Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Im feeling so depressed lately i feel like commiting the unthinkalble.

Im graduating college on monday and im celebrating on my own.

I have no really best friends.

I really need a girlfriend but i dont even where to start looking. I dont even have a friends that are girls. I was thinking of joining a dating site but im on plenty of fish but nobody is intrested in me.

I cant find any sort of full time job (i have a job but its only part time and ive been there for 6 years)

I have a few things planned for 2014, 2 Ireland rugby matches,a few concerts and the premier league darts but still i feel like i have noting to look forward too eg nights out, friends etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Someone different from you

PTH2009 wrote: »

I really need a girlfriend but i dont even where to start looking. I dont even have a friends that are girls. I was thinking of joining a dating site but im on plenty of fish but nobody is intrested in me.

I cant find any sort of full time job (i have a job but its only part time and ive been there for 6 years)

I have a few things planned for 2014, 2 Ireland rugby matches,a few concerts and the premier league darts but still i feel like i have noting to look forward too eg nights out, friends etc

I'm really sorry to hear that. But first things first. Don't do "the unthinkable". You are feeling bad today. But remember that you don't always feel like this. Remember good times you've had in your life.

I know it might seem like a real cliche but there is a lot of power in thinking positive. It is really easy to think negatively, even to twist reality so that you can give yourself a stick to beat yourself with, but try and focus on the positive. I think you'll find there is plenty to be positive about.

Such as the fact you're graduating college in Monday! That's great - a real achievement. These things don't happen easily. And you'll be more marketable and it will be easier to get a job.

Keep strong. You'll get there. PM me if you want to talk privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Coming down from a mild manic episode brought on by drinking far too much booze over the holidays combined with the unbarable thought of visiting my asshole of a father. Ended up chickening out of the visit by saying I had a nasty cold when in reality I was terrified that I'd act on the manical homicidal thoughts being stirred up by my brain under duress.
    It wasn't worth it and so I've decided to ignore all attempts at hime contacting me for my own sake.
    Feeling very low and unmotivated and I've barely mustered up the drive to eat properly over the last few days.
    Some days I feel hopeless and the blues really set in but I'm trying my best. I still pull myself out of bed and get out of the house even if it's for just 10 minutes to breathe in the cold January air.
    On Monday I'm back in college and I'm dreading it. One of my tutors is a wagon and I don't like her at all but I have to endure her for two days out of each week. I can only hope to finish my course up quickly and ignore her snark.
    Don't feel much like commuting all the way into the arsecrack of Phibsburo on Monday but I know I have to do it to get out of this bad funk I'm in.
    Giving up drink for January at least as it interfers with my medications and makes me more prone to manic episodes. Urgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

On the verge of dropping out of my masters. Have about a month's worth of stuff to catch up on because I went through a really anxious spell and then found it hard to get back into the swing of things because of feeling suicidal and unwell on lexapro. Have plans on staying up all night on a caffeine binge if it gets the work done but all these stimulants just totally mess up the calming effects the AD is supposed to have. At least I'm feeling significantly less ****e than I did a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Can anyone recommend a professional in the Limerick region that they may have dealt with?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Back to the routine with the kids back in school, very hard not to go back to bed esp with the weather being so manky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

How do go from great humour to bad humour in 60 seconds on one pm.

Job interview tomorrow- promotion.

snausages wrote: »
    On the verge of dropping out of my masters. Have about a month's worth of stuff to catch up on because I went through a really anxious spell and then found it hard to get back into the swing of things because of feeling suicidal and unwell on lexapro. Have plans on staying up all night on a caffeine binge if it gets the work done but all these stimulants just totally mess up the calming effects the AD is supposed to have. At least I'm feeling significantly less ****e than I did a few weeks back.

talk to a college councillor they can help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

My daughter goes back to school today and I am dreading having to leave the house and see people. I really really really just want to be in my own house for some reason. The past few days have been pretty tough, I've become such a recluse.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Reiketsu I used to feel just like that in my early twenties and late teens. Try and find some way to break the home comfort barrier and one way I done that was by going hiking and camping on my own. Out in the fresh air you begin to feel the world move around you and slowly you begin to move with it. Eventually you may want to challenge yourself so why not go online and find a group that go on walks and join them one day to meet other people and see where you go. Reading this thread has made me think is their anything I can do to help others that are in a place I once occupied and be a guide through the rough seas of depression. For anyone suffering and need to talk SNAKEDOC is always willing to listen.

