Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

lukesmom, I know it's easier said than done with 3 kids probably taking up all of your attention, but would you consider a work out regime if you're worried about the weight? Why mess with the meds if they're working for you?

I think it's easy to forget how bad it can be when you're feeling well, but I'd say it's worth carrying a few extra pounds if it means being in good mental health. Also, if you can find the time for even a short jog a few days a week it will make you feel even better and counteract the extra sugar intake.

As for me, a mental week at work means I still haven't been to the doctor. I'm annoyed about that, but I actually feel okay tonight. I know it likely won't last, but it's great to have a reminder of what it feels like to be normal, and that I can be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I just wanna brust out crying, but I just can't....feel things building up again, wish I could tell those around me what I think and whats going on....damn you life.

I just wanna brust out crying, but I just can't....feel things building up again, wish I could tell those around me what I think and whats going on....damn you life.

You can and should tell at least one person you trust. Please do, bottling it up will do you no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

You can and should tell at least one person you trust. Please do, bottling it up will do you no good.

I genuinely don't have anyone, thought I had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I tell my close friends when I'm feeling that way.
    FFrom the outside I'm a manly man who looks after himself, very fit and does all the right things. ...

In the inside every 3 or 4 year's I get a right dose of depression, I feel totally worthless and my thoughts are very scattered and self centered.

It's starts off early in the morning peaks at 1 pm then goes away gradually, this can last from 4 day's to 6 months. ..

I might get 3 bouts of the 4 day's a season. ...but every few years the 6months comes in and it's like a nightmare. ..

I empathise with you :-)

I hope you have the strength to get through this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Talk to someone on here, there's always people who will listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Life is all we have!. It is a gift that we need to embrace and its short and precious.

I know its so hard to reliase this sometimes, especially during dark periods but one of the biggest regrets people have when they are dying is that they didnt let themselves be happy.

The only way you can get this happiness is to enjoy the little things, the big things like fancy holidays and cars wont bring hapiness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

been feeling rough since before xmas, bit of SAD, stressed out with exams and work situation, OH stressed out with finals, sister stressed out with finals.. was really not motivated to do anything, wouldn't leave the house and wasn't bothered to do anything. Past few weeks things are slowly improving, trying to get in to a new routine, getting up at the same time every morn and doing something. This morning and even now I am on a complete high.. am hoping it's a turning point and not just the high before the low, which it could well be. Personally I feel the winter months combined with xmas and new yrs is the worst time of the yr for people with depression. Your not in a good place, made even worse by seeing everyone soo happy around you and with new yrs, looking back at what you have or haven't done that yr and feeling even more hopeless. My thought today is look it, We're all half way through January and all still standing (maybe on one leg but still standing anyway) Maybe things aren't and won't be so bad.. and spring is nearly here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

I was like this for nearly 4 straight weeks until i decided fcuk it ill see what this aware help line is all about. So i rang them and i had a loooooong conversation and a cry. Give them a try it will do you no harm you never know it might be just what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Feeling a lot better today. I had a complete meltdown yesterday just awful. I was suddenly transported back into the clutches of doom and could not see a way out. Made me realise I need to STAY on my meds and drop the idea of being brave and coming off them. So what if I've put on some weight? So what if the meds sedate me? I need them and they work great for me. Needed to have a word with myself and I have. I put so much pressure on myself to come off them that it made me quite unwell and that's before even coming off them! Just shows how my brain is wired.

• Advertisement

I have been sleeping till 12:30pm at least the last number of weeks so last night when i got back from the aware support group i got my gym clothes ready and set my alarm for 9:15am so that i would get up and go to a spinning class.

Needless to say i couldnt drag myself out of bed and now i feel like a right f*cking loser and all i feel like doing is crying but i know if i do ill be 10 times worse. I have no apetite and sure i could prob go to the gym now but whats the point when i wont be able to do feck all with no energy. People say walking is great but i find that when i go out walking i end up crying while i walk so whats the point??

feeling absolutley brutal today.

I wish it was my turn to be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I have been sleeping till 12:30pm at least the last number of weeks so last night when i got back from the aware support group i got my gym clothes ready and set my alarm for 9:15am so that i would get up and go to a spinning class.

Needless to say i couldnt drag myself out of bed and now i feel like a right f*cking loser and all i feel like doing is crying but i know if i do ill be 10 times worse. I have no apetite and sure i could prob go to the gym now but whats the point when i wont be able to do feck all with no energy. People say walking is great but i find that when i go out walking i end up crying while i walk so whats the point??

Would listening to the radio while you walk be any help? It would stop your mind from wandering and the fresh air will help! Even if you just walked to the shop and back, it would be something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭glass_onion

I am sorry to read about those who are finding times hard.A saying i heard before. "Crying is not a sign of weakness,but a a sign you have been strong for so long".

I know through periods of depression.Some might ask,"why are unhappy,you should be thankful for everything".It might come across as been selfish,when we know there is someone worse off.But,with depression,it's not that easy.You thinking can,make you blind.You can't see anything good or better in it all.As i said before,its your happiness that matters.Not someone elses.Everyone copes with certain situations in a different way.

