Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

been a long time since i posted but Ive always kept an eye on the goings on.. tomorrow i've decided to meet with my gp and start coming off the lexapro.. its been a tough 3-4 yrs, but things with my parents are now the best they could be. i still have the friends i want to have, finally have my degree that i spent the past 5 yrs training for and have another one in the pipeline. things with my sister are fairly damaged and dont know if they will ever be the same again but time will tell

so just to let ppl know, as they prob do from reading all the posts, that they are not alone and if they just gt help and learn to talk (even if its nt what ppl want to hear) things get soo much easier. ive gne from wanting to crash my car into the barriers on the m50 to moving out of home, gtting a proper job and making plans for the future. u may hit rock bottom and want to gt out the easy way, but puttin the head dwn and battling on is so much btr for everyone especially urself...

and mam of 4, if my mum hadn of nagged me it would have delayed the whole process.. its needed in order to initiate communication sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

roseybear wrote: »
    been a long time since i posted but Ive always kept an eye on the goings on.. tomorrow i've decided to meet with my gp and start coming off the lexapro.. its been a tough 3-4 yrs, but things with my parents are now the best they could be. i still have the friends i want to have, finally have my degree that i spent the past 5 yrs training for and have another one in the pipeline. things with my sister are fairly damaged and dont know if they will ever be the same again but time will tell

so just to let ppl know, as they prob do from reading all the posts, that they are not alone and if they just gt help and learn to talk (even if its nt what ppl want to hear) things get soo much easier. ive gne from wanting to crash my car into the barriers on the m50 to moving out of home, gtting a proper job and making plans for the future. u may hit rock bottom and want to gt out the easy way, but puttin the head dwn and battling on is so much btr for everyone especially urself...

and mam of 4, if my mum hadn of nagged me it would have delayed the whole process.. its needed in order to initiate communication sometimes

Well done! Delighted to hear you are making great progress. Keep up the good work. Stay healthy and be happy.
    Best wishes Del

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

So, following on from my previous post I've been on medication for the last month and I've had a few counselling sessions - but I'm not sure if any of it is working. My more impulsive feelings are definitely gone, I just feel hollow and lonely and tired. It's like I have to keep some ridiculous facade up 24/7. Just so I can pass for 'normal' I suppose, whatever that is.

Either I'm so tired or I can't sleep or both. My concentration is still shot. I just feel like total **** at the moment.

roseybear wrote: »

Well done. Delighted to hear of your progress,
    Best Wishes,
    Del

So, following on from my previous post I've been on medication for the last month and I've had a few counselling sessions - but I'm not sure if any of it is working. My more impulsive feelings are definitely gone, I just feel hollow and lonely and tired. It's like I have to keep some ridiculous facade up 24/7. Just so I can pass for 'normal' I suppose, whatever that is.

Either I'm so tired or I can't sleep or both. My concentration is still shot. I just feel like total **** at the moment.

Well done. You are doing all the right things, medication and counselling.
    The feelings of being hollow lonely and tired are quite normal at this stage. It goes with the territory. Try however to take as much rest as you can. When you feel a little stronger try to get out walking for a minimum of 30. Mins per evening,it will help you relax and sleep better at night.
    You are making great progress, keep going.
    Best wishes,
    Del

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭BlimpGaz

Everyone feels depressed or down sometimes. It's part of the natural cycle of life and of a person's emotional cycles. But when you do get depressed or down, how do you usually deal with it? Do you watch TV, read a book, go for a walk, listen to music, call a friend? What have you found to be the best way for coping with depression or a sense of helplessness?

I'm sure those of you who are still in college and without responsibility feel this a lot less than those of us who're tied down, but everyone feels it no matter where they are, cause it's part of the natural cycle of life.

What are your coping methods? Care to share?

Do you all see depression as normal, or as something "wrong" that needs to be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Take a look at DeV's excellent thread, Let's All Laugh At People With Depression

• Registered Users Posts: 31,886 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056481009

Amazing thread. Hope you have time to spare though!

Threads Merged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

BlimpGaz wrote: »
    Everyone feels depressed or down sometimes. It's part of the natural cycle of life and of a person's emotional cycles. But when you do get depressed or down, how do you usually deal with it? Do you watch TV, read a book, go for a walk, listen to music, call a friend? What have you found to be the best way for coping with depression or a sense of helplessness?

I'm sure those of you who are still in college and without responsibility feel this a lot less than those of us who're tied down, but everyone feels it no matter where they are, cause it's part of the natural cycle of life.

What are your coping methods? Care to share?

Do you all see depression as normal, or as something "wrong" that needs to be fixed?

