Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Knock the alcohol on the head.

Helps, more than drinking.

Very true indeed. (From personal experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm trying my best to stay positive this morning but I think this is getting out of control. As soon as I woke up I had the thoughts of hanging myself. Self loathing, all that good stuff. The most annoying thing is I know how to fix the problem (at least I genuinely think I do) but just can't make myself carry out the instructions. I hate myself for the self loathing but I can't shut my brain up. A lobotomy would probably be the answer. I'm holding on to the fact that I know I've felt as bad before, and that I know these feelings will pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

CJC999 wrote: »
    Have doctors told you that she may die?

She caught pnamonia while getting an operation in 2 lungs and is heavly affected. She had tb when she was 14 so only has 2 halfs of lungs left. I dont knw what way to react. My mom is going to die.

The only thing i can do is think of the future and how to live my life the way my mom would want it. Im going to go out and find a girl (Well its going to be hard because im not a chatty person and then hopefully in the future have a wife and child. My sister has a baby on the way soon so that is something to look forward too.

To all the depressed people think how lucky you all are, you could have 2 parents that love you left, i could possibly only have 1 soon.

Love to all

PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

PTH2009 wrote: »
    She caught pnamonia while getting an operation in 2 lungs and is heavly affected. She had tb when she was 14 so only has 2 halfs of lungs left. I dont knw what way to react. My mom is going to die.

The only thing i can do is think of the future and how to live my life the way my mom would want it. Im going to go out and find a girl (Well its going to be hard because im not a chatty person and then hopefully in the future have a wife and child. My sister has a baby on the way soon so that is something to look forward too.

To all the depressed people think how lucky you all are, you could have 2 parents that love you left, i could possibly only have 1 soon.

Love to all

PTH2009

Well at least your mom is alive and hopefully she doesn't leave just yet.... And in regards to you saying all the depressed people here should think how lucky we are if we have two parents still alive I don't really know why you are saying this? I'm sure we all have suffered a loss of some sort be it loved ones, relationships, jobs or other things. While I sympathise with your situation, I don't see how guilt tripping those of us who are depressed and still have parents helps? You specifically pointed out 'to all the depressed people'. Anybody can suffer depression the rich and the poor, those with family and those without family, the bereaved and the non bereaved. We are ALL entitled to feel how we feel and shouldnt have to feel ungrateful just because our lives appear normal on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 OneoOne1

Just love this post. Read it again today

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057091324

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I have had depression over the years but mostly reactive depression i.e. relationship break up etc

Around christmas time , i suffered depression due to wondering "why are we all here and what is the meaning of life etc"

It led to quite a nasty time where i could barely go to work and avoided all social situations.

I am improved now but still going to psychologist on friday to try and prevent it happenign again. im much better now but not 100% either. I still wonder what is the point in doing anything

one thing that helps massively is social contact - join a group , if you meet someone in the gym then talk to them. we are social creatures and need contact with other humans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

mickman wrote: »
    I have had depression over the years but mostly reactive depression i.e. relationship break up etc

Around christmas time , i suffered depression due to wondering "why are we all here and what is the meaning of life etc"

I do this to myself all the time. Why bother with anything when you're going to die anyway S:.
    SH!t way of thinking and hell to break free of.

Rescuing animals helps me. As I can say "I'm here to make their life better". Which gives me a sense of purpose, which is what you need when you start asking those kinds of questions.

Social contact does help alot too.
    Write down/remind yourself of things you enjoy doing. Things that you say "yep, glad I did/experienced that" and then things you might like to experience.

Bungy jumping, everyone should try it :P
    My goal is to have a job that funds enough for a horse, quite do-able. I love riding and I really look forward to a time when I'll have my own horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I do this to myself all the time. Why bother with anything when you're going to die anyway S:.
    SH!t way of thinking and hell to break free of.

Rescuing animals helps me. As I can say "I'm here to make their life better". Which gives me a sense of purpose, which is what you need when you start asking those kinds of questions.

