Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on external insulation

• 12-12-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

I wonder if someone can give me some suggestions in relation to how to insulate the house. Me and my wife recently bought a two storey 3 bedroom semi detached house in a residential area in south Dublin, the house was built in 1990 and has no insulation in the cavity walls.

Now I have done a lot of reserach and understand that the best insulation method is the external insulation. It looks like the internal insulation method apart from being very disruptive may also cause various other problems and the cavity insulation method alone (pumping insulating material in the cavity walls) is not as efficient as the external insulation.

Anyway because of planning permission issues (the house is 50% made of red bricks like all other houses in the estate) and 50% of plain white wall, I will not be able to put external insulation on the part of the house covered with bricks which as mentioned is about 50% of the total external surface. Does it make sense to do the cavity wall insulation plus covering only 50% of the house with the external insulation or should I just go for the cavity insulation only? Basically the only parts that I can cover are the full rear side and the lower part part of the lateral side, the upper part of the later side and the front side are covered with bricks.

I got a building contractor in and they quoted me about 9000 € for the cavity insulation and the 50% external wall insulation. The size of the house is about 120 sq meters.

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help out.

Malpes180

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

Just for your information you can have an acrylic brick effect render applied to your external insulation. And you can also get brick slips for EWI.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

+1 with icbarros

but you'll get no guarantees that the brick slips will be exactly matched..

malpes180
    don't bother with half the external wall, as apart for the lack of efficient you may not be eligible for the grant.
    your msq is not what is costed its the external wall surface area

I would also strongly recommend you go with one of the higher end of the ewi systems on the market, preferably one that is around on the continent for a long time. i would go directly to them and ask for their preferred list of installers in your area and then go check out their work and speak to their clients- particularly asking for jobs done several years ago - as old as possible:) best of luck

do consider carefully the details at windows/doors, eaves and ground level + read any IAB/BBA certification and guarantees offered

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

BryanF wrote: »
    +1 with icbarros

but you'll get no guarantees that the brick slips will be exactly matched..

malpes180
    don't bother with half the external wall, as apart for the lack of efficient you may not be eligible for the grant.
    your msq is not what is costed its the external wall surface area

I would also strongly recommend you go with one of the higher end of the ewi systems on the market, preferably one that is around on the continent for a long time. i would go directly to them and ask for their preferred list of installers in your area and then go check out their work and speak to their clients- particularly asking for jobs done several years ago - as old as possible:) best of luck

do consider carefully the details at windows/doors, eaves and ground level + read any IAB/BBA certification and guarantees offered

Bryan, is there any chance you could PM me some of those companies that you are aware of a relatively high standard of work.

Thanks
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 5 malpes180

Thanks for the feedback

Advertisement