Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Thanks!

I don't, but I am feeling a fair bit better today. Heading in the right direction. I'm taking it slowly, but i think the end is in sight (this is a recurring thing for me, just a lot worse than usual this time).

Hope everyone else feels better, the clouds will part.

Take good care of yourself
    Best wishes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

I'm feeling so anxious.....on the verge of panic attacks again.....I am so sick of this....I know it's cause I have so much on.......and can't deal with everything.....I feel beaten......:(

I am tired and weary.....help me please

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

pinkstars wrote: »
    I'm feeling so anxious.....on the verge of panic attacks again.....I am so sick of this....I know it's cause I have so much on.......and can't deal with everything.....I feel beaten......:(

Keep your head up. What's upsetting you? Take a rational measure of it and you'll see it's smaller than you think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Allie from Hyperbole and a Half has written another great post on depression, link below.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ie/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Boogietime wrote: »
    Keep your head up. What's upsetting you? Take a rational measure of it and you'll see it's smaller than you think ;)

Maybe cause I only now have realised myself and brother and sister all have mental health problems that must have been herititary. My dad can't take anymore. I feel so bad for him. I was out sick for 2 years after having my baby. I was a quivering mess and could not leave the house. What bad times....Got myself back to work and my relationship broke down. My sister's marriage ended just before this. Social workers involved with her kids now....My brother tried to commit suicide two weeks ago. He was left out of hospital but is staying with my dad. He's not allowed go to his own home as he has 2 kids. I think my dad feels so beaten and now he thinks my brothers marriage is gone now too. My brother is suffering anxiety at the moment also, but it wasn't as near as bad as mine. I just think the whole thing is f**ked.

Aswell as that I started my daugher in creche yesterday. She is crying when I am leaving......saying don't go mummy I be sad :(
    I think I needed to do that to give my dad a break, - he minds her 3 days a week. Although I think when he has my little girl it is the only thing that keeps him going.....

My daughter won't sleep at night it's after 10 when she goes to bed and my house is a mess - I'm working full time......

My brother and sister don't talk to each other, I am the go between....
    Just have had enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I don't know how many might be familliar with cartoonist Allie Brosh and her online strip 'Hyperbole and a Half', before she took an 18 month hiatus she wrote a stunning blog strip about her clinical depression, and has returned to work with another peice that discusses both depression and her recovery in her own cute and sardonic way that describes depression in a manner that everybody should both read and understand.

Take a look, it will I asure you be worth your while:

Firstly make time for yourself, eat, rest, relax and play.

Now draw up a list of priorities, you like everyone else can only deal with one thing at a time. Identify the issues in order of importance and deal with them, one at a time.

Sometimes the option to say no is overlooked. Perhaps you are the willing horse, can you delegate some of the issues, say no, or ask for help.

You are the most important thing in your life, if you don't look after yourself first, no one else will. It may sound harsh and selfish, but it is reality.

Are there ways to work smarter not harder, time management.

Life is for living, be very kind to yourself.

If you feel you are not coping at the moment or have simply become overwhelmed by the daily grind, please consult with your GP. Your health and welfare is their priority. You and your health are extremely precious.

Take good care of yourself.

Best wishes

Maybe cause I only now have realised myself and brother and sister all have mental health problems that must have been herititary. My dad can't take anymore. I feel so bad for him. I was out sick for 2 years after having my baby. I was a quivering mess and could not leave the house. What bad times....Got myself back to work and my relationship broke down. My sister's marriage ended just before this. Social workers involved with her kids now....My brother tried to commit suicide two weeks ago. He was left out of hospital but is staying with my dad. He's not allowed go to his own home as he has 2 kids. I think my dad feels so beaten and now he thinks my brothers marriage is gone now too. My brother is suffering anxiety at the moment also, but it wasn't as near as bad as mine. I just think the whole thing is f**ked.

Aswell as that I started my daugher in creche yesterday. She is crying when I am leaving......saying don't go mummy I be sad :(
    I think I needed to do that to give my dad a break, - he minds her 3 days a week. Although I think when he has my little girl it is the only thing that keeps him going.....

My daughter won't sleep at night it's after 10 when she goes to bed and my house is a mess - I'm working full time......

Just have had enough!

It seems you have a lot on your head...
    You need a little break now and then, that's for sure :)
    Prioritize and understand which people will receive that amount of attention that you can provide so you'll stay healthy. If you want to help them, exhausting yourself won't be a long term solution. So manage your peace and calm, don't throw it all away:)

And first off, get everyone to the doc's, it's really important that the start a form of treatment. As much as you would like, you shouldn't handle it all, seeing as you're a mother (in my books that's the most important part).

And for your own sake, take a break from it! :)

Just have had enough!

