Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I had a duvet day yesterday. Today I feel fantastic, first day in ages. The extreme tiredness I encountered over the last couple of weeks has finally disappeared.

Yes I have been out 3 times today , early on in the sunshine, lunchtime in the wind and about an hour ago in the torrential rain. I feel good, as the song says.

While we need to be gentle with ourselves, it is about listening to our bodies and minds.

Yesterday I recognise that I could not struggle on any more without recharging the batteries, slept most of the day , however I recognised that I still needed fuel in terms of 3 decent meals which I cooked too.

Perhaps we all need a duvet day every now and then, this is not a sign of failure , but a recognition that the mind and body need to be recharged.
    Go do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Perhaps we all need a duvet day every now and then, this is not a sign of failure , but a recognition that the mind and body need to be recharged.
    Go do it!

Yeah I see what you mean but, for me, it all depends on my mood. I'm the kind of person who gets easily irritated if I'm at home most of the day. I would need to be very exhausted, to the point where I could not think too much. Otherwise my head would be spinning about different things.

It's been a while since I contributed. My last contribution was commented on about how I was trying CBT on my own and that I should try to start therapy. Let me just say I didn't stick rigidly to the CBT but have been considering going back to the Aware group discussions (I can't afford counselling so aware is the next best thing). I have finished college and I'm unemployed while I'm trying to find work. I have noticed my moods have become lower in the past while. Ever since I was offered a job and my employer promised me full time work but didn't deliver after my weeks trial (which just turned out to be cover work in disguise), I feel so useless. I signed on today and I just feel I'll never get a job with my irrelevant arts degree (languages) and lack of work experience. No matter how many times I try to show my enthusiasm in coverletters and phonecalls, I get the deaf ear.

I was planning on moving to France during the summer to teach English. I got an offer but felt very unstable in my moods and thinking. I kinda regret it because now I have no job. But I didn't feel ready to take the plunge. I think I made the right decision but I can apply again for next year. I feel I need some time to get my head together and deal with depression/anxiety problems. My anti-depressants are working but I feel I'm thinking too much with my heart over my head at the moment (if that makes sense). Like maybe I'm sabotaging my own happiness or sanity by not logically thinking things through (like moving abroad instead of staying near family and friends in Ireland).

Life is confusing frown.png

Yeah I see what you mean but, for me, it all depends on my mood. I'm the kind of person who gets easily irritated if I'm at home most of the day. I would need to be very exhausted, to the point where I could not think too much. Otherwise my head would be spinning about different things.

It's been a while since I contributed. My last contribution was commented on about how I was trying CBT on my own and that I should try to start therapy. Let me just say I didn't stick rigidly to the CBT but have been considering going back to the Aware group discussions (I can't afford counselling so aware is the next best thing). I have finished college and I'm unemployed while I'm trying to find work. I have noticed my moods have become lower in the past while. Ever since I was offered a job and my employer promised me full time work but didn't deliver after my weeks trial (which just turned out to be cover work in disguise), I feel so useless. I signed on today and I just feel I'll never get a job with my irrelevant arts degree (languages) and lack of work experience. No matter how many times I try to show my enthusiasm in coverletters and phonecalls, I get the deaf ear.

I was planning on moving to France during the summer to teach English. I got an offer but felt very unstable in my moods and thinking. I kinda regret it because now I have no job. But I didn't feel ready to take the plunge. I think I made the right decision but I can apply again for next year. I feel I need some time to get my head together and deal with depression/anxiety problems. My anti-depressants are working but I feel I'm thinking too much with my heart over my head at the moment (if that makes sense). Like maybe I'm sabotaging my own happiness or sanity by not logically thinking things through (like moving abroad instead of staying near family and friends in Ireland).

Life is confusing frown.png

Welcome back.
    Continue with your Aware meetings.
    Would you consider teaching English in Spain? I suggest this as I spoke with a young Irish lady on a flight to Spain some months ago , who was on her way back to Barcelona area to teach English to children and adults. My understanding, there is a demand for teachers to teach English. It might also be a nice break from our winter also ,and create an opportunity to give yourself a bit of space. Bear in mind Spain is only 2.5 hours flight time from Ireland, so it isn't like heading to OZ. Indeed the lady I met on the plane was simply returning after spending a weekend at home with her family and friends.She was certainly very happy with her lot.:)

