Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Sorry to have troubled you,didn't know where else to post it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Discharged by psyc good thing? No! No access to services until referred by doc!!!

lukesmom wrote: »
    You my want to delete this post, while it is awful, there are quite a few of us that are trying to reach or maintain positive mental health and news of a suicide does not encourage positive thinking or wellbeing.

Could you remove your quoted one also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Has anyone tried the mental technique of really transporting themselves in their mind to the moment(s) before death using the FULL power of their imagination, where death is near and inevitable. To the point where doing anything other than accepting is futile. Say it's your last moments in hospital after a long battle with disease. I don't mean in a sad or morbid way, seeing as that time WILL come for all of us anyway. Sometimes I find it gives me a bit of peace, taking myself there and then back to where I am, it can give me a bit of breathing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Lukesmom im just fed up and tired of "dying to live"

I used to say 'I'm sick and tired of always being sick and tired'. Yeah I getcha. You should take a pen and as piece of paper and write down the good points about yesterday no matter how small just write them out. We often forget bits of improvement and i have found it very therapeutic to use the writing technique so you have it in black and white. Its a great tool to use when you are waiting to get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

efb wrote: »
    Discharged by psyc good thing? No! No access to services until referred by doc!!!

Why were you discharged?? Are you living in dublin?

Has anyone tried the mental technique of really transporting themselves in their mind to the moment(s) before death using the FULL power of their imagination, where death is near and inevitable. To the point where doing anything other than accepting is futile. Say it's your last moments in hospital after a long battle with disease. I don't mean in a sad or morbid way, seeing as that time WILL come for all of us anyway. Sometimes I find it gives me a bit of peace, taking myself there and then back to where I am, it can give me a bit of breathing room.

No I can't say that I have but it sounds pretty interesting

Have you made appointment with your doc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well it's not a cure or anything like that but just imagine how you would feel and what thoughts would burst through your mind if you knew there was just a couple handfuls of breaths left. Then ye come back to now with that mentality. Then I slow down and appreciate even just my breath now. It doesn't change me or make happy, it just grounds me a bit. It only works when I give myself the space to really think hard about the acceptance that would wash over someone, almost ready to go. Again not in a morbid way because it will happen.

• Advertisement

yeah Doc sorted it, but what a nuisance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Eugghh. So fluoxetine did nada apparo so now I have to do CBT but can't afford it really :/ Cant I like, take the meds even harder :P

I dunno if I'm annoying people in my life or If I'm being treated unfairly too. God I'd give an arm to be able to think straight for even a week. Concentrating is a luxury I p*ssed away as a child.

Games always help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Look at the time :(

Chiquitita wrote: »
    Look at the time :(

I always see the time around midnight. Then what feels like two minutes later BAM. Its 4am and sleep is not much closer. Can't sleep alone atall anymore. Sucks major.

What do you do todistract yourself? I fall asleep, lovely and content but then im literally jolted into awakeness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Eugghh. So fluoxetine did nada apparo so now I have to do CBT but can't afford it really :/ Cant I like, take the meds even harder :P

I dunno if I'm annoying people in my life or If I'm being treated unfairly too. God I'd give an arm to be able to think straight for even a week. Concentrating is a luxury I p*ssed away as a child.

Can't afford it? The HSE should cover it...

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Can't afford it? The HSE should cover it...

Theres a fair aul wait for CBT through the HSE I'm informed. Months at best I was told. Alternative is apparently cheap however the Doc never mentioned a ball park so I'm suspicious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Timmyctc wrote: »

CBT, is offered free in your local mental health service, there is a waiting list though. Ask your doc about it and to refer you.
    There's a 4 months to a year waiting list, depending on area, however there's an increase of people qualified to give cbt, so it should be on the shorter time.
    You can also meet a nurse frequently in the time that you're waiting.

Alternatively contact aware or various counsellors and ask if they have a cheap service going, There's a few counsellors that offer "whatever you can afford". So ask around and tell them there's no way you could afford full whack, would be ok 5, 10, 15€ whatever it is you feel you can afford

CBT, is offered free in your local mental health service, there is a waiting list though. Ask your doc about it and to refer you.
    There's a 4 months to a year waiting list, depending on area, however there's an increase of people qualified to give cbt, so it should be on the shorter time.
    You can also meet a nurse frequently in the time that you're waiting.

