Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26 point two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

alitoast wrote: »
    Just 2 runs this week, 3 miles to and from soccer on Thursday. Took it easy at the footie as not looking to get injured (gone a bit soft in the 50 50 tackles!!)

8 miles tonight, was intending on running 12miles but was about to turn right at a traffi light when my stomach rumbled and I was caught a little short 'get home quick' I thought so turned left for home.

Second time this happened to me, is this a common phenomenon? Hope it doesn't happen race day!!!!

Wedding tomorrow so hoping to get out for a slow long run on Sunday.

I've heard that Kegel excercises help with that. It's happened to me a couple of times, and from what I have gathered, it can be quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

I've heard that Kegel excercises help with that. It's happened to me a couple of times, and from what I have gathered, it can be quite common.

Wowser, checked out Kegel exercises on Wikipedia, reading the 'Benefits to Men' Section we should all be doing it..... Must include a session a week from now on......:)

Ok so decided to push it tonight, 4:07 miles in 7:36 pace. Hadn't pushed it in a while and wanted to see how I'd get on. Plugged it into the mc Millan calculator and it calculated a half marathon of 1:46:54. 5 mins slower than last year.

Damn thing must be broken......:cool::cool:

A lot of work to do in half a month!

7:07 miles yesterday before I set off to the second weeding in a week, lovely morning for a run, amazing how quiet the roads and parks are during the week. 8:27 pace which surprised me as I though I was a lot slower.

Another great wedding (I think I got a cross training session in on the dance floor.....'moves like jagger' :D)

Trying to motivate myself to get out for a short one this evening but feeling very snug on the couuch at the moment!!

Ok, got up for a quick three miles, I thought I had my mapmyrun app on to time the run but I had turned it off when I set off by accident.

Long one tomorrow, will try and get the full 13 miles in so I can start tapering from next week.

• Advertisement

What a cracking morning in Dublin, decided on trying to get a full half in today at a handy pace, ended up doing 14.3 miles at 8:41 pace. I probably went too far but just happy to get a good distance.

Lovely cold bath afterwards to sooth the legs too. Good mileage this week, probably risking injury a little bit by going up so much but I'll keep an eye on that when training for the marathon later in the year.

OK first time to post all week, into the last week before the half now so looking forward to next weekend.

After sundays 14 miler, i took Monday off and ran to soccer on Tuesday night, then proceeded to play like a donkey on the football pitch for an hour, legs were wasted so i stood in goal for most of it. Did 4 miles at 8:13 pace on Wednesday and 4.34 miles at 8:24 pace on Thursday. Took two days off and did 11.58 miles today at 9:27. Legs feel tired now but hopefully ok for next weekend with a couple of small ones during the week.

Still worried i havent done enough speed work (and also still going to fast on my longer runs). Probably havent varied it enough but still going to target 1h 40m for next weekend.

Fingers crossed

Ok, tempo 3 miles tonight at 7:33 pace. Decided to sign up for the Meath half instead of the rock n road, easier logistics for me. Pushed it a little tonight so plan to finish up the training for Sunday with a light jog tomorrow and a quick 2miler on Thursday.

Hope this is proper prep? If I'm doing anything wrong please shout now!

4 miles lat night at 8;55 pace. Tempted to do a short one before the half marathon on Sunday. All the plans say to rest up for the two days before hand but surely a 2 mile tempo run won't do any harm. Keen to run a fast time on Sunday......big match starts at 3 :)

Ok, no run to report, have not run since Wednesday in prep for the half marathon tomorrow. Really looking forward to it, my only concern is the wind, hate running in wind and it looks like it could be a windy day tomorrow (and cold......so very very cold!)

• Advertisement

Meath Spring Half Marathon
    1 hr 42m 24seconds

A new PB by all of about 25 seconds. A great event and well done to Bohermeen club for the organisation, would recommend it to friends (if they ever get off the couch:)).

Anyway, a little disappointed with my result overall, i'm running a lot more this year and thought with the extra miles in the legs i could break 1hr 40. ABout halfway i was still on track but i faded badly at about 8 and 9 miles where i just wanted the finish line. Recovered a little after the water stop but felt i could have done a lot better. Felt a lot more lethargic this year with no kick at the end or anything.

365 days (exactly after my first half marathon) and i am at the same level as i was last year. I'm looking for reasons and if any expert knows then please let me. Personnally, i thinks its one of three reasons:

1) i went off too fast, 7:15 for the first two miles and i found my times dropped considerably for the second lap.
    2) I think i need to do some more speed work as i havent been pushing myself aerobically
    3) I need more sleep and less stags and weddings two/three weeks before a run (unless i become a pioneer which aint happening)

Anyway, all roads lead to Cork (although halfway through this i qas questioning whether i can do it). Might see if i can get another half in in April. Gotta break 1hr 40:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on the PB, sub 1:40 is on the cards for you, no worries. Cork won't be loops so no temptation to head to the car park half way round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done on the PB alitoast. You will be back on track for cork in no time.

