Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contradicting Xinkai idea. Heres mine (tourney league)

Options
  • 11-12-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

This idea was posted on Xinkai page, but it was being skimmed, so i thought of just making a new page for it.

Me and Linoud just came up with an idea, mostly his, but what about each FG takes their top 3 - 5 players, and they are to play in a tournament/league against each other groups top 3-5, in every FG that is usually played. For example:

BB team vs MVC team in BB, then in MVC, then in KoF, then in SF, then in MK, then in Tekken. Then the BB team vs MK team in all the mentioned games, then MK vs SF in the games played, then SF vs MVC team in all the games. You get the idea. This encourages you to not pick just your best players, but your good players that can also play other games quite well, so that your team has a better chance of doing well in the other games they aren't representing. :]

Random order, doesn't matter, but then at least this would encourage each team/players to learn a bit of the other games, just to beat the other teams that don't specialize in games other than their own, and would just be a fun type of event. Doesn't have to be a one day thing, could be an ongoing casuals thing or something.

This would be better than DoC v2 I think, which is essentially the same thing as DoC, just a tournament, there's nothing enticing the other players to go play the other games or even learn them, it's just down to whether the other players want to try learn other things or not. Also bragging rights for the most skilled community. ;P

The only problem is deciding what game you would represent, cause i could reprent kof or bb.

Ken came up with an addition, we could rotate which game is being played each month etc, like each team plays each other in MVC for the month or two weeks, then all the teams playoff in the next game, being BB. Also the format would be A v A, B v B, C v C, so there wouldn't be just one person carrying a team representing a game, and everyone gets turns playing.

Also with games being rotated monthly, it would encourage people to pickup new games, and we could insert them into the rotation. It would be more of a league system, with the team with the most points being called the winner in the end. We couldn't say if there would be a prize or not, this sort of idea would certainly merit one if it is actually done, but it'd be too early to decide anything like that. Just tossing ideas out here.

This gives a drive for people to try other games, at the same time be playing agianst people thats also just picking it up, like Mk ppl against Sf ppl at Blazblue etc etc and vice versa for the other teams.

I think 5 per team/game would be best. I do understand the problem of getting the ppl or some people might feel left out. BUt also there are people that wouldn't want to waste there day to play the game they hate (so they most likely wouldn't want to be part of it)

also for eg, if one of the month is only sf4 or another game so all the teams have to play in that game, yeah that means you will see the 5 BB/mk/kof/tekken etc etc sitting there that day playing SF4. YOu can open it up to people not in teams to come and have a big casual as well playing against people at all level of play.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'm up for this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, I'm up for... wait a min... oh... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Was at Joes today, I told him to write the title. Doom or Azza please delete or lock my thread, as I support this idea over my idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭powerofscience

Didn't see this thread. Anyways, I like the idea but what about all the butthurt people who don't get picked for teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Level up. Casuals over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Xinkai wrote: »
    Level up. Casuals over there.

For a tournament/league trying to convince people to play other games, that's a terrible approach to have.

Personally, I wouldn't confine teams to being from one games scene. I'd let any group of 5 enter. Sure you run the risk of someone trying to form a team of only top players across the board but considering people will be competing in 6 or so games, all of which run in an A v A, B v B....etc format, you can't really have a godlike team that wins in every game. People would be more inclined to try do well if they were playing with team mates they decided on themselves as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

The only problem I would have with this is that: as someone who wouldn't be good enough to get on any 5 man team for any game, there would be no actual way for me to participate; and absolutely no reason to show up to this kind of event.

The only problem I would have with this is that: as somepony who wouldn't be good enough to get on any 5 stallion team for any game, there would be no actual way for me to participate; and absolutely no reason to show up to this kind of event.

I agree, this is my point as well. It's great for all the people who do get picked but sucks for anybody who didn't make it. The whole point of this idea is bring the community together but, this might end up excluding more people than it brings together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I agree, this is my point as well. It's great for all the people who do get picked but sucks for anybody who didn't make it. The whole point of this idea is bring the community together but, this might end up excluding more people than it brings together.

I'm not necessarily looking at it from a perspective of butthurt/non-butthurt.

I'm happy to come to any event, and I pretty much do that currently.