For those struggling and wrote about it here.I think you should be thanked,for posting here.It's an outlet.The support here is good.

I agree with mickman on the pursuit of happiness,we can't have everything like the cars and holidays,sometimes i think for those who might to seem have everything they have their own doubts somewhere.Sometimes the smallest tokens of happiness can mean a lot,like returning a good favour to someone,or a gift to oneself.Even talking to someone here about their worries and givening them a soundboard can make a difference.

bloody music would set me off.....im just having a bad day.

And the little lad wants to go bowling!!!!! FML

I really want to be able to go and enjoy things like that.

bloody music would set me off.....im just having a bad day.

Try listening to talk radio, or a podcast on a topic that you're interested in. It might help to stop your mind wandering. I tend to distract myself a lot, I can't just sit in a quiet room and enjoy the silence. Distraction isn't going to solve your problems, but it might give you some temporary relief and put you on a positive slant for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

loubian wrote: »
    Would listening to the radio while you walk be any help? It would stop your mind from wandering and the fresh air will help! Even if you just walked to the shop and back, it would be something :)

Was going to suggest listening to something. Otherwise you're just alone with your thoughts for the duration of the walk.

I usually work myself into an incandescent fury thinking about how easy other people have things when i'm walking and not listening to something.

That's part of my depression that i really don't like. I'll sometimes be shaking with anger or start shouting alone in my house when i hear about/see someone i know on facebook hit another good milestone in their life (engagement, new girlfriend, birth of a child) with **** all effort on their part.

put on your gear and go fro a run. I guarantee you will feel better - no excuses

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm spending this week in my bed - basically no motivation to get out and
    do things. I feel emotionally flat - not really sad, just flat. I don't see the point in doing anything really.

I'm glad that I've got Boards.ie and this thread to interact with. It keeps me in touch with the outside world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Don't be so hard on yourself. If you can manage to get to the gym for a while or even get a walk in the day is not a total loss.And even if you can't you can start again tomorrow. Perfectionism can be our enemy when we're not doing so well.
    mickman wrote: »
    put on your gear and go fro a run. I guarantee you will feel better - no excuses

Less of the no excuses stuff please. It sounds all too like 'pull yourself together' and that never helps. We're not here to guilt trip each other but to gently encourage.

NOT helpful I'd imagine :(

• Advertisement

Was going to suggest listening to something. Otherwise you're just alone with your thoughts for the duration of the walk.

I usually work myself into an incandescent fury thinking about how easy other people have things when i'm walking and not listening to something.

That's part of my depression that i really don't like. I'll sometimes be shaking with anger or start shouting alone in my house when i hear about/see someone i know on facebook hit another good milestone in their life (engagement, new girlfriend, birth of a child) with **** all effort on their part.

I stay away from facebook altogether and the news when im depressed micky it just makes things worse here i am fighting every min off the day and other people are posting about how they are pis*ed off at the weather.... :mad: arrrrggggghhh

I stay away from facebook altogether and the news when im depressed micky it just makes things worse here i am fighting every min off the day and other people are posting about how they are pis*ed off at the weather.... :mad: arrrrggggghhh

Keep on here we are here for you. You will be feeling much better very soon as you deserve to. Try and be kinder to yourself I know its hard to do that as I'm also tough in myself when I'm not well. When your meds kick in you WILL feel like doing things that seem too overwhelming at the moment, just hang in there it gets waaaay betterxx

lukesmom wrote: »
    NOT helpful I'd imagine :(

Didnt mean it like that , apologies if it came across wrong. Just meant that getting the heart rate going ALWAYS helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Didnt mean it like that , apologies if it came across wrong. Just meant that getting the heart rate going ALWAYS helps.

If I go for a run when miserable, I just burst out into tears out on the road...
    I've never felt better after exercise either, just emotionally tired/fed up.

It doesn't always help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I didn't interpret it in a bad way mick. I know where you're coming from. The effort and desire after all ultimately has to come from within the person who has the illness.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Exercise I find to be a great "maintenance" thing... but not a "treatment" thing. If theres something making you burst into tears when running, then is seems like theres probably something you need to take a deep breath and "unpack" first. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

DeVore wrote: »
    Exercise I find to be a great "maintenance" thing... but not a "treatment" thing. If theres something making you burst into tears when running, then is seems like theres probably something you need to take a deep breath and "unpack" first. :)

I'd agree with that but I did my first bit of exercise today in ages and I feel a lot better. I was also in a group so I felt a bit social for once, which I can have a lot of trouble with.

I do think that anyone that's feeling down should try doing a bit of exercise. It's not always easy to find the motivation when feeling like that but it can do a lot for both physical and mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

loubian wrote: »
    Talk to someone on here, there's always people who will listen

I second this. There's a lot of great people on here. You can even talk to me if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Fair enough Mick and in fact I'm a big advocate of exercise myself but if you are feeling unwell it can be very hard to motivate yourself to get there and do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'm on a high atm a bit anxious about new job but apart from that grand. Got help me when I crash!!!

Advertisement