Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    If there are people here that would like to try it I would love to organise a day trip.

Where abouts are you?
    We take a walk up the ballyhouras the odd time.(for myslef more than the OH) Tis nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

I'm based in Kildare and do most of my hiking and camping in Wicklow. Although these days I mostly do day hikes cus of my proximity to the mountains I am endeavouring to get back camping next month to test some new gear. My wife has also announced her plans for us to do a weekend hiking in Kerry in March so busy few months ahead. I can't get enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Hi all...been a while since I posted. But I just had the urge to post as I am sitting here crying my eyes out.

I relapsed into an episode of depression and I just cant get up out of this hole. All I am doing is sleeping till all hours...waking up taking meds..barely eating and going back asleep again. Ive sufferd for about 7 years on and off I am now seeing a new therapist and my psychiatrist I in the middle of changing meds at the moment and I cannot start the new meds until I ween off the current ones. I ring aware every day just to speak to someone and I also attended my first group meeting yesterday It was great to speak and see the support from others and I even tried going for a walk today but im just so lost and im so disconnected from my fiance and stepson and its killing me and my family as there is only so much they can do.

I really just wish I was back to the old me so that I could get on with my life. As I post here im crying and im sorry for the rant but all I want is to be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Does anyone know what happens if you admit to daily suicidal ideation to a counsellor? Hoping that I don't get put in a strait-jacket and carted off lol, just need someone to talk to about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

snausages wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happens if you admit to daily suicidal ideation to a counsellor? Hoping that I don't get put in a strait-jacket and carted off lol, just need someone to talk to about it

They ask if you're "at risk", and if you would 'like' a hospital break.
    But it's quite tricky to hospitalise someone here. (I know, ..I dealt* with my mom being actively suicidal and they wouldn't take her in, unless she accepted to go in herself :rolleyes: :( ..)

I've told many a counsellor I deal with constant suicide ideation, just back it with "but I don't really want to die", or" but I have hope for things getting better")

Oh and they'll ask what you plan, how would you do it. I suggest being vague about this unless you are seriously at risk. They use this to know how likely you are to go through with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Hi all...been a while since I posted. But I just had the urge to post as I am sitting here crying my eyes out.

I relapsed into an episode of depression and I just cant get up out of this hole. All I am doing is sleeping till all hours...waking up taking meds..barely eating and going back asleep again. Ive sufferd for about 7 years on and off I am now seeing a new therapist and my psychiatrist I in the middle of changing meds at the moment and I cannot start the new meds until I ween off the current ones. I ring aware every day just to speak to someone and I also attended my first group meeting yesterday It was great to speak and see the support from others and I even tried going for a walk today but im just so lost and im so disconnected from my fiance and stepson and its killing me and my family as there is only so much they can do.

I really just wish I was back to the old me so that I could get on with my life. As I post here im crying and im sorry for the rant but all I want is to be better.

Things will be shaky until you are on your new meds and it might take a while for them to work. Do you live with someone or can you stay with someone for a while? I think its important to not be on your own at this time. You need support right now. Are there more group meetings you can go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Im alrite was a bit disapointed that i didnt have a girlfriend for my graduation. I graduated with a higher cert so im thinking of going back and the doing the level 8 honners degree in september

My mother is gone in a for an operation so that has kind of taking away from my problems.

I volunteer at a kids club when i get time away from work. I hope to someday get an office or factory job, something safe and worthwhile

The level 8 degree sounds great. College is fantastic for meeting new people. You will make friends through your classes (maybe even a girlfriend) and there are so many clubs to join. Went back as a mature student and am in my final year. Hard going back but the best decision I have made. At the moment in college there are free counselling facilities so if you ever feel wobbly about things definitely take advantage of the service. Hope your mom is better soon :)

cloud493 wrote: »
    I have a job, and that. I live my own right now, and I just get... Worse on my own. I don't have that many mates either.

Need a friend pm me

1moreyr wrote: »
    Things will be shaky until you are on your new meds and it might take a while for them to work. Do you live with someone or can you stay with someone for a while? I think its important to not be on your own at this time. You need support right now. Are there more group meetings you can go to?

Thanks for the reply. I live with my fiance and her 10 year old son. But because my psych doc has me out of work im lost in the day times everything is a struggle. Tonight I decided to give her a break so I am staying in my parents. I have support around me. Its just very difficult. The next support group is next wednesday but I also have my therapist on tuesday. The new mix of meds is something the doc calls carolina rocketfuel....but I wait to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

To be fair to Donal Walsh, it's understandable why he'd have that sort of logic; he was a young kid who wanted to live but couldn't do anything to prevent his death. It must have been frustrating for him to see others who didn't want to live ending their lives without properly understanding why they didn't want to live.