Alternatively contact aware or various counsellors and ask if they have a cheap service going, There's a few counsellors that offer "whatever you can afford". So ask around and tell them there's no way you could afford full whack, would be ok 5, 10, 15€ whatever it is you feel you can afford

They offer an online cbt and group session, however group cbt, is only offered in 5 locations across the country.

Also most people would benefit from one on one cbt first, then group. As the anxiety can be quite stifling.

• Advertisement

Went to the hospital today in search of help as I am 10 days into my new meds and I just do not want to be here. This is the lowest ive ever been I went in search of help to the local a&e and 5 hours later after the usual assesment yada yada I am told they have no beds available and that I have 2 options. Stay in a&e for the night and see if there is anything they can arrange with my local clinic to attend there. Or they can release me into the care of my family if I promise not to hurt myself and they will contact my clinic to see if they can see me.

Ill say it before ill say it again the mental health help in this country is appalling.

They offer an online cbt and group session, however group cbt, is only offered in 5 locations across the country.

Also most people would benefit from one on one cbt first, then group. As the anxiety can be quite stifling.

Very true

Went to the hospital today in search of help as I am 10 days into my new meds and I just do not want to be here. This is the lowest ive ever been I went in search of help to the local a&e and 5 hours later after the usual assesment yada yada I am told they have no beds available and that I have 2 options. Stay in a&e for the night and see if there is anything they can arrange with my local clinic to attend there. Or they can release me into the care of my family if I promise not to hurt myself and they will contact my clinic to see if they can see me.

Ill say it before ill say it again the mental health help in this country is appalling.[/quote

You should have stayed in A&E and told them you cannot guarantee if you are sent home that you will be safe. This is exactly what i did (I was told there were NO beds) and about an hour later i was allocated a bed. Then they will find you a bed. There is always a few beds kept for emergencies, a psychiatric nurse told me this while I was in hospital.

If you feel more at ease in a&e you should stay there, as lukesmom said you'll be given a bed

Chiquitita wrote: »
    If you feel more at ease in a&e you should stay there, as lukesmom said you'll be given a bed

I didnt know that. Im home now and the battle continues..

Ill say it before ill say it again the mental health help in this country is appalling.
    The mental help in this country is far from appalling!!

We have excellent free services. Most countries do not have dedicate mental health hospitals.(or at least they have very few). This was because too many people were being place in them when they didn't need to be.

Yes, this means there may be a shortage of beds and in inpatient facilities, but the health care here is good. In fact, mental health is one of the few things Ireland haven't made cut backs on.

call a hotline, if you seriously feel you're at risk go back to a&e.

Also, remember you're going through the rough point in the meds. Things WILL get better, focus on that.
    Write down reasons you want to stay here, you have family who care about you, focus on them, remind yourself that you felt good ytd/the day before? You WILL feel good again.

If you can at all, find something to distract yourself with...easier said than done, but it'll give you calmness even for a few minutes

I didnt know that. Im home now and the battle continues..

are you alone atm, or with family?
    If with family, stay near them. Let them hold you. Maybe ask them why they want you to stick around. So, you can see yourself from their eyes.

If you are alone, any chance you can call someone to be with atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Gleeso, sorry to hear how you are feeling. Please do spend time with family if you can. If you need to talk we are all here. You will get over this bump in the road, stay strong.

• Advertisement

Gleeso if you feel you cannot spend another night last home feeling the way you do, please get yourself back to A&E and they cannot turn you away if you explain you are wanting to hurt yourself because of mental distress. Please I cannot stress this enough - you ARE going to get better. Either go now or wait till the morning if you feel you can stick it out till then. You are worth it, you deserve to live a happy and fulfilling life. I have been where you are and I presented myself at A&E. When you go into hospital they will help you a lot, you will find that the services they provide will continue long after you are discharged.. I have to disagree about mental health services in Ireland I think they are fantastic.

Advertisement