Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Everytime I think I've finally beat the depression because I've been thinking and feeling positive for a while (a few weeks this time!), out of nowhere I feel miserable again. Tired, fed up, no motivation to do anything and just can't seem to snap myself out of it. Fed up :-(

Keep the chin up! Well done on posting here.
    You are experiencing typical symptoms of Depression. Have you consulted with your GP.? It is well worth having a chat with your GP or indeed a Counsellor. Please be gentle and kind to yourself.
    Kindest Wishes,
    Del

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Keep the chin up! Well done on posting here.
    You are experiencing typical symptoms of Depression. Have you consulted with your GP.? It is well worth having a chat with your GP or indeed a Counsellor. Please be gentle and kind to yourself.
    Kindest Wishes,
    Del

Thanks Del. I am on anti-depressants the last 3 years or so. I came off them for a while end of last year/start of this year but went through a bad break-up earlier this year and couldn't cope at all. I was extremely depressed and feeling suicidal so knew I had to get help if I wanted to fight it and get better so Iwent back to my GP and am back on the anti-depressants since (about 4 months). I also went to see a councellor a couple of times but I didn't really feel it was benefitting me. I had been feeling better over the last few weeks but for some reason have been feeling particularly low the last couple of days but I can't pinpoint a reason why. I seem to have just hit an awful low again out of nowhere.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Kauto, you'll get back there. Each time I get a bout now its easier to deal with. Cognitive Behavourial Therapy really helped me see things from "the outside" and put them in perspective. Its no cure but every time you beat it, you learn a little more about HOW you beat it and eventually, you'll have it in an arm lock and while it never goes away, it becomes a lot less trouble :)

Same for you Jimmy, you now know that the sunshine is there, you know you can find your way to it now.You did before and you will again. You can make the transition from "I'm a victim having a good day" to "I'm a person having a bad one" . You'll find ways to return to the light.
    Hard to explain, but thats been my experience!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Care to share JupiterKid? I am sure other people would be interested, including myself!

Well, the course is held in St. Edmundsbury hospital and runs for 12 weeks. It centres of how low self esteem develops in childhood ("schema" therapy) and how we can take steps to address the low self-esteem and develop a sense of healthy self-esteem. :)

If you're interested contact day services at St. Edmundsbury Hospital in Lucan.

I certainly find that it's helping me - especially through this currently difficult time.

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Thanks Del. I am on anti-depressants the last 3 years or so. I came off them for a while end of last year/start of this year but went through a bad break-up earlier this year and couldn't cope at all. I was extremely depressed and feeling suicidal so knew I had to get help if I wanted to fight it and get better so Iwent back to my GP and am back on the anti-depressants since (about 4 months). I also went to see a councellor a couple of times but I didn't really feel it was benefitting me. I had been feeling better over the last few weeks but for some reason have been feeling particularly low the last couple of days but I can't pinpoint a reason why. I seem to have just hit an awful low again out of nowhere.

Hi Kauto,
    No problem!
    Just take things easy. These low points will pass too!
    Depression is an unusual condition, sometimes a low can come out of nowhere. Personally,imho, I find it worthwhile to go with the flow and concentrate on protecting myself and getting out of low, rather than worrying too much on why.
    There can be lots of reasons , tiredness, stress, weather, diet , lack of exercise............the list goes on .
    Most importantly, keep contact with your GPs and follow their advice, after all they have your best interests at heart.
    Remember you have joined a rather elite force here on Boards, all soldiers in the fight against Depression.
    You are never alone, we are here for each other.
    Stay strong and spoil yourself.
    Del

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Well, the course is held in St. Edmundsbury hospital and runs for 12 weeks. It centres of how low self esteem develops in childhood ("schema" therapy) and how we can take steps to address the low self-esteem and develop a sense of healthy self-esteem. :)

If you're interested contact day services at St. Edmundsbury Hospital in Lucan.

I certainly find that it's helping me - especially through this currently difficult time.

Well done Jupiter Kid,

Delighted to hear you are making progress.