• Advertisement

That went well I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

http://thereispowerinspeakingout.blogspot.ie/
    A very powerful piece from a young, successful, Irish lad battling depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Reiketsu I used to feel just like that in my early twenties and late teens. Try and find some way to break the home comfort barrier and one way I done that was by going hiking and camping on my own. Out in the fresh air you begin to feel the world move around you and slowly you begin to move with it. Eventually you may want to challenge yourself so why not go online and find a group that go on walks and join them one day to meet other people and see where you go. Reading this thread has made me think is their anything I can do to help others that are in a place I once occupied and be a guide through the rough seas of depression. For anyone suffering and need to talk SNAKEDOC is always willing to listen.

Heartwarming post!

This is something I am looking to do now myself (the outdoors), I will PM you for advise on camping/hiking on one's own, I haven't done it before.

Thanks

After reading a few posts here I would like to see if there are a otters that are willing to take that leap and venture out I would be delighted to give my service as a walking guide and someone to talk to that has come out the far side of the depression battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 xjman

Heartwarming post!

This is something I am looking to do now myself (the outdoors), I will PM you for advise on camping/hiking on one's own, I haven't done it before.

Thanks

can you PM me on any info you gather up?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

It can be the weirdest things that kick it off. Yesterday morning I was standing in the kitchen getting ready for work and I just couldn't face making a sandwich for lunch. Just couldn't do it and couldn't stomach the thought of it.

Maybe my sandwiches are just mank :pac:

Ended up bringing soup for lunch and having it at my desk. Wasn't in the mood for company although company is probably what I need.

Trying to motivate myself to get on the motorbike and go to work. The urge to pull a sickie is quite high but I've never done that before, not going to start now. It doesn't help that work is so boring. I wish I was coding something more interesting, I imagine that might help.

Sorry that this turned in to a bit of a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm sure like a lot of programmers you potter around at time to time at home. Are there any ideas you could implement in your spare time that might at best earn you money in the future at worst give you a sense of achievement?

I mean doing a very small amount each day, I know how hard it is to work at the computer and come home and do more.

I can relate to that making the sandwich almost stopping you in your tracks. I find when I'm any way low, menial things like say the dishwasher can make me even contemplate suicide because I'm like 'why am I even lifting my arms, carrying these dishes over there, putting them in the press'.

Hope ye feel better soon, I had to leave the IT sector having studied for it in college because it was doing me no good in the long run. I felt the same as you, that possibly doing something more interesting in the area would work but having considered it for a long time, for me, that wasn't the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Something I saw posted on facebook...I'm glad to hear someone else voice the opinion that Donal Walsh's comments about suicide, while well-intentioned and all, were not as inspiring and welcomed by everyone. His situation was very different to that of people contemplating suicide. It still annoys me to hear people in the media and in everyday life say how inspirational his comments were etc. Absolutely no disrespect to him intended, his story was tragic, but I thought his comments were naive and simplified the issue, and it still sort of bothers me.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/01/07/staying-alive-2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Something I saw posted on facebook...I'm glad to hear someone else voice the opinion that Donal Walsh's comments about suicide, while well-intentioned and all, were not as inspiring and welcomed by everyone. His situation was very different to that of people contemplating suicide. It still annoys me to hear people in the media and in everyday life say how inspirational his comments were etc. Absolutely no disrespect to him intended, his story was tragic, but I thought his comments were naive and simplified the issue, and it still sort of bothers me.

I hated those comments from yer boy Walsh. To apply his ill founded logic to himself one could say "Have you tried having less terminal cancer?" I dont want to get into it more as it is wholly infuriating, but great piece here.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

agree. hope i don't get banned, but just because you have cancer doesn't mean your opinion is more important than others. people with suicidal ideation are fighting for their lives, and to suggest that they are making a choice to end their lives is to misunderstand the situation i think.

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I hated those comments from yer boy Walsh. To apply his ill founded logic to himself one could say "Have you tried having less terminal cancer?" I dont want to get into it more as it is wholly infuriating, but great piece here.

To be fair to Donal Walsh, it's understandable why he'd have that sort of logic; he was a young kid who wanted to live but couldn't do anything to prevent his death. It must have been frustrating for him to see others who didn't want to live ending their lives without properly understanding why they didn't want to live.

I was angry at the "hey depressed people, cop on and don't kill yourself" sentiment it seemed to imply but the media were more to blame for that than Donal himself was. And even if his logic was flawed, Donal's story did get more people talking about mental health issues, including people who would've been blissfully unaware of them before, so for that he deserves some recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

To be fair to Donal Walsh, it's understandable why he'd have that sort of logic; he was a young kid who wanted to live but couldn't do anything to prevent his death. It must have been frustrating for him to see others who didn't want to live ending their lives without properly understanding why they didn't want to live.

