Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definitive book on Che Guevara

Options
  • 12-12-2011 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

What is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MrSing

thanks for moving

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson is good and generally the one people go for, but I prefered Companero by Jorge Castaneda.

Obviously the work by Che himself is essential reading if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

MrSing wrote: »
    What is it?
    I know its an old thread but in case anyone new wants to know its, "Che Guevara A Revolutionary Life". Written by Jon Lee Anderson.. The best biography I've read and a book i'd recommend to any reader...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

I enjoyed Companero by Jorge Castaneda. I get the impression the author had been a big fan, but the more he learned through researching, the more complex a picture developed. What I came away from the book was a portrait of Che as a man who was idealistic, and very dedicated and hard working towards his goals of making the word a better/Marxist place. Unfortunately he arrogant in assuming he knew best - he didn't always. He was incompentant at times, e.g. Congo and Bolivia, and his role overseeing the Cuban economy. And his belief in Marxism blinded him to the suffering caused by Communist governments, e.g. his support for the 1956 Soviet invasion of Hungary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Obviously the work by Che himself is essential reading if your interested.

I only read his Bolivian diary, and I found it far from essential. It was quite boring actually, although I confess I'm not much of a fan of published diaries, so the problem may have been with me.

I'd also recommend Anderson's book. I held a very romantic view about Che and his politics prior to reading it, and it certainly put an end to that.

A fascinating character, but dangerously single minded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement