Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best clothes to wear on a night out..

• 12-12-2011 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

This might not be the right place to ask this but I will say it anyway..Just looking for yer advice on what i should wear on a night out...I always sturggle to pick out good clothes especially cos I am carrying a bit extra weight..What clothes ye think would be best to make me to look a little skinnier???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Moved from tGC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

closeline wrote: »
    This might not be the right place to ask this but I will say it anyway..Just looking for yer advice on what i should wear on a night out...I always sturggle to pick out good clothes especially cos I am carrying a bit extra weight..What clothes ye think would be best to make me to look a little skinnier???

Gotta start by asking your gender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Improbable wrote: »
    Gotta start by asking your gender.

I'm gonna go with male as it was from the Gentleman's Club. What age are you, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Im male and 20 years of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

ummm carrying extra weight? im not sure but i like

a plain tshirt like from american apparel-i hate all that jack and jones stuff or even the gstar stuff with the label all over it, just too much of it out there. theres some nice t-shirts in river island/topman the odd time. for you go for a plain black to look slimmer.
    a flannel shirt not buttoned-mighnt be best for someone with excess weight, mayb a dress shirt from tommy hillfiger or something
    jeans-dont go for skinny if your carrying weight and even if your slim baggy skinny is best
    belt
    high tops-supras for me are the best

but remember bro your there to have a good time first of all with your friends yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Jeans and a nice open shirt (not one you would wear to the office, but a nice "Jack n Jones"y type one and the like) and some simple shoes (once again, not "officey" kinds!) - plain, simple and works on most shapes.

Leave the shirt untucked so that it doesn't cling to the belly area and wear some bootcut or lose fitted straight cut jeans so balance out top and bottom! Don't button the shirt up all the way (you'll look choked) but don't pull a Hasslehoff either, the first two/three open should be enough. If you want to wear a tshirt under your shirt, go with a V neck - it'll help make any excess chin look smaller - and you can open a few more buttons on the shirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Wear trousers not jeans. Find a pair of trousers that fit across the widest part of your stomach. Get them with a pleat so you can sit comfortably in them. Get them with a tapered leg so that they are slighly narrow towards the cuff. This adds the impression of height to you and makes your weight seem more proporionate to your percieved height.
    Wear your trousers on your belly, not underneath it. The waistband should be just under your bellybutton.

Stick to darker colours and avoid heavy materials like tweeds and flannels. And for the love of all thats good in the world stay away from t-shirts. They just emphasise your belly.

Try to wear a good long sleeved shirt thats similar in colour to your trousers and wear the sleeves properly, not rolled up. If your shirt and trouser colour are different/contrasting you present a great big focal point right across your belly, not a good idea.

I understand if you hate this bit of advice but a necktie and braces are great as they add vertical lines, disguising your weight a bit. Put all that together wiath a lightweight linen jacket that you can wear comfortably in the heat of a club and you are set. The open jacket adds more vertical stripes, narrowing your sillouette.

The plus side of the above is that you'll look better and feel better dressed them you would wearing jeans and a tshirt and you will get more attention if you stand out from the crowd.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

OldGoat wrote: »
    Wear trousers not jeans. Find a pair of trousers that fit across the widest part of your stomach. Get them with a pleat so you can sit comfortably in them. Get them with a tapered leg so that they are slighly narrow towards the cuff. This adds the impression of height to you and makes your weight seem more proporionate to your percieved height.
    Wear your trousers on your belly, not underneath it. The waistband should be just under your bellybutton.

Stick to darker colours and avoid heavy materials like tweeds and flannels. And for the love of all thats good in the world stay away from t-shirts. They just emphasise your belly.

Try to wear a good long sleeved shirt thats similar in colour to your trousers and wear the sleeves properly, not rolled up. If your shirt and trouser colour are different/contrasting you present a great big focal point right across your belly, not a good idea.

I understand if you hate this bit of advice but a necktie and braces are great as they add vertical lines, disguising your weight a bit. Put all that together wiath a lightweight linen jacket that you can wear comfortably in the heat of a club and you are set. The open jacket adds more vertical stripes, narrowing your sillouette.

The plus side of the above is that you'll look better and feel better dressed them you would wearing jeans and a tshirt and you will get more attention if you stand out from the crowd.