Social contact does help alot too.
    Write down/remind yourself of things you enjoy doing. Things that you say "yep, glad I did/experienced that" and then things you might like to experience.

Bungy jumping, everyone should try it :P
    My goal is to have a job that funds enough for a horse, quite do-able. I love riding and I really look forward to a time when I'll have my own horse.

I agree with all of the above. I have made a bucket list of 50 items, some are very simple things like giving blood etc. I am ticking them all off and feel like my life has more purpose

You are dead right when you talk about purpose, thats the root of this kind of depression, existensial depression is the correct term i believe.

Getting married in August and will try for a family then, they will also be my purpose!

Giving something back is very important as it helps others and ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

OneoOne1 wrote: »
    Just love this post. Read it again today

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057091324

Wow that's a brilliant post. I can really relate to the first couple of paragraphs in particular. I'm going to have a read if it again later on the laptop.

mickman wrote: »
    I agree with all of the above. I have made a bucket list of 50 items, some are very simple things like giving blood etc. I am ticking them all off and feel like my life has more purpose

You are dead right when you talk about purpose, thats the root of this kind of depression, existensial depression is the correct term i believe.

Getting married in August and will try for a family then, they will also be my purpose!

Giving something back is very important as it helps others and ourselves.

a bucket list is a good idea, gives you something to work on.

And giving back really helps, as it takes you out of "makes no difference if I'm here or not", you can actively point to something/someone that it made difference too.

good luck with the marriage and family plans, :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I need to make a list too, but even getting around to that seems like such a huge step.

I'm suffering from post natal depression. But it doesn't feel like it. I was depressed before and I was in the depths of despair. But now, I don't cry as much but I get angry so quickly. I'm very hard on myself and im so tired of putting myself down. But I feel like there's a mental block that's stopping me from getting what I want.

Some days are good, then other days are awful. I'm so confused because I feel like I'm getting somewhere yet I feel horrendous on my bad days. My poor baby is stuck with a depressed mammy.

I'm going to text my friend and tell her to text me in the morning to do up a to-do list. Hopefully that will egg me on to start doing stuff and not just sitting around. . .

loubian wrote: »

I'm going to text my friend and tell her to text me in the morning to do up a to-do list. Hopefully that will egg me on to start doing stuff and not just sitting around. . .

Start with writing things you're thankful for.

And start with a simple daily or weekly goal.
    I found for awhile, forcing myself to put effort into what I'm wearing. (whether I'm going anywhere or not) would make me feel better about myself.

Go for a walk daily.

It's important to do nice stuff for yourself.

Things will get better though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hey I'm on a cocktail of meds called California rocket fuel! Its cymbalta and Mirtazapine or Effexor and Mirtazapine. I'm on the cymbalta/mirt combo. Has been highly effective for me.

Thank you for the reply...Yea i am on the mirt and eflexor/Irvene 4 days now so a few weeks to go yet but i look forward to the full effect. So that i can get a hold of this depression and concentrate on the road to recovery in preventing the episodes going further.

How long have you been on the meds?

Thank you for the reply...Yea i am on the eflexor/Irvene 4 days now so a few weeks to go yet but i look forward to the full effect. So that i can get a hold of this depression and concentrate on the road to reovery in preventing the episodes going further.

How long have you been on the meds?

On Cymbalta since June 2013
    mirtazapine since July 2013
    Alson on seroquel since August 2013

Was at psychiatrist today and am stopping the mirtazapine from tonight so hopefully I manage okay.

Its strange why they are stopping the mirt if its working for you?? Im sure the psyc doctor now feels that you are at a level the you are strong enough to cope really hope it works for me my whole life has come to a hault and now i am debating on whether to go to a spinning class tonight or the local aware group meeting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I just have zero motivation this week. It's not so much depressed as flat in terms of mood. I've spent the best part of the past few days cocooned in bed. I've no job to get up for, no reason to get up and out as my anxiety keeps me rooted to the spot.