I was angry at the "hey depressed people, cop on and don't kill yourself" sentiment it seemed to imply but the media were more to blame for that than Donal himself was. And even if his logic was flawed, Donal's story did get more people talking about mental health issues, including people who would've been blissfully unaware of them before, so for that he deserves some recognition.

yeah, i suppose...he still makes me a bit angry though! haha need to get over it. it is the sort of perfect sentimental story that the media would grab onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's understandable why Donal can make people angry but it should go without saying he was young and his intentions were ultimately good ones. He didn't understand that people can have a complete absence of perspective in their life. Normally when bad things happen people find ways to rationalise it. "I lost the ability to walk most days but I now appreciate the days where I can walk just a little so much more. " "I appreciate my family and friends more", "The feeling of the wind seems more beautiful than it ever was" etc. Illness can humble us. Depression though is one of those rare ones where the sufferer isn't humbled. There is almost no perspective that allows them to be humbled. It's more generally a case of "Oh look at those people suffering and me whinging, I don't even deserve to be whinging!".

Like others, I don't have anything against Donal. It's unrealistic to expect an adolescent to understand this. (Although, some do.) I do hold strong grievances against the media who provided him with the soapbox. But then I generally don't think highly of the media anyway. :) At worst, it got people talking about mental health issues which I guess isn't terrible.

On a completely different angle can I ask whoever reads this thread what is your usual day like. Do you get up early have breakfast go to work or do you work from home or are you a stay at home person. What are your evenings like do you have activities to do and keep you busy. Do you get to bed at a reasonable time. Do you go places at the weekend visit family or even go to the shops and wander around.

I ask this because I have a bit of an idea that I hope might help some who suffer with depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Q_Ball wrote: »
    It can be the weirdest things that kick it off. Yesterday morning I was standing in the kitchen getting ready for work and I just couldn't face making a sandwich for lunch. Just couldn't do it and couldn't stomach the thought of it.

I got a shock from an unfinished socket. And I just sat on the floor and burst out in tears. And not because of the shock, but because it was a reminder of all the fecking work that needs to be done, and right at that point it just made everything feel overwhelming and pointless.
    If I had somewhere to run to, I'd have gone to just escape.

I was fine before the shock, doing what little I can in the house, and letting it take whatever time it takes.
    I had to leave the IT sector having studied for it in college because it was doing me no good in the long run. I felt the same as you, that possibly doing something more interesting in the area would work but having considered it for a long time, for me, that wasn't the answer.

I very nearly went into the IT sector, applied for the course in Uni, but on the month of it starting, ran away, and fast. I thought it might have been something I could enjoy. (spending a couple years prior doing 'hobby coding' projects. ) But I soon realised, all day in front of a computer, I'd have ripped my scalp off, never mind my hair. S:.
    It's amazing how one thing can seem interesting & enjoyable but forced into it long term just makes you miserable.
    On a completely different angle can I ask whoever reads this thread what is your usual day like. Do you get up early have breakfast go to work or do you work from home or are you a stay at home person. What are your evenings like do you have activities to do and keep you busy. Do you get to bed at a reasonable time. Do you go places at the weekend visit family or even go to the shops and wander around.

I ask this because I have a bit of an idea that I hope might help some who suffer with depression.

I work from home, at my on time, it's part-time work and emotionally draining(sometimes physically depending), I wanted to start there.

I don't always have breakfast, but I will eat about an hour or 2 after getting up. I will however eat breakfast if I feel abnormally tired or weak in any way.
    I dislike going out, and will often organise everything so that I do them all at the same time, if I have to go out, However between one & twice a week I'll go for a walk/cycle.
    I'm currently studying online(cousera.org if anyone wants free course modules, it's an excellent site!) Neuroscience atm, fascinating, and learning makes me feel better. I can re-focus my thoughts on something else.

I read alot(when not studying XD), and watch a little tv/gaming some evenings.

Often get to bed between 10pm & 12am, and I often get up between 10 & 11am.(normally awake earlier but it's a heck of a drag to get out of bed, specially in the cold.)
    My weekends don't differ much from my weekdays. And I only go around the shops when I need something.
    I visit the parents bout once a month. And I spend time chatting online to friends, they're all live abroad ):.

(however if you're going to suggest get out more, I'll add that my depression cycles, and has odd triggers, was no different when I was studying full time(outside of the house) or working part-time(outside of the house), in fact, spending more time inside has done alot to stabilise my depression,....going to be a shock the system when I go into uni in Sept S= ..)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Reiketsu wrote: »
    My daughter goes back to school today and I am dreading having to leave the house and see people. I really really really just want to be in my own house for some reason. The past few days have been pretty tough, I've become such a recluse.