Cheers Nules/Shazkea,
    Still stiff as a rake, jumped into the car after the half on Sunday to get out of the hailstones (Note to self: Stretch........no matter what the weather conditions...you gotta stretch).

Back to it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Cheers Nules/Shazkea,
    Still stiff as a rake, jumped into the car after the half on Sunday to get out of the hailstones (Note to self: Stretch........no matter what the weather conditions...you gotta stretch).

Back to it tomorrow

:D I hate stretching. I didn't need to stretch as i wasn't going fast enough ;) Hop into a hot bath mite just ease the muscles a bit

Legs were very stiff for a couple of days after last Sunday and I really questioned whether I could or should persevere with tackling the '26 point two'. Real lack of motivation meant I didn't get out until last night for 10 miles in 1:30 mins. 9 minute miles bang on, felt excellent after it but I know I really need to step up the training now, this coupled with the news that my wife is expecting our first child means I have an interesting couple of months ahead:D:D

Gotta get the marathon done now, it might be 18 years before I get another opportunity.

Lovely to get home and the sun still shining. Really fell the energy boost when its still bright and your out running. Went for a quick 4 mile jog last night, 8:36 pace. Felt great and really feel I want to push on now and complete the Marathon in June. Played soccer tonight and went over on my left ankle a little, i have a desperately weak left ankle (physio previously told me i'll need a walking stick when older, the thing is in bits). feels a bit weak and sore after my long runs but nothing to stop me yet.

Looking at the 10mile in Carughwell on Sunday, i'm down west so may make a trip to Craughwell and sign up and do it as a LSR for the weekend.

Would love to get another half in before Cork.

OK, i think the craughwell 10 mile is out, ankle isnt right and worried too much pressure on it during a race isnt good. Will plan an LSR and see how i get on (no shame in turning back for home when out on my own).

3.9 miles last night. 8:22 pace. Gotta get out at some stage at the weekend but looking forward to a few drinks for the match tomorrow. Come on ireland!!!!

Ok, a while since I posted But a good weeks running (for me anyway!!). Started on bank holiday Monday with 12.23 miles at 8:20 pace (probably too fast).

4:59 miles last night at 7:50 pace and I tried a bit of fartlek training tonight (total 4:88 miles). Not sure how long the faster runs we're but it was about 2miles warm up and then approximately 300metres fast and 200metres slow four times. (if this isn't fartlek let me know!?!?)

Felt good after all the runs this week, plan another short run tomorrow and then my LSR on Saturday morning.

Loving it at the moment, hopefully this keeps up until June bank holiday in cork

• Advertisement

Ok, back again. Was going great guns last week, followed up on my last post with 4 miles on Friday night and then 14.23miles (9:16 pace) on Saturday morning.

Felt really good and really up for the last couple of weeks training after last week. Decided on a game of golf on Sunday (rest day). Got up n Monday and in a 9:00 meeting stretched my back only to feel my whole upper back tighten up and stiffen, I have had the worst crick in my neck since and I've been on neurofen plus and heat patches since.

Really worried, I've always had problems with my upper back but this is twice in a short space of time (see earlier post). I wouldn't say I have bad posture but really concerned my running may be increasing my proneness to this problem.

Laid up now for a couple of days and just when I thought things were picking up I'm facing a couple of days off again. Will try and get out thursday for a light jog, bloody lovely weather to be stuck in with heat patches wrapped around my neck!!!!

Well back out tonight for 5.5 miles(8:19pace), nearly killed me. Form is so up and down its not funny.

Back muscles still in knots but no real pain so back to it now for the moment

A short 2:82 last night to warm up the legs and completed 15.4 miles this morning in 9:19pace. Felt a lot better on the LSR this week compared to last week. Neck still a little sore but I'll reserve judgment on whether I've need to be concerned until tomorrow morning, hopefully it won't be too stiff and sore. Concerned its the running, it could be the golf which I am not playing this weekend.

had planned a rest day today but reading the connemarathon thread meant i had to get out. Well done to all the runners in connemara today.

not as long for me, 4.4 miles at 8:12 pace.

And hes back........

Donkeys since i posted but glad to say i still have my place booked for the marathon and still good to go. Had a busy April (brothers wedding) and then my phone broke (sweat from my LSRs killed the battery) which meant i wasnt mapping my runs for a while but all in all training has been going ok in the last month or so. I built up to 2 x 18 milers for my LSRs in April but i only did a 14.5 last week and 12 miles this week.

In truth, i have just felt completely knackered recently on some of my runs and i think i have been overdoing it a little bit, soccer, golf (on rest days) and running means my body doesnt know whats going on (and my golf walks are longer then they should be as i cant hit the bloody ball straight!!)