Welcome back.
    Continue with your Aware meetings.
    Would you consider teaching English in Spain? I suggest this as I spoke with a young Irish lady on a flight to Spain some months ago , who was on her way back to Barcelona area to teach English to children and adults. My understanding, there is a demand for teachers to teach English. It might also be a nice break from our winter also ,and create an opportunity to give yourself a bit of space. Bear in mind Spain is only 2.5 hours flight time from Ireland, so it isn't like heading to OZ. Indeed the lady I met on the plane was simply returning after spending a weekend at home with her family and friends.She was certainly very happy with her lot.:)

Hi Del,
    Yeah I've been thinking about whether I should move abroad but I just get the feeling I've unfinished business in Dublin. I've finally made a few close friends and I'm healing from my issues with my father with my family near me.

Having said that, if I am finding it tough to find a job in Ireland and this is contributing to my depression, I may think strongly about moving abroad. But the idea just scares me at the moment since my moods are low. I fear being far away from family and friends.

Edit: I also came out as gay this year and I just graduated so too much change has already put me out of sorts.

Hi Del,
    Yeah I've been thinking about whether I should move abroad but I just get the feeling I've unfinished business in Dublin. I've finally made a few close friends and I'm healing from my issues with my father with my family near me.

Having said that, if I am finding it tough to find a job in Ireland and this is contributing to my depression, I may think strongly about moving abroad. But the idea just scares me at the moment since my moods are low. I fear being far away from family and friends.

Edit: I also came out as gay this year and I just graduated so too much change has already put me out of sorts.

Ok, you have had quite an amount happen in your life recently.
    Please be very gentle and kind to yourself. Learn to protect your mind and body by putting yourself first. Do what is right for you. Don't get sidetracked by others , this is your life! Live in the Now!

Look why not give teaching in Spain a chance? I have no doubt your family and friends will only be delighted to visit you. They are after all only a short flight away, indeed there is little reason why you could not come home 1 per month to visit .

Having a job and enjoying nice weather I believe will lift your mood, I think you will start living again.At the moment you are at a crossroads. You need to choose the road for you.

Kindest wishes,

Del

• Advertisement

Look why not give teaching in Spain a chance? I have no doubt your family and friends will only be delighted to visit you. They are after all only a short flight away, indeed there is little reason why you could not come home 1 per month to visit .

Having a job and enjoying nice weather I believe will lift your mood, I think you will start living again.At the moment you are at a crossroads. You need to choose the road for you.

l

I know it makes perfect sense but the idea of moving away and starting a new life makes me feel very anxious at the moment. It is definitely a plan of mine in the short term as I want to travel and improve my languages. I have told myself if I haven't found anything in Dublin by December, I'll consider applying for jobs in Spain in January. I'm definitely applying for a grad programme in France that begins next September which would mean relocating to France.

In the meantime, I'll try to take care of myself.

All the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

I know it makes perfect sense but the idea of moving away and starting a new life makes me feel very anxious at the moment. It is definitely a plan of mine in the short term as I want to travel and improve my languages. I have told myself if I haven't found anything in Dublin by December, I'll consider applying for jobs in Spain in January. I'm definitely applying for a grad programme in France that begins next September which would mean relocating to France.

In the meantime, I'll try to take care of myself.

All the best :)

There you go then you have a plan. I think that makes perfect sense and like you said it's important to have family and friends around when you aren't feeling completely stable. Nurture yourself now while you have time on your hands; Aware meetings, mindfulness, exercise, adequate sleep, good grub, etc.. But keep working towards your goal.

Congratulations on graduating and coming out, two very big life events.

Take care. :)

murria wrote: »
    There you go then you have a plan. I think that makes perfect sense and like you said it's important to have family and friends around when you aren't feeling completely stable. Nurture yourself now while you have time on your hands; Aware meetings, mindfulness, exercise, adequate sleep, good grub, etc.. But keep working towards your goal.

Congratulations on graduating and coming out, two very big life events.

Take care. :)

+1

Spoil yourself !

