Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

Gongoozler wrote: »
    So after a few years of being on anti depressants and the diagnosis of depression from at least 5 doctors, my latest doctor has told me I am not clinically depressed. I've lowered my dose from 90 - 60mg, and I'm aiming to lower it again in a while.
    I need coping strategies and so my struggle to find the right therapist continues now that I have money. Wouldn't have thought this would be the hardest part. It seems a lot of them just want to make money from you.

Where are you based OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Just feeling rotten today. Had a run-in with someone yesterday evening and I can't stop re-running it my head. I'm all over the place and can't concentrate in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

username_x wrote: »
    Where are you based OP?

Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

murria wrote: »
    Just feeling rotten today. Had a run-in with someone yesterday evening and I can't stop re-running it my head. I'm all over the place and can't concentrate in work.

Sorry to hear that Murria. I do the same thing, replaying it over in my head;what if I'd said this instead or didn't say that, it can wreck your head. I try to take a few minutes out then, re-run it in my head and then say, ok, into the box until later you go, I've x y z to do. Sounds crazy I know but sometimes it works for me and I can focus on what needs to get done.

Am not much help, but hopefully you'll get through the day ok and things will seem brighter and a little better soon.

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Murria. I do the same thing, replaying it over in my head;what if I'd said this instead or didn't say that, it can wreck your head. I try to take a few minutes out then, re-run it in my head and then say, ok, into the box until later you go, I've x y z to do. Sounds crazy I know but sometimes it works for me and I can focus on what needs to get done.

Am not much help, but hopefully you'll get through the day ok and things will seem brighter and a little better soon.

Thanks Mam of 4, it does help. I know I was just being oversensitive and i slept badly.I cant believe I'm still thinkin about it. I'm going to try to grab 5 minutes now and get myself together.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mam of 4, it does help. I know I was just being oversensitive and i slept badly.I cant believe I'm still thinkin about it. I'm going to try to grab 5 minutes now and get myself together.

That's it girl!! Think us women, in general , are inclined to overthink some things and stress ourselves out. Take some time for yourself tonight, try relax, have a warm bath,destress a bit. Just look after YOURSELF for a little bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Feeling quite low at the moment. Haven't had the energy to yoga my way out of it. Also going to be confined to my room for the foreseeable future. I don't know what to do with my hair, if I shave it completely I look pretty severe and everyone thinks I shouldn't shave my head (and i'm frankly scared of seeing the progress directly) but keepin it is driving me nuts and my skin has been better in the last couple of months but it never quite gets there. It's always a couple of days okay and then some nasty redness on it.

It all comes together to make me not want to bother with outside. I'm sure I'll get back to my inner engineering tomorrow or the next day but even reading the embarrassing sex stories thread or turn offs/ons thread reminds me of what I'm missing and again I want to just fast-forward to the end.

I'll be grand but it hurts.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/2165212

That says a lot of what I want to say.

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    That's it girl!! Think us women, in general , are inclined to overthink some things and stress ourselves out. Take some time for yourself tonight, try relax, have a warm bath,destress a bit. Just look after YOURSELF for a little bit :)

Well, was planning on following your excellent advice, however I ended up in A&E with my daughter (suspected appendicitis) from eight till four thirty this morning! Turned out to be severe kidney infection. We were in a cubicle next to a young woman who was telling the doctor she was so depressed she had been cutting her legs, he left her alone for a while and we could hear her quietly sobbing. Can't describe how hopeless we felt being so close to her and not able to go in to her. It put my own stuff into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

For such a lonely illness,we are never alone in our suffering. Far too many of us,in fact. That is so sad. It must be harder on young people,at least I had a great life before anxiety and depression hijacked it from me for years. I feel so much better today personally, in fact totally normal. I had a vitamin B12 shot a couple of days ago that has normalized me again. That is a new issue for me, I never used to get B12 deficient until recently. The cause of this has not been established yet, but could be due to having H Pylori. Be kind to yourselves this weekend. Hugs to everyone,c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

This tread is part of what keeps me alive.
    But for to think about better times as a child,some of us had no good childhood.

I am better today that I was before today.

