Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Does anyone have any tips of how to relieve tiredness related to depression? I have had one bout of "major depression" and have been seeing a psychiatrist since (18 months or so) and while my mood is fine, i am tired so much of the time, not just lately, I remember times in my early teens being sure I must have had anaemia or something. I have regular blood tests though & all is fine. I exercise 4 times a week too but don't find much relief in terms of tiredness. My doctor is very good but I only see him for a few minutes every 6 weeks or so & his main advice was to get exercising which iv done & I don't really want to start adding/changing meds which I think may be his next suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

araic88 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips of how to relieve tiredness related to depression? I have had one bout of "major depression" and have been seeing a psychiatrist since (18 months or so) and while my mood is fine, i am tired so much of the time, not just lately, I remember times in my early teens being sure I must have had anaemia or something. I have regular blood tests though & all is fine. I exercise 4 times a week too but don't find much relief in terms of tiredness. My doctor is very good but I only see him for a few minutes every 6 weeks or so & his main advice was to get exercising which iv done & I don't really want to start adding/changing meds which I think may be his next suggestion

Exercise first thing in the morning, even if it means getting up at 5am for a run. You'll feel almost unbelievably better for it after a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

COYVB wrote: »

Exercise first thing in the morning, even if it means getting up at 5am for a run. You'll feel almost unbelievably better for it after a couple of days

Thanks for reply :) iv tried that a couple of times, going spinning at 6.45, I did have great energy at work but as soon as I got home at around 4 (I'm a primary teacher) I just felt shattered and could barely function til I went to bedtime (I try not to nap during the day as I form a habit of it pretty quick!)
    maybe I should keep trying the early morning exercise, I know the people I did it with love it, I just found it a bit of an ordeal knowing id to get up at 6am, having to pack for work & use the public showers & changing room which I don't love.
    Sorry I don't mean to keep finding fault, I more so mean to ask do you think it'd be worth sticking with it regularly even though I didn't really like it when I tried it but am quite happy to head to gym in the evenings especially as I finish work quite early.
    Ramble over ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

incredibly low - to the point where i am questioning the most basic of things. leaves, trees branches, i'm proper ****ed

Jimmy,
    You were doing well lately. Chalk it down to a bad day. Take it easy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Thanks del, how are doing?

• Advertisement

Thanks del, how are doing?

Not so bad, sleeping well, though feeling a bit tired and irritable.

I'll keep taking the tablets!:)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

araic88 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply :) iv tried that a couple of times, going spinning at 6.45, I did have great energy at work but as soon as I got home at around 4 (I'm a primary teacher) I just felt shattered and could barely function til I went to bedtime (I try not to nap during the day as I form a habit of it pretty quick!)
    maybe I should keep trying the early morning exercise, I know the people I did it with love it, I just found it a bit of an ordeal knowing id to get up at 6am, having to pack for work & use the public showers & changing room which I don't love.
    Sorry I don't mean to keep finding fault, I more so mean to ask do you think it'd be worth sticking with it regularly even though I didn't really like it when I tried it but am quite happy to head to gym in the evenings especially as I finish work quite early.
    Ramble over ;)

Yeah definitely stick with it. The weird thing about exercise is that it actually gives you more energy. It might be worth trialling exercise before AND after work. You don't have to go mad, just half an hour or 45 minutes on the treadmill lightly jogging or walking fast enough to sweat each time. You might find that you actually have more energy after work than you've ever had, even though you exerted lots of energy at the gym. It's a strange one really, but it does work

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Have been reading and glancing at this thread from time to time and its great to see regular members/posters giving tips and advice and logging their progress (or setbacks). .

Heard Devore on Newstalk a while back, fair play for all the awareness you are trying to do , just cant thank you enough at how much this thread has helped . .

I read plenty of posts and can identify with much of the head wrecking emotions/moods people are going through. I am currently off medication, but to be honest, while Im having savage down moments, I would rather try to learn to spot why this is happening and work with it. Anti Depressents are good to pick up your mood, but thats the time to use trying to get to the root cause of why you are so up and down. The goal (in my view) should always be to get yourself a certain balance (with or without medication) with the long term strategy of learning what makes you tick. If you can spot the warning signs (in yourself) of when a bad mood is coming, you can at least prepare and reduce its impact by accepting its just another rainy day. .

I find that I am more able to deal with the depressing moments because slowly (very very slowly) I am learning to put my feelings into context. I have terrible knockbacks and just when I think I am making progress I feel like I have taken 3 steps back, but right now, I am determined to feel ok now. . One of the biggest things is to try not to focus on what has happened in the past (that upsets/worry me) or worry about what might happen in the future (that may upset/worry me).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MagicStars

Side effects of my antidepressants have started to ease off now and I'm feeling a lot better. Spent most of the week lounging around in bed. My counsellor told me I have severe depression, which I actually wasn't expecting. Was a bit of a shock tbh and its a bit scary knowing that, since I wasn't really bothered about counselling in the first place. I've been saying to people its mild or just a phase....
    I think I'm really happy in my depression sometimes, I have no want or desire in me to go out, do anything or meet people. I love this little nest I've created for myself, its safe, peaceful and cosy here and sometimes I think I could live like this forever.

