get a good storm around here after all the anticlimaxes, between thunder, precipitation & wind its delivered on all three

The past few storms have had a few squally showers but with nothing at all in between, today its been constantly stormy all day

Still extremely stormy here with heavy driving rain, the rain seems to be getting even heavier as well. Not far off 24 hours of stormy weather now

Edit: Actually its as bad as its been all day right now, rain close to torrential with an impressive curtain of rain racing across the sky with every gust! Lucky I sorted out the drainage in the garden last week or the house wouldn't be far off flooding at the moment, I'm on top of a hill yet the road in front of the house is turning into a river at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭waterways

Realtine wrote: »
    Ooooooh I'd love a pic!

Sorry, no pic just a link to the M4 wave heigth graph.
    http://www.marine.ie/CMSWeb/mi/FusionCharts/DatabuoyChartFiles/hMax_M4.html

The highest gusts I saw today on xcweather were Donegal Airport with 82 mph at 11:30 and 86 mph at Malin Head 12:00 and of course the sting at Buoy M4 at 12:00. A monster wave must have irritated the anemometer with a max gust of 456 knots.

The track of the storm has been very well forecasted here. Thank you!

Advertisement