Stay strong

Best Wishes,

Del:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Here's a question for people. For me there's obviously a very specific reason (or at least on a conscious level) that I get down. I generally don't get down about anything else.

I'm wondering do other people have a top-thing that seems to get them down most of the time or is it more of a feeling down, then start thinking about all the things in a negative light?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Hi Kauto,
    No problem!
    Just take things easy. These low points will pass too!
    Depression is an unusual condition, sometimes a low can come out of nowhere. Personally,imho, I find it worthwhile to go with the flow and concentrate on protecting myself and getting out of low, rather than worrying too much on why.
    There can be lots of reasons , tiredness, stress, weather, diet , lack of exercise............the list goes on .
    Most importantly, keep contact with your GPs and follow their advice, after all they have your best interests at heart.
    Remember you have joined a rather elite force here on Boards, all soldiers in the fight against Depression.
    You are never alone, we are here for each other.
    Stay strong and spoil yourself.
    Del

Thanks! I'm glad I posted here now. The support is great.

Here's a question for people. For me there's obviously a very specific reason (or at least on a conscious level) that I get down. I generally don't get down about anything else.

I'm wondering do other people have a top-thing that seems to get them down most of the time or is it more of a feeling down, then start thinking about all the things in a negative light?

Yes Jimmy, there was a specific cause of my severe Depression. Unfortunately the ongoing Depression returns to the surface when I feel stressed, tired, which causes me to hit extreme lows , enough to keep me in bed all day...........
    I have to protect myself by rechecking to ensure that I am living in the now and not the past!
    Life must go on, the lows pass, I battle on , the fog lifts and I continue living. Hope I am making sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

I would never have really believed that I sufffered with depression, its been more about anxiety, maybe I was in denial about the depression. My anxiety centered on my health and travel. I have spent a lot of time having tests, MRI, lumbar punctures, scans, scopes etc. etc. , thinking I was going to die in a plane crash, car crash. I realised after a while it was because my mam died young.

I suppose the longer I live the less I worry about it and I'm able to laugh at my anxiety now, e.g. son learning to drive wanted me to accompany him, whole family response was "don't go with her she'll ruin it for you!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There isnt a single one thing that causes it for me but I use the HALT mnemonic (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) to know when I need to take care. Any one of those is ok on its own, two or more and its bad, all four and its flashing red lights and time to scoff some food, play with the dog and get a good nights sleep. :)

One thing I did learn was, as Chaplin said, "take your pain and play with it". You are not your unbidden thoughts, you are the thinking around them. When I started to accept "hey, I'm human, I'm allowed to have things wrong with me" and started to laugh at my stress and tension over it, then I started to get well. Its not all perfect in the garden by any means but its certainly a lot better for that.

DeVore wrote: »
    There isnt a single one thing that causes it for me but I use the HALT mnemonic (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) to know when I need to take care. Any one of those is ok on its own, two or more and its bad, all four and its flashing red lights and time to scoff some food, play with the dog and get a good nights sleep. :)

One thing I did learn was, as Chaplin said, "take your pain and play with it". You are not your unbidden thoughts, you are the thinking around them. When I started to accept "hey, I'm human, I'm allowed to have things wrong with me" and started to laugh at my stress and tension over it, then I started to get well. Its not all perfect in the garden by any means but its certainly a lot better for that.

Certainly laughter helps lift my mood. Look back at a few Fawlty Towers episodes, all classics in their own right. The Good Life, again a BBC production also forces a giggle from me. Have a look around I'm sure you will find your favourite comedy shows which will bring about a laugh.
    I often laugh at myself, sounds weird I know! Sometimes when my mind drifts into the past I laugh at the stupidity of getting upset over something which in THE NOW is of no importance to my daily life, nor indeed the future.
    Go on, find a comedy programme this evening , relax and watch. Please tell me tomorrow if you failed to giggle, laugh or smile:D
    Laughter is good for you!:D:D:D

