Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Q_Ball wrote: »
    What time is the meet up at? I'll be spending most of tomorrow learning to jump out of a plane but I'd really like to turn up

3 pm!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Q_Ball wrote: »
    What time is the meet up at? I'll be spending most of tomorrow learning to jump out of a plane but I'd really like to turn up

What?!
    You can't leave it like that!
    When? Where? Why?

Skydiving = lifelong dream of mine, no exaggerating, so tell us more? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

I won't be there either, because I'm high as a kite still after ... technically "a period of elevated mood subsequent to medication non-compliance." Which is quite a judgemental diagnosis when you think about it.

Hope you all have a really wonderful time. Anyone who's too shy or busy or crazy (like me) to go can hang out here at 3pm and be sad and lonely together.
    (That's a joke, the sad/lonely bit )

(eh, low self esteem and paranoia talking here, but if I've said anything really offensive I apologise, pm me and i'll fix it. Thanks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

from Craig Harris and Drumpot will hopefully help many posters here. I believe that there are probably many causes of depression and that means that the individual cures will vary too. I was always considered to have a vibrant personality and had many friends, so when depression struck, I was convinced that it had a physical cause. After many years of trying different remedies, I began seeing a very switched on GP ,who had just completed a training course on the biochemical and nutritional causes of anxiety and depression. I was tested and foung to have 3 major causes, copper overload, pyroluria and undermethylation (high histamine). Being older it took many months of this nutrient approach to have an effect, anxiety dissipated as did suicidal ideation, but fatigue (my major complaint ) persisted. Recently, I had a stool analysis test that explained the rest, I have a very poorly performing digestive system and require 4 types of digestive enzymes/tonics as well as 2 types of probiotics and I am beginning to come back to life. I may benefit from some CBT later, as certain behaviors and coping strategies will(hopefully) no longer serve me and if they do not resolve by themselves, I may seek help in that area. Lets keep trying to find answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I've had a strange week. My sleeping pattern is weird and half the time I don't know what day I'm on. My mood hasn't been all that great either. I feel like sertraline has stopped working or at the very least I need my dose altered. I'm due back to my doctor this week for a follow up appointment (if I manage to get one - called on Wednesday and was told to ring back at 9am Monday morning!). I just feel more often down and anxious than I feel good at the moment. I've been getting very stressed over the littlest things and feel like a good week away from everyone and everything would be great. I just fancy being very antisocial but at the moment that's not possible and its driving me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Damn, sorry work has me completely obliterated at the moment. Any time I'm not working I'm sleeping basically. I missed the meet up much as I wanted to attend I'm in that kinda mindset where there is only work and sleep. I forget to EAT sometimes even!! (Which is bad!).

Sorry Murria, I so wanted to make that. :(

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm in that kinda mindset where there is only work and sleep.
    I know all too well, that's me at the moment. Went to an optician yesterday complaining of a twitch in my left eye. Turns out I'm stressed.

I've been focussing too much on work recently to take my mind off other things and I can only assume that it's taking its toll on me now. So this weekend I've had two lazy days. I'd usually complain if I do nothing at the weekend but I won't let myself this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

is usually either a magnesium or vit B deficiency, I used to get this frequently.

Reiketsu wrote: »
    I've had a strange week. My sleeping pattern is weird and half the time I don't know what day I'm on. My mood hasn't been all that great either. I feel like sertraline has stopped working or at the very least I need my dose altered. I'm due back to my doctor this week for a follow up appointment (if I manage to get one - called on Wednesday and was told to ring back at 9am Monday morning!). I just feel more often down and anxious than I feel good at the moment. I've been getting very stressed over the littlest things and feel like a good week away from everyone and everything would be great. I just fancy being very antisocial but at the moment that's not possible and its driving me mad.

