Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you have on your headstone?

• 12-12-2011 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭

For me, it's this old gem:

"There (s)he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."- Raoul Duke, "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

**** that i wanna be burned and my ash dumped at the top of k2 :cool: or some were else :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

"here doesnt lie saila, he was burned in a crematorium so fcuk off"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

"Bollox. I wasn't expecting that".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

My name and date of birth/date of death, that is all. No need for a witty quote about death and the fragility of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hasmunch
    1986 - 2037
    Loved his life as a dickhead
    RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Padgeman

"I told you I was sick."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Respawn in 3...2...1...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

A capstone. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

The Lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I'm more of a walking into the ocean type of guy.

• Advertisement

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    My name and date of birth/date of death, that is all. No need for a witty quote about death and the fragility of life.

Do you believe in an after life?

I don't. I know the last they will see of me will be when they see me hit the big sleep. I see your point about the fragility of life, but my take on it would be this;

I'm the kind of person that tries to stay positive about everything, regardless of how shyte life gets. I've always been a messer, and love laughs and drinks with my family. Anyone who knows me genuinely will be able to say without a blink of an eye, 'she wouldn't have wanted us to be sad, it's not like her at all'. Then I'd love to think my family would be able to huddle, have some drinks and remember the time we had together.

Death can be a time of sadness and loss, but it can also be a time of remembrance and unity.

My way out would be me being cheeky, it's how they'd know me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

She lived,once a pun a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

They lied! Waiting behind a wall doesn't work!

Abi wrote: »
    [/B]

Do you believe in an after life?

I don't. I know the last they will see of me will be when they see me hit the big sleep. I see your point about the fragility of life, but my take on it would be this;

I'm the kind of person that tries to stay positive about everything, regardless of how shyte life gets. I've always been a messer, and love laughs and drinks with my family. Anyone who knows me genuinely will be able to say without a blink of an eye, 'she wouldn't have wanted us to be sad, it's not like her at all'. Then I'd love to think my family would be able to huddle, have some drinks and remember the time we had together.

Death can be a time of sadness and loss, but it can also be a time of remembrance and unity.

My way out would be me being cheeky, it's how they'd know me :)

I'm undecided about an after-life.

I suppose it'd be nice to put something there if it would give your family comfort.

It's not really my style though and I wouldn't put something on my headstone just for the sake putting something there. I'd rather say anything I had to to my family and close friends before I went. Or perhaps write them something longer and more meaningful than a line.

My family know, if something were to happen to me, I wouldn't want them to be in mourning indefinitely, that I would want them to remember the good times we shared but at the same time I think it's a bit optimistic to assume there'd be no grief after a death. A certain amount of grief is healthy.

I find putting quotes on graves a bit blasé to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Danny Devito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Good Dad Good Son

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

"Here lies Mickrock

And why not?"

It doesn't really sum up anything. It's the first thing I could think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Best Before:- (Date of death)

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    I'm undecided about an after-life.

I suppose it'd be nice to put something there if it would give your family comfort.

It's not really my style though and I wouldn't put something on my headstone just for the sake putting something there. I'd rather say anything I had to to my family and close friends before I went. Or perhaps write them something longer and more meaningful than a line.

My family know, if something were to happen to me, I wouldn't want them to be in mourning indefinitely, that I would want them to remember the good times we shared but at the same time I think it's a bit optimistic to assume there'd be no grief after a death. A certain amount of grief is healthy.

I find putting quotes on graves a bit blasé to be honest.

I'm not trying to block their grief, I'd like to think I could ease it however. I'm not opposed to grieving, I'd just hate to see anyone suffer. Especially with a sudden death.

My father lost his sister a couple of months ago, totally unexpected, it was a tumour. He has been lost ever since, and his heart is broken. I know my Aunts sense of humour, and she would have definitely given him a one-liner if she knew she was on her way out. He should know this, but the suddeness of it all still has him. Death is no laughing matter, of course, but I like the idea of me having the final say, and something to give some comfort to those I leave behind. I don't want them wallowing in sadness.

You've one life, remember the happy experiences you've had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

i dont care i'll be dead :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

jugger wrote: »
    i dont care i'll be dead :(

Well you will with that attitude anyway:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Padgeman wrote: »
    "I told you I was sick."

Maybe they'll let you put it in English, unlike poor old Spike, who had to put it in Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Padgeman wrote: »
    "I told you I was sick."

The comedian,Spike Milligan got there before you.:pac:

Abi wrote: »
    I'm not trying to block their grief, I'd like to think I could ease it however. I'm not opposed to grieving, I'd just hate to see anyone suffer. Especially with a sudden death.

My father lost his sister a couple of months ago, totally unexpected, it was a tumour. He has been lost ever since, and his heart is broken. I know my Aunts sense of humour, and she would have definitely given him a one-liner if she knew she was on her way out. He should know this, but the suddeness of it all still has him. Death is no laughing matter, of course, but I like the idea of me having the final say, and something to give some comfort to those I leave behind. I don't want them wallowing in sadness.

You've one life, remember the happy experiences you've had.

Well whatever offers comfort is great and I don't see any problem with it. I just personally wouldn't want something written on my headstone.

I wouldn't want anyone close to me to wallow in grief either. I imagine they would remember all the happy experiences we had together as a matter of course, I know I remember the happy times I had with my grandparents now that they are no longer here and there is nothing written on their gravestones.

Whatever works for you and yours is great, I don't object to them for what they are, it's just a personal preference :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Well you will with that attitude anyway:pac:

you first i insist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

"Oil here in 3500"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

"Oil here in 3500 4,000,000,000 AD"

fyp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Well to be honest I don't believe in an after life so whatever gives comfort to the living I'm all for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Next time round I'll show you, if you're still there. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

"Today we kill, tomorrow we die."

Advertisement