But I won't come to one where I can't play.
    Not because I'm offended or feel excluded or anything; but simply because not playing would be incredibly boring.

I think the design of this event in it's current form is handicapping its own potential attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

To add to that:
    I have no problem watching an EXHIBITION match for 1 game (e.g. 5v5 championship), but spreading players across games just feels like you'll be putting the lambs with the wolves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Wouldnt this just be a load of people fumbling around with games they have no idea how to play? Dunno how thats fun for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

bush wrote: »
    Wouldnt this just be a load of people fumbling around with games they have no idea how to play? Dunno how thats fun for anyone.

Thats why you learn the basic, and try and beat the other people that haven't played much as well. Eg SF grp vs MK grp in BB, neither will know how to play as well, so learning the basic will help. If you don't want to play anyother game but one, then you just don't have to enter.

to drive the incentive to play, after the league the team with most points gets a prize, or a small trophy etc etc not sure. (also you can keep the points on random select as well)
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    To add to that:
    I have no problem watching an EXHIBITION match for 1 game (e.g. 5v5 championship), but spreading players across games just feels like you'll be putting the lambs with the wolves.

Putting lambs with the wolves thats only if they are playing the main game. But hows is the BB grp vs SF grp in MK or tekken putting lambs to the wolves. More like a even playing grounds.

simply because not playing would be incredibly boring.

I think the design of this event in it's current form is handicapping its own potential attendance.

This is what my response should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

To be honest I think this would be great for helping people to play other games. Ive played sf and marvel at casuals against that people that actually play those games and i have been hammered but its no diffrent to the hammering id give some of them at blazblue. If i played those with people on my skill level id have a ton more fun:)

In reading the other comments people seem to be against this idea because teams are very exclusionary. I think the only way to get the league running would be to still have DOC going and have this on the side.
    Some players arent comfortable jumping in to something new when they already have extensive knowledge of their favourite game.

The people who dont like this idea need to be catered for because we are a community at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

To be honest I think this would be great for helping people to play other games. Ive played sf and marvel at casuals against that people that actually play those games and i have been hammered but its no diffrent to the hammering id give some of them at blazblue. If i played those with people on my skill level id have a ton more fun:)

In reading the other comments people seem to be against this idea because teams are very exclusionary. I think the only way to get the league running would be to still have DOC going and have this on the side.
    Some players arent comfortable jumping in to something new when they already have extensive knowledge of their favourite game.

The people who dont like this idea need to be catered for because we are a community at the end of the day.

This is a completely separate idea to DoC.
    Day of Champions will continue to run as normal, as well as the other tournaments, it's not like we'd be removing all the other competitions and replacing it.

I agree with Power and Prinny that a lot of people will be excluded if we take it by teams of 5 representing each game.
    However, I have a few other flaws to point out.

Are we even going to have enough people to represent each of their favourite games?
    For example, the KoF community right now is mostly consistent of BB players, with a few others.
    Tekken has an almost underground community at this point, so who's going to represent that?
    If we were to take it in terms of 5 players per game, we need to have a top 5 first, and those players need to be passionate about their chosen game. If people don't cut the top 5 in their game, they'll end up on a team they don't want to represent or not play at all...

I'm not sure how to get around this, but perhaps just make it 5v5 teams instead of 5 per game?
    Would there even be enough players willing to play to fill a good few teams of 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

i dont really what to think about this,sure hearts are in the rights places but theres so much to discuss with problems etc but guess what this thing is for..

anyway with having 5v5 teams instead of 5 per game that also would present it own stumbling blocks,with team selection alot of the competion/league format could be techinaly won on paper

heres a example say
    kuro(mk/tekken/kof), stevo(sf), chuey(bb/kof),nutrient(mk/mvc) ,me:pac:(mk)
    were a team,we'd have 1 of the top3 players from each game on a same team,would that be op or fair?
    would it spur others on to beat "op" teams? :pac:

as i said i dunno really want to think at the min so just spitballig ideas but the concept of getting people to try new stuff is something i can agree with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

i dont really what to think about this,sure hearts are in the rights places but theres so much to discuss with problems etc but guess what this thing is for..

