Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I like the idea myself. I've been trying to get myself to do stuff (like today with the acting etc) but always pull out. Do need to meet new people though and knowing the kind of people that are regular on this thread I would be more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Ah sure why not? I propose we call it a meeting of the Society of Miserable Cúnts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Hi Folks,

Just a whacky thought.!

Would it be a nice idea to have a get together between now and the end of the year.

I don't envisage an event which is going to cost people a fortune either.

I am thinking along an informal get together?

Your thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. If you think I am losing the run of myself , please don't be afraid to say so

Best Regards,

Del

That's an excellent idea. I don't suffer from depression but I follow this thread every day. I started reading it when I was worried about someone in my life and I became hooked. I love the way you all look out for each other and I despair when I see you beating yourselves up. You are such a lovely bunch of caring people, you all get along so well on here so why would it be different in the flesh.

Get out there and share the goodness. Well done Del.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

€70 an hour for counselling is outrageous! :eek:
    70-80 p/h is pretty standard tbh, especially if you go about it properly and see a proper counselling psychologist as opposed to some eejit who decides to call themselves a counsellor after a 6month course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Fcuking.. step-fathers and weak mothers. And the only person who bore the brunt, the cheating dad's jr. everyone is united in alienating if just to stay onside. At least that's what it feels like for me and no cohesion in this family, let me never make the same mistakes if I ever dare go there man... never, again and I have to count down the clock now. Probably wait; for people to pass so I can be truly free of it and it's the saddest thing, it really is. They can't even give a straight opinion, just wind up attempts if there was any humour here it might be funny but it's just attempts to further estrange and it sucks. Dolenz was right man and I regret coming back here all those years ago n I bitterly envied my friends, n **** for coming from such flawless families and failing to recognize it... but this, will blow over again

Message to self: give up; wanting to interact with these fcuking write-offs.

• Advertisement

TheBellJar wrote: »
    70-80 p/h is pretty standard tbh, especially if you go about it properly and see a proper counselling psychologist as opposed to some eejit who decides to call themselves a counsellor after a 6month course.

Even if it's standard it's still a shocking amount of money to have to pay for something that may be needed to save someone's life. :( Debt can exacerbate depression - how is someone in debt supposed to cope with paying that much?

I'm really gonna miss the NHS when I get back home.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

http://getyourrockout.co.uk/wp/about/getyourrockout-blog/dom-lawson/

From the fourth paragraph on is pretty relevant to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

http://getyourrockout.co.uk/wp/about/getyourrockout-blog/dom-lawson/

From the fourth paragraph on is pretty relevant to this thread

Some bits of that were like he read my mind. I'm always surprised when other depressed people feel the same way I do. I'm up for this informal, coffee-fueled meeting of neurotics. I think it'd be scary but fun.

At the moment, I'm coming out of my latest 'episode' (or whatever you want to call it), and feeling very fragile. I'm afraid of falling back into the pit, not realising it until it's too late and not having the strength to pull myself out again. Some huge changes are about to happen in my life and I'm hoping I've recovered enough in the last few months to cope with them without falling to pieces.

To anyone reading this thread and thinking they might be depressed, GET HELP. Go to your doctor, your friends, or your family and tell them you're feeling depressed and need help. It might save your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Cliona99 wrote: »
    Some bits of that were like he read my mind. I'm always surprised when other depressed people feel the same way I do. I'm up for this informal, coffee-fueled meeting of neurotics. I think it'd be scary but fun.

At the moment, I'm coming out of my latest 'episode' (or whatever you want to call it), and feeling very fragile. I'm afraid of falling back into the pit, not realising it until it's too late and not having the strength to pull myself out again. Some huge changes are about to happen in my life and I'm hoping I've recovered enough in the last few months to cope with them without falling to pieces.

To anyone reading this thread and thinking they might be depressed, GET HELP. Go to your doctor, your friends, or your family and tell them you're feeling depressed and need help. It might save your life.

Cliona,

Delighted to hear you are up for the coffee fuelled meeting of neurotics, it will be fun.
    you have made wonderful progress over the last few months, you are not going back. You are stronger and wiser having emerged from your experience and encouraged others by sharing your experiences, for which I thank you sincerely.
    The new Cliona is now ready to deal with whatever faces you in your life, never forget that you have friends here who wish the very best for you and will give you the moral support as you deal with each issue.

Enjoy life!

Del

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

Is this the Narcissism thread?

Mod

Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Feel horrible today, its court case for my kids dad to get a protection order I cant believe thats it for us as a family.

I dont know what to do im 29 with 3 kids lm so afraid of being by myself. I feel so low today I feel like im in a daze I cant concentrate. :(

hollster2 wrote: »
    Feel horrible today, its court case for my kids dad to get a protection order I cant believe thats it for us as a family.

