Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I can't stand taking the lexapro anymore, sick of the constant suicidal ideation. It's gotten to the stage where I've spent the last half hour on google trying to find out if any of the meds I'm on can be used to OD, but apparently it'd take a lot of prescriptions to do it. Other times I feel like just jumping out the window but I think that'd be a horrible thing to do to my flatmate. Wondering if I should call my parents about it but I'm worried how they might react.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Try listening to talk radio, or a podcast on a topic that you're interested in. It might help to stop your mind wandering. I tend to distract myself a lot, I can't just sit in a quiet room and enjoy the silence. Distraction isn't going to solve your problems, but it might give you some temporary relief and put you on a positive slant for a while.
    Wattle wrote: »
    Don't be so hard on yourself. If you can manage to get to the gym for a while or even get a walk in the day is not a total loss.And even if you can't you can start again tomorrow. Perfectionism can be our enemy when we're not doing so well.

Less of the no excuses stuff please. It sounds all too like 'pull yourself together' and that never helps. We're not here to guilt trip each other but to gently encourage.
    lukesmom wrote: »
    Keep on here we are here for you. You will be feeling much better very soon as you deserve to. Try and be kinder to yourself I know its hard to do that as I'm also tough in myself when I'm not well. When your meds kick in you WILL feel like doing things that seem too overwhelming at the moment, just hang in there it gets waaaay betterxx
    mickman wrote: »
    Didnt mean it like that , apologies if it came across wrong. Just meant that getting the heart rate going ALWAYS helps.

Lukesmom thank you for your gentle comments it means alot. Mick no offence or anything taken i understand what you mean if you just dont think about it and get up and do it...it sometimes helps. The reason i end up crying is i know i am out about trying to "clear my head" because i have depression. Im not much of a jogger the extra weight has led to extra pain on the back and legs. I am going to try and go for a walk now because if i have to see anymore of that house wifes of orange county im gonna crack up.

snausages wrote: »
    I can't stand taking the lexapro anymore, sick of the constant suicidal ideation. It's gotten to the stage where I've spent the last half hour on google trying to find out if any of the meds I'm on can be used to OD, but apparently it'd take a lot of prescriptions to do it. Other times I feel like just jumping out the window but I think that'd be a horrible thing to do to my flatmate. Wondering if I should call my parents about it but I'm worried how they might react.

How long are you on lexapro? the side effects pass in time i was on them for over a year on the maximum dosage just keep reminding yourself that its just a side effect. Contact your parents and explain the situation also if you want to speak to someone on how you can explain it better to your parents call the aware helpline....Ive called them alot over the past few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I'm on Lex for four months. I hate the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

snausages wrote: »

call someone, if you feel that at risk.
    Meds take 6 weeks or so, (after dose fiddling) to be at their optimum. And before then, the suicidal ideation can often feel much worse.

Talk to your docs about it as soon as you can.

Switch, I found cymbalta worked better. Mind it had it's own side effects, but they were manageable and I wasn't miserable.

• Advertisement

Do you mind me asking what mg ? 10.. 15..20?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Amount of people I know on lexapro it seems to be a very popular drug to prescribe in Ireland.

Amount of people I know on lexapro it seems to be a very popular drug to prescribe in Ireland.

You living outside ireland?? It worked for me for at least 13 months on the maximum dose. I do know my old gp he would give lexapro at the drop of a hat and his knowledge towards depression wasnt a great deal. Luckily my new GP has a good grasp and has been very supportive.

You living outside ireland?? It worked for me for at least 13 months on the maximum dose. I do know my old gp he would give lexapro at the drop of a hat and his knowledge towards depression wasnt a great deal. Luckily my new GP has a good grasp and has been very supportive.

No born in Ireland and living here all my life. I just always seem to hear of people on lexapro and for the SNRIs effexor.