Please, you need to be very kind to yourself. One can be antisocial if that is what your body and mind need .
    Impress upon your GP's secretary that it is of utmost importance that you meet your GP asap. Put yourself first! Perhaps a week away from everyone is exactly what you need. If your budget will allow you why not treat yourself to a few days away? A change of scenery is extremely beneficial:)

DeVore wrote: »
    Damn, sorry work has me completely obliterated at the moment. Any time I'm not working I'm sleeping basically. I missed the meet up much as I wanted to attend I'm in that kinda mindset where there is only work and sleep. I forget to EAT sometimes even!! (Which is bad!).

Sorry Murria, I so wanted to make that. :(

Devore,

Please, it is very important that you eat and take good care of yourself.

Regards:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Hi guys, just checking in. Been having a rough ould time of it lately and hadn't fully recovered from brothers wedding so I was sad to have missed the meetup. Hope it went well and hope to see you's in the future!

Karsini wrote: »
    I know all too well, that's me at the moment. Went to an optician yesterday complaining of a twitch in my left eye. Turns out I'm stressed.

I've been focussing too much on work recently to take my mind off other things and I can only assume that it's taking its toll on me now. So this weekend I've had two lazy days. I'd usually complain if I do nothing at the weekend but I won't let myself this time.

Well done! Delighted to read you have allowed yourself two lazy days. Now that is what I call taking great care of yourself:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I haven't posted on / read this thread in quite a while. I need to rectify that..very interesting posts Greg and Drumpot - thanks for that. If there is a meetup at some point in the future I would try to make it, never been to any events relating to Boards but I think this thread is so important and seems to make such a difference to so many people that I'd try to come along to something.

My anxiety is at bay, for now, no small achievement for me as there are big changes and a lot of extra pressure coming down the line at work which would normally bring the fear on in a big way. Just as long as I don't make myself anxious about my lack of anxiety :rolleyes:

Hope everyone is doing ok and not letting the silly season get on top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Cliona99 wrote: »
    What?!
    You can't leave it like that!
    When? Where? Why?

Skydiving = lifelong dream of mine, no exaggerating, so tell us more? :)

http://www.skydive.ie/

I did a tandem at the end of September and it was the most thrilling, exciting and down-right terrifying thing I've ever done. Nothing helps you redefine your meaning of what's mad than jumping out of a plane at 13,000 feet :D

I did it for charity but the big thing for me about it was that, before I started the medication, one of the symptoms I had alongside depression (or because of) was this innate sense of boredom about my life and everything in it. Dev used the word "inertia" in the first post on this thread and I couldn't have thought of a better term. So not only was I down in a complete rut and feeling worthless and useless, the boredom made me feel like I had nothing to live for and that there was no point going on. The enjoyment had been sucked out of everything. I was feeling this despite knowing at an intellectual level that I had everything to live for but it was tough to convince myself of that. It required belief. Belief in myself, belief that I was actually worth something to others. But when you're down, you're down and it's hard to raise your head never mind to look up. I imagine this is a common feeling that many of us who have depression have felt at some point or other.

The skydive was an attempt to push the boundaries of my comfort zone. It's good when you're on the up and starting to feel like yourself again. Those times are special and it's important to cherish them, to enjoy the relationships we have with others and to take pleasure in the little things. Over the last few months I've been mostly up and I knew I could enjoy it for what it was - bat-sh*t crazy :) I had been feeling down for far too long and I'm determined to take advantage of the times when I am feeling on the up.

So go for it. Definitely. We ride a wave of ups and downs that change like the tide, nothing can help prolong feeling good than doing what makes you happy. I don't have a "motto" or "mantra", but I'm definitely of the opinion that you have to put yourself first.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

You're all in so much trouble! No one showed up at all yesterday, but I kind of expected that. I waited for 45 mins and then I headed off for a spot of retail therapy, well I think the barman thought I was on the game so I reckoned I should get out of there.

Ah well, no harm done, knocked a few Christmas presents off the list. I'm a bit worse for wear today as I was at a party last night and overdid the booze, (serves me right I know).

