Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

lukesmom wrote: »
    Would people recommend psychology for anxiety/depression? I've come through a 3 month suicidal bout of depression. (I've been well for 2 1/2 months with few days of anxiety. They finally found the right med combination that brought me out of it. I went to a psychologist while I was very ill and can hardly remember any of the 6 session because I was so sick and frantic I'd never get better. My psychiatrist wants me to do more psychology and I requested a different psychologist as the other one I associate with being very ill. Got a letter today from new psychologist giving me an appointment for next week.
    What will I talk about though? I don't know how it will benefit me. I also have a fear that doing psychology will somehow make me sick again it's a fear of mine. Any thoughts?

Let's ignore for a second your illness is your depression/anxiety. Suppose you had another condition that emotionally impacted you. You had a debilitating form of pancreatitis. Learning to pro-actively manage your condition is probably the most important skill you can learn. The best people to teach you how to approach this are psychologists. They deal with how you perceive and relate things. For illnesses like depression coping mechanisms, learning to realise the signs early and act are vital skills to have. Psychologists will also try to teach you tricks so you can 'see' through the fog clearer and maybe avoid the fog altogether.

Seeing a psychologist is usually always a plus. Of course, we cannot tell you definitely go see one as that's medical advice and we don't even know you or your circumstances. What we can say though is that it's often best practice to follow the advice of those people who're treating you. They have plan on how treat you and it's generally a good idea to follow it. By all means voice every reservation you have about stuff.

Regarding reservations. Psychologists will be used to seeing people who have various difficulties or reservations about treatments. The majority of them will figure out how get patients to open up. So don't be afraid, nobody's going to judge you and you won't be expected to be an open book. :)

Maybe, print out your post, or write an even more expressive one and show it to them? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Thanks I guess it's just fear of fear I have. That if I talk about it I will go back there and this is a place I never want to go that low again. I don't think I would survive it. I will go next week and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Just bumping this thread as this time of year seems to worsen depression in many people.

The two highest rates of suicide occur in October/November and March/April with March/April being slightly worse.

The scientific papers I've read on this seem to indicate disruptions to circadian rhythms (sleep cycles) and light dark cues are really bad for depression.

So people need to take extra care of themselves around this time of year and if you are suffering alone, please please talk to someone about it.

I strongly recommend a lightbox available on the internet for about €55.
    It certainly helps counteract the lack of sunlight available to us in during the winter months.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Feel stupid for being anxious about going to psychology next wk. why can't I just go like a normal person and not think about it so much. Why am I so afraid the minute I leave the room I'll be back to square one. This cannot be rational at all. I'm beginning to wonder if my brain is missing a component of logic. I can't seem to tell myself I'm better so can stay better. Blah blah blah
    Please God my kids will have a normal brain and from my husbands side if I can't seem to stop worrying about being sick again I hate it all

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

lukesmom wrote: »
    Feel stupid for being anxious about going to psychology next wk. why can't I just go like a normal person and not think about it so much. Why am I so afraid the minute I leave the room I'll be back to square one. This cannot be rational at all. I'm beginning to wonder if my brain is missing a component of logic. I can't seem to tell myself I'm better so can stay better. Blah blah blah
    Please God my kids will have a normal brain and from my husbands side if I can't seem to stop worrying about being sick again I hate it all

Don't be so harsh on yourself! That is a perfectly rational response considering your previous reaction. I think a nasty symptom of depression is being overly self-critical. You are doing your best and that's all you can ask of yourself.