I was angry at the "hey depressed people, cop on and don't kill yourself" sentiment it seemed to imply but the media were more to blame for that than Donal himself was. And even if his logic was flawed, Donal's story did get more people talking about mental health issues, including people who would've been blissfully unaware of them before, so for that he deserves some recognition.
    the whole thing irritates me. fair enough he was a very strong/brave kid who was given a ****ty deal in life, but had a simple view on a complex issue. the media made a big deal out of it, I dont really think it will change anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Thanks for the reply. I live with my fiance and her 10 year old son. But because my psych doc has me out of work im lost in the day times everything is a struggle. Tonight I decided to give her a break so I am staying in my parents. I have support around me. Its just very difficult. The next support group is next wednesday but I also have my therapist on tuesday. The new mix of meds is something the doc calls carolina rocketfuel....but I wait to see.

Hey I'm on a cocktail of meds called California rocket fuel! Its cymbalta and Mirtazapine or Effexor and Mirtazapine. I'm on the cymbalta/mirt combo. Has been highly effective for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hey I'm on a cocktail of meds called California rocket fuel! Its cymbalta and Mirtazapine or Effexor and Mirtazapine. I'm on the cymbalta/mirt combo. Has been highly effective for me.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-rqVf6ZP/0/950x10000/i-rqVf6ZP-950x10000.jpg :pac:

snausages wrote: »

When you have treatment resistant depression as I do, you learn a lot of psychiatric medications names from trying out so many :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Guys I do fall back from time to time but I've come along way from my worst and got good news today.

There will be better Days ahead never lose hope and talking to someone, of you don't have anyone call the samaritines. It does help.

If I didn't ask for help I wouldn't be round for today's good news I couldn't have imagined 2/3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

efb wrote: »
    Guys I do fall back from time to time but I've come along way from my worst and got good news today.

There will be better Days ahead never lose hope and talking to someone, of you don't have anyone call the samaritines. It does help.

If I didn't ask for help I wouldn't be round for today's good news I couldn't have imagined 2/3 years ago.

Great to hear, I'm very happy for you. I always love to hear of people overcoming depression. :)

I fell into a rut just before Christmas and it has been one of the most severe episodes I've had in a few years. I thought I had overcome this and that it was gradually fading out of my life over the past few years. I'd only ever have the odd bad day or week here and there.

Now I've been in a constant slump for a few weeks and it's ruining me. The worst part is it has come on for no apparent reason, my life is pretty good in general and I can't think of anything that might have triggered it.

I'm going to make an appointment with the doctor, but I have been putting it off because it seems pointless. Right now I feel like I'll never come out of this, even though to the rest of you that probably sounds ridiculous. I mean I'm consciously aware that I have recovered before, and that I, when healthy, am always certain that people will come out of it. My mind won't believe that right now though.

Horrible.

Great to hear, I'm very happy for you. I always love to hear of people overcoming depression. :)

I fell into a rut just before Christmas and it has been one of the most severe episodes I've had in a few years. I thought I had overcome this and that it was gradually fading out of my life over the past few years. I'd only ever have the odd bad day or week here and there.

Now I've been in a constant slump for a few weeks and it's ruining me. The worst part is it has come on for no apparent reason, my life is pretty good in general and I can't think of anything that might have triggered it.

I'm going to make an appointment with the doctor, but I have been putting it off because it seems pointless. Right now I feel like I'll never come out of this, even though to the rest of you that probably sounds ridiculous. I mean I'm consciously aware that I have recovered before, and that I, when healthy, am always certain that people will come out of it. My mind won't believe that right now though.

Horrible.

You don't overcome depression, IMO, you learn to cope and deal with it and manage it.
    The black dog returns

Horrible.

You posted here. That's a step. Next step call your doctor

Horrible.

You WILL come through this of that I am certain. Although I know it seems never ending at the moment. I have been there too many times. I'm learning in psychology at the moment to prepare for the next time the black dog pays me an unwelcome visit. Techniques to use, basically sitting with the depression/anxiety and observing it while reminding myself that ive overcome it before and I will again. As I said before you most definitely will overcome this current bout just hang in there. Make that appointment with your doctor because you dont deserve to feel this way.

You don't overcome depression, IMO, you learn to cope and deal with it and manage it.
    The black dog returns

I have to believe it can be overcome, otherwise I lose all hope. The thoughts of having to manage this for another 50 or 60 years (should I be lucky enough to live that long) is beyond bewildering.
    You WILL come through this of that I am certain. Although I know it seems never ending at the moment. I have been there too many times. I'm learning in psychology at the moment to prepare for the next time the black dog pays me an unwelcome visit. Techniques to use, basically sitting with the depression/anxiety and observing it while reminding myself that ive overcome it before and I will again. As I said before you most definitely will overcome this current bout just hang in there. Make that appointment with your doctor because you dont deserve to feel this way.

Thank you both. I think I needed to hear that from other people have been through it to remind me that it's true! My girlfriend is wonderful and supportive, but I avoid talking to her about it too much because I don't want to become a dark cloud in her life.

She, thankfully, has never experienced it and, this is going to sound ridiculous, I don't want to tell her too much because I'm afraid of infecting her with my negative thought patterns.

I mean she knows what's going on and we talk about it from time to time, but I wouldn't want her life to become a cycle of coming home from work to a miserable sod who brings her down and makes her worried. So I tend to pretend it's not as bad as it is and get on with things.

