Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

efb wrote: »
    So on edge today without any real reason why!

Just take it easy.

Chill out , relax , be kind to yourself, because you are worth it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Was I the only person who heard DeVore on The Last Word this evening? It takes guts to publically associate yourself with mental health awareness, I really admire you for doing it DeV.

Regarding the point about people becoming more isolated by the Internet, we know that there are posters on here who have only ever disclosed their issues to us. If it wasn't for this thread some people might not still be around, as a result of it they are here and helping and informing others.

murria wrote: »
    Was I the only person who heard DeVore on The Last Word this evening? It takes guts to publically associate yourself with mental health awareness, I really admire you for doing it DeV.

Regarding the point about people becoming more isolated by the Internet, we know that there are posters on here who have only ever disclosed their issues to us. If it wasn't for this thread some people might not still be around, as a result of it they are here and helping and informing others.

Sorry , I did not here DeVore this evening as I was attending a course.

Without this thread there are many regular posters here who may never have discussed their feelings with anyone .

I think a wonderful community has developed as a result of Devores efforts on this thread, and as a number of us met last week in Dublin we certainly don't feel isolated.

Hopefully many more contributors will turn up at our next meeting

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hi All,

Hope evertone is doing well

Regards,

Del

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

With the help of weed I'm feeling a bit lighter the last few days (ye don't say...) and I think I'll spend the evening doing some painting.

Any days relief is better than none. I can get back to worrying in the coming days but I'm takin a day off today.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

On the bad days I simply set my course, laid out what I absolutely had to do that day and avoided making any decisions. Its not the same as just hiding under the blanket :) ... its choosing that today isnt the best day for strenuous activity and you arent in a good decision making frame of mind. Treat yourself well, cruise through the rough patch in the certain knowledge that you will come through it and return to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I'm sure some of you will know this guy, but if you haven't you should have a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Apologies if this has been posted before, I just spotted it today....an awful lot of the comics really resonated, especially no.7 and no. 18.
    hope everyone's doing as ok as they can....
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/comics-that-capture-the-frustrations-of-depression

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

itac wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been posted before, I just spotted it today....an awful lot of the comics really resonated, especially no.7 and no. 18.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/comics-that-capture-the-frustrations-of-depression

Thanks for posting that,6 and 9 are the two that pop out at me in regards to my son. They really resonate, but those two jump out at me. Hope everyone's doing ok and getting through each day as best as they can also.

• Advertisement

In the spirit of sharing, this guy is very wise. I watch videos of him for insight more than anything.

In this video I was reminded that the content of my mind arises naturally, outside of my control. Today I became markedly more peaceful as I became aware of my body and the relief that I could easily manage to create distance between the content of my mind and it.

For example, to quieten the perpetual monologue I looked to a distant tree and imagind the words were being rendered (like the opening credits to some computer games) in a parallel perspective just across the silhouette of tree. So I am essentially reading my monologue as it is produced. What I noticed is I would start off with a thought (sentence) at the beginning but very soon the words were not scrolling across as much, there were gaps, a lot of 'well's and 'maybe's and 'but's. I ended up just staring at the tree for a minute or two and not a single word was being produced that I was thinking. I might not have explained it best, but basically, the man in the video prompted it.

EDIT: So now the content of my mind is kind of inside a balloon that is still attached to my head by a string, all of its infinite musings are still present in the balloon but my psychological assocation of it being physically heavy and between my eyes isn't there this afternoon. So all that is just floating about 6 feet above my body, attached only by a flimsy string... I wonder how crazy I must sound in search for some solace!

Hadn't seen that before. Gosh, quite a few resonate with me for various reasons. No. 14 has made me feel very upset though, I remember when my daughter first started to feel bad and she said to me"how come you 'get' everyone but me?". Really hope I wasn't that bad. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

7 8 9 14 and 18... kinda toeing the line the past couple of weeks, new job (full time) and new degree to study for (part time) early starts and long days have me feeling really dwn , eating as a way of coping which is increasing weight= decreasing confidence. . Il gt bck to normal in a week r 2 in a couple of weeks, just a bit on edge

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's a fabulous collection of ideas! Thanks!

Those are AWESOME, but 18 is the message I'm looking to send.