No offence but pleated trousers, braces, tie and a jacket are a bit OTT for an average night out, especially for a 20 yr old. It might distract from his excess weight, but thats not much use if the whole place thinks hes dressed like a knob (again i dont mean to offend and realise from your other posts that you have a style that you like, but its hardly a suitable style for someone selfconcious. )

dude a guy id recommend to use as an example is sean kingson, dudes a fatass but he slick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

ceegee wrote: »
    No offence but pleated trousers, braces, tie and a jacket are a bit OTT for an average night out, especially for a 20 yr old. It might distract from his excess weight, but thats not much use if the whole place thinks hes dressed like a knob (again i dont mean to offend and realise from your other posts that you have a style that you like, but its hardly a suitable style for someone selfconcious. )
    Absolutly no offence taken. I profered an opinion based on years of experience on clothes, fashions and fit. It's up to the OP to make of it what he will. If the only opinion offered here is to wear jeans and a t-shirt then it's pretty pointless having a forum to talk about style fashion and whats appropiate or not.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

OldGoat wrote: »
    Absolutly no offence taken. I profered an opinion based on years of experience on clothes, fashions and fit. It's up to the OP to make of it what he will. If the only opinion offered here is to wear jeans and a t-shirt then it's pretty pointless having a forum to talk about style fashion and whats appropiate or not.
    I agree on the tshirt/jeans aspect, and on your recommended clothes giving a better fit. In fact for someone a few years older Id probably offer pretty much the same advice as you. Just think the vast majority of 20 yo men should stay away from formal dress unless its required, you need to be a bit of milage on the clock to pull it off without looking like youre coming from your confirmation.

I think somewhere in the middle is best for the op, Id probably go with a blazer/jacket over jeans, can look well on a larger frame if its fits properly and isnt too OTT

Thanks for the advie but I wouldnt be that big into clothes so some suggestions I am not fully aware of. Images would be great if possible. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

My best advice would be to invest in a really good pair of jeans that fit well. A pattern shirt, do not get a plain shirt it will show up all your bumps and lumps. Also a blazer like this http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/us/en/zara-us-W2011/119503/498006/CHECKED%2BBLAZER

canonball5 wrote: »
    My best advice would be to invest in a really good pair of jeans that fit well. A pattern shirt, do not get a plain shirt it will show up all your bumps and lumps. Also a blazer like this http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/us/en/zara-us-W2011/119503/498006/CHECKED%2BBLAZER

There is no way I would wear a blazer like that..I have never seen any of my friends wear something like that before ha but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

There is no way I would wear a blazer like that..I have never seen any of my friends wear something like that before ha but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

what do you and your friends normally wear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

God I want that blazer...

Its very nice alright. Take a look at the tartan one in the other colour;)

Anymore suggestions/pictures..I usually go with simple clothes...blue/black jeans..t shirt with a collar and a jacket..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ming89

i would suggest going onto a site like asos.com, you can browse through loads of outfits that have been put together and its great for getting ideas for mens ands womens outfits.

http://www.asos.com/Men/New-In-Clothing/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=6993

i find the outfits and looks section great for getting inspiration. hope this helps!

ming89 wrote: »
    i would suggest going onto a site like asos.com, you can browse through loads of outfits that have been put together and its great for getting ideas for mens ands womens outfits.

http://www.asos.com/Men/New-In-Clothing/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=6993

i find the outfits and looks section great for getting inspiration. hope this helps!

Thanks

• Advertisement

Unfortunately nothing on that site that I have worn...I normally go for the boring jeans that are wide at the bottom..do ye think I could pull off something stylier.

model yourself after a celebrity man its what i do with justin bieber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Unfortunately nothing on that site that I have worn...I normally go for the boring jeans that are wide at the bottom..do ye think I could pull off something stylier.

Yes, i don't understand the obsession with bootcut jeans in this country they are such an ugly cut yet majority of men seem to wear them.
    I would avoid anything with a strong taper as it's going to draw attention to your midsection. Go for a straight cut with a medium rise in a deep indigo or dark color, a simple plain pair (no obvious logos,cinch backs) and no distressing. You really have to go out and spend a day or two trying on loads of jeans of different brands until you find the one that fits best. Remember too that they should fit you snug at the start as jeans always stretch out with wear, if you need a belt from the start then they are too big.
    I think boots look better with jeans, so i'd be looking at some ankle boots, you could go black, grey or maybe a very deep brown. Chelsea's, Side Zips or laced so there is choice, just don't get timberlands or construction boots.
    T-shirts plain crew neck (slightly loose) or maybe a slight v or u neck, i would probably avoid white and go for greys, deep or earthy tones.
    Shirts, avoid bold patterns, a micro gingham would be good or just plain darker colors (lots of choice this time of year)
    OK
    http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/ie/en/zara-I2011/119504/496020/HOUND%27S%2BTOOTH%2BCHECKED%2BSHIRT
    AVOID
    http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/ie/en/zara-I2011/119504/527541/CHECK%2BSHIRT
    Knitwear you have loads of choice again sticking to more muted colors avoiding big patterns, look at fine knits, chucky knits, cardigans huge choice out there. Don't have a big white crew neck under a jumper get some vests instead.
    A simple clean looking blazer or good fitting jacket or coat and your good to go, can always thrown a scarf on these nights.
    I haven't shopped there but the Zara site looks pretty good for this stuff.

Advertisement