anyway with having 5v5 teams instead of 5 per game that also would present it own stumbling blocks,with team selection alot of the competion/league format could be techinaly won on paper

heres a example say
    kuro(mk/tekken/kof), stevo(sf), chuey(bb/kof),nutrient(mk/mvc) ,me:pac:(mk)
    were a team,we'd have 1 of the top3 players from each game on a same team,would that be op or fair?
    would it spur others on to beat "op" teams? :pac:

as i said i dunno really want to think at the min so just spitballig ideas but the concept of getting people to try new stuff is something i can agree with :)

Don't really see a problem with that. You can't really guarantee a win in a game by having a top player of each game in your team since that's 1 match out of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Naphiel wrote: »
    Don't really see a problem with that. You can't really guarantee a win in a game by having a top player of each game in your team since that's 1 match out of 5.

true enough man,as said was just spitballing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'm sorry but this is a terrible idea.

The original idea of DoC was to give people a chance to play games they don't play. However the main thing is that it gave them a chance to play, it didn't force them.

I don't watch people playing a game they don't practise and can't play to a decent level. Most especially I wouldn' go to a tournament to watch this **** when I'm excluded because I'm not good on some arbitary fúcking scale. And before someone like Xinkai comes in to tell me to level up, I'm not good enough because after about the first six months I spent my time trying to improve things for the general scene rather the practising so you can fúck right off.

Right now we have too many tournaments. We need to be reducing the number of tournaments and solidfiing the established tournaments, not adding some elitest fúck of a tournament so that the best players can make themselves hyper.

Shout-outs to Tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

drunken posts are the best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

While indeed that post appears to be drunken, it basically highlights all my concerns about this idea.

I simply don't think another tournament right now is a good idea. I probably attend more tournaments in this country than anyone else at this point and I still miss half of them. We need to relax the cacks a bit.

I also would like people to consider when Azza tried to run an online tournament compared to AJs. Azzas was limited to those he considered the best, and there was some ill feeling in the thread.

I'd be concerned about this tournament causing bruised feelings rather than bringing people together.

Also for the millionth time, xinkai, don't assume I will read a thread if you want me to do something as a mod, report a post so I will get an email. I'm in Germany so checking the forum is not high on my list of priorities!

Orim wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this is a terrible idea.

The original idea of DoC was to give people a chance to play games they don't play. However the main thing is that it gave them a chance to play, it didn't force them.

I don't watch people playing a game they don't practise and can't play to a decent level. Most especially I wouldn' go to a tournament to watch this **** when I'm excluded because I'm not good on some arbitary fúcking scale. And before someone like Xinkai comes in to tell me to level up, I'm not good enough because after about the first six months I spent my time trying to improve things for the general scene rather the practising so you can fúck right off.

Right now we have too many tournaments. We need to be reducing the number of tournaments and solidfiing the established tournaments, not adding some elitest fúck of a tournament so that the best players can make themselves hyper.

Shout-outs to Tin.

This doesn't have to be a full day thing.
    Oh yeah cause when i want to play sf4 I only get to play Doom, dreddy,stevo or hound. the reason for this is so i can try and give a motive to the mk ppl or others in picking a new game at the same time, so people can play at a same playing field.

also I do enjoy playing a bit of ssf4, but i will never enter inferno due to the price and the usual people that go.

Doc is suppose to allow other people to try new games, but guess what no one really enters anything but there main games, except a few. So far Doc is not getting new people to try out new games.

Ok, the team and maybe the tourney thing is a bad idea. Fair enough. I'm just trying to come up with an idea to get other people to try out games and learn a bit cause they want to beat another group in a game they don't play as well. usually if you learn a little bit you tend to enjoy it more.

well after the discussion, seems like this won't work. fair enough. sorry for wasting your time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Joe no need to take it the wrong way... Just right now I don't see more tournaments being a solution to any problems.

As for getting people to play other games... I appreciate what you're trying to do here, but ultimately, people are only going to get into the games they want to play. Like, I tried BB, it didn't light my fire. It probably never will. But KoF did. So you can only lead the donkeys to the water, you can't make them drink.

No worrys like, this is why typing is a pain, hard to tell tone of voice. I can see where people are coming from.

cool cool, like i said just an idea. But woo more kof people:D

Advertisement