Wow! You certainly have a lot on your plate and can understand how you are feeling . Nonetheless all these challenges thrown at us can be dealt with in time
    As I said in my earlier post which crossed with your latest post, you need to look after yourself first. Please consult with your GP as early as possible. You need to get assistance and support from your GP . It would cheer me up greatly today if you confirm this pm that you have made an appointment to see your GP.
    Please keep posting

Boogietime wrote: »
    It seems you have a lot on your head...
    You need a little break now and then, that's for sure :)
    Prioritize and understand which people will receive that amount of attention that you can provide so you'll stay healthy. If you want to help them, exhausting yourself won't be a long term solution. So manage your peace and calm, don't throw it all away:)

And first off, get everyone to the doc's, it's really important that the start a form of treatment. As much as you would like, you shouldn't handle it all, seeing as you're a mother (in my books that's the most important part).

And for your own sake, take a break from it! :)

Very good advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I've had a bout of depression which started about two months ago relatively mild but has got worse until getting a bit overwhelming recently. This is the second major one in my life.

I think it will pass and it's not crippling, but given that exercise doesn't help, anyone got any non-medical tips on how to pull myself out?
    Vitamin supplements could help. B6, B12, and D especially.

You say that your depression has got worse until getting a bit overwhelming recently, but that you think it will pass and it's not crippling. There is a contradiction there, I think. Nothing is a bit overwhelming. Admittedly, it may (and probably will) pass, but until it does it may get even more severe.

Have you tried meditation? It can help, but you have to stick with it.

Also, challenging your negative thoughts works. When you find yourself feeling bad, stop and think back to what (in the immediate past) caused that bad feeling to surface.

For example, say you suddenly feel worthless / suicidal. Stop there. Recall your previous thought. Maybe it was because you didn't get around to doing a job you were supposed to do (that could be just cutting the grass, or finishing a work or school/college project), or because you have just finished a relationship or had an argument with a good friend.

Whatever the reason, the fact is that there is a reason. Stopping to identify that reason can stop the bad feeling in its tracks. You realise that you are feeling bad because of that reason.

However, do not shy away from seeking help from your GP or an accredited counsellor / therapist if your depression persists.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I feel completely gone. I've never felt this far gone before. Was going to talk to my mam but there's nothing she can do, I've talked to her before but it is pointless. Nobody can help me (and I'm saying that from an experienced standpoint) because I am not happy with circumstances and these circumstances can't change. Sure, my attitude to them could but it won't. It's strange thinking that my younger years were actually me, experienced by me, the exact same person now as then. Feels like I just watched it my childhood on tv and it wasn't me.

Basically I'm ****ed and hopeless and have no way out as cliched as that sounds. I can't talk my way out of this, medication can't change it (that is a fact) and I'm left as an expiring body and nothing else.

Wish I was young again but I won't be. I'm just not interested in being here as me anymore.
    See the bit I bolded?

You will come to terms with your issues, and at some time in the future you will come to realise that they were nowhere as important or as serious as you thought they were.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

I don't suffer with depression or anything,I might get fed up sometimes but I'm sure everyone does from time to time but I must say I find vitamin D great for my moods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

House-sharing and depression don't mix. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This is very true I found

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

Truley wrote: »
    Allie from Hyperbole and a Half has written another great post on depression, link below.

Got this via Julia Nunes on FB, but Truley beat me to it, cheers, sir/ma'am.

This is *exactly* what depression is about; perfectly described with helpful cartoons for lolz.

Also, I'll be fecked if this thread is getting off the first page of AH. Be well, fellow posters, whatever ails you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was in great form at the start of this week but since Thursday morning I've been filled with anxiety and worry - too anxious to leave my house without a massive effort, even anxious to venture beyond my bedroom door.:(

I wish that this anxiety didn't control me.

My story: I've had depression since 2009 and since then have only managed a period of a few months where I was able to survive without medication. I've lost a little weight recently, which has improved my confidence a bit because I've always been overweight and felt unattractive because of it, but am worried that when I go through low patches it'll all creep up again, hence leading to even more low patches.

I'm 23, still feel unattractive, lonely and single (but too afraid to ask anyone out) and have absolutely no clue what I want to do with my life. Some days I try to remind myself to just take every day as it comes but it's so difficult not to feel overwhelmed by the future and what responsibilities and difficulties lie ahead. I'm so not ready to be a grown-up yet.... :(

I get on really well with my housemates but sometimes I just find myself avoiding them for no reason. I was supposed to go watch a friend of mine perform at an open mic night tonight but the thought of having to interact with other people today became too much so I just stayed at home drinking and munching on comfort food. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm on Prozac for Depression and Lamictal for Mood Stabilisation, but I still seem to get bursts of copious amounts of energy. Is that common or just me? I'm still not being treated for paranoia and feel I may have issues with Psychotic episodes on occasion. I could just be clutching at straws, as I still feel a bit all over the place, but paranoid on occasion.