Dodd, I think it touches everyone to a certain extent in some part of our lives. My OH had an awful childhood, but his adult life, in his opinion, has been very happy. He is a great husband and Dad, and proof that life doesn't have to be a cycle of neglect and unhappiness. We can be happy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I remember discussing depression with a friend one time and we agreed that because of it we are all alone but at least we're alone together :p made me feel loads better :pac: I've been feeling particularly low recently though. The usual suspects are troublesome as always (dragging self out of bed, making food, crossing things off a seemingly endless to-do list) Walking in particular has become so impossible though. Regularly becoming so unbelievably overwhelmed by absolutely nothing; I feel like I'm constantly seconds from just going foetal on the side of the road.

Spacing out a lot during the day too. have hit a few random highs during the day though and they were good :) Have a full chocolate cake to eat in bed now; leftover from my birthday :D Its the little things.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I remember discussing depression with a friend one time and we agreed that because of it we are all alone but at least we're alone together :p made me feel loads better :pac: I've been feeling particularly low recently though. The usual suspects are troublesome as always (dragging self out of bed, making food, crossing things off a seemingly endless to-do list) Walking in particular has become so impossible though. Regularly becoming so unbelievably overwhelmed by absolutely nothing; I feel like I'm constantly seconds from just going foetal on the side of the road.

Spacing out a lot during the day too. have hit a few random highs during the day though and they were good :) Have a full chocolate cake to eat in bed now; leftover from my birthday :D Its the little things.

Was it your birthday today? Happy birthday timmyctc. Giz a bit of cake. So what is your birthday present to yourself going to be? Just by reading your recent posts it sounds like you want to change things. Don't waste another year, really, you can change things maybe not tomorrow, or next week, but you can. Open up to someone, make life better. You deserve it. X

Was it your birthday today? Happy birthday timmyctc. Giz a bit of cake. So what is your birthday present to yourself going to be? Just by reading your recent posts it sounds like you want to change things. Don't waste another year, really, you can change things maybe not tomorrow, or next week, but you can. Open up to someone, make life better. You deserve it. X

Birthday was Sunday actually. It was awful :P I've been working a lot recently and so much so I forgot to book off my birthday :pac: have worked most days since. Yeah I'm pretty annoyed that I've wasted two years that are traditionally some of the best years of a young persons' life. I don't fancy continuing that trend :/

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Birthday was Sunday actually. It was awful :P I've been working a lot recently and so much so I forgot to book off my birthday :pac: have worked most days since. Yeah I'm pretty annoyed that I've wasted two years that are traditionally some of the best years of a young persons' life. I don't fancy continuing that trend :/

Don't worry about the best years of your life. They are always there, they'll be there when its your time. You're entitled to them, you just havent had yours yet. But they will come. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Any chance the title of this thread could be changed to something a bit more representative? IMO it's totally misleading and therefore exclusive.

No? Ok, carry on.

Kettleson wrote: »
    Any chance the title of this thread could be changed to something a bit more representative? IMO it's totally misleading and therefore exclusive.

No? Ok, carry on.

Well I don't think it was originally intended for the purpose its currently serving. The thread title is still relevant as thats what the OP posted about (sorta) and it is the most popular post on Boards too, we couldnt change the title of that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No? Ok, carry on.

Did you read the OP?

Did you read the OP?

Did you read Timmyctcs' post? The usefulness of the thread might be well missed by some/many.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

No? Ok, carry on.

I think the OP meant the title to highlight the misconceptions around depression and mental illness in this country. It's a provocative title but it stands out and may attract people to have a look. I like it fine and I'd be in favour of keeping it.

Yes I take your point, however from my own straw poll of 1 :), I was never enticed to read thread contents nor the opening post, as I was confused by the title. I was just putting the idea out there. Its a very powerful thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

A few years ago I stopped answering my phone and not picking up post and stopped answering the door.
    I just didn't want to know people.
    It has kicked me in the ass bad for doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dodd wrote: »
    A few years ago I stopped answering my phone and not picking up post and stopped answering the door.