I'm due to see my consultant next week so hopefully he will have some solutions to offer me. But right now, bed is the place where I want to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I just have zero motivation this week. It's not so much depressed as flat in terms of mood. I've spent the best part of the past few days cocooned in bed. I've no job to get up for, no reason to get up and out as my anxiety keeps me rooted to the spot.

I'm due to see my consultant next week so hopefully he will have some solutions to offer me. But right now, bed is the place where I want to be.

I've been exactly the same, today my fiancé gave me a swift kick up the ass and I'm going to try stay on track. I'm sure it will be a week before I'm back in this rut.

Cymbalta doesn't seem to be working it's magic this time :(

Can you not arrange to see the consultant any sooner? are you on medication?

I am the very same my friend except i do have stuff to get up for but just cant do it. bed is usually the only place i want to be as everything seems pointless and nothing will help although you may not feel depressed it is a symptom from depression.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Can you not arrange to see the consultant any sooner? are you on medication?

I am the very same my friend except i do have stuff to get up for but just cant do it. bed is usually the only place i want to be as everything seems pointless and nothing will help although you may not feel depressed it is a symptom from depression.

I'm currently on Prozac and Zyprexa but I don't think either are having too much of an effect at the moment. My mood was good (if anxious) over the Christmas season - I seem to have a bad case of the "January blues."

Its strange why they are stopping the mirt if its working for you?? Im sure the psyc doctor now feels that you are at a level the you are strong enough to cope really hope it works for me my whole life has come to a hault and now i am debating on whether to go to a spinning class tonight or the local aware group meeting.[/quote

The mirtazapine makes me crave sugar. I'm on such a low dose too but if I find I'm not feeling well then I've been advised to go back on the mirt. My psych suspects the mirtazapine didn't help me a lot. I felt a bit better for a week or two on it then bad again so we upped the dose twice but still no significant improvement. Then august came and seroquel added then like a light switch I got better. We are not. Sure what it is that has been highly effective.

• Advertisement

I'm currently on Prozac and Zyprexa but I don't think either are having too much of an effect at the moment. My mood was good (if anxious) over the Christmas season - I seem to have a bad case of the "January blues."

I am the very same but i am not on the medication that you are on i am on different meds. Are you on these meds long?? do you see any therapist or attend any group support?

Its the seroquel that brought me out of the depression I was in. The mirtazapine didn't do very much at all except make me crave sugar. I'm on such a low dose too but if I find I'm not feeling well then I've been advised to go back on the mirt. My psych suspects the mirtazapine didn't help me a lot. I felt a bit better for a week or two on it then bad again so we upped the dose twice but still no significant improvement. Then august came and seroquel added then like a light switch I got better.

The mirtazapine has seemed to help me a little as the doc upped to dosage.... and has now added Ireven which is the same as effexor its an intro dosage as i need to be on this for about 2 weeks before they can up the dosage. I really hope this is the mix for me it sounds like you have your right mix now which is great.

Yeah I actually feel crap today ever since I went into psych and told her I wanted off the mirt. I've 3 kids all sick with ear and chest infections too. If I feel lousy in a few days ill be straight back on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Do any of you guys have problems with anhedonia? I find it's one of the hardest parts of this illness. Does anyone else experience extremely diminished emotions? Like, severely lacking in empathy and just being really apathetic to things. Nothing really shocks me or causes an emotional response in me anymore. Sometimes I wonder if it's just my personality or a side effect. I have pretty bad anxiety and that's really the only emotion I would have now. Just wondering can anyone else relate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Do any of you guys have problems with anhedonia? I find it's one of the hardest parts of this illness. Does anyone else experience extremely diminished emotions? Like, severely lacking in empathy and just being really apathetic to things. Nothing really shocks me or causes an emotional response in me anymore. Sometimes I wonder if it's just my personality or a side effect. I have pretty bad anxiety and that's really the only emotion I would have now. Just wondering can anyone else relate?