I dont know what to do im 29 with 3 kids lm so afraid of being by myself. I feel so low today I feel like im in a daze I cant concentrate. :(

Please take it easy. Take one step at a time. Today will be very difficult, however it will bring closure to the issues gone before and allow everyone a new start.
    We all need to review and redirect our efforts at various stages in our lives.
    Chin up Hollster, we will be thinking about you today. Remember you are not alone, we are always here for you on this thread:)

Please take it easy. Take one step at a time. Today will be very difficult, however it will bring closure to the issues gone before and allow everyone a new start.
    We all need to review and redirect our efforts at various stages in our lives.
    Chin up Hollster, we will be thinking about you today. Remember you are not alone, we are always here for you on this thread:)

Thank you so much god that made me cry :) chin up x

Thank you so much god that made me cry :) chin up x

You are very welcome .
    It is good to cry, it is like releasing the pressure valve inside us. Be strong .
    In a few hours al the technical stuff will be dealt with and you will be able to think more clearly.
    Today you are starting to rebuild the rest of your life:)
    There is nothing to be afraid of. Try some deep breathing to help you relax.:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Got my medication. I feel normal again, if I even know what that means :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

A meet up is a great idea. It's actually a real eye opener to meet others and see that they aren't damaged goods. You meet people of all types, backgrounds, current situations. It's a great thing and it does shatter some of the 'I'm completely different and alone' illusion in your mind!

^^^^Agreed, isolation is a real problem with depression. Plus, when it's a larger group it takes a bit of pressure off. If you are going to meet one or two friends and then you can't make it you feel bad about "flaking" on them, even if they understand. With a large group you know that if you can't make it you're not ruining other peoples whole night.

Having a terrible day. The pain is 9/10 with occasional moments of 10/10. I don't know why. I just had a terrible flare up that lasted a solid week. I have things to do and if this lasts another week I'm going to be so pissed off. It's another hour and a half before I can have any more pills and I'm literally just lying here cursing.
    It took me ten minutes just to get to the kitchen this morning and I had to literally crawl back up the stairs on my hands and knees. The worst thing is I know when you are having a flare up you need to walk around a bit but all I want to do is lie down. I'm not usually like this but today I'm just a big bag of self-pity and now I feel guilty about it:(

The moustachioed man :{

how many here have a stepfather they can't rlly relate to. He's alright, but he doesn't say much and it is frustrating to say the least. And he needs to fcuk off out the kitchen

starling wrote: »
    ^^^^Agreed, isolation is a real problem with depression. Plus, when it's a larger group it takes a bit of pressure off. If you are going to meet one or two friends and then you can't make it you feel bad about "flaking" on them, even if they understand. With a large group you know that if you can't make it you're not ruining other peoples whole night.

Having a terrible day. The pain is 9/10 with occasional moments of 10/10. I don't know why. I just had a terrible flare up that lasted a solid week. I have things to do and if this lasts another week I'm going to be so pissed off. It's another hour and a half before I can have any more pills and I'm literally just lying here cursing.
    It took me ten minutes just to get to the kitchen this morning and I had to literally crawl back up the stairs on my hands and knees. The worst thing is I know when you are having a flare up you need to walk around a bit but all I want to do is lie down. I'm not usually like this but today I'm just a big bag of self-pity and now I feel guilty about it:(

Delighted you are interested in meeting up. A group of strangers with something in common . Why not? It can only be good for everyone!

Please don't beat yourself up about feeling pity or guilt. Be kind to yourself , go with the flow, when you are feeling better you can catch up on whatever errands may bother you. It is your body and mind, take very good care of them, because you are worth it!

Best wishes,

Del:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I know this probably doesn't make you feel any better whatsoever but the night is darkest just before the dawn. Whatever it is that has happened in the past that has led you to today is not as important as how you respond and make the changes required to try to pick yourself up.

I cant say how you feel, why you feel a certain way, but what I can tell you is that from my experience, taking each day at a time has helped me get to a place in my life that I couldn't of imagined. It infects all other areas of my life. Instead of focusing on the things outside of my control (family, friends, job) I have instead focused on the things in me that I needed to work on. Ultimately this has helped shape and change (for the better) my perception of life.

What has happened in the past may or may not be something you can make up or change, but either way the one thing you can try to work on is how your life progresses going forward. If you are anything like me, this can indirectly repair relationships and things in your life that I thought were impossible to fix.