Ok, first off. Welcome to the thread.
    Secondly, misconceptions:

Everyone feels sad, depression isn't sadness. If you want to understand what depression is just read the posts in this thread. If you want more biological detail, then this lecture comes highly recommended. Does everyone get depressed? I highly doubt it. We have no way of knowing for certain though because the whole thing has a stigma about it and is very often under reported in society.

Managing depression is different for everyone but the general rules are
    Exercise, good diet, good physical health and professional help.
    Mileage varies though some people aren't in a position to exercise. Diet options may be limited or expensive. Certain habits may be hard to break. Professionals come in a variety of packages. Just like you could get a really crappy mechanic to fix your car you might also talk to a really crappy GP or therapist. But the thing is you have to put trust into the system and you have to be as proactive as possible with your treatment.

It's never as black and white as that though. Depression by itself makes it very hard for some individuals to be proactive. Certain therapies or treatments will work better for one individual than another. It's just like any other illness really there's a spectrum. People may suffer and experience it in different ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Sleepless again. I really don't get it. After 4 or 5 nights of great sleep I'm suddenly wide awake again tonight. Can't understand why. I was awake early this morning. I went for a good long swim. No caffeine after 6. I hope I drop off soon but I wouldn't bet on it. I'll be ok but it's so annoying.

Wattle wrote: »
    Sleepless again. I really don't get it. After 4 or 5 nights of great sleep I'm suddenly wide awake again tonight. Can't understand why. I was awake early this morning. I went for a good long swim. No caffeine after 6. I hope I drop off soon but I wouldn't bet on it. I'll be ok but it's so annoying.

Relax. No need to panic. It just happens that way sometimes. Keep the faith. Try again tonight. I understand how you feel, have been that soldier too!
    Have a good day. If possible avoid taking a nap during the day as it may cause your sleep pattern to become irregular. Try and catch up on your sleep tonight.
    Best wishes,
    Del

Just been out on the beach with doggy. The cold wind has finally dropped , the sun is out and is is relatively warm.
    For anyone feeling a bit under the weather today, get out of bed, get dressed and get out of the house for an hour.
    The swallows have arrived, Summer is finally on the way. Have a good look around at nature hard at work, it is a welcome distraction from the feeling of depression.
    Come on, just 1 hour , fresh air in the lungs and get moving. Enjoy your day! Enjoy life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

The swallows have arrived, Summer is finally on the way. Have a good look around at nature hard at work, it is a welcome distraction from the feeling of depression.
    Come on, just 1 hour , fresh air in the lungs and get moving. Enjoy your day! Enjoy life!

I love walking my dog during the summer. It helps the numb feeling of depression subside. Good start to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I somehow managed to complete my final exams, do not ask me how because I don't know. One minute I'm doing them, then I'm not. Think I passed everything, well the last one yesterday the cumulative sleep deprivation meant I could barely lift my head off the table.

It was, as it usually always is, underwhelming when I did finish. I suppose I still have 10 days to complete my final year project which has not gone well at all. It was the mother of all efforts, a lot of nights looking in the mirror, huddling in a corner crying thinking thoughts that got crazier and crazier, then I'd study, then look in the mirror then study. Ah it's over now, so there is a small bit of relief that I can actually sleep each night.

I plan to absolutely fry my brain with any and every intoxicant I can get my hands on over the next 2 evenings though. Hope my skin can improve so I can go out and be remotely comfortable in my own body for two seconds!

I somehow managed to complete my final exams, do not ask me how because I don't know. One minute I'm doing them, then I'm not. Think I passed everything, well the last one yesterday the cumulative sleep deprivation meant I could barely lift my head off the table.

It was, as it usually always is, underwhelming when I did finish. I suppose I still have 10 days to complete my final year project which has not gone well at all. It was the mother of all efforts, a lot of nights looking in the mirror, huddling in a corner crying thinking thoughts that got crazier and crazier, then I'd study, then look in the mirror then study. Ah it's over now, so there is a small bit of relief that I can actually sleep each night.

I plan to absolutely fry my brain with any and every intoxicant I can get my hands on over the next 2 evenings though. Hope my skin can improve so I can go out and be remotely comfortable in my own body for two seconds!

Well done Jimmy,
    Exams over, relax for the weekend. You have earned a well deserved break.
    Next week back to the project, you are only steps from the finish line!
    Best Wishes
    Del

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Fair play dude. I just finished my written exams as well. Was so burnt out by the time they came around that I was so tired and couldn't concentrate. It didn't help either that my exams were in typically obscure academic modules I did. Some days, I was just like 'what's the point?!'. But, I kept telling myself 'You've gotten so far, hang in there, hang in there!'. Before I even knew it, my exams were over. Now I've an oral exam and, then, my results.

I can't believe I've made it this far (to my final degree exams!). The amount of times I wanted to drop out last year because I was just sick of studying (couldn't submit assignments on time) and my depression had worsened due to problems with my Dad and academic pressure. I'm looking forward to being finished, and, finally, working on me and making my life that more pleasurable.

