Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    They doubled my dose of lexapro this week... more emotional numbness and spaciness - yay... :(

Just another hurdle to get over, although I wish it didn't take quite so long

Fox they doubled it because 20mg is the theraputic level... you will see a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

lukesmom wrote: »
    Do they not offer psychology to discuss those fears and life on the outside?

Not enough of it. People need to talk while they're in hospital but they are more or less content to just medicate you.

Wattle wrote: »
    Not enough of it. People need to talk while they're in hospital but they are more or less content to just medicate you.

Typical

Sitting her just looking at my beautiful wife to be.
    My depression has really taken its toll on her she has no life as she wants to be there for me and look after her 10 year old son. She really doesnt deserve this life. I am not the same man as the one she agreed to marry....

My depression has me totally disconnected you would think that I would have love or fight in me to get through it for my family. But no not a hope.

my depression has finally taken everything I love from me.

I hope the rest of you are doing ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Sitting her just looking at my beautiful wife to be.
    My depression has really taken its toll on her she has no life as she wants to be there for me and look after her 10 year old son. She really doesnt deserve this life. I am not the same man as the one she agreed to marry....

My depression has me totally disconnected you would think that I would have love or fight in me to get through it for my family. But no not a hope.

my depression has finally taken everything I love from me.

I hope the rest of you are doing ok?

You obviously do have love for your family or you wouldn't be saying this. You obviously do have fight in you or you wouldn't be here talking about things and considering your options. The way you're feeling automatically colours the way you look at yourself, but it doesn't affect the way others see you.

It probably isn't the easiest thing in the world for your fiancee to deal with, but it is also probably not as hard as you think it is. When I'm depressed I find I project my mindset onto other people, I imagine that I'm rubbing off on them and making them feel the same way. It's not the case though. In reality, she's probably just worried about you and wants to see you well.

It's an illness, don't ever forget that. It's not something that you're doing or that is your fault. You'll get through it, you just need to figure out a plan of action and get the right treatment. In the mean time, just try not to be so hard on yourself.

And maybe tell her what you said here. Tell her that you're worried about the affect you're having both of your lives. See what she has to say about it, I have no doubt she'll be supportive and reassuring.

• Advertisement

You obviously do have love for your family or you wouldn't be saying this. You obviously do have fight in you or you wouldn't be here talking about things and considering your options. The way you're feeling automatically colours the way you look at yourself, but it doesn't affect the way others see you.

It probably isn't the easiest thing in the world for your fiancee to deal with, but it is also probably not as hard as you think it is. When I'm depressed I find I project my mindset onto other people, I imagine that I'm rubbing off on them and making them feel the same way. It's not the case though. In reality, she's probably just worried about you and wants to see you well.

It's an illness, don't ever forget that. It's not something that you're doing or that is your fault. You'll get through it, you just need to figure out a plan of action and get the right treatment. In the mean time, just try not to be so hard on yourself.

And maybe tell her what you said here. Tell her that you're worried about the affect you're having both of your lives. See what she has to say about it, I have no doubt she'll be supportive and reassuring.

Thank you so much for the reply. I thought i was doing well with the plan i put in place.

I am on new meds about 6 days now and they have upped my nightime anti dep to the maximum. i have been attending aware support groups and i start the aware life skills programme on the 27th. I also have a therapist i see weekly and i see him tomorrow. I try get to a spinning class or walk when i can for exercise as the day times are tough as i am out of work with depression at the moment and in fairness they have been great support.

This bout has been the toughest so far....if i can get through this i cant get through anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Missed my exam earlier today probably a good thing given my frame of mind, it has been four weeks now since my last cbt session will be starting back in two weeks though I may get that bumped up to next week instead, took my meds an hour ago too.

Missed my exam earlier today probably a good thing given my frame of mind, it has been four weeks now since my last cbt session will be starting back in two weeks though I may get that bumped up to next week instead, took my meds an hour ago too.

great you took your meds now move your cbt to next week andyou will be back on track pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Thank you so much for the reply. I thought i was doing well with the plan i put in place.

I am on new meds about 6 days now and they have upped my nightime anti dep to the maximum. i have been attending aware support groups and i start the aware life skills programme on the 27th. I also have a therapist i see weekly and i see him tomorrow. I try get to a spinning class or walk when i can for exercise as the day times are tough as i am out of work with depression at the moment and in fairness they have been great support.

This bout has been the toughest so far....if i can get through this i cant get through anything.

You're trying all the right things, so keep it up. I've heard amazing things about CBT and, as for the meds, six days is not enough. Just hang in there and things will turn around. I have no doubt you consciously know this, but it's also so hard to believe it when you're in the middle of a depression.

Try going back over some of the success stories in this very thread to top up your hope tank. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wish I could tattoo certain things to me so that, like Memento when I wake up feeling that way I would know the actions to take to get back to myself. I kinda have that now and things are and have been pretty good but no amount of "emotional persuasion" would convince me, not even coming from myself! I just know now that if I take certain actions, in certain ways, I will get back to "normal". I couldnt tell you why but I know now from bitter experience how to stop it starting and how to burn through it when it does come.
    My solution wouldnt work for you but my point is that you have to BELIEVE in those actions, even when every part of your fibre says "this is a ****ing waste of time". Believe and do it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

My experience of hospital was far more pleasant than lukesmoms I have to say. Just a bunch of regular folk in the hospital for the same reasons.