I dont see weakness. I see strength. I dont pity, I admire. I know how tough this fight is and I see warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

Hi all,

Just thought I'd mention a yogic breathing technique here that might help people deal with stress/anxiety. I've just recently come across this practice, am going to try it out for a few weeks and will let anyone know benefits I get from it if they're interested. The breathing technique is called 'breath of fire' or 'kapalabhati' breathing.

there are few short videos explaining what it is on YouTube. here are links:

http://youtu.be/V86Xao9bcRI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQB9q1gQXlI&feature=share&list=FL7y1I5_AxXg9YFmzxeMgRYQ
    http://youtu.be/OKqWXieA_8c
    http://youtu.be/1gpYEvALCZA
    http://youtu.be/ZBjnograjq4

You don't have to be able to sit cross-legged. You can stand or sit either. And you don't have to listen to Indian music whilst doing it!

Just so people know, I am trying this out along with taking medication. Am not one of those people who think alternative therapy can fix everything.

M

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just thought I'd mention a yogic breathing technique here that might help people deal with stress/anxiety. I've just recently come across this practice, am going to try it out for a few weeks and will let anyone know benefits I get from it if they're interested. The breathing technique is called 'breath of fire' or 'kapalabhati' breathing.

there are few short videos explaining what it is on YouTube. here are links:

http://youtu.be/V86Xao9bcRI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQB9q1gQXlI&feature=share&list=FL7y1I5_AxXg9YFmzxeMgRYQ
    http://youtu.be/OKqWXieA_8c
    http://youtu.be/ZBjnograjq4

You don't have to be able to sit cross-legged. You can stand or sit either. And you don't have to listen to Indian music whilst doing it!

Just so people know, I am trying this out along with taking medication. Am not one of those people who think alternative therapy can fix everything.

Marianne

Good luck, I think naturally it will relieve physical tension in the nervous system which will, if done daily as you say, result in a heightened feeling of well being.

Not to say our behavioral and mental bad habits will go away (I'd say I've spent 10 hours in the mirror between today and yesterday and haven't left the house) but from simply giving the body something it isn't used to (like this yogic breathing which involves moderate use of the muscles) it opens up new space I find. I am discovering new parts of my own body from this kind of thing, parts of me where the nervous system has been so overloaded that I realised I couldn't actually 'feel' them. But I am at the more extreme end of the muscle-body tension spectrum I'd say.

“There is a wisdom that is woe; but there is a woe that is madness. And there is a Catskill eagle in some souls that can alike dive down into the blackest gorges, and soar out of them again and become invisible in the sunny spaces. And even if he for ever flies within the gorge, that gorge is in the mountains; so that even in his lowest swoop the mountain eagle is still higher than other birds upon the plain, even though they soar. ”

― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

Woke up this morning after a night of drinking (alone) and excruciating pain with whatever that physical spear lodged in my brain gone.

Have to keep a lid on how good I feel this morning but there's no one home and I'm doing a sketch with myself doing the voices of mr. anderson and neo in the matrix, basically the kind of comedy-take-the-piss thing ye'd see will ferrell doing. I've got the voices down and some pretty funny stuff, if this relief continues and I find my way out of this mess I will hopefully start some comedy videos on youtube (that is after conquering body dysmorphic disorder).

First report of a fully good morning from me since I can't even remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Woke up this morning after a night of drinking (alone) and excruciating pain with whatever that physical spear lodged in my brain gone.

Have to keep a lid on how good I feel this morning but there's no one home and I'm doing a sketch with myself doing the voices of mr. anderson and neo in the matrix, basically the kind of comedy-take-the-piss thing ye'd see will ferrell doing. I've got the voices down and some pretty funny stuff, if this relief continues and I find my way out of this mess I will hopefully start some comedy videos on youtube (that is after conquering body dysmorphic disorder).

First report of a fully good morning from me since I can't even remember.

Body dysmorphic disorder. .. with u there.. is a bitch

• Advertisement

I went to two groups in st pats just actually thinking it would benefit me, guess what: I was the only one there both times!

Think it happened to be sunny those days

So, Silicon Republic did a piece on mental health talking about this thread and me ahead of tonights conference on the topic.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/item/34300-internet-and-social-media/

Its so weird talking to journalists. Even ones who WANT to get the message straight seem to manage to mangle it in the process. Some of the quotes from me are accurate but out of context and so seem a bit "odd". Others are fabrications of what I said in a longer form and condensed into pseudo-quotes and other bits are just... eh?!

Anyway, the plus side is that its another chip away at the problem and maybe more people will start to think about the issue and possible solutions.

I'm still a bit "strange" about being the poster boy for this, especially when I have a currently active new startup seeking investment but I guess I opened this pandoras box, cant really blame anyone else :)

I went to two groups in st pats just actually thinking it would benefit me, guess what: I was the only one there both times!

Think it happened to be sunny those days

CMJ,

Long time no speak man!

What are you doing with weed ,alcohol and splendid isolation? That is not the way forward.

You are a very intelligent guy, probably the most intelligent person I have come across. Indeed you have inspired many posters here on Boards, including myself

When did you last consult with your GP? Honestly , I don't think weed , alcohol and being alone are helping you at all.

You are worth more than that, please talk to your medical advisors, even talk to me via PM if you wish. Remember I have been in similar lows in the past, so I have some idea of what you are going through.

Please Jimmy,break the habit you have been following over the last few days. We all care for you Jimmy. Please feel free to give me a call:)

#6, #14 and #15 = my life summed up in three cartoons. Thanks for sharing them.

It's wonderful that people are able to create stuff like this and share it with the world, but it still makes me feel sad in a way 'cause I feel so inadequate in comparison. On the one hand it's great for someone like Allie Brosh (of Hyperbole and a Half) to reach out to people and be totally honest about her experiences. But the fact that her comic has touched so many people just goes to show that she's got talent, that she has something to offer the world. If I was good at art or writing or music or anything like that I'd like to think I could create something that would both touch people and show off that I was actually good at something, anything. Not having any sort of creative thinking or artistic ability is something that always makes me feel sucky. :(

Anyone else feel like this? That even seeing/reading/listening to things that should make you feel better about yourself also sometimes just serve to remind you of your shortcomings?

DeVore wrote: »
    So, Silicon Republic did a piece on mental health talking about this thread and me ahead of tonights conference on the topic.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/item/34300-internet-and-social-media/

Its so weird talking to journalists. Even ones who WANT to get the message straight seem to manage to mangle it in the process. Some of the quotes from me are accurate but out of context and so seem a bit "odd". Others are fabrications of what I said in a longer form and condensed into pseudo-quotes and other bits are just... eh?!

Anyway, the plus side is that its another chip away at the problem and maybe more people will start to think about the issue and possible solutions.

I'm still a bit "strange" about being the poster boy for this, especially when I have a currently active new startup seeking investment but I guess I opened this pandoras box, cant really blame anyone else :)

It's all good, no-one but you (and the interviewer) knows it's not exactly as you said. It's great that you are speaking out about it, more people should.

Good luck with the conference tonight.

PS: They did a nice job airbrushing the pic. :D

CMJ,

Long time no speak man!

What are you doing with weed ,alcohol and splendid isolation? That is not the way forward.

You are a very intelligent guy, probably the most intelligent person I have come across. Indeed you have inspired many posters here on Boards, including myself

When did you last consult with your GP? Honestly , I don't think weed , alcohol and being alone are helping you at all.

You are worth more than that, please talk to your medical advisors, even talk to me via PM if you wish. Remember I have been in similar lows in the past, so I have some idea of what you are going through.

Please Jimmy,break the habit you have been following over the last few days. We all care for you Jimmy. Please feel free to give me a call:)

Del, quite touched by your post. The first posts I remember of you detailed your appreciation of the nature around you on your walks. I thought to myself 'what an honest, fresh attitude this guy has.' I could tell you had been through the wars just by how appreciatively you wrote about the wind, asking people to look around and take what solace they can from the inherent beauty of being. I must say that you have helped me.

As far as weed, alcohol and isolation go, for a couple of years I just could not relax enough to laugh without weed. I once or twice got a bit too much into it, but largely it is an intermittent thing. Desperation, del. Alcohol similarly, I'm no massive drinker, maybe once every two weeks would I have a drink. I feel like I have a handle of these things.

