Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26 point two

Options
  • 11-12-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Ok, first time to post a training log. I've been running intermittently for 2 years and completed the Kinvara Rock n' Road half marathon last year in 1h 42m. Loved it and immediately targeted a marathon but due to work committments and general laziness failed to get to the line last year. additionally i played football up until last year which meant i could never fully commit to running. Football is finished now (wrong side of 30 for a couple of years now!) I am setting the target, this year i have to get a marathon in.

i've been inspired by reading the many logs on boards and I'm hoping i can get some inspiration from some fellow boards members.

I have bought the Hal Higdon Novice Marathon app for my phone and plan to use it as my training plan (my training program doesnt start until Jan 30th on it). I am also signed up to the Kinvara Rock n Road again on March 3rd.

Training to date loads of small 4 - 5 mile runs during the week (ranging from 7:30 - 8:00 pace) and i've done two long ones over the last two weekends (11 miles at 9:39 pace this week and 8 miles last saturday at 10:00 pace). I plan to keep training with longish runs at the weekends upto the Kinvara Half and then i will use the Hal Higdon plan from March to June upto the marathon on June 3rd.

My half is 1h 42 from last year, therefore i would love to get a marathon in under 4 hours, 3h 45 if training goes to plan. :o

So.... let the madness begin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

cool, good luck with the log and the training.

One piece of advice - you're running too fast on your training runs. Most of your runs, not just your long run, should be slower than your planned marathon pace, 9 minute miles or slower. Plus a recent race time in here and it will give you a pace for easy runs - most of your runs should be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Welcome to the madhouse ;) very best of luck with the log and training

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Good luck with the log & the running...plenty of great advice, encouragement & friendship to be got on Boards:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best of luck! I will be reading your progress with interest as you and I have similar half times and similar first-time marathon goals (you are, however, slightly faster than me). New territory for the both of us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Wow, thanks for the words of encouragement and advice already. I alwasy thought i was going to fast in my smaller runs so will look to slow down on these (thanks Raycun). I'll slow it down this evening (partly due to an attempt at the 12 pubs after my 11 miler.....my body is still in shock, not the wisest thing to do) :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Good luck with it! :)

What marathon are you training for?

Hi, I'm hoping to do cork but not sure yet, off to Poland the week after as a little present for myself (if I do it!!)

Just 2.2 miles tonight, bit windy out there, thought tonight was tougher than the 11 at the weekend, probably something to do with the 11 pubs of Christmas, didn't make the 12th unless you can count the local chipper on the way home. Took rays advice, slowed it to 8:34 min/miles tonight.
    Good luck with it! :)

What marathon are you training for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Cool! I might see you at the start line so :) Training for Cork Marathon myself.

Hopefully, it's a long way away yet. Just 5 aside soccer tonight for an hour (I consider this my crosstraining, I don't know if it's wise or not but I enjoy the soccer once a week so plan to keep it going as long as I can). Might pack it in closer to the events I plan to run

Been feeling a niggle below my right calf since Saturday, hoping it's nothing but it is causing discomfort, I'll rest up tomorrow and go for a short one again Thursday. Might rest up the weekend if its still at me.

It's amazing how your muscles pick up injuries when running long distances, I never experienced anything like it while playing football. Just slight niggles here and there, perhaps I'm jumping up the mileage too quick?

Ok, this is not the start i was looking for. Calf still giving me a bit of trouble, decided to leave it last night. Going to change my long run from Saturday to Sunday for 2 reasons 1) office night out tonight and 2) give my leg a breather.

I hope this doesnt become a thread of excuses :rolleyes:

Back out on Sunday!

• Advertisement

OK, I’m back. Setting up this training log is the best thing I did. Yesterday, my motivation levels weren’t the highest and getting off my a$s and out into the cold wasn’t high on my things to do list. In truth, I just knew I couldn’t let my boards log fail after one week so on with the runners and out I went. Keeping a Training Log might just keep me going.

Went out about 4pm with Newstalk on my iphone, expecting to listen into the Man City v Arsenal match but unfortunately ‘due to internet broadcasting restrictions’ I was unable to listen in and just listened to some old recorded interviews instead (if anyone knows how I can listen to live games on the net let me know!).