Take care everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

today is being difficult,i hope it passes soon...

• Advertisement

Helping some younger students in college in the coming weeks. My motto lately as I hover around the gutter is 'I know I can't help myself, but I can help others feel what I would feel if I could'

To do: come up with snappier motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Helping some younger students in college in the coming weeks. My motto lately as I hover around the gutter is 'I know I can't help myself, but I can help others feel what I would feel if I could'

Thanks for making me laugh! :)

(and fair play for helping others)

Good on you friend! Well done on helping the younger students. I believe you will get rewarded with good health!

Here's a moto . If things don't change they stay the same!

Have a great week at college

Regards

Del:)

Feeling better today but I still have that really blank uninterested spaced out expression on my face that drives people mental when they talk to me. I'm so difficult to have a conversation with, I can barely keep track of what people say to me. Sometimes I find it so hard to actually hear everything and register it. :( It can be so hard living with people, I wish I lived on my own sometimes so I could just hide away.

MagicStars wrote: »
    Feeling better today but I still have that really blank uninterested spaced out expression on my face that drives people mental when they talk to me. I'm so difficult to have a conversation with, I can barely keep track of what people say to me. Sometimes I find it so hard to actually hear everything and register it. :( It can be so hard living with people, I wish I lived on my own sometimes so I could just hide away.

Put yourself first. Don't worry about what other people think.
    Your priority is to get yourself better.
    Take good care of yourself.
    Be kind to and spoil yourself.
    Even a mini break or holiday may give you the necessary space you wish for
    Best wishes:)

fell low again just there. I make of point of not looking directly at mirrors or even reflective surfaces (makes shaving difficult) but I looked in our fridge (reflective) and it's like the bottom falls out of me. I keep putting a brave face on but I've aged 20 years in about 2.

The hard part is I know I had the capacity to do great things, help people, entertain people, get involved with women again but I just can't take it. It hurts like heartbreak every time :(

At a loss at this stage, I mean I can probably keep up this hermit lifestyle but I recently got back in touch with an ex and it's like that la roux song, goes: We can fight our desires, but if we start making fires we get ever so hot.

bleh

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Have that problem so often. I fake smiles and **** and just say "yeah" as if i'm agreeing with whatever they are saying and hoping it doesn't backfire.

They tell me i'm a great listener :pac:

Put yourself first. Don't worry about what other people think.
    Your priority is to get yourself better.
    Take good care of yourself.
    Be kind to and spoil yourself.
    Even a mini break or holiday may give you the necessary space you wish for
    Best wishes:)

Thanks Del, I suppose I shouldn't worry so much about it and just aim to get better.
    BrianG23 wrote: »
    Have that problem so often. I fake smiles and **** and just say "yeah" as if i'm agreeing with whatever they are saying and hoping it doesn't backfire.

They tell me i'm a great listener :pac:

I know what you mean, sometimes I feel like I've been pretending to be happy and lively for years just so people don't get annoyed with me. It is so tiring though, I just want to shut myself off from everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I know what you mean, sometimes I feel like I've been pretending to be happy and lively for years just so people don't get annoyed with me. It is so tiring though, I just want to shut myself off from everyone.
    I know the feeling (and many others in this thread) but its due to a disorder I have, not depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

fell low again just there. I make of point of not looking directly at mirrors or even reflective surfaces (makes shaving difficult) but I looked in our fridge (reflective) and it's like the bottom falls out of me. I keep putting a brave face on but I've aged 20 years in about 2.

The hard part is I know I had the capacity to do great things, help people, entertain people, get involved with women again but I just can't take it. It hurts like heartbreak every time :(

At a loss at this stage, I mean I can probably keep up this hermit lifestyle but I recently got back in touch with an ex and it's like that la roux song, goes: We can fight our desires, but if we start making fires we get ever so hot.

bleh
    Sorry in advance if you have answered / stated this before.

Are you getting professional counselling for this issue? Sounds to me like something a good counsellor could really help with.

Re shaving - have you tried a good electric razor? You don't need a mirror for that - just check with your free hand to find the areas that still need doing!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Thanks Del, I suppose I shouldn't worry so much about it and just aim to get better.

**** other people, you absolutely must put yourself first, if you are to get better.
    What they think or say about you is irrelevant, they have their own problems to deal with.
    You and your health are important to yourself. You are the priority.
    Have you spoken with a Counsellor on how you can handle these situations.?
    Give yourself some space , take a trip abroad away from the usual faces. Or book into a nice hotel in Ireland for a few days and give yourself the space you need to start you on the road to recovery . Turn off the phone for a few days. Be extremely kind to yourself. Chill out, relax , sleep, recuperate and get your Life back on track.
    We have all been in your situation, so please take great care of yourself.
    Best wishes
    Del

Esel wrote: »
    Sorry in advance if you have answered / stated this before.