Live life & enjoy

Best Wishes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 letssee7

I'm feeling so good these days. Happy and confident, like the way I was at 8 years of age :)

things get better when you allow yourself be vulnerable and really put effort into overcoming insecurities

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Cheap Cola

Accept yourself. You are always "good enough".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Feeling pretty good recently, have been fairly productive to go with it :). I'm still having trouble sleeping however. Still, I'm a lot more optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Hello ladies and gentle-ladies. I've read here alot and decided to post now as I'm at a particularly low point mentally. Obviously the sweet sanctum of boards and the warm embrace of strangers with pseudonyms is my number 1 port of call when it comes to any form of therapy. How we all doing. :pac:

Firstly a few words about me.
    I'm Timmyctc and I have a northern accent.
    That was relatively painless, anyways. Hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Hello ladies and gentle-ladies. I've read here alot and decided to post now as I'm at a particularly low point mentally. Obviously the sweet sanctum of boards and the warm embrace of strangers with pseudonyms is my number 1 port of call when it comes to any form of therapy. How we all doing. :pac:

Firstly a few words about me.
    I'm Timmyctc and I have a northern accent.
    That was relatively painless, anyways. Hi.

Hi timmyctc. Welcome to the thread :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dowistrepla

Hey guys and gals.

I'm stuck in a bit of a rut at the minute so any advice would be appreciated. My depression is very closely intertwined with my self appearance issues. I won't go into much detail but while I do display BDD tendencies(mainly obsessing over appearance and idiosyncratic habits) I know that my thoughts do have a basis in reality(I know everyone says that but it is true for me, I could've been considered a reasonably good looking child but puberty wasn't kind).

Its scary how much this has affected my life. I was mainly keeping my head above water when I was living in college but now that I'm at home and without that social circle its harder to distract myself from the most extreme thoughts(that no matter what I do in life I'll never find the happiness I want and someone I really love because they won't be able to find me attractive). I had a bad experience too recently with a girl where there seemed to be genuine reason for hope, which meant when it didnt go anywhere its all the more crushing and it makes me feel naive for thinking otherwise. And while these thoughts mean I have this strange emotional imbalance below the surface, its even more frustrating that if this physical issue wasn't so prominent I have other things going for me(I'm quite smart and on my day I think I can be pretty funny), so I'm left wondering what might have been if my physical flaws hadn't become so exacerbated as I got older. Its really frustrating and unsettling because sometimes in favourable light or whatever I see myself in the mirror and its possible to focus on the positives and feel confident, but most of the time I'm swimming against the tide and feel like I'm only deluding myself out of necessity the times that I feel positive.

Sorry for the long tirade, I'm just wondering if anyone knows any therapist who does CBT and deals with BDD or you think would be well versed with these kind of issues. I did go a few times to a private counsellor a year ago which was cathartic in a way to be able to talk to someone but I kinda felt that with the really complex nuances and intricacies of my particular issue he couldn't really give me more personalised advice.

To be honest I don't know exactly what I would achieve with therapy or what I'm looking for given that I can't drastically change my appearance, maybe just that I can reach something approaching my potential in other areas of life so I would have more going for me, and to control these manic emotional episodes I seem to be getting recently. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it, I do kinda feel at times like an outsider compared to some of the people here in that my depression is nearly wholly circumstantial so in theory the cure is more straightforward, but feeling **** isn't fun full stop I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I genuinely feel a little emotional reading your post, I suffer from BDD symptoms too. For what it's worth, I feel I was a fine looking child too but things did not go right after puberty and I am left with the pieces.

I just wanted to say welcome, and it is comforting to hear someone speak about something so close to my experience. Others might have better things to say, I might later but I just want to say I empathise with you completely! Your words are what I would have wrote if I could express it. Word for word, every word you wrote, I think too.

Hope you find peace some day because it is traumatic.

EDIT: I can't really explain what I'm feeling reading your post. It is theoretically curable, it's just I like you have not been able to stop because what they say is a 'core belief' is difficult to change and can only be changed through action (consistent action over an extended time period) (CBT). I hope you find a good psychologist. If you do I want you to update here please!

I genuinely feel a little emotional reading your post, I suffer from BDD symptoms too. For what it's worth, I feel I was a fine looking child too but things did not go right after puberty and I am left with the pieces.

I just wanted to say welcome, and it is comforting to hear someone speak about something so close to my experience. Others might have better things to say, I might later but I just want to say I empathise with you completely! Your words are what I would have wrote if I could express it. Word for word, every word you wrote, I think too.

Hope you find peace some day because it is traumatic.

EDIT: I can't really explain what I'm feeling reading your post. It is theoretically curable, it's just I like you have not been able to stop because what they say is a 'core belief' is difficult to change and can only be changed through action (consistent action over an extended time period) (CBT). I hope you find a good psychologist. If you do I want you to update here please!