I strongly recommend a lightbox available on the internet for about €55.
    It certainly helps counteract the lack of sunlight available to us in during the winter months.:)

Definitely, there's lots of interesting research on sleep rhythms and depression. Being forced to wake up early (<5am) can temporarily alleviate the types of depression that makes you sleep and sleep, the same treatment can bring on a manic episode for people suffering with bipolar. The reasons for this aren't really fully understood.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Been fighting off a bit of anxiety this weekend. I'm using all the tricks I know and mostly its working but even then I start to worry about if the tricks will do the job. What a circular thing this is ... :)

Took the dog for a walk today and tried to tell myself that I've a life in the top 0.1% of the world and that this is just a little "sun-shower" inside.
    (When I wake up and I'm feeling anxious or depressed I think of it like when I look out the window and its drizzling rain... I still have to go on with my day and I might not be happy its raining but its not the end of the world and the sun will come out soon, mean time I have things to get on with and while the rain doesnt make it pleasant, I cant let it stop me either).

Anyway, meh, have to rev myself up for SSF and all that. Deep breath. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

DeVore wrote: »
    Been fighting off a bit of anxiety this weekend. I'm using all the tricks I know and mostly its working but even then I start to worry about if the tricks will do the job. What a circular thing this is ... :)

Took the dog for a walk today and tried to tell myself that I've a life in the top 0.1% of the world and that this is just a little "sun-shower" inside.
    (When I wake up and I'm feeling anxious or depressed I think of it like when I look out the window and its drizzling rain... I still have to go on with my day and I might not be happy its raining but its not the end of the world and the sun will come out soon, mean time I have things to get on with and while the rain doesnt make it pleasant, I cant let it stop me either).

Anyway, meh, have to rev myself up for SSF and all that. Deep breath. :)

This is going to sound really weird and sorry for any unsolicited advice in advance, I know that is not what your post was about.

But I used to suffer panic attacks, if that's what your anxiety culminates in then I have my own little 'trick' to avoid that happening. If not then carry on!

I read it on a forum, it has never been tested in a scientific context so I can't speak to effectiveness only in terms of anecdote, but I have recommended it to others who have found it effective too when they tried it.

Basically, there is a theory that a full blown panic attack is an atypical hypoglycemic episode, basically low blood sugar. It is atypical because you will have little to no other symptoms of low blood sugar, ie shaking, dizziness, hunger etc. Your blood sugar will even test in the normal range because it's more about the 'drop' than absolute value per say.

Add to this that the adrenalin released during a panic attack burns glucose too (the classic 'fight or flight' response). Now you could have some lucozade but this starts a sugar rollercoaster that is hard to get off. Also the sugar doesn't work fast enough for immediate relief, and when you're panicking, seconds count.

Enter glycerine, a substance in a little bottle in the baking section of the supermarket. It is metabolised like sugar but requires little to no insulin to get metabolised. You take a tablespoon in a glass of water with a little lemon juice to mask the taste. The taste isn't bad, just weird.

It works surprisingly fast. It may not work for everyone, and maybe it's just placebo, but I think it's worth a go considering it's harmless and as long as it's not intended to replace other longer term treatment options.

So I thought I'd share it here in case it might help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'd also like to add that the only times i've had full blown panic attacks I was extremely low on food/sugar and my body was under great stress (once hours of ridin', the other i was standing in freezing cold for a long time).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Panic attacks are a bastard, esp when you dont' have them at the time of something or before them but afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I just heard John Murrays return to the airwaves after 6 months off with "a bad back" and I for one of I'm sure many want to say a huge welcome back, and secondly and more importantly bravo for speaking up and speaking out in a way that so many people cant who dont have a voice. His words help so many people in ways that empty sideways sympathy and hushed voices wont.

He is lucky to have the support of employers that in reality, despite all the talk, very few really have. Maybe a few more of them should wake up and "bad backs" might become less common. Much kudos to RTE for standing by their man.

And I'll echo some of Johns words

"Dont be too hard on yourself, you havent failed lifes test, share your thoughts and feelings with others and dont suffer in silence.
    Can I say finally to anyone who knows someone who is depressed, dont be afraid to contact them, they mightn't reply immediately or at all but boy will they appreciate that someone is thinking of them.
    I know, I did"

John Murray, we salute you.