Are you getting professional counselling for this issue? Sounds to me like something a good counsellor could really help with.

Re shaving - have you tried a good electric razor? You don't need a mirror for that - just check with your free hand to find the areas that still need doing!

Thanks for the tip, no I recently did invest in an electric one but im not sure it's so good so i sometimes still do the wet shave.

No counselling recently, had counselling for body dysmorphic disorder a few years ago but I think you're aware of the changes I'm talking about actually. I suppose because of body dysmorphic disorder I'm not sure how bad the hair really is, if it's not as bad as I'm thinking or if I'm in denial. I think only time will really bring acceptance though as ye probably know. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Been feeling like **** the last few days. Weather is crap, work is crap, crap crap crap. Got news this morning that an uncle of mine died after a long battle with cancer. I wouldnt have said I was close to him, but he was definatley a person I admired and respected.

I'd like to spend the next week in bed I think.

Anyone else ever get that world-ending pain? I feel it now.

Anyone wrote: »
    Been feeling like **** the last few days. Weather is crap, work is crap, crap crap crap. Got news this morning that an uncle of mine died after a long battle with cancer. I wouldnt have said I was close to him, but he was definatley a person I admired and respected.

I'd like to spend the next week in bed I think.

Do what is necessary for you to recover from your pain and shock.
    Even if that means taking some time out by getting some extra rest and sleep.
    Take good care of yourself.:)

Anyone else ever get that world-ending pain? I feel it now.

Jimmy,

Yes friend I have experienced that pain. Take it easy, the pain will ease.

Be kind to yourself

Best Regards,

Del:)

...I'm not sure how bad the hair really is, if it's not as bad as I'm thinking or if I'm in denial. I think only time will really bring acceptance though as ye probably know. We'll see.
    I think your body dysmorphic disorder tendency may have latched onto your hair issue to re-appear, if you know what I mean.

Are there any techniques you learned during your BDD-related counselling that you could apply to your current situation? If so, put them back into practice! If not, I think it would be a very good idea for you to get counselling about how you feel about your hair loss. It is something that you absolutely need to come to terms with - to accept, if you will. If you were happy with the counsellor you used for the BDD, then schedule some sessions with them - if not, then find another counsellor (via your GP preferably - at least use someone accredited to a professional body). Do this soon - set a reminder in your phone maybe?

Without knowing you, I would think that you are losing some hair, not that you have lost all your hair (because this would be very rare indeed). This happens to most men sooner or later - in your case, sooner! (them's the breaks... :)) And it normally takes a good number of years to progress to anything that could reasonably be described as being bald. Hair loss happens to some women too - just pause for a minute and imagine how that must feel for them.

If, when you see your image (important, that - your image, not you) you see an old person, when in fact you are a young man (and to an objective, impartial observer you are a young man), then that sounds like a bit of the auld dysmorphia to me.....

TL/DR Hang in there, man. Other people don't see what you think they see. Don't beat yourself up.

Not your ornery onager

pinkstars wrote: »
    Hi all

Never contributed to the thread.
    Have been very unwell for over 2 years severe anxiety panic and depression. Am finally back to work. Relationship ended in the end.

I think I just need to find ways of coping - knowing what I like to do and how to relax and must make a note of signs that could tell me I could be getting sick again.

Now my brother is suffering severe anxiety and its hard for me to deal with
    This reply is a bit late, but better late than never....

I hope things are going better for you now. Take your time settling back into work, and be sure you get plenty of rest.

It must be hard for you to see your brother suffering. You can advise him to seek professional help, and help him to do so - by going to his GP with him, or to hospital if necessary. Let him know you are there for him, but keep in mind that your primary responsibility is to yourself.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3 reg12

Anyone found any solution for distracting yourself from a big trauma from the past. Im not talking about dealing with it altogether - i get counselling. But still i wake up days where my thoughts are all of that incident and i cant enjoy any part of a normal day. Really need some distraction techniques.

• Advertisement

reg12 wrote: »
    Anyone found any solution for distracting yourself from a big trauma from the past. Im not talking about dealing with it altogether - i get counselling. But still i wake up days where my thoughts are all of that incident and i cant enjoy any part of a normal day. Really need some distraction techniques.

Well for something like that I find a movie doesn't work or watching tv because unless it's the most earthshaterringly fascinating piece of cinema/tv your mind will stay on the trauma. I do a bit of drawing or digital painting, it takes all of your focus and its just you and whatever dream-like scene you're trying to render. Pink skies etc

Anytime I have gone out for a walk (not something I often do) it freshens my mind a bit. Anything you enjoy doing that you are confident at and takes some level of concentration, or something physical basically.

EDIT: Music! forgot that, if you play an instrument like guitar or piano, do some simple chord progressions and sing along with whatever comes to mind, it can be happy or sad or desirous. It'll take your mind off things

Advertisement