Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

presentation wednesday, havent even started it :( then more presentations thursday, again, which I havne't started. No medical history recently. Was going to go back then wasn't feeling awful but now am thanks to a stupid flippant remark by a supervisor I've no motivation even though I know I'm gona fail I just can't bring myself to do anything. God. Another half hour gone doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well I know what I did that made me procrastinate was think about getting high marks. To be more productive I thought, 'how can i increase my marks to pass, starting at the 0 I'm at right now'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

presentation wednesday, havent even started it :( then more presentations thursday, again, which I havne't started. No medical history recently. Was going to go back then wasn't feeling awful but now am thanks to a stupid flippant remark by a supervisor I've no motivation even though I know I'm gona fail I just can't bring myself to do anything. God. Another half hour gone doing nothing.

You can do it! Bed now. Early rise tomorrow morning, breakfast, walk, get head down and concentrate on what you need to do. You are near the finish line. You will not give up. Now chill out and get a good night's sleep.

You can do it! Bed now. Early rise tomorrow morning, breakfast, walk, get head down and concentrate on what you need to do. You are near the finish line. You will not give up. Now chill out and get a good night's sleep.

Thanks. Got 3 hours sleep last night :( Disaster.

Thanks. Got 3 hours sleep last night :( Disaster.

How did you get on today?

• Advertisement

How did you get on today?
    Went to the doctor to get a few days worth of xanax. Sleepy now and can't stay awake enough to finish my second presentation, I should be worried but I'm not. I'm feeling more normal, but they're wearing off now. Another one before bed to help with sleep. Thanks everyone.

Went to the doctor to get a few days worth of xanax. Sleepy now and can't stay awake enough to finish my second presentation, I should be worried but I'm not. I'm feeling more normal, but they're wearing off now. Another one before bed to help with sleep. Thanks everyone.

Well done! Sleep is very important. You have covered the course material at this stage. Relax, the presentations will go well. Take it all in your stride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I open this thread every couple of months just to see how much the Thanks-count for the OP has increased :pac:

whirlpool wrote: »
    I open this thread every couple of months just to see how much the Thanks-count for the OP has increased :pac:

Thank you for taking the time to Post. Have you any words of advice, thought or understanding which may be of assistance in getting through each day.?

A kind word or constructive suggestion may be invaluable in dealing with this topic.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you, sincerely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Hi there. So I've been relieved to have gotten through my final degree exams. Now I'm feeling really down. My lecturers took the whole class out for pints last night. Ever since we said our official goodbyes, I've been feeling so down. I really loved my lecturers and friends I made (despite consistent moaning about assignments and said lecturers that gave assignments...) There were the most amazing and admirable people I've ever met so far in my life, (apart from my family of course). :)

The past 6 months have probably been the best ones of my life for a long time. I hated my teenage years. I felt so self-conscious (after getting hassle from school, my Dad), depressed, repressed my sexuality and absolutely hated myself. Now, I feel I'm finally getting my life on track and I hope that the future (whatever happens jobwise) will continue to make me feel better in myself. Of course, I'm happy I now have the mental space to sort out my life. But, four years of a degree was a long time and a lot of personal journeys happened.:( /rant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hi there. So I've been relieved to have gotten through my final degree exams. Now I'm feeling really down. My lecturers took the whole class out for pints last night. Ever since we said our official goodbyes, I've been feeling so down. I really loved my lecturers and friends I made (despite consistent moaning about assignments and said lecturers that gave assignments...) There were the most amazing and admirable I've ever met so far in my life. :)

The past 6 months have probably been the best ones of my life for a long time. I hated my teenage years. I felt so self-conscious (after getting hassle from school, my Dad), depressed, repressed my sexuality and absolutely hated myself. Now, I feel I'm finally getting my life on track and I hope that the future (whatever happens jobwise) will continue to make me feel better in myself. Of course, I'm happy I now have the mental space to sort out my life. But, four yearsof a degree was a long time and a lot of personal journeys happened.:( /rant

Finishing college is always a big anti-climax for everyone - whether they have depression/anxiety or none at all. There's the feeling of "well, what now?"
    You would do well to set your self a new goal to work on over the Summer :) - in addition to the tough task of looking for a job.

A short to medium-term project to work on in the coming months might help to reduce the feeling of anti-climax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Finishing college is always a big anti-climax for everyone - whether they have depression/anxiety or none at all. There's the feeling of "well, what now?"
    You would do well to set your self a new goal to work on over the Summer :) - in addition to the tough task of looking for a job.