Isolation, for me, has been my life for years now. At a young age I knew I had a problem and sought help from a very expensive psychiatrist and psychologist and wasn't able to make any progress. Unlike some here, I don't feel incredibly bad for some completely inexplicable reason. I have a form of OCD which theoretically is curable, but I just haven't found my way. So I paper over the cracks. My attitude is that if I stay around long enough and try my best I have a chance of getting better. But I have been mature enough to realise I haven't been ready to change myself and so have not returned to formal medicine.

[Forrest Gump] And that's all I have to say about that... [/Forrest Gump]

This spear being removed from my brain might be the start of something though. I know I will probably need the help of CBT when I have gotten to a more stable place and ready to reintegrate.

I really appreciate your concern, I picture you are out on those walks every day. And your efforts involving the meetup are more than noble!

#6, #14 and #15 = my life summed up in three cartoons. Thanks for sharing them.

It's wonderful that people are able to create stuff like this and share it with the world, but it still makes me feel sad in a way 'cause I feel so inadequate in comparison. On the one hand it's great for someone like Allie Brosh (of Hyperbole and a Half) to reach out to people and be totally honest about her experiences. But the fact that her comic has touched so many people just goes to show that she's got talent, that she has something to offer the world. If I was good at art or writing or music or anything like that I'd like to think I could create something that would both touch people and show off that I was actually good at something, anything. Not having any sort of creative thinking or artistic ability is something that always makes me feel sucky. :(

Anyone else feel like this? That even seeing/reading/listening to things that should make you feel better about yourself also sometimes just serve to remind you of your shortcomings?

Was just thinking, what happed to Homer? Haven't seen him in a while.

From your posts you sound extremely unwell and from experience it is very hard for anything creative to come from such a mental environment. I sometimes notice similarities in how we think, but the only answer, say for the above reaction is simply to allow yourself breathing space in terms of judgement - of yourself and others. It is cancerous. I hope for your sake you reach the point soon where you begin to say 'hold on, I'm too tired of this type of thinking.' and begin to loosen your own identification with thoughts as their only power is in how much you identify with them.

I hope you get some relief in your days? At all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭Bananatop

I wish everyone the best of luck with the good fight - your openness and honesty is helping those who are too afraid to talk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Just checking in, hope everyone is well :)

The past couple of days have been pretty rubbish. I have just been staying in bed, not even answering the phone. I can hardly even be bothered to eat. I'm hoping this passes soon...

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Just checking in, hope everyone is well :)

The past couple of days have been pretty rubbish. I have just been staying in bed, not even answering the phone. I can hardly even be bothered to eat. I'm hoping this passes soon...

Hi there,sorry to hear you're feeling bad, just take it easy, do what you can. Take small steps, try to eat a little, be kind to yourself and know that people really do care. Things will get better in time.

• Advertisement

Hi Folks,

Hope you are all enjoying this fabulous Autumnal weather.

Please if you have been stuck indoors for a few days, get out into the sunshine and enjoy nature's palette in all its glory.

Get down to your local park and check out the various colours., gold, yellow ochre, orange ,red etc. Look at the berries on the trees and watch the birds feeding on the bounty

Why not distract yourself , walk around and listen to the leaves crunch beneath your feet.

Buy a little box of paints or crayons available for a few euro and replicate the colours on a sheet of paper. It is amazing by getting closer to nature how quickly one can forget all problems .

Watch the swallows gathering on the phone lines as they regroup before heading their long journey south for the winter.

I was out walking on the beach this morning with doggy, and noticed the wonderful seaweed in various colours on the strand. When I looked around I noticed how the the mountain colours have changed from green to purple as the heathers flourish after our long hot summer. The sea air was fantastic and I filled my lungs with that wonderful salty air.

I am sure many of you think by now that Del has finally cracked....no I was reminded that many of the best things in life are free, on my long walk with doggy we ran along the beach, and met other people on the beach too. We exchanged greetings and brief chats ensued regarding the scenery and the seaweed. No negative thoughts of any description were exchanged.

On arrival home it was time for coffee. It too tasted great with a couple of biscuits!!!!

Folks, it is a tough battle for us all every day, however we need to be really kind to ourselves, enjoy the simple pleasures and enjoy life. Life is for living! Get out and start living again, please:)

Advertisement