I got overly passionate about a dismissal from my previous job and sent a mail to someone in HR while CCing my old first line manager. I'd say I was one step off going completely nuts and had to keep reading over the email compulsively until I was happy with it. I must have read the mail in it's entirety atleast 10/15 times before sending it and felt some devious connotations attached to sending it, like getting the knife in one last time before I completely drop the issue.

Just wondering if the above screams alarm bells. I'm used to impulsive behaviour prior to being treated, but nothing like passionately arguing my case from how I see it, as well as calling a spade a spade. Anyone else see a problem with this?

Quick background before answering my last question though. My old manager only consulted the Company Nurse who honestly admitted being unable to assist in providing recommendations to management for someone with Bipolar Disorder. I worked in a fast paced, highly technical support position with Software Development as a side to my main roles including continuous communication with my team and clients, communication being the most challenging. So with Bipolar, there was great difficulty in remaining consistent and neither my manager and company nurse were capable of assisting, so I was let go. The only person capable of providing an assessment and best practices to help me was my Psychiatrist and I did not see one for atleast a month after leaving my job, an appointment which was rushed after a night spent in the Emergency Room for an acute panic attack and an attempt made on my own life, things which were faffed off and disregarded by management.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was in great form at the start of this week but since Thursday morning I've been filled with anxiety and worry - too anxious to leave my house without a massive effort, even anxious to venture beyond my bedroom door.:(

I wish that this anxiety didn't control me.

Jupiter,
    I understand.
    Take it easy for the rest of the weekend. Gently coax yourself out to get some fresh air. Go for a walk 30/40 mins. try to clear your head and experience some of the nice things that nature provides us, sun, showers, flowers, trees and shrubs. Try and distract yourself with these sights. Try and let your anxiety go, deep breaths while walking, get the positive chemicals transferred to your brain.
    Give it a try, it is worth checking out and start turning the table on anxiety. You know you can do it. Keep posting and update please.
    Sincerest Regards
    Del

My story: I've had depression since 2009 and since then have only managed a period of a few months where I was able to survive without medication. I've lost a little weight recently, which has improved my confidence a bit because I've always been overweight and felt unattractive because of it, but am worried that when I go through low patches it'll all creep up again, hence leading to even more low patches.

I'm 23, still feel unattractive, lonely and single (but too afraid to ask anyone out) and have absolutely no clue what I want to do with my life. Some days I try to remind myself to just take every day as it comes but it's so difficult not to feel overwhelmed by the future and what responsibilities and difficulties lie ahead. I'm so not ready to be a grown-up yet.... :(

I get on really well with my housemates but sometimes I just find myself avoiding them for no reason. I was supposed to go watch a friend of mine perform at an open mic night tonight but the thought of having to interact with other people today became too much so I just stayed at home drinking and munching on comfort food. :(

We are all made differently, hence we are individual in our looks , interests, tastes etc.
    You are young and are just beginning your journey in life.I would swap with you but can't.
    So what changes are you going to make, play sport, join a gymn, cycle , play tennis go hillwalking? All of the above outlets can help you keep trim both emotionally and physically. In addition it is a great way to get out and meet people.........
    Live in the Now, no one knows what the future holds. Go out there and enjoy life, ask someone out to dinner or a movie,it isn't like you are committing yourself to marry them. Of course they may be the right person for you and hey if there is a whirlwind romance I expect an invitation to the big day.
    Ok it is a pity you did not go out tonight, but there will be plenty more occasions. Life is for living , go grab it!

Itzy wrote: »
    I'm on Prozac for Depression and Lamictal for Mood Stabilisation, but I still seem to get bursts of copious amounts of energy. Is that common or just me? I'm still not being treated for paranoia and feel I may have issues with Psychotic episodes on occasion. I could just be clutching at straws, as I still feel a bit all over the place, but paranoid on occasion.

I got overly passionate about a dismissal from my previous job and sent a mail to someone in HR while CCing my old first line manager. I'd say I was one step off going completely nuts and had to keep reading over the email compulsively until I was happy with it. I must have read the mail in it's entirety atleast 10/15 times before sending it and felt some devious connotations attached to sending it, like getting the knife in one last time before I completely drop the issue.

Just wondering if the above screams alarm bells. I'm used to impulsive behaviour prior to being treated, but nothing like passionately arguing my case from how I see it, as well as calling a spade a spade. Anyone else see a problem with this?

Quick background before answering my last question though. My old manager only consulted the Company Nurse who honestly admitted being unable to assist in providing recommendations to management for someone with Bipolar Disorder. I worked in a fast paced, highly technical support position with Software Development as a side to my main roles including continuous communication with my team and clients, communication being the most challenging. So with Bipolar, there was great difficulty in remaining consistent and neither my manager and company nurse were capable of assisting, so I was let go. The only person capable of providing an assessment and best practices to help me was my Psychiatrist and I did not see one for atleast a month after leaving my job, an appointment which was rushed after a night spent in the Emergency Room for an acute panic attack and an attempt made on my own life, things which were faffed off and disregarded by management.