Double whammy when I realised my iphone wasn’t charged fully so I lost power after about 5 ½ miles meaning I wasn’t sure how far it was before I got home, I was on a new route down by the River Dodder so I had no idea how far I was going after an hour’s running. Anyway, mapped it out on mapmyrun.com when I went home and I reckon I did about 10 ½ miles in a pace of about 9:33. Probably too fast again?

Going slow is a challenge for me, as a footballer I’m used to training until my hands are on my knees and my lungs are gulping for air (Sprinting, jogging etc etc). The long slow runs are totally different, no aerobic challenge at all and I just troddle along. Should I be getting an aerobic workout during the week at all, during a small run?

Going to be tough getting out for the couple of days up to Christmas, I need to get some short ones in as I’ve done 11 miles, 2 miles, (5 aside) and 10.5 miles. Not sure if it’s the wisest regime but time is precious and I find it difficult to get the time out as planned during the weekdays!!

No pain in the right calf today so fingers crossed that’s gone.

Well done on getting out yesterday and i suppose thats the whole idea of the logs...motivation to get you going when your head is telling you no!!!

In this log DCM Withdrawals - 5 mile challenge there is a weekly plan posted by Ecoli who is an experienced runner for us Novices and we follow it. Some of us have done the marathon and this is to keep us going afterwards and help us to maintain the fitness we have build up over the marathon training. not everyone has done the marathon but it nice to have a plan to follow.
    this weeks plan is:
    Mon| Tue| Wed| Thur| Fri | Sat| Sun
    Rest| 5m| 30minwith hard intervals*| 5m| rest| 45mins| Goal Mile
    Intervals 1 min on 3 min off

Goal mile - 1 Mile warm up/cooldown

come along and join us on the log!!

Thanks Younganne, i'll have to join you guys on that thread. Definitely worth logging a training log, its definitely keeping me motivated to get out there.

Yesterday should have been a rest day after Sundays 10 1/2 miler but my wife (also a runner.........can i call myself a runner now?) has been sick for 2 weeks and has been dying to get out and about again so a nice slow 3 1/2 milers at 10:30 pace yesterday. Good to see her out again as the flu can knock the stuffing out of you, we walked a little but a nice evening all the same for it.

Soccer tonight and then a rest day tomorrow, hopefully one last run on Thursday before the festive weekend begins :):)

Sweet lord, last one before xmas last night and my hardest run all year. Felt like stopping several times along the way. Not sure what was wrong with me, 10.5m Sunday, 3.5m Monday, Soccer Tuesday, rest and then hell for 6 miles last night.

Legs felt like lead weights from the get go, not sure what was up with me but at the same time it was nice to keep going and get it done (mind over matter and all that!!). 6 miles at 8:39 pace.

Way too many layers which didnt help, it was like a september evening it was so mild. Thats it for the chrimbo now, happy xmas everyone and heres to a marathon in 2012!!.

Back in Dublin after a couple of days home and without running over the chrimbo period. My wife joined me to tonight so 4miles at a handy 9:15 pace. Great to be back out after all the food and drink from the last couple of days. More of the same tomorrow hopefully .

Back from my Holidays so now i can begin training in earnest for this Half marathon and Marathon attempt. I brought my running gear with me on hols but was not expecting to get out in all honesty. I was visiting my brother in Dubai and honestly didnt think it would be a place where i could get some running in. Luckily i found a great spot where i could getting some running in, and the sun shined!!! havent had that for a while. I was killed with Hay Fever which really meant i struggled with the first run but thankfully it cleared up for the second run.

With the heat it was important to get out as early as possible so i got a 4 mile run (Tuesday) in (8:30 pace) and a 5 mile run (Thursday) in (~7:50 pace) during last week. I use mapmyrun.com app on my iphone but because of roaming charges i didnt map my run (i am not a gadget whizkid so perhaps there is an easy way to do it (map it out on the website?) but i just timed myself and checked the distance on the map.