• Advertisement

wil wrote: »
    I just heard John Murrays return to the airwaves after 6 months off with "a bad back" and I for one of I'm sure many want to say a huge welcome back, and secondly and more importantly bravo for speaking up and speaking out in a way that so many people cant who dont have a voice. His words help so many people in ways that empty sideways sympathy and hushed voices wont.

He is lucky to have the support of employers that in reality, despite all the talk, very few really have. Maybe a few more of them should wake up and "bad backs" might become less common. Much kudos to RTE for standing by their man.

And I'll echo some of Johns words

"Dont be too hard on yourself, you havent failed lifes test, share your thoughts and feelings with others and dont suffer in silence.
    Can I say finally to anyone who knows someone who is depressed, dont be afraid to contact them, they mightn't reply immediately or at all but boy will they appreciate that someone is thinking of them.
    I know, I did"

John Murray, we salute you.

Well done John Murray, and welcome back to the airwaves. Well done to RTE for supporting this wonderful gentleman. Hopefully other Employers will sit up and take note. If someone is suffering from Depression, just because the employee is not wearing a plaster cast,does not mean they are not ill.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Somebody has youtubed his excerpt so I think it would be appropriate to put it here. John Murray
    (I wont embed in case of copyright issues)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Murray and Cusack have shown a bit of balls coming out and deserve a pat on the back for helping to highlight that there is mental health issues in the country

we shouldn't fear them instead we should help each an every person with support guidance and proper expert care.

a person i hold dear encouraged me and stood by me for a little while at the beginning as i reached out to get some qualified help

when your body is physically shaking in bed (scary thing for me and her)
    from the anxiety\fear of going to see help for that first time you know deep down with in your own thoughts that buddy you need to do this

the guidance of a trained pro can't be appreciated enough until you are in a set program with someone
    i did some prior research on my counselor before doing the 1st assessment talk, just so i could get a sense of what she did previous
    all most like i was easing my nerves into getting ready for the journey

it's over a year since the 1st steps and massive progress made
    i'm hitting the gym 3 times a week
    i try not work as much
    i don't take myself as serious anymore
    i laugh (laughter is such a brilliant thing)
    i go out and enjoy the small things
    lot's of park walks
    i keep email contact with my counselor and will be doing what i call a winter service in the next couple of weeks
    a tune up on my thoughts and feelings

i can't recommend talking to a professional highly enough
    trust me it's not an easy step to take but dam the benefits are massive

woodyg wrote: »
    Murray and Cusack have shown a bit of balls coming out and deserve a pat on the back for helping to highlight that there is mental health issues in the country

we shouldn't fear them instead we should help each an every person with support guidance and proper expert care.

a person i hold dear encouraged me and stood by me for a little while at the beginning as i reached out to get some qualified help

when your body is physically shaking in bed (scary thing for me and her)
    from the anxiety\fear of going to see help for that first time you know deep down with in your own thoughts that buddy you need to do this

the guidance of a trained pro can't be appreciated enough until you are in a set program with someone
    i did some prior research on my counselor before doing the 1st assessment talk, just so i could get a sense of what she did previous
    all most like i was easing my nerves into getting ready for the journey

it's over a year since the 1st steps and massive progress made
    i'm hitting the gym 3 times a week
    i try not work as much
    i don't take myself as serious anymore
    i laugh (laughter is such a brilliant thing)
    i go out and enjoy the small things
    lot's of park walks
    i keep email contact with my counselor and will be doing what i call a winter service in the next couple of weeks
    a tune up on my thoughts and feelings

i can't recommend talking to a professional highly enough
    trust me it's not an easy step to take but dam the benefits are massive

Great Post! Laughter and exercise are very important. Work less so! Take great care of yourself. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Just checking in, its been a while.

I have been doing okay, apart from yesterday and today. At the moment I feel like I'm going through some sort of crisis for no reason, it's horrible. I am so tired of feeling like this, right now I feel like running away. I'm fed up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Just checking in, its been a while.

