Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was contacted a few months ago by a young woman I know who is a former neighbour of my sister's in Canada. She is 19 years of age and is a very bright, attractive and good-hearted girl.

Unfortunately I found out a few months ago that she is struggling with severe depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder to the point where she has had to put her university course on hold. I also suffer from anxiety and depression so I gave her a good bit of advice.

This evening, she contacted me on Facebook chat and quickly stated that she was very suicidal and in an intense low. I tried to give her some support but it is difficult to do so via FB chat and also isn't helping my own anxiety and I'm now very worried for her. I told her to contact The Samaritans or the equivalent agency in Canada and to stay strong.

What to do?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was contacted a few months ago by a young woman I know who is a former neighbour of my sister's in Canada. She is 19 years of age and is a very bright, attractive and good-hearted girl.

Unfortunately I found out a few months ago that she is struggling with severe depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder to the point where she has had to put her university course on hold. I also suffer from anxiety and depression so I gave her a good bit of advice.

This evening, she contacted me on Facebook chat and quickly stated that she was very suicidal and in an intense low. I tried to give her some support but it is difficult to do so via FB chat and also isn't helping my own anxiety and I'm now very worried for her. I told her to contact The Samaritans or the equivalent agency in Canada and to stay strong.

What to do?:(
    try and get her to go into a hosptial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Jupiterkid,
    Yes, the quickest route to getting the necessary Professional Medical advice is for your friend to present herself at the Emergency Room in her local hospital.
    The sooner she does so the better for herself.
    Regards
    Del,
    Ps. How are you doing?

Sound advice.

How are you doing?

Best wishes,:)

Jupiterkid,
    Yes, the quickest route to getting the necessary Professional Medical advice is for your friend to present herself at the Emergency Room in her local hospital.
    The sooner she does so the better for herself.
    Regards
    Del,
    Ps. How are you doing?
    Not too bad del, terrible shakes today, but that's from the drink (or lack of it!). Staying up as long as I can tonight and got a few xanax off a buddy. I've dealt with someone like jupiter kid has mentioned, if they are bi polar, they need hospitalisation and meds immediately. I heard something that really upset me last week, as this is actually someone that was very close to me, they were seen walking around like a zombie, rambling and raving. I have done everything for this person, but I can't help them at this stage and have cut them out of my life as they were making me ill aswell.

• Advertisement

Not too bad del, terrible shakes today, but that's from the drink (or lack of it!). Staying up as long as I can tonight and got a few xanax off a buddy. I've dealt with someone like jupiter kid has mentioned, if they are bi polar, they need hospitalisation and meds immediately. I heard something that really upset me last week, as this is actually someone that was very close to me, they were seen walking around like a zombie, rambling and raving. I have done everything for this person, but I can't help them at this stage and have cut them out of my life as they were making me ill aswell.

Bench press,
    Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better.
    No harm to stay up a bit later and aim to get a proper 7/8hrs sleep.
    Is it wise to take Xanax unless prescribed?
    You are quite correct,Jupiter Kids friend needs immediate hospitalisation.
    There is only so much Jupiterkid can do, having advised the friend J. Still needs to look after his health too.
    I admire you for concentrating on your own health now.
    You need to put yourself first.
    You are very special
    You need to get the best medical advice possible.
    You need to be kind to yourself and concentrate on getting your health back.
    I keep emphasising the word You, because you are worth it.
    Keep up the good work.
    Sincerely,
    Del

Unfortunately I need the xanax, as my average alcohol consumption daily is at disgusting levels compared to any normal person, my nerves are totally shattered. I could not leave the house today and I might be not be able tommorrow. I am going to try and document this on here as best i can as I would like to help people in any way possible that is suffering like I am. I know there is a way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Unfortunately I need the xanax, as my average alcohol consumption daily is at disgusting levels compared to any normal person, my nerves are totally shattered. I could not leave the house today and I might be not be able tommorrow. I am going to try and document this on here as best i can as I would like to help people in any way possible that is suffering like I am. I know there is a way back.

You do realise that alcohol and Xanax are never meant to be mixed? Xanax increases in the effects of alcohol and as a result you may feel more likely to want more Xanax to calm the effects of alcohol starting a vicious circle that doesn't end well.

A lot of people make the mistake of taking medicines, be they prescription or otherwise, without really understanding that medicines are called such because they have pronounced effects on your body. I know a person that was taking Aspirin for years as a pain killer when it turned out that it was in fact aspirin itself that was exacerbating his pain. Self prescribing yourself medication, herbs, whatever they are, is a very risky business and you better be certain before you take them because the consequences can be quite severe if you or the professional advising you has made a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jernal wrote: »
    You do realise that alcohol and Xanax are never meant to be mixed?
    You might have missed where Bench Press said s/he was not drinking at present.

