Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifford Hospital Possible Closure

Options
  • 12-12-2011 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

As I am sure you are aware, the HSE are currently reviewing various community hospitals around the country and earmarking which facilities are to close.
    Lifford Community Hospital/County Home is just one of these facilities.

This is an issue (among many) that I feel stongly about. Although it does not currently impact on me, I have had relatives cared for at Lifford in the past as I am sure many of us on here have.

Many of the locally elected representatives are on board fighting the possible closure including Dinny McGinley (FG), Thomas Pringle (IND), Pearse Doherty (SF), Cora Harvey (SF), Charlie McConlogue (FF), Jimmy Harte (LAB), Frank McBrearty (LAB)and Brian O’Domhnaill (FF).

I am calling on those who share my concerns to lobby the above elected representatives and take the time to drop them an email on the issue. I think it is particularly important to lobby Dinny McGinley as he is currently in government. I'm not a FG supporter myself but from what I have heard anecdotally Dinny McGinley has made some strong representations on various issues in the past.

Furthermore, you can pledge your support by signing an online petition.
    This can be found by googling "lifford hospital online petition".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

the link is below (i think)

Mod edit: <SNIP> Read the forum charter please. There is a certain online "paper" that we wont allow any direct reference to be made to on this forum. We have our standards

People can google "petition against closing Lifford Hospital" and choose whatever they want to read from the search results.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I hate to say this but it does look likely that the hospital will be closed. If it closes it will tear the heart out of the community.

Quite honestly I find it disgusting that TD's and councillors representing the very parties that propose to close it can attend a public meeting to oppose the closure. Lets see if messrs McGinley and McHugh have the balls to stand up and be counted when push comes to shove. I think we all know what they will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

This is probably hearsay but i've been told that no one new has been admitted into the hospital, and it's only the old and terminal left in there. (apart from the staff of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

muffler wrote: »
    I hate to say this but it does look likely that the hospital will be closed. If it closes it will tear the heart out of the community.

Quite honestly I find it disgusting that TD's and councillors representing the very parties that propose to close it can attend a public meeting to oppose the closure. Lets see if messrs McGinley and McHugh have the balls to stand up and be counted when push comes to shove. I think we all know what they will do.

It is looking that way alright, confirmation today that the ambulance service based at Lifford will be moved to Stranorlar.

Assurances regarding Lifford's future from Dinny McGinley weren't very forthcoming at the meeting on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Maybe If Dinny passed through Lifford on his way to the Dail the odd time he would see the importance of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

|'m not local so don't shoot me, but why does Lifford have a hospital atall?

Isn't there a massive hospital in Letterkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

GetWithIt wrote: »
    |'m not local so don't shoot me, but why does Lifford have a hospital atall?

Isn't there a massive hospital in Letterkenny?

Its a community hospital mainly an old folks home type thing but for people who need nursing care as apposed to just being baby sat, but if the hospital closes it will put more pressure on the other community hospitals (and LGH) in the county eg st joesephs in stranorlar which will bring down their standard of care, people wont get to be in their locality in their final years, the economic impact on lifford would be substantial a hospital like that brings a lot of money into a town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Don't if it's still the same but I remember my uncle being in it for a couple of weeks for post operative care. It freed up a bed in LGH and he was still able to get nursing care until he was fit to go home.

Advertisement