Happens but there's nothing to say you can't contact those people again. Everybody understands that people go through a rough patch. You needn't even divulge the details if you're not comfortable. Also, this world is more connected than ever before; strangers are the friends you've yet to meet. :)

For any of you here with an interest in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Trcihotillomania(TTM) and Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)

https://sites.google.com/site/2920383/home/ocd-awareness-week

Dodd wrote: »

Might be time to kick back Dodd, it's not good to be isolated. There are lots of good suggestions in this thread for getting back on track. Are you consulting with your GP, or maybe attending Aware meetings, people have a lot of good to say about them. Could you try to reconnect with some of your friends from the past, they might not know how you are feeling. Why not just have a good outpouring to us on here, it really helps.

Take care of yourself Dodd things can get better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Been having a fine day mentally, but I have just felt a bit on edge all day. I was trying to think why it might be and suddenly remembered I had the most lucid, terrifying nightmare I can remember last night. For a long time I did almost no dreaming that I could remember, it was as if I hadn't dreamed for years I just went to sleep and woke up.

But last night I dreamed a nightmare and there were so many parts to it that I won't bore about. I woke up (or at least I thought I had woken up) and was just getting my bearings when it continued! that was absolutely terrifying, and it wasn't long before the relflection that I was still in a nightmare when I genuinely thought I had woken up put me into extreme fear, until finally I did wake up. This time I was doing all sorts of tests (inception style) to make sure I was really out of it. I was, but I hadn't felt such primal fear. I then remembered every single detail walking back through it, there was just so much content to it, all of it seemingly directed by stanley kubrick.

So I must have went back to sleep and when I woke up in the morning forgot about it, and have been on edge all day. At least I have identified why I felt weird today. I'm just going to take it as a sign that I'm returning to health, it feels like the last couple of weeks I have been puttin myself right and expelling a lot of the old negative energy.

I'm continuing my good practices and feeling more stable in general, just got an awful fright last night especially because I have never woken up thinking I was awake only to find a nightmare continuing. Scarrrry ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 letssee7

Mojo.is.back

Been having a fine day mentally, but I have just felt a bit on edge all day. I was trying to think why it might be and suddenly remembered I had the most lucid, terrifying nightmare I can remember last night. For a long time I did almost no dreaming that I could remember, it was as if I hadn't dreamed for years I just went to sleep and woke up.

But last night I dreamed a nightmare and there were so many parts to it that I won't bore about. I woke up (or at least I thought I had woken up) and was just getting my bearings when it continued! that was absolutely terrifying, and it wasn't long before the relflection that I was still in a nightmare when I genuinely thought I had woken up put me into extreme fear, until finally I did wake up. This time I was doing all sorts of tests (inception style) to make sure I was really out of it. I was, but I hadn't felt such primal fear. I then remembered every single detail walking back through it, there was just so much content to it, all of it seemingly directed by stanley kubrick.

So I must have went back to sleep and when I woke up in the morning forgot about it, and have been on edge all day. At least I have identified why I felt weird today. I'm just going to take it as a sign that I'm returning to health, it feels like the last couple of weeks I have been puttin myself right and expelling a lot of the old negative energy.

I'm continuing my good practices and feeling more stable in general, just got an awful fright last night especially because I have never woken up thinking I was awake only to find a nightmare continuing. Scarrrry ****.

Hi CMJ,
    Sounds very similar to what my son has being experiencing over the last few weeks also! Like you, he'd say he hadn't dreamt in years or couldn't remember dreaming, good or bad, at all. Then, last week he had a dream,nightmare, the only way he could explain it was it like he was dreaming within the dream itself, thought he woke up, but only woke up in the dream, If that makes sense? Whatever the dream was about he just said it was a weird experience, not a pleasant one.

He started back to education two weeks ago, after two year of being absent. He, and I think his dream was in some way a manifestation of his fears and anxiousness in returning to schooling.

Have no words of wisdom or anything for you, but continued progress to you in your well being :).

Sorry for the ramble there, but nice to know neither of you are alone in these experiences :)

• Advertisement

Very interesting! I have always been a very vivid dreamer and never wondered at the significance. That's a great analogy that you are getting rid of the negative energy, it makes a lot of sense. Do you remember ulinbac said he had really bad nightmares after he started TM? Sweet dreams tonight, or maybe not. :)

Advertisement