Cheers man, it is reassuring to know I'm not totally alone in what's going on in my head. I really hope you are able to get in a better place of mind too.

I feel quite crass on the few occasions I've had to express my feelings to others, as when I am feeling more confident there's almost a dismissing of the negative images and thoughts in my head, probably as much as anything to function as social animal and wanting to be normal, and at times I do believe that

One of the most unnerving things for me is how this self image it can lead to question and doubt everything about me and how people view me. I know personal self worth is more important than what others think of you but it can be so hard at times to distinguish what thoughts are irrational and rational that I don't know where I'm really at.

On the other hand though, when all this isnt weighing on my mind(or when a few beers have dulled my self awareness) I'm actually quite an easygoing person. If there's one thing for my depression, it does make some of the everyday challenges everyone goes through seem more trivial. :p Anyway I've said plenty for the moment, I'll let someone else have their day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Well, I have to say that when I read Dowistrepla’s post, I wondered for a moment if it was Call Me Jimmy under an alias. I really hope that doesn’t offend either of you, but the similarities in the stories, your age, experiences and the face that you both are extremely intelligent men, just caught me off guard for a moment.

I can’t really offer you anything here, because I imagine that you are now both experts on your own illness. If it were me, I know that I would have read every personal experience, visited every web-site, read every scholarly article, joined all the self-help forums and completely overwhelmed myself with information, because that’s how I am so I just believe everyone else is the same.

I just wonder how far you have both gone with diagnoses and treatment. Have you tried everything/anything that other sufferers have had success with? I just had a little Google there and came upon the OCD Ireland website, are they any good? Would they be a good starting point in looking for a therapist? Have you been to their monthly support meetings or if not would you like to?

Dowistrepla, as Call Me Jimmy says, it is theoretically curable so you have to remain positive that you will conquer it. I know all of us here are really happy to see the progress that Call Me Jimmy is currently making and I hope you will be encouraged by him.

So I've recently had to unfortunately split with the only person I've ever discussed my depression with and it really sucks. Not that I discussed it that much tbh but it was unbelieveably comforting to know that someone knew about what was going on in my effed up head :P. Anyways. I was suggested to get help for it and I ignored it and it led to the faltering of my relationship with this person. I reallllllllllly regret not getting help now.

Very recenty I've been feeling more and more overcome by everything, especially when I'm in bed and when I'm walking somewhere for some reason. I regularly find myself walking somewhere then suddenly I'm super depressed. I feel overcome with an inexplicable darkness and everything is 1000% more difficult, every step is a challenge and I cant concentrate on a single thing. I'm a littttllllee drunk so this is obviously harder to explain :P but yeah. That's where I'm at, sorta :pac:

Timmyctc wrote: »
    So I've recently had to unfortunately split with the only person I've ever discussed my depression with and it really sucks. Not that I discussed it that much tbh but it was unbelieveably comforting to know that someone knew about what was going on in my effed up head :P. Anyways. I was suggested to get help for it and I ignored it and it led to the faltering of my relationship with this person. I reallllllllllly regret not getting help now.

Very recenty I've been feeling more and more overcome by everything, especially when I'm in bed and when I'm walking somewhere for some reason. I regularly find myself walking somewhere then suddenly I'm super depressed. I feel overcome with an inexplicable darkness and everything is 1000% more difficult, every step is a challenge and I cant concentrate on a single thing. I'm a littttllllee drunk so this is obviously harder to explain :P but yeah. That's where I'm at, sorta :pac:

Well done on posting here. You are very welcome to this wonderful thread.

Ok, I think you have made the first small steps towards getting yourself on the road to recovery.

What have you done in terms of seeking advice from your GP. This is the starting point on the road to recovery.

I suggest you start living in the NOW! The past is the past, no matter how good or bad it is the past, let it go.

You need to meet with your GP and describe all the symptom you are having and the possible causes.

You need to be gentle and kind to yourself. No beating yourself up, no blaming yourself, please concentrate on the goal , which is to get your emotional health back again.

We are all soldiers here on this thread, our common enemy is Depression!

Feel free to post as often as you wish, we look forward to hearing of your progress.

Kindest Wishes,

Del:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Thought I'd throw up a post in here.

I was diagnosed with depression at the tender age of sixteen.

It was hugely exacerbated by some pretty fcuking terrible things that happened to me when I was 17-19. Got help, nothing worked.