Anyway, i have decided to pack in the soccer and golf for the rest of the month and concetrate on training properly for the last month before Cork, i am conscious of not overdoing it the last month before the marathon.

Anyway, my last LSR is planned for Friday evening next, 21 - 22 miles before i hit my leaba and fly out to Edinburgh for a stag on Saturday (not ideal i know). After that run its taper time!!

Being trying to figure out my marathon pace and i am hoping to go with the 3:45 pacers and get around at 3:45 pace. i have ran a 1:42 half so i dont know if i'm being optimistic or not. The way i look at it is go with 3:45 and if the pace gets hot i can target getting in under 4.

Looking forward to it now, but its the first marathon and i'm gettting nervous, the more i read about it the more i worry, have i done enough? am i eating properly? should i have done more hills? should i buy new runners for the run? did i book a b&b for cork?

jaysus, actually best go book a b&b:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I think you should go for 3:45 alright. Best to cruise with the pacers and if it begins to feel too tough you can drop back a little and still hit sub 4.

Thanks belcarra, I was reading your posts last night and it convinced me to go for the 3:45. Best of luck with breaking 3:30, no problem to you. Would love to go 3:45 here and aim for 3:30 in Dublin but I have a new arrival in September so I don't know if my OH would be happy if I was out and about again.

I paced myself at 7:00 miles for 3 miles for a tempo run and had a mile warmup and warm down on Tuesday, another 5 at mp yesterday

21 miler planned tomorrow then I'm into my taper, really looking forward to it now, on my mind everyday, I assume this is normal for a first timer.

Gotta get working on my music selection for 3:45 (radiohead and that father ted episode comes to mind!!! )

Bit of a disaster this evening, took a few hours off work this evening to get my last and longest LSR under my belt before Cork. As per earlier post i have had issues with my phone so had it in for repair and got it back with about a 61% battery on it. I thought it would be enough to keep me going so tuned into George hook to keep me company and started my run on mapmyrun and off i went. Everything going well until 14 miles, got caught in an awful shower at 12 miles but ploughed on until 14 miles and my phone went dead. At this stage my pace was 9:20 and i had no other way of knowing how far i was going or how long i was out for.

Stopped a few walkers in Tymon Park to ask them the time and tried to judge what time i should be home. Anyway, logged into mapmyrun and i think my run was just shy of 20 miles (by .2 of a mile by my reckoning) so i'll have to take that. Felt good all the way round and could have gone for another few miles but was worried i could overdo it and was worried i was up at mile 22 or 23???

Anyway, thats it, fly out to Edinburgh for a stag in the morning and then i'm into my taper, really looking forward to Cork. I must admit when i started this log i thought have of you on boards were half cracked with all this running, i must admit i'm now bitten by the bug.

Also another lesson, Lucozade sport and gels is a bad idea, stomach in knots for a little after that moment of madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Bit of a disaster this evening, took a few hours off work this evening to get my last and longest LSR under my belt before Cork. As per earlier post i have had issues with my phone so had it in for repair and got it back with about a 61% battery on it. I thought it would be enough to keep me going so tuned into George hook to keep me company and started my run on mapmyrun and off i went. Everything going well until 14 miles, got caught in an awful shower at 12 miles but ploughed on until 14 miles and my phone went dead. At this stage my pace was 9:20 and i had no other way of knowing how far i was going or how long i was out for.

Stopped a few walkers in Tymon Park to ask them the time and tried to judge what time i should be home. Anyway, logged into mapmyrun and i think my run was just shy of 20 miles (by .2 of a mile by my reckoning) so i'll have to take that. Felt good all the way round and could have gone for another few miles but was worried i could overdo it and was worried i was up at mile 22 or 23???

Anyway, thats it, fly out to Edinburgh for a stag in the morning and then i'm into my taper, really looking forward to Cork. I must admit when i started this log i thought have of you on boards were half cracked with all this running, i must admit i'm now bitten by the bug.

I'd say that run was far from a disaster! Sure, logistics failed but that's not what you should be thinking about. Instead you put in an LSR of 20 miles (forget the 0.2 crap, always round up!:D) and could have gone on for more. That puts you in a great position for your first Marathon attempt. Don't be worrying about the pace of the run either, just take all the positives from the session.

Good to hear the running bug has well and truly taken hold of you but stay away from the Radiohead music down the back of the bus!!

PS: The temptation might be to join in with the excessive drinking this weekend in Edinburgh but you know what you should do...
    Did I mention I had a stag last weekend and another next weekend and I'm fecked if I'm gonna miss out on the partying!! There's still 3 weeks to Cork so savour the first can of tennents thinking about how happy you'll be after the marathon, regardless of the time you get!!

Advertisement