I have been doing okay, apart from yesterday and today. At the moment I feel like I'm going through some sort of crisis for no reason, it's horrible. I am so tired of feeling like this, right now I feel like running away. I'm fed up :(

I don't know you at all, but I hope you feel better soon, for whatever that is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24818048
    Depression: 'Second biggest cause of disability' in world

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Family issues finally came to a shocking climax today, while I was in college my Mom threw me out of the family home, I am currently in a hotel in Ballymun wondering what to do next, things were beginning to look good for me on the college front,I am behind on some work but am getting some help, then it all went out the window again when my dickbag of a brother started trouble two nights ago.

I cut my arm after being so good for the past few months,I need to get away from my family before I hurt them and or myself, this could be a blessing really but I know in my heart I am not strong enough to handle setbacks like this and will probably implode again and try to hurt myself with tablets which so far has done nothing, I feel any help I get leads to nothing, I always end up in the same trap of self doubt and self loathing due to lack of confidence and non existent support from my family.

Being a 31 year old adult with mental health issues and asperger's syndrome sucks, I don't have any friends and am sick of all the bull**** I seem to attract everywhere I go,I would have killed myself by now except for a pathological fear of failure, the only thing worse than my life now would be to try what I know is my ultimate fate and wake up in a room finding myself still alive,I want out of this nightmare but just don't know how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Random word

I feel your pain Robbingbandit but hang on in there and keep posting a I feel a lot of affinity with what you are saying, you are not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

as a suffer of depression this xmas season is going to be tough. for the past 2 xmas seasons i was in a relationship so i was looking forward to buying her gifts, generally looking forward to xmas, i was going to xmas nights out and all that but as of 2013 xmas i am out of a relationship, on medication and have no xmas nights to look forward too.

Being single at xmas is like being caught between a rock and a hard place.

I am most likely will be stuck browsing boards and the net for new years eve instead of being out enjoying myself.

Sometimes i feel like ending it all but i think about how death could be such an erie place and how scary the darkness must be.

god i wish i could enjoy this xmas season please if there is a god he will guide me through this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭glass_onion

Christmas can be a tough time.It can be stressful!.There is nothing wrong with been single over christmas. The important people in your life now are friends and family,so try spend some time with them. Or perhaps take up something you always wanted to do but never had the time until now. Or treat yourself to something nice. The door here is always open.Keep in touch and post what you like. Take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

I have this feeling that I've done something or haven't done something important and it just won't let me go? I spose you could say it's the impending sense of doom associated with anxiety? I feel it in my chest and belly as I lie here writing this, kind of like there's a weight on me and I don't know why

Yea I get the odd day like that roseybear. Almost as if the void, vacuum or silence on its own is foreboding. From what I've read about anxiety it is in fact physiological even though ye'd think its a purely mental thing but I always found the 'feeling' came before the thoughts with it.

Breathing exercises or a jog is good to shake the body, for me that's usually all it needs - a bit of a rattle.

If you have access to a bouncy castle that would be optimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Yea I get the odd day like that roseybear. Almost as if the void, vacuum or silence on its own is foreboding. From what I've read about anxiety it is in fact physiological even though ye'd think its a purely mental thing but I always found the 'feeling' came before the thoughts with it.

Breathing exercises or a jog is good to shake the body, for me that's usually all it needs - a bit of a rattle.

If you have access to a bouncy castle that would be optimum.

As odd as that sounds a good shake would acto help.. I'm not gna go out running now but I will in the morn. Maybe some jumping jacks or something. It's such a strange feeling, like there's something coming, or that I've done something and it's "coming back to haunt me" for want of a different term. Nvr experienced it until the past couple of days, I was on nights so may be a bit tired but dnt feel it's due to that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I feel like I'm choking right now. I think I'm actually having a panic attack. I've had to get out of bed because my brain is tormenting me so badly. I'm really not sure how much more of this I can take. I'm not suicidal but I feel so ****. My friend told me last week that the only enemy I have is my head and I think he's actually right. I wish I could just turn it off for a few hours. Why am I awake and everyone else is able to sleep perfectly fine. Here I am thinking about ****e about myself that nobody else even cares about so why am I stressing out over it. Sorry if I worry people with this little rant. I know I'll feel fine after a few days.