Eventually, at the age of 22, I got a new therapist, tried some new medication under psychiatric supervision and things got better. Last august, I came off all medication and was signed off all forms of treatment.

Unfortunately, three people who were extremely close to me have died since february this year. As a result, along with a plethora of other things, the depression is back, and according to the doctor, worse than ever.

I'm not going to go into a long description of how it feels, because I'm on a touch screen, but it's hell. Some days I wake up wishing I hadn't.

However, I've started off the treatment process again. I've seen my doctor, been referred to a psychiatrist and have been put back on anti depressants by the psychiatrist. They're currently not working, I've been on them for six weeks. However, the dose has been increased.

One thing I still have, which is surprising to me because usually if I'm depressed I don't have it, is hope.

I beat this before. I'll do it again. I've been through the worst life can throw at me, and I'm going to do what I did before - fight it until I kick its ass. I don't know, it may not work, but I'm going to do my damndest to make sure it does.

• Advertisement

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Thought I'd throw up a post in here.

I was diagnosed with depression at the tender age of sixteen.

It was hugely exacerbated by some pretty fcuking terrible things that happened to me when I was 17-19. Got help, nothing worked.

Eventually, at the age of 22, I got a new therapist, tried some new medication under psychiatric supervision and things got better. Last august, I came off all medication and was signed off all forms of treatment.

Unfortunately, three people who were extremely close to me have died since february this year. As a result, along with a plethora of other things, the depression is back, and according to the doctor, worse than ever.

I'm not going to go into a long description of how it feels, because I'm on a touch screen, but it's hell. Some days I wake up wishing I hadn't.

However, I've started off the treatment process again. I've seen my doctor, been referred to a psychiatrist and have been put back on anti depressants by the psychiatrist. They're currently not working, I've been on them for six weeks. However, the dose has been increased.

One thing I still have, which is surprising to me because usually if I'm depressed I don't have it, is hope.

I beat this before. I'll do it again. I've been through the worst life can throw at me, and I'm going to do what I did before - fight it until I kick its ass. I don't know, it may not work, but I'm going to do my damndest to make sure it does.

Well done soldier! Keep on fighting this war on Depression. We are in the frontline with you.

I am hopeful we can beat it.

Kindest Regards,

Del

murria wrote: »
    Well, I have to say that when I read Dowistrepla’s post, I wondered for a moment if it was Call Me Jimmy under an alias. I really hope that doesn’t offend either of you, but the similarities in the stories, your age, experiences and the face that you both are extremely intelligent men, just caught me off guard for a moment.

I can’t really offer you anything here, because I imagine that you are now both experts on your own illness. If it were me, I know that I would have read every personal experience, visited every web-site, read every scholarly article, joined all the self-help forums and completely overwhelmed myself with information, because that’s how I am so I just believe everyone else is the same.

I just wonder how far you have both gone with diagnoses and treatment. Have you tried everything/anything that other sufferers have had success with? I just had a little Google there and came upon the OCD Ireland website, are they any good? Would they be a good starting point in looking for a therapist? Have you been to their monthly support meetings or if not would you like to?

Dowistrepla, as Call Me Jimmy says, it is theoretically curable so you have to remain positive that you will conquer it. I know all of us here are really happy to see the progress that Call Me Jimmy is currently making and I hope you will be encouraged by him.

No offence taken. Thanks for your kind words and advice, it means a lot. I guess I should take the plunge and research a good CBT therapist at this stage. I know there is supposed to be a monthly meeting for BDD sufferers in St James's but I'm not sure if it would help. I guess it depends on how you perceive BDD and how they treat it. My physical flaws are very real and very rare even objectively speaking, so if it were a case of being told my thoughts had no basis in reality then that would be a complete waste of time. If however it came from a point of acknowledging my (severe to me) imperfections and somehow working to overcome the barriers these create for me in my interactions with other people and in my own happiness(I'm not quite sure how yet) then it could be really beneficial. I guess there's nothing to lose by giving it a try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ManicDiablo

Hi everyone, I've been reading this thread for a good while now but this is the first time that I've posted here. I think it's a fantastic thread and helps to somewhat lessen the taboo of talking about depression, which I think is very important.

I've been suffering with depression since I was in my mid-teens but it was only about a week ago that I finally picked up the courage to go to a doctor about it. I've never even spoken about it with anyone at all in real life so I was incredibly nervous about going. However, once I started talking, it became so much easier. I still haven't told anyone else though. Anyway, I'm going to be sent for an assessment (not just for depression but also for Social Anxiety Disorder and Asperger's Syndrome).