Hope everyone is doing alright, it can be a rough time of year in lots of ways.

Take care of yourselves.

Murria no mates :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Huayra

I just saw that there was going to be a meetup on saturday when I was here briefly on friday. I was contemplating going but not sure why I didn't go in the end. Hopefully will be feeling more brave next time. Not sure what it is. I hate that I dwell on everything non stop and am always anxious.
    I've gone to a few meetup groups(general meetups in bars around dublin). There are probably plenty of people here who have gone to meetups. Mostly foreign people go. I can see how it would help if I was in a foreign country alone, and was forced to interact with complete strangers and start from scratch.
    Problem with the ones I go to is that I find them too "general". It feels like I might as well go into a random pub and go up to anyone. Always feel awkward and like a "father stone". I go to these meetups as a friend/s going to them anyway. Am fine talking to them, but I feel my interactions with other people are mundane and lackluster. Get so disappointed with my lack of general skills with meeting complete strangers.
    I had a discussion about this with a friend yesterday who completely agrees. I've decided I'm going to just go to hobby/specific discussion/activity related meetups from now on. The way I am now, I cant see anything meaningful happening at the regular meetups.
    Think I will be happy with the meetup organised on this thread, as it is already so successful from an online perspective. Just have to face the anxiety head on and show up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

This is doing the rounds at the moment, quite a simple way of explaining depression and the Black Dog....
    http://www.upworthy.com/what-is-depression-let-this-animation-with-a-dog-shed-light-on-it

Also, only just spotted about the meet-up now, sorry Murria! But it's a great idea, would love to try and make one in the future. Hope everyone's doing as ok as possible.

I'm counting down the days to Christmas, just so I can be at home, away from work, away from having to put on my good mood face, and, most importantly for me, to be close to the sea. I dunno what it is about Sligo, but growing up there surrounded by sea and mountains seems to have left some inbuilt mental re-set button.....whenever I get back there and get beside the crashing waves, it's like I feel a tonne weight has lifted, both physically and emotionally, if only for a little while...

Anyhoo, time to get up and put on the work face...have a good one folks,xx

I'm just coming down from another panic attack. :(

I woke up this morning and didn't feel very comfortable, I knew something wasn't right. Up until about a half hour ago I had chest pains, sweaty palms and upset stomach. It feels frightening.

I arranged an appointment with my GP this evening, I really need to get to the bottom of this. The last two panic attacks I've had have been really hard on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Chrisita wrote: »
    from Craig Harris and Drumpot will hopefully help many posters here. I believe that there are probably many causes of depression and that means that the individual cures will vary too. I was always considered to have a vibrant personality and had many friends, so when depression struck, I was convinced that it had a physical cause. After many years of trying different remedies, I began seeing a very switched on GP ,who had just completed a training course on the biochemical and nutritional causes of anxiety and depression. I was tested and foung to have 3 major causes, copper overload, pyroluria and undermethylation (high histamine). Being older it took many months of this nutrient approach to have an effect, anxiety dissipated as did suicidal ideation, but fatigue (my major complaint ) persisted. Recently, I had a stool analysis test that explained the rest, I have a very poorly performing digestive system and require 4 types of digestive enzymes/tonics as well as 2 types of probiotics and I am beginning to come back to life. I may benefit from some CBT later, as certain behaviors and coping strategies will(hopefully) no longer serve me and if they do not resolve by themselves, I may seek help in that area. Lets keep trying to find answers.

I agree completely. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. I can only speak of what has worked for me. I don't try to suggest that CBT is the answer for everybody, its been a huge part of the solution for me but its not been the only thing.

Incidentally, I don't think there's one person I know who couldn't benefit from a bit of CBT, depressed or not, as its simply about living in the now. How many people plough through life living for the holiday or break they get during the year ? Life shouldn't be just about the fleeting moments of joy during a year.