A short to medium-term project to work on in the coming months might help to reduce the feeling of anti-climax.

Thanks for your response :). It's just my final year was the year so many good things finally happened to me. I went on anti-depressants and went back to counselling. For the first time, sadly, since my childhood, I have managed to control my depression and anxiety. I made an effort to make new friends, I came out as bisexual, I started working for myself on a freelance basis as a private tutor. I believed more in myself. My confidence and self esteem have slowly risen. I am slowly understanding the concept of liking me for me. Not trying to be who people want me to be; they can get f*!/ed.

With college ending, I feel my comfort zone is crumbling a little bit too soon. I know that's life and all, but still :(

This summer, I have planned to do a TEFL Course in July. One day stint as a barista. Also evening swimming lessons. At least I can have things to look forward to in the meantime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Woah hit a big negative spiral today. Work even boards just had me feeling worthless

efb wrote: »
    Woah hit a big negative spiral today. Work even boards just had me feeling worthless

Take it easy. Chill out. Be kind to yourself. Just relax and get things back in perspective. Negative thoughts will pass with time. If you can take a nap this afternoon, rest on a sofa and listen to some light music. Later this evening you could do a 30 minute walk to get some necessary exercise and help clear the head. Important to eat something worthwhile even a chicken salad sandwich and stay hydrated with water , not tea coffee nor alcohol. An early night , 10pm could help get you back on track for tomorrow. A little important downtime because you are precious. If your car was only chugging along , you would bring it into the garage for a service, new oils, spark plugs. So by looking after yourself today you are giving your mind and body time to recharge and get back on the road tomorrow. Just do it!

Cheers- in work so no nap atm

efb wrote: »
    Cheers- in work so no nap atm

No problem, try and leave work early if you can.....it will still be there tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Thanks to mootikins for this link. I think some of you might get something out of it, I know I did.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ie/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

It has pictures! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I <3 Hyperbole and A Half, so very much!

T-minus 4 days til my college project is over and college is over. I just successfully detected all the numbers on a photo of a lottery ticket for the first time. This is the core of my project. A week ago I had absolutely nothing done. Now I have to stitch this together and write a mobile app in 3 days. Lots of tea... lots of tea.

It will not be pretty after I finish however, I can tell my dad is itching to have a go at me but he knows its too important a time (in his mind at least) to upset the apple cart. But I expect major rows to ensue a day or two after all the college stuff is wrapped up.

Can't win em all.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Well hello

I have a half day again today...as I did aswell yesterday, collecting my daughter from the creche.

Already worked up on what to do with her, went to a shopping centre yesterday and it was a nightmare. She wants to chill out or go walking, so maybe I'll just do that.

Cause I have time off I feel I have to run here there and everywhere and then not getting home until 8 and the house is a mess.

Why am I getting anxious over nothing! I really wish I knew. Collecting her from the creche at 1. So happy she is finally settling in, when I brought her there this morning all the boys and girls came over and were saying her name. It was so cute. I think what gets me too is that her dad is taking her tomorrow and she will probably have a great day he can drop her off when he wants and mummy finds it hard to find time to play with her as well as work and cleaning the house

• Advertisement

T-minus 4 days til my college project is over and college is over. I just successfully detected all the numbers on a photo of a lottery ticket for the first time. This is the core of my project. A week ago I had absolutely nothing done. Now I have to stitch this together and write a mobile app in 3 days. Lots of tea... lots of tea.

It will not be pretty after I finish however, I can tell my dad is itching to have a go at me but he knows its too important a time (in his mind at least) to upset the apple cart. But I expect major rows to ensue a day or two after all the college stuff is wrapped up.

Can't win em all.

Jimmy,
    Perhaps you are underestimating your Dad. ?
    I'm sure he is proud of your success in completing your exams. It can be a very stressful time for parents when they are concerned for their offspring during exam time.
    Could you and your Dad go out for a pint to celebrate the completion of the exams.? It may be a great chance to clear the air and have a good chat.
    Take my advice get your invitation to him ASAP.
    If I were your Dad I would be chuffed to receive such an invitation, and very proud of your achievements.
    Please give him a chance, these opportunities for father and son bonding don't happen every day.
    Go for it!:)

pinkstars wrote: »
    Well hello

I have a half day again today...as I did aswell yesterday, collecting my daughter from the creche.

Already worked up on what to do with her, went to a shopping centre yesterday and it was a nightmare. She wants to chill out or go walking, so maybe I'll just do that.

Cause I have time off I feel I have to run here there and everywhere and then not getting home until 8 and the house is a mess.