One thing I would like to ask is which do you think is a better way at combating depression: medication or counseling? I know that it probably depends on the individual person but generally speaking which would you say?. My anxiety would make it very difficult for me to open up my mind to a counselor so I was thinking of just asking for medication.

Also, I'm not sure if this is ok but I posted a thread a few days ago and didn't get any replies. I'm just wondering if it's alright that I leave a link here and maybe someone that's reading this can give me some help. It would be hugely appreciated.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057056065

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

To be perfectly honest we can't give medical advice. So what I'll say (which I encourage you to take with a pinch of salt like you should anything medically related said to you by others) is that your treatment plan should be tailored to best suit your health needs, not your personal expectations. The first steps are always hard but medication - as does eating cabbage for the first time - carries associated risks. The drugs are amazing and have saved many people from the utter depths of depression but they may not even be necessary for you. So please don't try to pressure your healthcare providers into giving medications because you might not need them. On the other hand, you may need them but that's for you and your care providers to discuss. The important thing is that you keep an open mind and don't go thinking treatment ought to be one way or the other.

Congratulations on taking the first steps, they're always the hardest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Just a quick one, not gonna go into my "story" but to cut a long story short I'm my second bout of a higher grade of depression, in between the 2 bouts was just a bit milder (or maybe I hid it better)
    Looking for advice or has anyone experienced what I'm going through.
    The 1st time nearly everyone was very supportive, I spoke openly about it and found it easy to have a "laugh" about it which I really think helped.
    This time however, I'm struggling to talk about and I'm really struggling to get my finger out and deal with it properly.
    My friends and work colleagues who were so supportive last time just don't seem to be so helpful this time and I feel that without there help I'm really gonna struggle, I know that I shouldn't expect them to help but it's such a different attitude to what I experienced last time.

That's my rambling for the day, off to watch Frankenhooker on the horror channel

hairyslug wrote: »
    Just a quick one, not gonna go into my "story" but to cut a long story short I'm my second bout of a higher grade of depression, in between the 2 bouts was just a bit milder (or maybe I hid it better)
    Looking for advice or has anyone experienced what I'm going through.
    The 1st time nearly everyone was very supportive, I spoke openly about it and found it easy to have a "laugh" about it which I really think helped.
    This time however, I'm struggling to talk about and I'm really struggling to get my finger out and deal with it properly.
    My friends and work colleagues who were so supportive last time just don't seem to be so helpful this time and I feel that without there help I'm really gonna struggle, I know that I shouldn't expect them to help but it's such a different attitude to what I experienced last time.

That's my rambling for the day, off to watch Frankenhooker on the horror channel

I know how you feel, the general apathetic approach RE: actually coming out and dealing with it has plagued me for ages. I've actually ended up alienating people from my life because I never followed their advice to go and meet the problem head on. I'm starting to try and get help now though. Unfortunately a little too late to salvage some relationships, still though.

On a sidenote. I found this blog to be a great read and it really relaxed me about facing the whole thing. Its a good laugh too.
    link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Haven't posted here in a while because I've been generally well but I find myself in a bit of a rut right now. My problem with procrastination is back. I've recently started a part time course down the country and for the last two weeks or so I just can't get motivated. The course is in one of my favourite parts of the country and I had all sorts of plans to join things, to volunteer, to explore, to write and I've done absolutely none of them. I was exercising very regularly and even that has fallen away. I've had this problem before when things have changed in my life i.e. new beginnings. I'm just not very good at managing change. I'm not depressed about it (yet) but I'm not my normal fairly cheerful self either. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

This whole unable t sleep thing is really starting to get on my nerves :(. I am exhausted, have tried everything I can think of and nothing works. I had a really horrible bout of insomnia a few years ago that lasted over a year and I really can't go through that again. I have a doctor's appointment next week. I would do anything for a good sleep, feeling really low again because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

World mental health day today! Keep fighting everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

So after a few years of being on anti depressants and the diagnosis of depression from at least 5 doctors, my latest doctor has told me I am not clinically depressed. I've lowered my dose from 90 - 60mg, and I'm aiming to lower it again in a while.
    I need coping strategies and so my struggle to find the right therapist continues now that I have money. Wouldn't have thought this would be the hardest part. It seems a lot of them just want to make money from you.

Advertisement