Yeah, not enjoying activities that used to bring pleasure. I get the whole flat affect thing and can often lack the spontaneity that other people show.

Yeah I actually feel crap today ever since I went into psych and told her I wanted off the mirt. I've 3 kids all sick with ear and chest infections too. If I feel lousy in a few days ill be straight back on it.

My stepson is 10 and he has a nasty ear ache at the moment and he is only over tonsillitis. Im having a crap day myself and i am heading to an aware group support at 7:30 get me out for a while. Ugh effort!!!!

Yeah, not enjoying activities that used to bring pleasure. I get the whole flat affect thing and can often lack the spontaneity that other people show.

I can definately relate to this...No interest in anything that you normally enjoy. When i am like this (depressed) i cant go to work or the cinema...watch my beloved man utd...play computer games....interact with friends and family.

Simply a Zombie the body is there but the pain is non existant.

All i do is cry because of the fact i suffer with depression and that i am missing out on life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I am in the terrible trap of obsession at the moment and I suppose it has the knock on effect of depressing me. I am stemming the tide with some disciplined practice but I just realised I speak maybe 5 words a day max. I kind of am waiting for complete detachment to come because I can't even begin to think about the pleasures of the material world without getting a shock. I suppose I have had to repress all these thoughts, living in isolation as I do.

I feel like I really am fighting my stubborn self, I really want to make a breakthrough where I genuinely lose all giving a **** but there is an absolute mantra in my mind, maybe the last screams of the ego, that keeps me in a 'throw the toys out of the pram' mindset towards my appearance. It makes me feel like a proper twat to be so concerned about appearance, I know it's wrong but it's all I think about if I am undisciplined.

I'm like a hamster on a wheel for the last month or two, every day the same, ritualistic mirror gazing, followed by trying to relax myself, followed by going back to the mirror to check if it's as bad as before, followed by sleep, followed by sleep, followed by waking up and being completely jarred, feeling sometimes like I'm in a completely seperate realm and then there's the inherent loneliness and lack of love. Lack of being able to go out and have a laugh (maybe once every two weeks to a month if I'm lucky).

And yet, as this thing progresses I am becoming less likely to commit suicide. I can feel that, almost an apathy towards that when only less than a year ago I had a belt around my neck in a half suspended hanging attempt. (I nodded off in the end...) But I somehow don't see myself going there again, even though things are arguably worse and will arguably continue to get worse, unless that is I do break through to the other side and become completely detached.

At the moment it is tough going though.

My stepson is 10 and he has a nasty ear ache at the moment and he is only over tonsillitis. Im having a crap day myself and i am heading to an aware group support at 7:30 get me out for a while. Ugh effort!!!!

Have decided to stay on the mirtazapine as I've not stopped crying all evening. Pure anxiety at the thoughts of getting sick again so feck it I can deal with the extra weight but not the awful anxiety. The cymbalta/mirtazapine/seroqueipl is the best combination I've ever been on. I reckon walking into see my psych who knows me well and my history, and being met with a new doctor instead did not help matters. I have an appointment to see my own psych in February anyway but for now its California rocket fuel all the way!

• Advertisement

For Gleeso finglas
    Have decided to stay on the mirtazapine as I've not stopped crying all evening. Pure anxiety at the thoughts of getting sick again so feck it I can deal with the extra weight but not the awful anxiety. The cymbalta/mirtazapine/seroqueipl is the best combination I've ever been on. I reckon walking into see my psych who knows me well and my history, and being met with a new doctor instead did not help matters. I have an appointment to see my own psych in February anyway but for now its California rocket fuel all the way!

By the way the mirtazapine starting taking effect after one week. Super fast, much faster than the SSRIs or SNRIs. The anxiety and mood will begin to lift fairly quickly for you soon. That's the great thing about mirtazapine it acts very quickly.

Advertisement