There was much group discussion regarding life on the outside too and preparations for it. I'd like to think the staff did their best to set up everyone up best they could for their departure from the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Trust me you WILL get through this. My worst bout was last summer it felt never ending I honestly could see no way out. But I got better and you will too believe me I know talk is cheap but hang in there. Day 6 of your meds well done, now just a week or so more till you find things a little easier and then bit by but you will emerge stronger and happier. And try lose the guilt for its a useless emotion that serves no purpose. You ARE worth it, worth the wait and ive absolutely no doubt that very soon you'll be telling us how things are improving for you.

Have just gone cold turkey tonight on mirtazapine, even though the thoughts of coming off it sent me into a meltdown this week. But anyway here goes.........be brave Lukemom be brave

Have just gone cold turkey tonight on mirtazapine, even though the thoughts of coming off it sent me into a meltdown this week. But anyway here goes.........be brave Lukemom be brave

Noooooo why???? Its working for you and cold turkey is the worst way

Noooooo why???? Its working for you and cold turkey is the worst way

Just to see how I cope, if I don't I can go straight back on as I've a months supply I collected today. My pdoc said going from 15mg to nothing is pretty common. If I feel worse I'll just take one. Also if I'm not asleep by 3am I'm taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just to see how I cope, if I don't I can go straight back on as I've a months supply I collected today. My pdoc said going from 15mg to nothing is pretty common. If I feel worse I'll just take one. Also if I'm not asleep by 3am I'm taking it.

Coming straight off without tapering off first is probably not the best way to see if you can cope. The side effects are just not fun and you're not giving your self the best chance to be successful coming off them.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Coming straight off without tapering off first is probably not the best way to see if you can cope. The side effects are just not fun and you're not giving your self the best chance to be successful coming off them.

Well I'm feeling absolutely fine today, woke up a few times but still got adequate sleep. Who knows how I will be in a few days but for now I'm good.
    By the way I'm doing it under the advice and supervision of my pdoc.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And thats the only way to adjust any meds, no matter how much people might not like them.

Slight aside:
    I feel like the last few pages have skirted dangerously close to medical advice, albeit just on the right side of the line. :)

Well I'm feeling absolutely fine today, woke up a few times but still got adequate sleep. Who knows how I will be in a few days but for now I'm good.
    By the way I'm doing it under the advice and supervision of my pdoc.

Edit: not so fine now :( have a headache and anxiety too, my stomach is nauseous. Not sure what to do? My pdoc said to just take it and carry on taking it if I'm not feeling well. Just feel like total sh!te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

I am sorry to hear lukesmom! I do hope things get better... :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

I don't wish to interrupt an important discussion, but I just wanted to say hey, and....and....and, well, it's possible I have been touched with some form of disconsolation (and anxiety, particularly social in nature). I thought it was situational, but if that is the case, I suspect it's been 'situational' for far toooo long :o

I've taken the attitude that it would right itself if I stayed active and upbeat, but such actions haven't resolved the underlying "something" that I can't quite name... And lately, it seems to be worsening to the point that bothersome has become something more life affecting :/ ...I gotta take some kind of effective action to halt the advancment of this 'disposition'

TommieBoy wrote: »
    I am sorry to hear lukesmom! I do hope things get better... :o

They will in an hour when I take my meds, obviously need to be on them longer! Went through enough crap last year being depressed for 4 months so I'm not putting this anxiety and nausea from withdrawal on myself. Its very possible that half of it is psychosematic, half in my head but I don't care.I might need to be on them for a year or more but so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I really want some company but everyone is either out or not bothered. I have no money or babysitter so I can't go far myself. I'm on the verge of tears, I feel so isolated and like I have no support.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Reiketsu wrote: »
    I really want some company but everyone is either out or not bothered. I have no money or babysitter so I can't go far myself. I'm on the verge of tears, I feel so isolated and like I have no support.

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/80498372/large.gif

Cry. Let it out. We're a bunch of randomers to you but we can offer you support. At least tacitly. Be nice to yourself.

Hey talk to us here. X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

thats what this thread's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Thanks guys. I haven't been feeling the greatest for the past couple of weeks in general but I'm at the point at the moment were I need a distraction I suppose. A bit of company always gives me a lift. I have to see my doctor on Wednesday and I really don't feel that the Setraline is doing it for me any more. The first couple of months it was but not any more. I had my dose upped by 50mg to 150mg last month and don't feel one bit different.

They will in an hour when I take my meds, obviously need to be on them longer! Went through enough crap last year being depressed for 4 months so I'm not putting this anxiety and nausea from withdrawal on myself. Its very possible that half of it is psychosematic, half in my head but I don't care.I might need to be on them for a year or more but so be it.

Hey its braver to stay on them and if it works dont change it I had a meltdown today and I would love to be in ur position that the meds are working.

and we're all sitting in on a saturday night too...

Actually, one of the worst things about sites like Facebook is that it can seem like everyone is having a totally awesome time all the time every night and well.... you (ie: me) are not.

Its baloney. Don't buy into that fake facade.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I haven't been feeling the greatest for the past couple of weeks in general but I'm at the point at the moment were I need a distraction I suppose. A bit of company always gives me a lift. I have to see my doctor on Wednesday and I really don't feel that the Setraline is doing it for me any more. The first couple of months it was but not any more. I had my dose upped by 50mg to 150mg last month and don't feel one bit different.

I feel ur pain my meds stopped wirking for me now I am going through hell waiting on the new one to kick in. My eyes are burning from all the crying. My father said I could have filled the liffey with all my tears.

Advertisement