I know a lad when he took his first lexapro he felt completely wired out of it buzzing.
    Oh how I wish I could go back to the days of citaliopram/cipramil, 5 great years until it pooped out on me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Lukesmom thank you for your gentle comments it means alot. Mick no offence or anything taken i understand what you mean if you just dont think about it and get up and do it...it sometimes helps. The reason i end up crying is i know i am out about trying to "clear my head" because i have depression. Im not much of a jogger the extra weight has led to extra pain on the back and legs. I am going to try and go for a walk now because if i have to see anymore of that house wifes of orange county im gonna crack up.

If it's the getting out and about that's a problem yoga (at home in my room, very gentle basic exercises) has my body feeling the best its felt in years. The mind has a way to go but I feel it's near impossible to address one's mind when the body is a solid block of built-up tension and dis-ease.

I really would recommend it, I've heard so many (good) joint crackings over the last week or two, each one a bit of crap being released. It is not the definitive answer (although it can be) but we normalise to however our body begins to feel over time and only realise how much of a pressure that can cause on us when its relieved. If you want any advice on this PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Kinda forgot, didn't think about taking my prozac this week due to exams being on in college, big mistake I cant stop thinking about failing, want to give up and to do something stupid, beginning to think this college thing ain't for me anymore but without it I have nothing to focus on, my life is fcuked up at the moment I wish I had the wherewithal to just end things but the fear of failing any attempt is too much to even try, I can remember full episodes of South Park, Simpsons etc word for word but can't remember my college work. Fùck my stupid life, **** it all.

If it's the getting out and about that's a problem yoga (at home in my room, very gentle basic exercises) has my body feeling the best its felt in years. The mind has a way to go but I feel it's near impossible to address one's mind when the body is a solid block of built-up tension and dis-ease.

I really would recommend it, I've heard so many (good) joint crackings over the last week or two, each one a bit of crap being released. It is not the definitive answer (although it can be) but we normalise to however our body begins to feel over time and only realise how much of a pressure that can cause on us when its relieved. If you want any advice on this PM me.

ive always been interested in yoga its just trying to get motivated to do it. The misses has just told me that she will drag me out of bed in the morning to go spinning. i really hope i can do it..please GOD:(

Well one motivation for me was that it was like a physical spear was lodged in my skull and my body and muscles were in the most dizzying tension and general pain, especially when I woke up. There are some very basic exercises that will help you. I have not been disciplined about it but when you do a little bit and feel the difference in a couple of hours or the next day that makes it easier to do more!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Kinda forgot, didn't think about taking my prozac this week due to exams being on in college, big mistake I cant stop thinking about failing, want to give up and to do something stupid, beginning to think this college thing ain't for me anymore but without it I have nothing to focus on, my life is fcuked up at the moment I wish I had the wherewithal to just end things but the fear of failing any attempt is too much to even try, I can remember full episodes of South Park, Simpsons etc word for word but can't remember my college work. Fùck my stupid life, **** it all.
    Flouxetine (Prozac) has a relatively long half-life, so it takes a fair while to wash out completely. This is good for you though.

If it was me, I would restart the medication immediately. The last thing you need right now is withdrawal symptoms.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I also recommend yoga. It's great. Calms the mind and helps the body detox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Do you mind me asking what mg ? 10.. 15..20?

20mg.

Anybody know any good mental health hospitals in dublin besides st patricks?
    That are genuwinley good. I got up this morning and went to a spinning class and lucky I stayed at the back as I brokedown crying all sorts of thoughts going through my mind. I just cant live like this anymore. My rational and sensible mind is non existant.

I have everything anyone could want in life.....except for myself.

St. John of Gods is a very comfortable place to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

It has a highly affective percentage, with minimal side effects. (obviously, that isn't the case for everyone..)
    In my own experience, it only works for about a year though.

20mg.

Vito to be honest you need to go to the GP or the psych doc and either get them to put you on another anti dep or add another one to help the one you are on.

Keep battling. I am having a horrid time myself at the moment so I know how you feel. I write this sitting in my car as I way up my options to go into hospital for the first time or give my new meds time. One thing is for sure your not alone in how you feel.