Why am I getting anxious over nothing! I really wish I knew. Collecting her from the creche at 1. So happy she is finally settling in, when I brought her there this morning all the boys and girls came over and were saying her name. It was so cute. I think what gets me too is that her dad is taking her tomorrow and she will probably have a great day he can drop her off when he wants and mummy finds it hard to find time to play with her as well as work and cleaning the house

Pinkstars,

Take it easy girl. You are being terribly hard on yourself.!
    Please take one day at a time. Time spent with your daughter is invaluable, indeed it is time we can never get back. You are obviously a wonderful mother and your daughter is a wonderful little girl who is happily settling into her new environment where she is already making new friends.
    So what if the house is a mess, it can be dealt with when you have time, for example tomorrow. However tomorrow you should also allow yourself a little ME time, whether that is time to go for a walk, jog, a long soak in the bath listening to your favourite music........
    Ttomorrow your daughter will spend some time with her Dad. This is equally important as part of her development. I have no doubt you want the very best for your daughter and her development as a person. So see her time with her Dad as a positive and don't forget when he drops her back to you tomorrow you have back to play with and spoil as you wish.
    Go with the flow, no need to get stressed. Be kind to yourself too!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

Just broke up with girlfriend and ah cant even be arsed typing anymore im that down right now

Folks,
    Heading south to Spain tomorrow for a week of R&R.
    Having tied up a number of business issues which were an hangover for the last few years, if anything the last few weeks have been something of an anticlimax.
    Probably a bit like completing the Final Exams?
    There was the initial high then a complete void. The opportunity to make positive changes leaves me in a state of complete numbness. Sure I am getting some more exercise, meanwhile the mental exhaustion continues.
    Hopefully the break in the sun will help recharge the batteries and on return find the energy to move on and positively use the opportunities to rebuild my life.
    Be kind to yourselves!
    Talk soon
    Del

andy125 wrote: »
    Just broke up with girlfriend and ah cant even be arsed typing anymore im that down right now

Andy,
    Well done for making the effort to post.
    At this point my advice to you is to simply chill out and relax.
    Tomorrow is another day.
    Be gentle and take good care of yourself.

Have a good time del (if I didn't tell you to you would forget to of course...).

It'll be the perfect place to try and ground yourself. No searching for truth because truth is already in your breath and heartbeat. Hate to sound like a hippy but anyway...

I hope ye don't mind me asking, I know you'll be on holiday but when you're coming back could ye do me a favor and throw an ould lasso around the sun, hook it up to the plane and fly it back with ye?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

Andy,
    Well done for making the effort to post.
    At this point my advice to you is to simply chill out and relax.
    Tomorrow is another day.
    Be gentle and take good care of yourself.

Cheers trying my best mate

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Hi. My name is Luxie (not really). Been posting random rubbish on other threads until now. Problem is I do suffer. I am A functional depressive/aniexity sufferer who's been hoping alcohol will help me sleep. It does which is why this is hard to admit to. Lost last of my two parents this time last year. So much of it might be down to my alcoholic mother dying on year ago. Not really sure why I'm posting it on here. Hoping it will be cathartic I suppose. Not really expecting any advice really. But thanks for reading

Luxie wrote: »
    Hi. My name is Luxie (not really). Been posting random rubbish on other threads until now. Problem is I do suffer. I am A functional depressive/aniexity sufferer who's been hoping alcohol will help me sleep. It does which is why this is hard to admit to. Lost last of my two parents this time last year. Not really sure why I'm posting it on here. Hoping it will be cathartic I suppose. Not really expecting any advice really. But thanks for reading

Luxie,

You have posted in the right place. I like many others who post here suffer from depression related illnesses.We share our stories and support each other, through the good and bad days.
    I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents last year. It must have been truly shocking. I can recall how shocked I was some years ago when my Dad passed away suddenly.
    My advice for what it may be worth is to firstly take great care of yourself. Please refrain from alcohol, consult with your GP regarding a course of meds which will assist you sleep and reduce anxiety.
    It would please me greatly if you undertake to follow the above course of action.
    I speak from personal experience, not from the viewpoint of a medical advisor.
    Your best friend right now is probably your GP who in addition to advising you on medication may also direct you to a Counsellor and or Psychiatrist.
    Again I speak from personal experience having been in the care of my GP, Counsellor and Psychiatrist, each of whom played an invaluable role in getting
    My life back on track.
    Please be extremely gentle and kind to yourself. Contact your GP and get the ball rolling.
    Sincerely,

• Advertisement

bad day- sleepy all day and now I cant sleep

Advertisement