I am extremely interested in psychology. Think of the top 10 regrets of people on their deathbed , they are always things that they could've done while fit/healthy but didn't because they were focused on other things that only on their deathbed do they realise they should of allocated more time. I would hazard a guess that few people who are on their deathbeds have no regrets that they really could of done. For me, CBT has been about living in the now, not waiting for other external circumstances (wife - money, children etc) to pick me up. I believe this to be a relevant form of therapy that pretty much most people would benefit from.

Anyway, have been suffering a lot of anxiety of late and my have been having poor nights sleep. I am trying to get back to basics, practise what I preach!! Doing a bit of work this morning, but going to allocate a couple of hours to some therapy and exercise to try and get me back on a more even keel.

I have been dreading many simple things, phone calling, even a loud noise jolts my bones. BUT, I am trying to be aware of it more. Instead of thinking "oh god I feel this again, I hate this" . . I am trying to think "ok, why do I think I feel like this". "is there anything I can do to try to alleviate some of this fear/anxiety"?

I used to just accept that I was a victim to my own feelings, but now at least I am trying to be more proactive. For me, that's where CBT kicks in and where I am trying to unlearn the bad habits that have kept me locked in depression/fear.

Hey Folks,

It is a powerful day out there today.

I have just come back from my run with doggy on the beach.

The sun is shining and the temp gauge is showing 15C on my car !

Take some time for yourself today, a run around the block or a leisurely stroll through the park.

Be alive, be happy:D

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

itac wrote: »
    This is doing the rounds at the moment, quite a simple way of explaining depression and the Black Dog....
    http://www.upworthy.com/what-is-depression-let-this-animation-with-a-dog-shed-light-on-it

Also, only just spotted about the meet-up now, sorry Murria! But it's a great idea, would love to try and make one in the future. Hope everyone's doing as ok as possible.

I'm counting down the days to Christmas, just so I can be at home, away from work, away from having to put on my good mood face, and, most importantly for me, to be close to the sea. I dunno what it is about Sligo, but growing up there surrounded by sea and mountains seems to have left some inbuilt mental re-set button.....whenever I get back there and get beside the crashing waves, it's like I feel a tonne weight has lifted, both physically and emotionally, if only for a little while...

Anyhoo, time to get up and put on the work face...have a good one folks,xx
    That video says everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Anyone else ever feel like the grand old duke of York?
    Everytime I seem to get things sorted and things are getting back to normal,
    then life throws a curve ball, and soon after I am down again.
    Have been reassured by the dr that increasing meds at this time of year is 'normal'
    Bah Humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Morag wrote: »
    Anyone else ever feel like the grand old duke of York?
    Everytime I seem to get things sorted and things are getting back to normal,
    then life throws a curve ball, and soon after I am down again.
    Have been reassured by the dr that increasing meds at this time of year is 'normal'
    Bah Humbug

After my earlier post I went to the gym, half an hour workout (listening to a mindfulness app while doing exercise), then into the steam room to try and clear my mind. Deep breaths and just trying to take in some of the advice from the mindful app.

Interestingly, your comment on the Dr is relevant to what I was listening. Specifically the idea that many people (myself included) get into our heads that certain things SHOULD represent joy - Christmas, birthdays, night out etc.

The example he used was very good. Imagine you are walking by a river on a beautiful day, birds chirping, fresh smell in the air and for some reason you are feeling down. You start thinking "Surely I should be feeling happier". You are associating your surroundings with how you think you should feel. Then you start trying to problem solve "what is wrong with me?" , "other people are smiling and enjoying this beautiful day/scenary, why cant I?" . Then it might turn to "god I am so useless, I cant even enjoy a beautiful day , I SHOULD be feeling better like everybody else, this SHOULD pick me up".