Itzy,

There are two main issues here, one your health, secondly your recent dismissal from work.

My suggestions are firstly to let your doctors treat you as necessary, their priority is your health , and getting you better.

Regarding the work situation, I am reading that you were unfairly treated at work. It may be worth speaking with an Employment Law Specialist. Your employers owe you a duty of care while working in their employment. If someone has BiPolar , why should they be less favourably treated than someone with Ms or a broken leg.

If you wish to PM me I can give you the name of an Employment Law Firm should you wish to check your legal options

Meanwhile try and relax for the weekend.

Best wishes,

Del

Festy wrote: »
    I don't suffer with depression or anything,I might get fed up sometimes but I'm sure everyone does from time to time but I must say I find vitamin D great for my moods.

If vitamin D regulates your moods so well, you might have a stomach condition. There's a virus that eats up all of vitamin D instead of letting it assimilate in your body. So you need extra pumps to allow some to be taken in by your body. Don't remember what that virus is called but your doctor should know. Just go for a visit and tell them your symptoms and they'll figure it out.

later edit: found it, it's coeliac disease.

We are all made differently, hence we are individual in our looks , interests, tastes etc.
    I guess but I wish I was made differently. In so so many aspects. It doesn't comfort me to know that I'm unique 'cause everyone else is too! There's nothing special about that.
    You are young and are just beginning your journey in life.I would swap with you but can't.
    I know I'm young but it really doesn't feel like that sometimes. I feel about 16 in my head but then if I see teenagers on the street it makes me feel like I'm about 50.
    So what changes are you going to make, play sport, join a gymn, cycle , play tennis go hillwalking? All of the above outlets can help you keep trim both emotionally and physically. In addition it is a great way to get out and meet people.........
    Gym's too expensive, I'm terrible at team sports and I haven't been on a bike since I was about 10 and fell off one. :o I go walking every so often and have a pedometer to help but it's rainy over here at the moment which is a big deterrent.
    Live in the Now, no one knows what the future holds. Go out there and enjoy life, ask someone out to dinner or a movie,it isn't like you are committing yourself to marry them. Of course they may be the right person for you and hey if there is a whirlwind romance I expect an invitation to the big day.
    Thing is I don't believe in a "right person", all I'm looking for is someone who's a bit less wrong than others! And it's not like I'm looking to settle down and be with someone forever or anything, I just wish there was someone that wouldn't coil in horror at the prospect of dating me. Of course, if I ever do have a relationship again there's the obstacle of disclosing my "illness" to them. Twice I've been dumped because I was deemed "too difficult" to be with, despite me being nothing but 100% honest about my depression and giving them plenty of get-out chances before things got serious.
    Ok it is a pity you did not go out tonight, but there will be plenty more occasions. Life is for living , go grab it!
    I don't know, I'm just sick of nights out now. Anytime I go to a club I basically lose my friends ('cause they're all off pulling or something) and so I just spend way too much time and money at the bar. Alone.

I normally vent my frustrations on Twitter but my brother-in-law started following me so I have to be careful what I say. The one thing I've always done with my depression is keep it away from my family; I don't want them to just see me as their depressed son/brother and they have enough other crap to deal with besides worrying about me. I know they know about it but they also know I don't want them involved, and thus far they've respected that.

I know they know about it but they also know I don't want them involved, and thus far they've respected that.

I got nowhere until my family found out about my situation. After that, I slowly recovered. It takes time but the people around you need to fully understand. Otherwise they're worried for worse, trust me. And it'll take a stone off your heart since you have to hide it and all that. Maybe not everyone but your closest members need to know so they can respect the distance or the closeness needed and aid you in it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Feeling a little more even today, which is good. Still having my ups and downs, but they're feeling a lot less destructive and more normalised.

It's Mothers Day in most of the world (except here and the UK for some reason) and I'm missing my mum - she's been gone 23 years but there still isn't a single day that I don't think about her and miss her.:( I wasn't yet 15 when she died suddenly at the age of 46.

Also found out that my sister in Holland, who is recovering from a stroke, is very upset that my nephew (her son) is refusing to visit her today for Mothers day.:(

Anxious today but trying to keep it together...

I know only too well that Anxiety is something that you feel in the moment in time will never go away and is utterly distressing. It will pass and hopefully your family will see it through Jupiter. All the best.

• Advertisement

Itzy wrote: »
    I know only too well that Anxiety is something that you feel in the moment in time will never go away and is utterly distressing. It will pass and hopefully your family will see it through Jupiter. All the best.

Thank you Itzy - I really appreciate your concern.:)

Advertisement