I used to get like that, dreaded the school trips.
    I found wearing headphones helped, people wouldn't try to talk to me and I would focus on the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I think a lot of what your asking is about a daily routine. Most people get to a point where they can try to deal with their depression and know the importance of a routine, keeping to it is easier said than done though.

My own example: I've been doing a college course that runs two full days a week (but is a full time course.) I put a huge amount of effort into it and keeping on top of it but that was incredibly difficult. I found myself the day before I had to go in staying up all night just to ensure I made it in the next day. I knew if I tried to go to sleep there was a strong chance I couldn't sleep. If I did fall asleep I could be lying in bed four or five hours before thoughts stopped rolling around my head. After finally getting to sleep around 4am some days it would be impossible to get myself out of bed and I'd miss that day. Then I'd be up all that night and go into college wrecked the next day.

Over Christmas I was in my family's place. I was going to bed at a reasonable time and I was getting up at a reasonable time. I could not see how unhealthy my life was because I was so focused on making the most of my time in college. I was spending days and nights awake, crashing afterwards to catch up, being wrecked from a lack of routine and all while trying to manage the work. When I was sleeping normally over Christmas I felt so much better, and part of the reason I was sleeping normally was because I wasn't caught up in the worry of having to be in the morning and having to get work done.

The thing is this is my situation when I'm in a relatively good frame of mind. If I was suffering an acute episode that would have been a magnitude harder. If I was in a low frame of mind even making food and washing myself would be an incredible challenge. I'm slowly coming to the point where I realise I won't be a high flying executive because that is simply incompatible with my mental health. Stresses in life that other people deal with regularly can send me into a spiral of ever worsening health.

I would imagine most people with depression try and keep to a routine, get up in the morning and eat a breakfast, go for a walk, try and do something productive and visit friends or family a few times. The problem is that something small can interrupt that routine and keeping yourself in good health is a very delicate balance that takes a lot of effort, and sometimes that effort can strain you so much without realising it that you fall back into an episode. And the disappointment at failing at that brings another wave of problems, and on, and on.

Dealing with depression and a lot of mental health issues involves keeping to a routine, ensuring your taking medication if you're on it, ensuring you go to therapy, being hard enough on yourself that you keep fighting, but equally realising when you need to be tolerant of yourself and when you need help. I've been dealing with this for years and I'm still figuring things out, sometimes I think I'm out of the woods, other times it's obvious I'm not. For me it's about understanding yourself and hopefully having the understanding of others.

And I've said this before, I think there's a better understanding of mental health issues in general but one of the things that bothers me is the idea that depression happens to people with no issues in life. While that's certainly true and there are many people who have seemingly great lives and who suffer from depression there are also people who don't have great lives who suffer from depression. Ill mental health makes everything harder so for someone in a bad situation who also has mental health issues it's stacked up against them. Not only do they have to deal with their ill health, but their health makes things harder and their life circumstance makes things harder. I've often seen depression described as an illness of the affluent, and that's far from the truth. Anyone can suffer from mental health issues, rich or poor, young or old, male or female. It's indiscriminate and society needs to understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

PTH2009 wrote: »

Just found this thread and wondering how you are? Hope you are ok. Congrats on graduating college :) Would you consider volunteering part time until something full time comes up. I have met some fantastic people through my volunteering job.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

1moreyr wrote: »
    Just found this thread and wondering how you are? Hope you are ok. Congrats on graduating college :) Would you consider volunteering part time until something full time comes up. I have met some fantastic people through my volunteering job.

Im alrite was a bit disapointed that i didnt have a girlfriend for my graduation. I graduated with a higher cert so im thinking of going back and the doing the level 8 honners degree in september

My mother is gone in a for an operation so that has kind of taking away from my problems.

I volunteer at a kids club when i get time away from work. I hope to someday get an office or factory job, something safe and worthwhile

• Advertisement

I can see that as well as suffering depression your life is hectic Lyaiera. The cycling and walking is a good idea and it sounds like you know what you need to do which is a good positive step. In my depression I was in college but just could not face attending so I basically dropped out. I used to sit alone in my dingy flat and feel like crap. Nothing made me feel better at all. Getting a job finally in a bar in Dublin snapped me out of it for about a year and then in another job I fell right back into it and ended up quitting my job. I met someone as well and we ended up getting married, best thing ever. She helped me to where I am today.
    I know there are a lot of people suffering from all walks of life and there is no one way to help them all but for those that feel they have nothing to do or look forward to, I would like to offer my help. I know you said yea just try and stay active and get out more, but my idea is exactly that but in an environment most people don't venture to, the mountains. I camp and hike along with my wife and it's amazing what feelings will be released when standing on top of a mountain you just climbed. You get a huge sense of achievement.

If there are people here that would like to try it I would love to organise a day trip.

Advertisement