Fair play dude. I just finished my written exams as well. Was so burnt out by the time they came around that I was so tired and couldn't concentrate. It didn't help either that my exams were in typically obscure academic modules I did. Some days, I was just like 'what's the point?!'. But, I kept telling myself 'You've gotten so far, hang in there, hang in there!'. Before I even knew it, my exams were over. Now I've an oral exam and, then, my results.

I can't believe I've made it this far (to my final degree exams!). The amount of times I wanted to drop out last year because I was just sick of studying (couldn't submit assignments on time) and my depression had worsened due to problems with my Dad and academic pressure. I'm looking forward to being finished, and, finally, working on me and making my life that more pleasurable.

Congratulations on completing your exams. It was a bumpy road but you stuck with and crossed the finish line. Putting yourself first is a must ! Life is for living , go for it! Wishing you every success in your future.
    Best Regards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Feeling awful.....
    My sister was putting me under real pressure to be at her son's First Holy Communion mass and I was going...just felt overwhelmed as I needed to dry clothes, get my 2 year old ready etc and I made it anyway.

And she never ended up turning up. Shocked, sad etc. Cannot believe it since.

She said her ex called to her house with a brand new suit on and she only had second hand clothes to wear. Her son stayed with her after the mass and played with his friends. There was a party in his dad's house yesterday and he went all out, baloons, cakes, sandwiches everything.....

There were rumours my sister was out the night before the Communion too.

I was attacked yesterday by my sister for going to her son's dad yesterday. One of her so called friends had a status on Facebook re can you believe someone not going to her son's communion, and course I had to stick up for my sister.

Anyways I feel crap. Panic attack central at the moment. My ex text my dad this morning to help him with his mothers fish tank, it annoys me, but my dad takes no notice, he loves to help anyone, so should I let it bother me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I quit college. I know I shouldn't have, and I'm already feeling funny about it but I just can't do it. I'm burnt out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

-

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Feeling absolutely nothing, there were times I'm waking up the morning crying...

I'm not Irish 24 living in Ireland for 7 years. No job (don't worry I'm not taking any of your benefits)

I've got no friends (I'm scared to talk to anyone and even if I did try the person seems always not interested or some might think that I can't speak or understand english.

I'm living with my mom my sister both nurse and my bro and his wife they're both undocumented the wife got a job as a minder. It's making me feel sad that they can get a job and It's hard for me to find one. Few offers, but I'm always being turned down by the employers when I tell them that I need a work permit to work. (every employers doesn't wanna waste their time to process a work permit) It's a total knocked out of confidence the feeling of it.

It's also making feel nothing when my family are going for a shopping and they can get what they like and here's me NONE! Then they'll going to ask me about the stuffs they bought if it's nice etc...

My sister and her boyfriend went to town for a drink the other day and invited my brother and his wife with them. It made me feel so upset no one even come to me and ask if I wanted to come. I'm tired of being left out all the time.

It was my mom's birthday yesterday I tried to be happy for her. We had an alone time after we went for a dinner and she asked me if there's something wrong as I always look very sad and there I just opened up to her I cried and cried and told her everything she was being supportive, but it made me so upset that I felt that I ruined her birthday.

I really wanna take some courses, but no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

Notorioux wrote: »
    Feeling absolutely nothing, there were times I'm waking up the morning crying...

I'm not Irish 24 living in Ireland for 7 years. No job (don't worry I'm not taking any of your benefits)

I've got no friends (I'm scared to talk to anyone and even if I did try the person seems always not interested or some might think that I can't speak or understand english.

I'm living with my mom my sister both nurse and my bro and his wife they're both undocumented the wife got a job as a minder. It's making me feel sad that they can get a job and It's hard for me to find one. Few offers, but I'm always being turned down by the employers when I tell them that I need a work permit to work. (every employers doesn't wanna waste their time to process a work permit) It's a total knocked out of confidence the feeling of it.

It's also making feel nothing when my family are going for a shopping and they can get what they like and here's me NONE! Then they'll going to ask me about the stuffs they bought if it's nice etc...

My sister and her boyfriend went to town for a drink the other day and invited my brother and his wife with them. It made me feel so upset no one even come to me and ask if I wanted to come. I'm tired of being left out all the time.

It was my mom's birthday yesterday I tried to be happy for her. We had an alone time after we went for a dinner and she asked me if there's something wrong as I always look very sad and there I just opened up to her I cried and cried and told her everything she was being supportive, but it made me so upset that I felt that I ruined her birthday.

Hey, you've done the right step to sort yourself. You didn't ruin your mother's birthday, she is more happy to know what's going on with you than worry by being kept in the dark. So it's all good.