• Advertisement

St. John of Gods is a very comfortable place to stay.

Jimmy where is that. Is the actual mental health help any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Jimmy where is that. Is the actual mental health help any good?

I was in St John of God's about 7 years back. Really what they do when you go for a hospital stay is they find the right medication for you and stabilise you. That can be useful but IMO where they are lacking is in giving you time to express whatever fears that you have and how you are going to live your life post release and deal with your issues. You feel safe for the period that your with them but post release you can still feel pretty isolated and lost.

Vito to be honest you need to go to the GP or the psych doc and either get them to put you on another anti dep or add another one to help the one you are on.

Keep battling. I am having a horrid time myself at the moment so I know how you feel. I write this sitting in my car as I way up my options to go into hospital for the first time or give my new meds time. One thing is for sure your not alone in how you feel.

I went into hospital last year three times and stayed a total of 6 weeks. I had been mentally and physically exhausted waiting to get better. I would say only go in if you feel you cannot cope at home waiting for meds to work. I went to A&E and got admitted that way. It really was a last resort for me and I hadn't slept properly in weeks. St John of Gods seems excellent though. Mine was just the psychiatric unit of local hospital but wasn't too bad I guess. The negative about where I was is that I was bunched in with alcoholics drying out, drug addicts withdrawing, very psychotic patients, very elderly frail patients and those who had manic depression and were manic at the time.. It reminded me of one flew over the cuckoos nest

Wattle wrote: »
    I was in St John of God's about 7 years back. Really what they do when you go for a hospital stay is they find the right medication for you and stabilise you. That can be useful but IMO where they are lacking is in giving you time to express whatever fears that you have and how you are going to live your life post release and deal with your issues. You feel safe for the period that your with them but post release you can still feel pretty isolated and lost.

Do they not offer psychology to discuss those fears and life on the outside?

Do they not offer psychology to discuss those fears and life on the outside?

It seems that no matter what your on your own in this country the mental health help is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

They doubled my dose of lexapro this week... more emotional numbness and spaciness - yay... :(

Just another hurdle to get over, although I wish it didn't take quite so long

I went into hospital last year three times and stayed a total of 6 weeks. I had been mentally and physically exhausted waiting to get better. I would say only go in if you feel you cannot cope at home waiting for meds to work. I went to A&E and got admitted that way. It really was a last resort for me and I hadn't slept properly in weeks. St John of Gods seems excellent though. Mine was just the psychiatric unit of local hospital but wasn't too bad I guess. The negative about where I was is that I was bunched in with alcoholics drying out, drug addicts withdrawing, very psychotic patients, very elderly frail patients and those who had manic depression and were manic at the time.. It reminded me of one flew over the cuckoos nest

My god that sounds scary.

It seems that no matter what your on your own in this country the mental health help is terrible.

Not where I live, in fact the support I've received since i left the hospital has been fantastic and that's going as a public patient. I had a nurse from the home base team call to my house everyday to see how I was and they always kept in touch with me by phone and would relay any concerns I had with my psychiatrist. I had their mobile numbers and could ring them during day no problem.
    I see the psychiatrist once every 6-8 weeks and have a psychology session once a fortnight.

My god that sounds scary.

It was scary. Plus every other day the gardai would bring a patient in who would be roaring at the top of his lungs and try get him into a room that was monitored by cameras. These people were very psychotic and after a few days they would join the rest of us at our meals. They were extremely sedated by then. I actually left hospital unwell and got better a month after leaving. This is why I think at John of gods sounds great because you won't be with a mixed bag of people.

• Advertisement

Not where I live, in fact the support I've received since i left the hospital has been fantastic and that's going as a public patient. I had a nurse from the home base team call to my house everyday to see how I was and they always kept in touch with me by phone and would relay any concerns I had with my psychiatrist. I had their mobile numbers and could ring them during day no problem.
    I see the psychiatrist once every 6-8 weeks and have a psychology session once a fortnight.

I envy you.

Advertisement