Certainly laughter helps lift my mood. Look back at a few Fawlty Towers episodes, all classics in their own right. The Good Life, again a BBC production also forces a giggle from me. Have a look around I'm sure you will find your favourite comedy shows which will bring about a laugh.
    I often laugh at myself, sounds weird I know! Sometimes when my mind drifts into the past I laugh at the stupidity of getting upset over something which in THE NOW is of no importance to my daily life, nor indeed the future.
    Go on, find a comedy programme this evening , relax and watch. Please tell me tomorrow if you failed to giggle, laugh or smile:D
    Laughter is good for you!:D:D:D

You've Been Framed for me. Just love old ladies falling down, especially into water. :)

I remember me and a friend were sitting around watching crap tv and on came you've been framed or one of those clip shows and we were both kind of like 'it's just the same thing every time'.

Two babies and an old lady later we were pissin ourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

DeVore wrote: »
    There isnt a single one thing that causes it for me but I use the HALT mnemonic (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) to know when I need to take care.

That's very good advice! I started looking after those causes a while ago, out of instinct and need for experimentation and it proves that if I have my basic needs satisfied I'm much less likely to have a fall.

I highly recommend it to anyone, who doesn't know where to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

murria wrote: »
    You've Been Framed for me. Just love old ladies falling down, especially into water. :)

+1 on this

My son and myself watch this together, absolutely brilliant just to hear him laughing and really enjoying it :) . The little things that mean a lot :)

Some of the funniest guys currently on TV; Graham Norton, Dara O'Briain, Andrew Maxwell.....................these guys certainly make me laugh!:D

Just back from the beach with doggy. Wow! What a gorgeous afternoon 22 degrees , sunshine, salt air , smell of seaweed drying out on the golden sand.
    It is great to be alive. 1st October2013:D Still T shirt and shorts weather:D
    Wherever you are get out and welcome Autumn!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

Some of the funniest guys currently on TV; Graham Norton, Dara O'Briain, Andrew Maxwell.....................these guys certainly make me laugh!:D

Just back from the beach with doggy. Wow! What a gorgeous afternoon 22 degrees , sunshine, salt air , smell of seaweed drying out on the golden sand.
    It is great to be alive. 1st October2013:D Still T shirt and shorts weather:D
    Wherever you are get out and welcome Autumn!

You're definitely not in Dublin, buddy :D

For Call Me Jimmy and Mam of 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqvif7AgocU

Now, back to the serious business of depression and anxiety. :D

Have the beginnings of a song on the piano with lyrics, might be a bit cringe but thought I'd share. This is also an implicit update of me doing better today.

Oh Mother, what a lonely road!
    So lonely,
    nearly too lonely.

But isn't it so beautiful!
    This beauty;
    beauty I've the time to see.

So I'm looking out and I don't know
    what's inside of me,
    or what is really beneath my feet.

It's a perpetual lonely road,
    and it shows me,
    it brings me to see the trees.

Without it I'd be on my own,
    dealing in weeds,
    feeling my legs bleed.

But Mother, I'm a mending soul!
    the road is guiding me,
    and with it I am striding free.

• Advertisement

Thanks for posting that Jimmy, it's really good, should have guessed you were a writer. Love the poignantly positive last verse. What genre is your music? I'm guessing either at a kind of early Floyd thing or maybe blues. Bet I'm way off.

Was just thinking, what happed to Homer? Haven't seen him in a while.

From your posts you sound extremely unwell and from experience it is very hard for anything creative to come from such a mental environment. I sometimes notice similarities in how we think, but the only answer, say for the above reaction is simply to allow yourself breathing space in terms of judgement - of yourself and others. It is cancerous. I hope for your sake you reach the point soon where you begin to say 'hold on, I'm too tired of this type of thinking.' and begin to loosen your own identification with thoughts as their only power is in how much you identify with them.

I hope you get some relief in your days? At all?

Thanks Jimmy, nice that people remember me. :) It'd be nicer if it was under better circumstances though.