Seeing as you're quite young, there's no need to despair. If changing countries to one that can allow you to work without a permit is an option, go for it! I'm sure it'll be way better. Anyways, try looking for more than your qualification. Train to be a specialist in something and someone will go through and get you a job there.

Chin up, soldier. You'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Been giving advice on PI for ages, trying to help in my own bumbling way.... and today I just melted down.

Too much stress, too much sadness, too much pressure. Nearly exploded.

Decided to read my own advice, and the advice on this thread. Leaving in 5 minutes for the doctor. Folks, it's worth going for help. I'm saying this as someone in a crappy situation, who needs it himself.
    It's not depression in this case, but things are not right.

Look after yourselves, and thank you so much for this thread. I'm going now to try and make things better for myself. I hope you can all do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Been giving advice on PI for ages, trying to help in my own bumbling way.... and today I just melted down.

Too much stress, too much sadness, too much pressure. Nearly exploded.

Decided to read my own advice, and the advice on this thread. Leaving in 5 minutes for the doctor. Folks, it's worth going for help. I'm saying this as someone in a crappy situation, who needs it himself.
    It's not depression in this case, but things are not right.

Look after yourselves, and thank you so much for this thread. I'm going now to try and make things better for myself. I hope you can all do the same!

Hopefully you'll be feeling better in yourself soon and things will be back on track for you. On a positive note, you took the excellent advice you would normally give to others, and applied it to yourself, fair play for that :) .
    Sometimes I think we find it easier to help others than to seek help for whatever might ail ourselves..

Look after yourself and hopefully things will be on the up and up for you again soon.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I quit college. I know I shouldn't have, and I'm already feeling funny about it but I just can't do it. I'm burnt out.

Start with getting some medical advice from your GP. You health is more important than college. When you get back on an even keel you can review the whole situation regarding college.

pinkstars wrote: »
    Feeling awful.....
    My sister was putting me under real pressure to be at her son's First Holy Communion mass and I was going...just felt overwhelmed as I needed to dry clothes, get my 2 year old ready etc and I made it anyway.

And she never ended up turning up. Shocked, sad etc. Cannot believe it since.

She said her ex called to her house with a brand new suit on and she only had second hand clothes to wear. Her son stayed with her after the mass and played with his friends. There was a party in his dad's house yesterday and he went all out, baloons, cakes, sandwiches everything.....

There were rumours my sister was out the night before the Communion too.

I was attacked yesterday by my sister for going to her son's dad yesterday. One of her so called friends had a status on Facebook re can you believe someone not going to her son's communion, and course I had to stick up for my sister.

Anyways I feel crap. Panic attack central at the moment. My ex text my dad this morning to help him with his mothers fish tank, it annoys me, but my dad takes no notice, he loves to help anyone, so should I let it bother me!

You have to let go of all the baggage ie. worrying about every else, what they are doing , seeing , not doing etc.
    Please you need to concentrate on yourself, stand back from all the family issues. Create an invisible space between you and everyone else. You need time and space to recover and get your life back on track. When family members try to burden you with their issues, politely say that you are feeling unwell at the moment and cannot cope taking on board others problems.
    If family members try to encroach your invisible space, gently push back. Everyone needs a bit of space in their lives, most importantly you at this time.
    Finally you must communicate with your GP and seek help in getting you back on track. You are most important and must be kind to yourself.

Notorioux wrote: »

Firstly I am sorry to hear you are feeling so unhappy. It is important that you get the feelings of depression, isolation , and loneliness under control. Please consult with a local doctor or Aware.ie
    You are fortunate in that you have family here. It is important that they help support you emotionally as well as socially. I think it is very important that you explain clearly how you feel and how you yearn to be included in family trips out etc.
    You have a wonderful mother who now understands to some degree how you are feeling, it is very important to keep the communication lines open.
    It is also important that you remain physically fit, walking,jogging,cycling, yoga. When people are emotionally drained it is easy to forget their physical health.
    Have you any hobbies? Have you any friends outside your immediate family? Do you make use of your local library?
    Regarding work issues or courses, I am unable to give much advice, I wonder is it worth contacting Citizens Advice.ie or seeking some voluntary work with a charity, which may give you some necessary work experience making your skills attractive to a potential employer, making the application for a work permit worthwhile.
    Thank you for taking the time to post her on Boards.ie Please keep us updated on your progress.
    Remember you are very important, so be very kind to yourself.
    Best wishes

Ps. Have you a qualification or language you could teach in the form of private grinds? Just a thought worth exploring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I just procrastinated for 8 hours solid. I'm really really really in trouble with college this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I have been in trouble many times with college work / exams. what's up? if you have any recent significant medical history there are things that can be done.

Advertisement