You make good points though.

Not your ornery onager

Jernal wrote: »
    You do realise that alcohol and Xanax are never meant to be mixed? Xanax increases in the effects of alcohol and as a result you may feel more likely to want more Xanax to calm the effects of alcohol starting a vicious circle that doesn't end well.

A lot of people make the mistake of taking medicines, be they prescription or otherwise, without really understanding that medicines are called such because they have pronounced effects on your body. I know a person that was taking Aspirin for years as a pain killer when it turned out that it was in fact aspirin itself that was exacerbating his pain. Self prescribing yourself medication, herbs, whatever they are, is a very risky business and you better be certain before you take them because the consequences can be quite severe if you or the professional advising you has made a mistake!
    I know what you are saying, but I think I mentioned I had some inner desire to go to sleep most nights and not wake up, so I guess that was the twisted logic behind it. I was abusing xanax and sleeping tablets when I was drinking. Terrible dose of dts last night, but sure what can you do, crappy enough day aswell I must say, as I spent it fretting over my finances, was made redundant a good while ago, so I have that added pressure. But to be honest thats the least of my problems

• Advertisement

I know what you are saying, but I think I mentioned I had some inner desire to go to sleep most nights and not wake up, so I guess that was the twisted logic behind it. I was abusing xanax and sleeping tablets when I was drinking. Terrible dose of dts last night, but sure what can you do, crappy enough day aswell I must say, as I spent it fretting over my finances, was made redundant a good while ago, so I have that added pressure. But to be honest thats the least of my problems

Bench Press,
    Take it easy, small steps first.
    Guess you have made steps in the right direction over past couple of days.
    Really believe you need to meet with GP who can prescribe the necessary medication you need to get your sleep.
    From personal experience Xanax takes away the edginess. Please call your doctor. Getting the right combination of meds can make a real difference.
    Finances and work are less important than your health.
    Take good care of yourself.:)

4 in a row! Yes got another 8 hours sleep last night.
    No time for walkies today.
    Visited my wonderful Counsellor this afternoon.
    Enjoyed watching the fantastic sunset this evening
    This has been my best week in ages:)
    Looking forward to watching the rugby over the weekend
    Having an early night, feeling exhausted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Had an awful nights sleep last night- really on edge today in work. Took a Xanax (I try not to) to calm my nerves and took and half day.

Grand Slam!

Yes I slept from 9pm to 8 am .

It is all about setting small ,realistic , achievable ,goals.

5 nights is a row, proper sleep. I have not achieved this in years.

Looking forward to a walk later on, followed by the Rugby.

Be kind to yourselves:)

efb wrote: »
    Had an awful nights sleep last night- really on edge today in work. Took a Xanax (I try not to) to calm my nerves and took and half day.

You did the right think, that is what being kind to yourself is all about:)

Fell asleep watching Scotland v Wales, woke up in second half of Ireland v France. !

Concentration is very poor, still I must have needed the sleep.:)

sad experience today, well more upsetting, found out that person I had to get removed from my life, was finally been put into the acute unit 2 weeks ago and has finally been diagnosed with what I was saying all along, severe bi-polar. Going to be there for a while, unfortunately I cannot go and see them.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I know this sounds odd but maybe this is a good day. They are going to get help for something which has now been officially confirmed. Nothing has materially changed (you know that, you said so) except now maybe they will face a problem they have been running away from...
    I wish them (and you) well!

sad experience today, well more upsetting, found out that person I had to get removed from my life, was finally been put into the acute unit 2 weeks ago and has finally been diagnosed with what I was saying all along, severe bi-polar. Going to be there for a while, unfortunately I cannot go and see them.

Of course you are upset, but for the other person at least they are now in the right place to get the medical attention they need.

It is important now that you put yourself first and get the assistance you need to get your health back on track.

How are you doing?:)

Have been unable to sleep at all tonight, despite taking all my night meds.

Feel really anxious,stressed and exhausted. It is a pity, had a good week relatively speaking, feel I am unravelling once again sliding back into Depression.

Roll on daylight, I need to get a walk and some fresh air. It is lashing rain outside.

Guess my luck ran out after the sleep Grand Slam. Thought it was too good to last.

Damn it !

Just need to start again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Have been unable to sleep at all tonight, despite taking all my night meds.

Feel really anxious,stressed and exhausted. It is a pity, had a good week relatively speaking, feel I am unravelling once again sliding back into Depression.

Roll on daylight, I need to get a walk and some fresh air. It is lashing rain outside.

Guess my luck ran out after the sleep Grand Slam. Thought it was too good to last.

Damn it !

Just need to start again.

I was gonna post with a bit of advice and then you said what I was going to say 'Just need to start again.'