And no, not much relief I'm afraid. Went to Munich for Oktoberfest which was fun but I made a fool of myself living up to the "drunken Irish fool abroad" stereotype that I hate. :rolleyes:
    And then I submitted my MSc dissertation yesterday - it was apallingly bad. I spent so much time trying to perfect the introduction and the literature review that I ran out of time for the actual project work. Then the approach I tried failed and I had no other ideas. There's no way I could have passed it, and even more crushingly I only needed the bare 50% to get a merit overall. It's just so typical of me to fail or suck at everything I try at - I was so close to a merit in my Masters, something I could be proud of, and I managed to fúck it up. I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to do next, I can't think of any reason to be optimistic right now. :(

murria wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that Jimmy, it's really good, should have guessed you were a writer. Love the poignantly positive last verse. What genre is your music? I'm guessing either at a kind of early Floyd thing or maybe blues. Bet I'm way off.

Cheers murria, it's whatever genre I can play slow enough to sing to! I never learned piano properly, so I just play chords and sing along.

Homer, good to hear from you again. Could there be any possibility that you get the 50%? Every single thing I did in college includin my final project, I was like 'it won't be possible for them to pass me' etc but it turned out they did.

Just, is it possible you might get 50%?

Just, is it possible you might get 50%?

Not unless they're handing out charity. It really was that bad. I made no progress on what I was supposed to be doing and submitted a pathetic attempt at it along with an overly-researched literature review. My peers are off starting jobs or PhDs whereas I'm stuck back at home (in the middle of nowhere) with not a clue what to do next, potentially having to pay to repeat this MSc next year. I have no friends that live locally anymore. Genuinely can't see the point of even bothering to get out of bed for the foreseeable future.

Boogietime wrote: »
    You're definitely not in Dublin, buddy :D

South West!:D

After heavy rain last night, the sun came out around 11am and disappeared around 6.30 pm. Still bright outside as I look out over the Atlantic.

Not unless they're handing out charity. It really was that bad. I made no progress on what I was supposed to be doing and submitted a pathetic attempt at it along with an overly-researched literature review. My peers are off starting jobs or PhDs whereas I'm stuck back at home (in the middle of nowhere) with not a clue what to do next, potentially having to pay to repeat this MSc next year. I have no friends that live locally anymore. Genuinely can't see the point of even bothering to get out of bed for the foreseeable future.

Hold on Homer. You said potentially repeating MSc. So you don't have a result yet? When are you likely to get the result? Glad you enjoyed your trip to Munich and oktoberfest. We are allowed let our hair down once in a while.

Hold on Homer. You said potentially repeating MSc. So you don't have a result yet? When are you likely to get the result? Glad you enjoyed your trip to Munich and oktoberfest. We are allowed let our hair down once in a while.

I say "potentially repeating" because I may not be able to afford to repeat it when the time comes. Result is out later this month but there is absolutely no way I could have passed it. If I can't afford to repeat it then I have to settle for a diploma or something, which would just be crushing after getting a solid merit in all my exams (that in itself was disappointing considering I had a distinction for the first half of the year).

And really I didn't enjoy Munich that much. I was totally in the wrong frame of mind for it all. If I can't even enjoy holidays what hope do I have?

I say "potentially repeating" because I may not be able to afford to repeat it when the time comes. Result is out later this month but there is absolutely no way I could have passed it. If I can't afford to repeat it then I have to settle for a diploma or something, which would just be crushing after getting a solid merit in all my exams (that in itself was disappointing considering I had a distinction for the first half of the year).

And really I didn't enjoy Munich that much. I was totally in the wrong frame of mind for it all. If I can't even enjoy holidays what hope do I have?

Homer,
    Please take one day at a time. The exam results are outside your control at this stage. I understand how stressful it can be waiting for Exam Results.
    Please look after yourself, things very often turn out better than we anticipate!
    Best Wishes,
    Del:)

Today I continue to be strong - and by strong I mean tender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Today I continue to be strong - and by strong I mean tender.
    I see a song there, CMJ! :)

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement