Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

starling wrote: »
    Proper country. Outlaw country. Irish country is the work of Lucifer.:D

Whiskeytown are the greatest country band of all time.

Lucinda Williams!

Gram Parsons!!

Townes Van Zandt!!!

Country music is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Whiskeytown are the greatest country band of all time.

Lucinda Williams!

Gram Parsons!!

Townes Van Zandt!!!

Country music is amazing.

Definitely! Er, we should probably get back on topic before we get in trouble though ;)
    On topic: Music is brilliant at lifting my mood, I think we should all take a few minutes to listen to something we enjoy every day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

starling wrote: »
    Definitely! Er, we should probably get back on topic before we get in trouble though ;)
    On topic: Music is brilliant at lifting my mood, I think we should all take a few minutes to listen to something we enjoy every day!

Starling,

I think we are ok on this occasion.

You have certainly lifted a lot of moods here this weekend. ;)

Certainly music is a great way of lifting the mood or indeed releasing a few tears too. A few tears can also cleanse and heal the mood.:)

PS . Love reading your posts

Why do moods change when there's no reason for them to?
    I had a pretty good week. Had an ok Saturday morning.
    Then everything seemed to drain away from me and I spent the day in a sort of apathetic daze.
    Now, just about to go bed, I've snapped out of apathy and just feel really sad right now. For no particular reason at all. Maybe I can't find a reason 'cause there's so many of them?

Think positive, eat well, take meds, get fresh air......you can do absolutely everything the way you're supposed to and still get nowhere. How long is one supposed to be patient for when waiting for things to get better? How long is too long to bother caring anymore?

This is mostly just thinking aloud. I'd been doing so well this week but right now it feels like that counts for nothing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

RE American Country cant beat Dolly!

• Advertisement

Why do moods change when there's no reason for them to?
    I had a pretty good week. Had an ok Saturday morning.
    Then everything seemed to drain away from me and I spent the day in a sort of apathetic daze.
    Now, just about to go bed, I've snapped out of apathy and just feel really sad right now. For no particular reason at all. Maybe I can't find a reason 'cause there's so many of them?

Think positive, eat well, take meds, get fresh air......you can do absolutely everything the way you're supposed to and still get nowhere. How long is one supposed to be patient for when waiting for things to get better? How long is too long to bother caring anymore?

This is mostly just thinking aloud. I'd been doing so well this week but right now it feels like that counts for nothing. :(

Oh they change like the wind, and its so annoying, it will come good again soon.

Sorry to hear you're feeling down Homer. Man, all I can really say is that I understand that frustration.
    Depression's like that, it's not a steady line where you keep getting better every day; it's more like a two steps forward and one step back thing. There are setbacks now and then. When you've been feeling alright it somehow feels even more frustrating to have a bad day.

Just remember that is exactly what it is -a bad day. It's okay if you're feeling fed up and disappointed that a low mood had come over you after having a week where you felt you were doing okay. But you won't always feel like this. Don't despair.:)

Just lazing about today. Have neither the energy nor enthusiasm to get out of bed.Energy levels have been quite low over last few days, and sleeping quite a lot.

Sure I had some breakfast, however I feel like I could sleep for a month.

Not unduly worried, I know this phase will pass too.

It can be somewhat frustrating, however the chores I had planned for today will have to wait, or perhaps they are not that important anyhow.

Tomorrow is another day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

That's right Del, take it easy and save your energy for another day. Be nice to yourself, you're always so nice everyone else.

I'm in a similar position today, though for a slightly different reason. In a fair bit of pain and not up to doing the things I had planned.
    It's frustrating, but really, most things are not that urgent, so don't feel bad about putting them off for a day. After all the reason why Sunday is traditionally the day of rest is because it was written into the bible for peoples own good. Nowadays so many of us try to pack loads of stuff in at the weekend because when you work all week and only have two days to yourself, you feel a need to make the most of them either by doing your favourite activities or doing the chores you don't get time for in the week.

So I think we've kind of forgotten the value in taking a day to just really relax and rest. It's not a wasted day, it's a chance to recharge. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah I put off stuff I had planned for today as well. Of course, some of that had also been planned for yesterday.... :rolleyes:
    I spent most of the day in a self-destructive, pissed off daze. I also drank, which I hadn't done for a while*, mainly 'cause I was hoping it would make me tired and let me go to sleep without having to stay awake and think/ruminate about stuff. Obviously it didn't work, so I'll have to bear that in mind in future!

Problem is, by putting stuff off over the weekend, I have shítloads of work to get through in the coming week. And I really don't know if I'm strong enough or smart enough to deal with it all. :(

*I mean drink by myself just 'cause I was depressed; I have gone out drinking with friends and had perfectly fine nights! I don't have an alcohol problem, I just have a small problem with alcohol....if that makes sense? It's like I have an on/off alcoholic switch. I have a similar relationship with tobacco; I'll smoke like a chimney when depressed but give it a rest when I'm doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 letssee7

I think I'll share my depression story- thankfully that seems to be be ending for a positive future :)

Well no need to go into great detail- simply grew up in one of those terrible controlling and isolating families. Finished college, with real no life experience, no self esteem, no confidence and crippling anxiety- I'd estimate I had been depressed for maybe 8 years at this point and it's scary to think how bad things were just 1 year ago- hadn't given up on life, I just seemed entirely oblivious to the fact that I even existed if that makes sense.

Got a job after college but wasn't handling life well- anxieties were making me feel physically ill constantly, was in breakdown mode (holding back tears in work...) then about 10 months ago I saw an article by comedian Carol Tobin on depression. What she said described my pain and fears exactly and she made it quite clear how essential getting help was. This changed my life, within weeks I visited a GP and got referred to a counsellor.

Since then I've tried everything (hypnotherapy, lots of self help techniques, yoga, mindful meditation, cbt, counselling), have left home (the cause of most of my anxieties) and have really put myself out there.

The change has been incredible. For a guy who had 0 experience with girls I've since had a girlfriend [though things didn't work out :p] and get attention on nights out, I feel so much more confident talking to people and in life in general, naturally taking better care of my body and mind as I'm starting to value myself. Looking through photos the change is incredible- I know this sounds silly but I've gone from a 3/10 to a 7/10 and theres still room for work! Feel so much more like me and know things will turn out well! It's even gotten to the stage where my counsellor feels we're coming to an end. Compare this to a year ago when paying for petrol was nerve-wracking and I'd sometimes have thoughts of suicide flitter through my brain. Of course the work doesn't end there- still intend to use self-help and relaxation techniques until I really melt into the person I want to be.

What I've found is to figure out whats causing stress or holding you back and simply cut it out of your life if possible. Your environment massively impacts your life, get the environment right and you can begin to work on yourself!

Back to work tomorrow after two weeks off- hope all goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

efb wrote: »
    Back to work tomorrow after two weeks off- hope all goes well!

Best of luck efb and let us know how you get on.

ONE LIFE LIVE IT !!!!! :)

In terrible form yesterday- went back to work, lots of sh!t o/s, snotty mail from a co-worker and just felt things getting on top of me.

Working from home today, slept til 12, in bad form all day.

In terrible form yesterday- went back to work, lots of sh!t o/s, snotty mail from a co-worker and just felt things getting on top of me.

Working from home today, slept til 12, in bad form all day.

EFB,

Take it easy, one day at a time.

Your health is much more important than outstanding work issues which should have been dealt with by co-workers during your absence. They are issues for your employers, immediate boss to worry about. Perhaps a chat with your immediate boss in a non-confrontational way may help alleviate your concerns. However it would be worth keeping a note of your conversation in your Diary, just in case you need to remind your boss or involve a third party or escalate the issue,

Remember your Employers are duty bound to protect the Welfare of their employees under the Health and Safety Act.

While we live through difficult economic times it is unacceptable that the health of employees should be put at risk by Management inadequacies, ie poor work methods, unfair distribution of workloads.

Is work the primary cause of your illness? Do your Employers have an Employment Assistance Programme in place.?

Trying to work from home may not be the best solution. It can make one feel more isolated. While it may create a temporary space to give you a chance to catch up on whatever tasks need your attention, nonetheless it is almost tolerating an unacceptable workload.

Your health is your wealth!!!:)

Please feel free to PM regarding any of the above points

Del is right efb. I once had a job where I used to dread going in holidays because I knew nobody could take on my work on top of their own and it would all be piled up all over my desk when I got back! :(

It was a symptom of general bad management, everyone had too big a workload and we were constantly trying to play catch up. Made it a very bad place to work.

Do make sure your employers understand the situation if your workload is too heavy. It is a common cause of great stress and trouble at work. It is your managers responsibility to make sure that you have a workload you can manage. Telling them that there is a problem is infinitely better than drowning under work and having them caught short when x task isn't done because you were so busy with tasks a,b,c,d, and e!

Hi thanks for the advice lads. My boss is really good it's just the cutbacks etc

Hi thanks for the advice lads. My boss is really good it's just the cutbacks etc

A good boss can make all the difference, I'm glad you have one :)
    The recessions making life so difficult for a lot of workers, the same kind of stuff is happening to my brother and things were getting bad in my job when I stopped working. I understand how pressured you can feel. A good few times I went all the way to work and couldn't get past the front door, I'd stand there for five minutes trying to make myself go in and in the end I'd have to turn around and go home.

Keep your chin up and when you're feeling stressed remember you're doing the best you can. Work is only one part of your life, don't let it take over. It's okay to take five minutes and practice sone deep breathing to collect yourself when you need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

I'm in the middle of moving house. Today is the last day in the house I've lived in for the last 12 years. I'm freaking out a bit. And my mother is staying. And all my stuff is everywhere. Nothing is tidy, clean or organised, which I hate. And I can't find anything and keep forgetting stuff between the new house and the old one. And my dog is going to her new home today, I'm missing her already! I need to sleep for about 24 hours. I want to go and hide out in a cave.

On a more positive note, I really like what you said Starling about work only being one part of your life. Just do the best you can and then let it go. That's been my mantra for the past four weeks :)

That is good, however your boss still has a duty of care to you.

Sure there are cutbacks, however they cannot be so severe as to put one's health in jeopardy.

Do the best you can but don@t be afraid to communicate your concerns to your boss.

God forbid , if your health deteriorated as a direct result of work related stress, even the nicest boss will take to the hills, protect his ass, and leave you in the lurch.

Work related Stress is an ever increasing issue in today's business environment, just make sure to look after yourself. Employers try to brush it under the carpet, some however have Employment Assistance programmes for their staff.

The EAP is essentially a confidential helpline number , wherein a staff member can speak confidentially to an outside agency who have a team of Professionals like Counsellors with who you can meet and get advice on how to deal with stress or at least protect yourself from its harms:)

Cliona99 wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of moving house. Today is the last day in the house I've lived in for the last 12 years. I'm freaking out a bit. And my mother is staying. And all my stuff is everywhere. Nothing is tidy, clean or organised, which I hate. And I can't find anything and keep forgetting stuff between the new house and the old one. And my dog is going to her new home today, I'm missing her already! I need to sleep for about 24 hours. I want to go and hide out in a cave.

On a more positive note, I really like what you said Starling about work only being one part of your life. Just do the best you can and then let it go. That's been my mantra for the past four weeks :)

Cliona,

Best wishes with your house move.
    What is all this stress about? You are just commencing life as the New Cliona.
    Tomorrow is another day , everything will get sorted, it just takes a little time.
    C'mon it is time to put on the kettle and have a brew. A nice cup of camomile tea and a slice of lemon cake. Of course you can take 15 mins out to chill and enjoy the wonderful aromas of camomile and lemon.
    Be kind to yourself!
    Relax this evening , go to bed early ,let your head sink into your pillows and feel your body unwind in your bed.
    Tomorrow , you can continue your journey as New Cliona.
    No one said it would be an easy transition, however the worst you have left behind , now it is onwards and upwards.

Kindest Wishes

Del

PS. Whenever you are having your house warmer your Boardsie friends here I am certain will be delighted to attend

Slept all day. Had a really bad day yesterday

I'm so sick of this, going round in fcuking circles, feeling like shight.

It affects my work, my relationships, my friendships, everything.

I feel like Im becoming more removed from the world to, like the easiest thing to do is sleep and hide away from the world.

It affects my work and this upsets me as I'll never develop my career being like this. Its like things just get worse I just want to hide away from the world.

I feel like Im becoming more removed from the world to, like the easiest thing to do is sleep and hide away from the world.

It affects my work and this upsets me as I'll never develop my career being like this. Its like things just get worse I just want to hide away from the world.

Have you consulted with your GP recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Can I ask you a question whats your diet like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Some of you might like this, I dunno!

Cliona99 wrote: »

I know exactly what you mean about the stress of moving. Last time I moved I felt the same way. I'm not naturally an organised person, but having a tidy, organised environment where things are in their places and I know where to find them makes me a lot less anxious.

I find that when i'm in a low phase you can see it because keeping things tidy and organised has become too much of an effort and my environment gets untidy and I don't know where anything is. And that makes my mood lower because just looking at a mess makes you less calm. It's a vicious circle. Trying to move house makes it worse because having things in boxes or in different houses is really frustrating!

And my beautiful and affectionate cats had to go to the DSPCA last time I moved, I was absolutely devastated! They used to follow me around my flat and sleep cuddled up in the bed and everything, I still miss them. Saying goodbye to a beloved pet is always very upsetting.

But OTOH moving in to a new place means getting to organise your space from scratch and find the best places to put things etc - maybe it's just me but I find that weirdly satisfying! :) You really can make it a new start, a chance to build new routines and to de-clutter your environment by getting rid of things you don't need any more! I'm a hoarder by nature and find it difficult to throw things away, yet when I do, it feels oddly freeing.

So even though things are stressful and disorganized at the moment, just think, soon it'll be done and you can get to enjoying your new space where everything is stored and organised the way you want :D

• Advertisement

No sleep!

Advertisement