Anyway, back to it tonight in the cold of South Dublin, hoping to pick up the training from now on. i downloaded the halhigdon marathon app and by putting in the race date for Cork, it says i should begin my marathon training at the end of the month. In the meantime i will begin picking up the miles again over the next two weeks to get back in the grove (and to shed the excess pounds gained over chrimbo and the last 10 days).

Took a few pics to share for the runs abroad. Also met a guy training for the Dubai marathon, told me he did his training on the Palm Jameirah, 20 miles to run across all the fronds on the palm. I told him my River Dodder run is far more scenic, cant be beaten ;);). A pretty flat course for a marathon, but an early start to avoid the heat. (Maybe next year ;) )

4 miles tonight at 9:30 pace, worried that I'm going to slow now so gonna pick it up a bit later in the week, just realised its 6 weeks to kinvara so gota pick up the speed (and miles).

Anyone know a six week training plan for a half?

heres a 12 week plan from Hal Higdon...just slot in wherever suits you

Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
    12-Dec 13-Dec 14-Dec 15-Dec 16-Dec 17-Dec 18-Dec
    1 Stretch & 3 m run 5 x 400 5-K pace 3 m run + Rest 3 m run 5 m run
    Strengthen strength
    19-Dec 20-Dec 21-Dec 22-Dec 23-Dec 24-Dec 25-Dec
    2 Stretch & 3 m run 30 min tempo 3 m run + Rest 3 m pace 6 m run
    Strengthen strength
    26-Dec 27-Dec 28-Dec 29-Dec 30-Dec 31-Dec 01-Jan
    3 Stretch & 3.5 m run 6 x 400 5-K pace 3 m run + Rest Rest 5-K Race
    Strengthen strength
    02-Jan 03-Jan 04-Jan 05-Jan 06-Jan 07-Jan 08-Jan
    4 Stretch & 3.5 m run 35 min tempo 3 m run + Rest 3 m run 7 m run
    Strengthen strength
    09-Jan 10-Jan 11-Jan 12-Jan 13-Jan 14-Jan 15-Jan
    5 Stretch & 4 m run 7 x 400 5-K pace 3 m run + Rest 3 m pace 8 m run
    Strengthen strength
    16-Jan 17-Jan 18-Jan 19-Jan 20-Jan 21-Jan 22-Jan
    6 Stretch & 4 m run 40 min tempo 3 m run + Rest or easy run Rest 10-K Race
    Strengthen strength
    23-Jan 24-Jan 25-Jan 26-Jan 27-Jan 28-Jan 29-Jan
    7 Stretch & 4.5 m run 8 x 400 5-K pace 3 m run + Rest 4 m pace 9 m run
    Strengthen strength
    30-Jan 31-Jan 01-Feb 02-Feb 03-Feb 04-Feb 05-Feb
    8 Stretch & 4.5 m run 40 min tempo 3 m run + Rest 5 m pace 10 m run
    Strengthen strength
    06-Feb 07-Feb 08-Feb 09-Feb 10-Feb 11-Feb 12-Feb
    9 Stretch & 5 m run 9 x 400 5-K pace 3 m run + Rest or easy run Rest 15-K Race
    Strengthen strength
    13-Feb 14-Feb 15-Feb 16-Feb 17-Feb 18-Feb 19-Feb
    10 Stretch & 5 m run 45 min tempo 3 m run + Rest 5 m pace 11 m run
    Strengthen strength
    20-Feb 21-Feb 22-Feb 23-Feb 24-Feb 25-Feb 26-Feb
    11 Stretch & 5 m run 10 x 400 5-K pace 3 m run + Rest 3 m pace 12 m run
    Strengthen strength
    27-Feb 28-Feb 29-Feb 01-Mar 02-Mar 03-Mar 04-Mar
    12 Stretch & 4 m run 30 min tempo 2 m run Rest Rest Half Marathon
    Strengthen

here is the link if you want to check out his other half marathon plans
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

Thanks Younganne, where does the time go, cant believe its in 6.5 weeks, given me the heeby jeebies now.

Football last night, good hours running in it, night off tonight so back into it tomorrow. I really thought i'd break my 1hr 42 mins with a bit more prep this year but my prep hasnt gone as planned. Interesting 6 weeks ahead to see what i can get under my belt before the run.