You've had a big week, a strong week, a richer experience than most people would have had. You were extremely disciplined and you reaped the rewards. I'd say if you asked most people, people who are you're average sleeper they would have one night a week where things didn't happen for them.

It was a lazy sunday, ye fell asleep in the afternoon and consequently didn't get the best sleep last night. Ye got yer grand slam, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

For so long I was feeling so down and low and I reckon it was depression even though it went undianosed. I was up and down and all over the place, feeling rotten and so, so tired and a sheer emptyiness and nothingness inside of me. At times I still had some small bit of life in me, but deep down there was a very bad lowness. I was still able to laugh at times but at the same time there was a nothingness in me.
    Do you know what I mean? I suppose I wasn't a patch of the person I was.

A certain situation led to this, trying to understand what happened, led me down, for so long. Last time I posted, sometime last week, there was some sort of a contentment about the situation. I really feel I'm on my way out from this.

Many here might be able to identify with something. During my spell, I didn't care to much for cleaning. So what happens, is that my bed became choc-o-blok with things and belongings and I started taking over another room in the house. Clothes and bags strewn all over the place.
    Wait, theres mor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

After breaking my wrist I felt down and out but as it healed so did I. Now I hear my younger sister has seen a counsellor and has also taken anti depressants. I wish I knew how to help her. As a family we don't talk about our emotions. She is currently fighting with our younger sisters too. She constantly changes her hair style, has bought clothes and never worn them and seems to think buying new stuff will make her happy. I only know about the clothes because she's often given me clothes to keep with tags still on them. I really have no idea how to help her and she is trying to start fights with anyone lately too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

Eventually, my mom took over the spare bed using it to store things on, probably in the hope that i would clean up my own bed & go back to my room. But that didn't happen. I went to the couch. I always meant to clean & tidy but I kept putting it off thinking I'll do it later, but later would arrive & I'd be too tired & go to sleep. It was never my intention to take over rooms & make a mess.

Things came to a head durin the week & my mother blew up. Sheer daggers in back. There were also more issues with her because she wants a rent of me, something I'm not happy about because she's keeps comparing herself to a landlord, but she's not. I have no problem paying my way with bills & groceries, but rent is pushing it. What entitles her to being a landlady of my back. Was my birth certificate a rental lease?
    So as you can see, there a few issues that have brewed. My mother won't speak to me now. I blew up revolting in response. & there is so much tension in the air coming from her. Which is taking me down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm on Lamictal to stabilise my mood and Prozit for my lows. Must say I'm feeling better, but my meds might have to be adjusted depending on how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

Hi guys
    Hope ye are all well
    Felt okay all week, just flat and a little low at times. But not despairing. But the weekend has brought a whole load of sadness and anger.

I feel anger at my recent ex ending our relationship on his terms. But mostly I am angry I fell for him as I was happy on my own i had gone through alot until he started messing with my head, I trusted him with my heart but in the end he hurt me deeply. It's been three months & his rejection has scarred me deeply.

I feel so angry & sad, I don't want to feel this way. Theres no point to anything anymore, I just don't want this life anymore.
    No matter how I try I still feel awful. I don't recognise me anymore. I feel so alone, unloved and unwanted I just wish I could would just go to sleep & never wake up

I know probably all I need is a good cry & I will be fine. I just want the old me back

I really hope that comes soon coz I can't take this anymore

Sometimes I am fine the bang I am in the dumps again.

I know chin up deep down I know Can be stubborn but I just hope that trait gets me out of these blues
    Hope everyone is okay with everyone, if so that's great.
    If not you are not , Just blame the weather as one of the reasons that you are down that is what I am doing ;D

Feel a little better already

Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MagicStars

Thanks a million to everyone who has posted in this thread. I have read it all and it has really helped me a lot. I am determined to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

First off this is triggering. If you are even remotely susceptible to hearing about experiences of depression (up to and including suicidal ideation) having an effect on your mood and/or thinking please do not play this game.

In this game you are a depressed person navigating through life. Options aren't always available to you depending on how depressed you are. If you have never been depressed you might gain some insight into it from playing this, or you might not. Regardless, it's interesting.

http://www.depressionquest.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It can also be comforting someone to lean on- a bit like group therapy. I for one find it very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

nesf wrote: »
    First off this is triggering. If you are even remotely susceptible to hearing about experiences of depression (up to and including suicidal ideation) having an effect on your mood and/or thinking please do not play this game.

In this game you are a depressed person navigating through life. Options aren't always available to you depending on how depressed you are. If you have never been depressed you might gain some insight into it from playing this, or you might not. Regardless, it's interesting.

http://www.depressionquest.com/

Played it for a few minutes...it reminded me of what goes through my head and made me feal bad. But I just remind myself that it is specifically due to depression and that's not actually me :)

Advertisement