I'm awake :)

I get that too, those times. You know the drill though, said it yourself. I know you'll be fine too but it creeps up sometimes. It's breaking ye, breaking me each time. But all the faith I have is going in to how I might just get to experience youth with the wisdom of old age. A rare and hopefully beautiful thing. Only terrible terrible pain can give someone that opportunity. That's how I'm looking at it.

Ye get tired of it. One day I'm baffled by the cruelty of it all, other days - more days of late - I step back and see peace because of it. It's forging things behind the scenes. But I know it's ****. It's **** and it's okay and it's **** and it's good. It's **** and it's okay.

Sit this one out, hope ye feel better soon rather than later man

I'm awake :)

I get that too, those times. You know the drill though, said it yourself. I know you'll be fine too but it creeps up sometimes. It's breaking ye, breaking me each time. But all the faith I have is going in to how I might just get to experience youth with the wisdom of old age. A rare and hopefully beautiful thing. Only terrible terrible pain can give someone that opportunity. That's how I'm looking at it.

Ye get tired of it. One day I'm baffled by the cruelty of it all, other days - more days of late - I step back and see peace because of it. It's forging things behind the scenes. But I know it's ****. It's **** and it's okay and it's **** and it's good. It's **** and it's okay.

Sit this one out, hope ye feel better soon rather than later man

I've always loved your posts btw :)
    Thank you. My dog has actually made me feel a lot better in the last few mins too. Although he needs a wash :D
    I just hope it's all over some day and I can move on.

I've always loved your posts btw :)
    Thank you. My dog has actually made me feel a lot better in the last few mins too. Although he needs a wash :D
    I just hope it's all over some day and I can move on.

Funnily enough, it's not very poetic but our newish pup has been ****ting all over the house and it brought a smile to my face. Went out the back to have a smoke, she comes out and I've never been so proud to see a dog taking a crap in all my life!

If you're feeling emotional, I just watched a film called Mud. Rarely watch films or tv but friend said it was good. I was crying watchin it! I don't cry! I mostly am a block of cement in the worst way possible but it sucked me in and made me cry. Sometimes it's good to indulge. Feel better for it and it was an absolutely great film. Might be an idea over the next day or two to watch it yourself... it takes a lot to hold my attention so that' the best recommendation I can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I feel like I'm choking right now. I think I'm actually having a panic attack. I've had to get out of bed because my brain is tormenting me so badly. I'm really not sure how much more of this I can take. I'm not suicidal but I feel so ****. My friend told me last week that the only enemy I have is my head and I think he's actually right. I wish I could just turn it off for a few hours. Why am I awake and everyone else is able to sleep perfectly fine. Here I am thinking about ****e about myself that nobody else even cares about so why am I stressing out over it. Sorry if I worry people with this little rant. I know I'll feel fine after a few days.

Are you OCD by any chance?
    Do you go to counselling?

Hope you feel better, PM me if you want a chat about anything, anything at all.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, it's not very poetic but our newish pup has been ****ting all over the house and it brought a smile to my face. Went out the back to have a smoke, she comes out and I've never been so proud to see a dog taking a crap in all my life!

If you're feeling emotional, I just watched a film called Mud. Rarely watch films or tv but friend said it was good. I was crying watchin it! I don't cry! I mostly am a block of cement in the worst way possible but it sucked me in and made me cry. Sometimes it's good to indulge. Feel better for it and it was an absolutely great film. Might be an idea over the next day or two to watch it yourself... it takes a lot to hold my attention so that' the best recommendation I can give.
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    Are you OCD by any chance?
    Do you go to counselling?

Hope you feel better, PM me if you want a chat about anything, anything at all.

I honestly feel a little better now! :)

Strange that you mention the OCD thing. I have no idea if I do or not but people have commented on that before to me.
    It's so hard to judge things about yourself I find.

Advertisement