• Advertisement

6.1 miles today. Wanted to push myself tonight as I haven't run at race pace in a while. Only managed 8:00 bang on which is way off my target for my half goals but I'm putting it down to wind.......... (external environment as opposed to internal - which can be quiet uncomfortable:eek::eek:)

Had to do my run last night as I'm tied up all weekend so knew I wouldn't get out otherwise. 8miles at 9:29 pace. After my 6miles the night before I thought my legs were going to fall off me.

Home to watch a brilliant Connacht win in the rugby. Go on the eagles!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Connacht abú!!
    Pity it took so long to get the monkey off our back though!

Too long but the IRFU do them no favours. Deffo room for anconnacht team, you only havð to look at the schools cups in the province to realise there is an appetite for the game there. Hopefully they'll be back next year

OK, bit late with my entry here. 10 miles on the button last Thursday night, 9:04 mins/mile. Really struggling with the long distances this year. I was hoping to better my 1:42 for a half marathon but really worried about my prep for Kinvara on the 3rd. Maybe i'm a year older or just not doing enough but i'll plough on regardless.

No running this weekend, my brothers stag was on so was busy with alcohol in take this weekend (surely not helping!!), still a great weekend though so i cant be complaining.

1 month to Kinvara, though i have 2 weddings to attend which will hamper preparations further. Bring it on, who knows i could pull it out of the fire and it could set me right up for Cork in June.

Out tonight to rid the body of the excesses of the weekend, for some reason my app didn't log the distance but I ran for 46mins. (will map it tomorrow on my laptop). My wife came with me for about half the way so the pace was nice and easy. I did a second lap of our route and must admit felt amazing after it ......I suspect it was the warm up jog......however it may have been the weekend Guinness :p:p......here's hoping.

Don't know whAt it was but every man woman and his dog seemed to be out jogging around tonight!

A bit late posting again but a good week up until today. Was planning my LSR for this morning but pulled a muscle in my back as I got out of bed (how silly!!). So will try and get out tomorrow instead.

Weeks running, Monday logged in previous post, ran three miles to footy on tuesday, played footy and.....got a lift home, couldn't walk after it. 4miles then on Wednesday and rested up on Thursday. Work function last night so for the moment it's a heat patch on my back and out again after an Irish victory tomorrow afternoon. (plenty of neurofen plus too!)

C'mon Ireland!!

Good long run yesterday to get over the disappointment of the rugby. I saw somewhere that Wales were 2/1 for the match, bet of the century, i dont think Ireland were necessarily that bad. This Wales team is a serious 15, arguably the best in the world?

Maybe a little premature with that but what a team they have(and so young!)

Anyway, back to the running, a nice handy 11.84 miles, my pace was 9:46 which i am happy with, i got lost once or twice as i tried to find a new route around south dublin. Had to turn back at one stage and check my google maps. (Anyone saw a lunatic in shorts looking lost last night in Terenure it was me)

Happy enough with that to finish off the week

Just 2 runs this week, 3 miles to and from soccer on Thursday. Took it easy at the footie as not looking to get injured (gone a bit soft in the 50 50 tackles!!)

8 miles tonight, was intending on running 12miles but was about to turn right at a traffi light when my stomach rumbled and I was caught a little short 'get home quick' I thought so turned left for home.

Second time this happened to me, is this a common phenomenon? Hope it doesn't happen race day!!!!

Wedding tomorrow so hoping to get out for a slow long run on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Just the five miles today, i haven't done any speed or hill training at all so I tried to do that today, found a hill in a park close to where I live and did three laps meaning I hit the hill 3 times. Once I recovered from the climb I stuck on the afterburners for about 200metres on each lap to push the lungs a bit today. I don't have a clue if I'm doing the right thing but I felt good after it. 5 miles in total. A bit worried about the speed in my legs, aerobically I feel fine with all the long slow runs but just worried my feet aren't as fast as years previous!!

I'll start taking the training a bit more serious after the half marathon. At the moment I don't think I've done enough sipped training so will be supra see if I better last years time for the half marathon. One more wedding next weekend and then it's clear the diary until race time.

Advertisement