I don't want to put words in your mouth but today could be a new beginning if you can get by all the things that have happened in the past. I have been speaking with people struggling in different areas of their lives, particularly people who have zero confidence (and self esteem) or belief in themselves that they can change. The simple thing I say is that they are changing whether they realise it or not. Talking with people, writing how you feel down here, is a part of a change that could lead to something wonderful in your life. In one post here you were distraught, the next post you were crying with some sense of relief (however little it was or how long it lasted is irrelevant).

I am trying more and more to think about and accept that what happened in the past is not necessarily what will happen in the future, which helps me try to look forward with optimism. I try to couple this with trying to take each day at a time. For now, that's enough to help me feel like the entire world isn't against me. I don't feel like my entire life has already been mapped out , destined to be one major disappointment/disaster after another.

Good luck today, I really hope it helps you find a pathway to a more meaningful life .

Hi folks!

Thank you for the many positive responses regarding a get together.

I wonder can we sweet talk Devore to attend? After all it was his ingenious idea to start this thread which ultimately is bringing us together?

How about late September as a possible date for our diaries.? At that stage the holidays are over and children are well and truly back at school. The evenings are still fairly bright for those travelling distances.

Forgive me, I don't wish to appear like I am pushing this idea for my benefit. Obviously I am anxious to meet everyone and network with my friends from this thread. If anyone has any suggestions regarding a venue , please feel free to comment. It doesn't need to be the Four Seasons in Ballsbridge. Perhaps a bar /restaurant, football club, wherever ? It is not my party!

Personally what I would like to do is connect with friends from this thread for whom I may be able to offer advice support and vice versa. Perhaps even meeting for an occasional cuppa or even having the odd chat on the telephone.

The isolation caused by depression can be quite debilitating, sometimes it is easier to cope if one can simply lift the phone and have a chat with a friend who actually understands!

So ladies and gentlemen, get the thinking caps on and see how ,we ,together
    can develop this idea further. As I am not Dublin based we will need one or two volunteers to check out a suitable venue, costs per head etc. Nothing lavish! The great company on the night will be the highlight.

If anyone feels they would like to PM me on this you are very welcome

Regards,

Del

Delighted you are interested in meeting up. A group of strangers with something in common . Why not? It can only be good for everyone!

Please don't beat yourself up about feeling pity or guilt. Be kind to yourself , go with the flow, when you are feeling better you can catch up on whatever errands may bother you. It is your body and mind, take very good care of them, because you are worth it!

Best wishes,

Thanks del that does make me feel better. It's just a bad day it's not always like this, I will probably feel better tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Hi all (sorry for an awfully long post, bare with me!),

I have all of a sudden out of the blue been discharged from therapy for depression. I have been in therapy for about a year now.

Some people on the forum might remember me going through a crisis moment last year, I had started threads in the PI section and found a bit comfort here in this thread and became one the top posters here for a while.

I was suicidal for large periods last summer and many of those days were some of the hardest days I've ever had to go through, didn't think I was going to get through it.

I currently suffer from Social phobia/anxiety. And I have done since I was 13. Because of which I've never had any friends since, and never had a girlfriend or anything close to that. Nothing. I'm now nearly 27.

I considered suicide so many times over it, the fact whether I wanted to live in loneliness like this for the rest of my life.

My academic studies also suffered over the past 10 years, constantly scraping exams, just couldn't get motivated. I eventually scrapped a 2.2 in electrical engineering and pursued to do a masters, mainly because I had nothing else to do and didn't want to work as I thought the world disliked me and feared the social interactions (thats how irrational I was).

During my exam period with all my thoughts going on, I ended up thinking I had a failed some of the exams and it became the tipping point of failure that I attempted suicide (which failed cause I kinda sucked at it luckily).

That was april 2012 last year, I for the first time had counselling at my uni in may, came on here in june and opened up about my problems. I saw a gp, diagnosed with severe depression, and was off to have cognetive therapy that july.

I had a bit of a renaissance during that summer, I had decided I wanted to have a career change and build new foundations on my life on a career which I could enjoy.

So believe it or not, I picked Dentistry, good pay, potential secure job, and I figured I wanted to help people for a living. A job doesn't define my life, but I desperately wanted a career change as I was going nowhere with my previous choice.

For this however I had to redo my a levels from scratch, and require 2A*'s & 2A's minimum (I live in Northern Ireland looking to apply to trinity).

I've become an extremely motivated guy since last summer, looking to constantly improve on social interactions, and work harder at things I've done wrong. Believe it or not, so far academically I am achieving 4A's during my AS's (Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry). On top of which if that was enough I finished off my remaining 3 exams for my masters and scored 61, 71 and 65, bringing my average up to 60, and thus I have graduated with a 2:1 (commedation) in my masters. :)

However I have been consumed with my studies its nearly burned me out this year. I was diagnosed with shingles as well in april crippling me during that time.