Doctor. I need to do that.

I have to believe it can be overcome, otherwise I lose all hope. The thoughts of having to manage this for another 50 or 60 years (should I be lucky enough to live that long) is beyond bewildering.

Thank you both. I think I needed to hear that from other people have been through it to remind me that it's true! My girlfriend is wonderful and supportive, but I avoid talking to her about it too much because I don't want to become a dark cloud in her life.

She, thankfully, has never experienced it and, this is going to sound ridiculous, I don't want to tell her too much because I'm afraid of infecting her with my negative thought patterns.

I mean she knows what's going on and we talk about it from time to time, but I wouldn't want her life to become a cycle of coming home from work to a miserable sod who brings her down and makes her worried. So I tend to pretend it's not as bad as it is and get on with things.

Doctor. I need to do that.

Good man. The point is catching yourself before you fall to far then it will be easier to recover

• Advertisement

My dad has to take his aspirin everyday to manage his blood my friend his insulin to manage his diabetes his whole life. We manage our depression. Everyone has a cross to carry and everyone needs a hand

And you have a girlfriend more than I've ever had- never had a proper relationship

And you have a girlfriend more than I've ever had- never had a proper relationship

Aye, I recognise that I am very fortunate. As I said, my life is good, I just wish I could enjoy it for what it is instead of hurting on the inside for no apparent reason. There's a lot of people with an awful lot less than me who are a lot happier.

I wouldn't give up on having a proper relationship. It's all about being social, something that depression makes very difficult, but conversely makes managing things so much easier.

I don't know much about you, and don't want to presume, but if you make efforts to get out and meet new people you'll find someone to love you without even looking too hard. It's actually a cliche, but the serious relationships I've had came about when I wasn't looking for them. They just sprang forth during the times that I managed to get out and do all the things.

Aye, I recognise that I am very fortunate. As I said, my life is good, I just wish I could enjoy it for what it is instead of hurting on the inside for no apparent reason. There's a lot of people with an awful lot less than me who are a lot happier.

I wouldn't give up on having a proper relationship. It's all about being social, something that depression makes very difficult, but conversely makes managing things so much easier.

I don't know much about you, and don't want to presume, but if you make efforts to get out and meet new people you'll find someone to love you without even looking too hard. It's actually a cliche, but the serious relationships I've had came about when I wasn't looking for them. They just sprang forth during the times that I managed to get out and do all the things.

You can't love anyone else til you learn to love yourself but I'm getting there

Here is my poem about depression I suffered last year

Four months

It's bright outside but in my head the darkness overpowers
    I wait in hope for light to come as minutes turn to hours
    The hours turn to weeks and still I feel the force of gloom
    I'm getting sick of always hibernating in my room
    The doctors try to reassure, try this, try that and wait
    But I can't shake the feeling that it might just be too late
    Four agonising months have passed and still no sign of light
    I've used up all the strength I have I think I've lost the fight
    But then one day I see a glimmer starting to emerge
    I suddenly feel more at ease and think I might be cured
    It's been a giant battle but I finally have won
    The darkness has just disappeared now I can see the sun
    So please remember if you feel this bad you can pull through
    It took 4 months for me and now I'm feeling so brand new
    I've learned a lot about myself but one thing is for sure
    There is a light inside our soul that will always push you through

Here is my poem about depression I suffered last year

Four months

It's bright outside but in my head the darkness overpowers
    I wait in hope for light to come as minutes turn to hours
    The hours turn to weeks and still I feel the force of gloom
    I'm getting sick of always hibernating in my room
    The doctors try to reassure, try this, try that and wait
    But I can't shake the feeling that it might just be too late
    Four agonising months have passed and still no sign of light
    I've used up all the strength I have I think I've lost the fight
    But then one day I see a glimmer starting to emerge
    I suddenly feel more at ease and think I might be cured
    It's been a giant battle but I finally have won
    The darkness has just disappeared now I can see the sun
    So please remember if you feel this bad you can pull through
    It took 4 months for me and now I'm feeling so brand new
    I've learned a lot about myself but one thing is for sure
    There is a light inside our soul that will always push you through

That's actually beautiful. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

my mom could possibly die soon (She has pnoemia and is very sick) . Im so sad i didnt cry yet but i dont knw how i will cope when shes gone. how am i going to get through the funeral and all that.

its just going to be me and my dad in the house

i wish my mam will bring me luck as in getting a good job, finding the right girl and having my own family

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

PTH2009 wrote: »
    my mom could possibly die soon (She has pnoemia and is very sick) . Im so sad i didnt cry yet but i dont knw how i will cope when shes gone. how am i going to get through the funeral and all that.

its just going to be me and my dad in the house

i wish my mam will bring me luck as in getting a good job, finding the right girl and having my own family

Have doctors told you that she may die?

Don't have appointment with psych doctor until February but I'm gonna call them tomorrow and get an appointment for this week. I want to come off the two meds I'm on at night as I've put on about 2 stone since I started them last year so that side effect is just too much for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Knock the alcohol on the head.

Helps, more than drinking.

Advertisement