Its important because swap in if you have a job you like, have a partner you love, have a child, have everything in your life that you think you SHOULD have to make you happy. I understand this side of things. When I feel down, I default to the thinking "How do I feel right now?" and then compare it with "How do I think I should feel" and based how I think I should feel on my surroundings - Wife - Check , Children - Check , Job - Check , Physically Healthy - check . This should equate to a happy me right ? Well it doesn't, whenever I can "check" something off my list of "things to make me happy" list, I find something else to be upset about including getting more upset/anxious about the fact that I am feeling down!. So it stands to reason that I am just not happy in myself, its not my surroundings, its my sense of inner peace that I have never learned to tune.

So, today . . I got back from the Gym, collected my son from school, had a bit of lunch and when I got to the office got some bad work news. This was upsetting news and I automatically think "how am I going to get in alternative business to compensate for this?". Then as I start to get more upset "oh god, I mightn't have enough business to pay all bills next month" etc etc.

I have tried to stop . . acknowledge that its disappointing news and that its ok for me to be a little sad. Then I say serenity prayer - "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference". I don't feel perfect, but I feel better. That's enough for now. I am not beating myself up and moving onto something I can change . .

Interestingly my back has been hurting me since I got this bad work news. Sort of ties in with the idea that pressure/stress can also have a physical side effect. .

This hasn't happened by reading a self help book or just doing these things automatically. I still default back to my old ways (beating myself up, feeling awful for ages), but I try to get back on track by getting into this habit (Physical Exercise, mindfulness exercise, certain sentences like serenity prayer that help me get back into the "now").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 singsong321

Hey, just looking for advice.

I took Lexapro for just under a year, and stopped taking it in October. I was prescribed it for anxiety disorders. However for the last month or so I have been feeling increasingly low. This is worrying as I'm scared of relapse. For around four months of the year I was doing psychotherapy, however I haven't gone in months as I have been doing so well. The problem is I am scared I will be roped into a few sessions, and financially this could be tricky. But I know i cannot afford to relapse. Advice would be appreciated :)

I took Lexapro for just under a year, and stopped taking it in October. I was prescribed it for anxiety disorders. However for the last month or so I have been feeling increasingly low. This is worrying as I'm scared of relapse. For around four months of the year I was doing psychotherapy, however I haven't gone in months as I have been doing so well. The problem is I am scared I will be roped into a few sessions, and financially this could be tricky. But I know i cannot afford to relapse. Advice would be appreciated :)

Did you just stop it suddenly or did you wean yourself off it gradually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 singsong321

I weaned myself off it by gradually reducing the dose over two months. They were good at the time, however I don't think they're the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Did you feel better on the Lexapro? It might be time to consider going on it again for a while just to get you over this hump. And keep in mind that medication isn't a cure all its only one of a number of things that we do to keep ourselves well. Psychotherapy can be expensive alright but there is low cost counselling available out there. Try a few google searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Nobody can tell you what you do and even if we do you need to take it with a pinch of salt. Talk to the doctors. If it helps, print out your post. I would say this though, anxiety is like any other illness. It can come back. Couple of sessions of psychotherapy and you might be fine. Or the lexapro and you might be fine. Judging by your post it sounded like the combination of both was what worked before, but only you know best.

Life is about quality of life at the end of the day. If medication works for you, it works, if counselling works for you, it works. All that matters is you find the thing that works and improves your over all well being. Try not to have reservations towards either. There are financial supports you can get. Health is number one priority.

Just my two cents,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Went to GP today and got Diagnosed officially. Was prescribed my first (Lets hope not of many) Anti-Depressant, Affex.
    Thats sorta good news I guess.

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Went to GP today and got Diagnosed officially. Was prescribed my first (Lets hope not of many) Anti-Depressant, Affex.
    Thats sorta good news I guess.

Yes this is good news. You have a diagnosis, and you are now taking the fisrst steps towards your recovery.

Be kind to yourself, learn to put yourself first and live in the Now

You are worth it!

Kindest Regards,

Derek

Advertisement