Because of my commitments, I was only having therapy once a month from march onwards, and didn't have any for nearly 2 months because of my shingles.

I had absolutely no social life before hand and it hasn't really picked up because of my academic commitments, and so because I wasn't getting enough opportunities to practice my social skills, and being consumed relentlessly with study we could only have one therapy session a month.

Today, fifteen minutes from the end (just out of the blue) my therapist decided she was going to discharge me on the grounds that she was satisfied with my progress but cannot make social interactions happen for me and because of which there was no point having any therapy.

Honestly, as strange as it sounds I have no idea how to "create opportunities". Jobs, although I'm applying, are hard to come by, volunteering takes time organise, and doing some sporting activities (e.g. tennis lessons) can only really offer only a little. She also struggled to know what could be done to create social opportunities and said she couldn't help me on that and that we've hit a "brick wall" on that issue. Anyway I was discharged, boom like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

The problem is I'm home with my parents over the summer months now, couped up in the house and not sure what to do, lonely, and by time I sort anything out, I'm back at college early september, studying relentlessly to get A*'s.

I'm concious about making the first post too long so I've split it up a bit. I'm just so lonely right now feel a little hopeless again. Utterly dejected and feel a little directionless after just being tossed out like that from therapy. Perhaps I'm over reacting and she probably was doing the right thing naturally. But I am stuck at home worry the same problems might exacerbate again. I'm nearly 27 now, I'm not getting any younger.. :(

starling wrote: »
    Thanks del that does make me feel better. It's just a bad day it's not always like this, I will probably feel better tomorrow:)

No problem. You are most welcome.
    The bad moments always pass, as sure as the sun will rise again tomorrow.
    Get plenty of rest:)

The problem is I'm home with my parents over the summer months now, couped up in the house and not sure what to do, lonely, and by time I sort anything out, I'm back at college early september, studying relentlessly to get A*'s.

I'm concious about making the first post too long so I've split it up a bit. I'm just so lonely right now feel a little hopeless again. Utterly dejected and feel a little directionless after just being tossed out like that from therapy. Perhaps I'm over reacting and she probably was doing the right thing naturally. But I am stuck at home worry the same problems might exacerbate again. I'm nearly 27 now, I'm not getting any younger.. :(

Hi Thomas,
    I guess your therapist is confident that you are ready to paddle on your own.
    May I suggest volunteering in a local charity shop, which would firstly get you out of the house every day and bring some focus to your life. It would also be a nice way of giving something back to people whose lives are much less fortunate than ours.
    Alternatively is it possible to get yourself some type of part time or temporary job, again bringing a bit of focus to your days and also making some money to treat yourself before returning to college.
    In addition either scenarios would introduce you to some new people,with whom you may interact and develop your social skills.
    You are obviously a very bright person intellectually, however you have lost some of your self confidence.
    Take small steps first , start making new friends through a work environment as suggested above. By meeting new people it may be possible to go out the odd evening with your work mates to a sporting event, a meal out. Once you get your confidence back , your self esteem will improve immensely.
    From a fitness point of view are there any walking or cycling clubs in your area?
    Cycling walking and jogging are a great way to improve one's fitness, but also a great way to make new friends.
    Give yourself a chance, get out there and enjoy life.
    Best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hi Thomas, welcome back.

I'm gonna keep this short cause I'm writing this on my ipad and it gives me carpel tunnel syndrome using it too much (yes I'm in my mid thirties And have the wrists of a 90 year old!).

I only ever try to write about my own experience and hope that in some way somebody can use it in their own life in their own way. I will skip through my depression stories straight to how I am trying to learn social skills and enjoy life more.

Do you know what I dreamt of when I was younger ? Being a footballer professionally. I play 5 aside every week. I dreamt of being in movies , I am a member of movies extra and might get roles on tv. I also would of loved to be a lead singer of a band (was for a brief time) and I have decided if the extra thing isn't as I hoped I might explore it again.

My point is that we all have to live in the real world and get a job and study for exams. But it doesn't mean we can't live our dreams in some form. A little bit of what I always dreamed of when I was younger is infinitely better then nothing but the monotonous slog of working class 9-5 life!

In short, I am at my most confident when I am happy or enjoying myself so it makes sense for me to try and be in these kind of social situations.

Hi all today went great was anxious about nothing thanks again for your good luck messages.

Hope I get some sleep tonight! :)

• Advertisement

Hi all today went great was anxious about nothing thanks again for your good luck messages.

Hope I get some sleep tonight! :)

Yeah, I think so too

have to lift myself out of this malaise.

Ooh; can ya feel it comin - transition express.

Advertisement