Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Chiquitita wrote: »
    A bit like yourself, going to try some meditation soon and see how that goes...hope everyone else is having a nice evening!

'Chiquitita tell me what's wrong?
    Your enchained by your own sorrow
    In your eyes there is no hope for tomorrow'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I don't know if things can get much worse. I'm thinking I'll never fit into the world the way other people do. Me being me is causing problems at work with people, and I either have to act my way through my working week, or get out. But then the next place won't be any different. I don't fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

My mood has been awful since I got up yesterday morning and I can see that continuing. Nothing ever changes, I don't feel better, my meds aren't working. I'm just sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

lukesmom wrote: »
    'Chiquitita tell me what's wrong?
    Your enchained by your own sorrow
    In your eyes there is no hope for tomorrow'

In my current state just reading that made me well up. I'm such a sap. :o

I've looked into CBT and found out there's no way I can afford it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Dedicating today as a stay in bed day, not in the mood for having another day filled with worries, medication is kicking in though (dry mouth!)

Hello to everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Hi folks,

I'm in a strange situation. On and off, I've been up and down since last April. I initially felt reasonably down for a few weeks and didn't think much of it. When the amazing summer came, I was actually in an incredible mood for two months (in retrospect it seems like I was a little manic, to be honest), other than that I've swung between feeling reasonably normal and feeling lethargic, irritable, exhausted and just plain fed-up.

There isn't really any logical external cause for this. The truth is, I have an easy enough life, a secure domestic situation, good social life, no financial worries as such, etc.

There seems to be no trigger for feeling down. It just happens, regardless of what is going on with me or how I behave. I get a few indications of when it's coming, I get songs stuck in my head, bloated feeling, and I sort of try and make plans in a sort of anxious way, i.e. I'll start trying to organise things that really can be left alone. Other than that it just seems to come out of the clear blue sky.

If I'm honest, it's not that bad. I basically never find myself in the 'can't get out of bed' situation, I'm never driven to tears, until recently I've always felt confident it was just a matter of waiting until it passed and so forth. If I have depression, it's definitely not a particularly severe case of it. However, it's beginning to feel as if the up-and-down cycle might not go away. It's exhausting because every time I'm enjoying myself or relaxing, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "yeah, but you might wake up miserable tomorrow". I find normal stuff like meeting people for lunch, going to the gym (I go three times a week) etc a big strain even though they objectively are not, it feels like I never get to relax even though actually I have plenty of free time. Every time I remember I have some minor obligation, it feels like some big hurdle to overcome, an imposition on me. Basically, I find myself thinking like a spoiled brat about the normal things in life, even when I'm the one deciding to do them (like the gym, for example).

So, a couple of questions.

1. Does it sound like I have depression?
    2. Is there such a thing as mild bipolar disorder? I doubt there is, but it seems like I swing back and forth, albeit not to extremes
    3. Would there be any benefit to giving myself some 'time off', as in dropping social, excersize or other obligations as much as possible, or might that make things worse?

Bear in mind: I realise professional help might be what I need, and if so I will get it, but for the moment I'm just looking for advice as described above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I don't know if things can get much worse. I'm thinking I'll never fit into the world the way other people do. Me being me is causing problems at work with people, and I either have to act my way through my working week, or get out. But then the next place won't be any different. I don't fit in.

I know the feeling *hugs*. I just feel my depression and self-esteem issues might disconcert people and drive them away. I am going to see a counsellor to try and sort this stuff out once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

Bear in mind: I realise professional help might be what I need, and if so I will get it, but for the moment I'm just looking for advice as described above.

Hello,

Sounds like you could have an issue worth checking. There is a possibility that a mild disorder can settle in, but overtime it can get worse. Professional help is indeed recommended, I'd say. Good man yourself for considering that, most people just hide it under their daily routine and ignore it until it grows larger.

Again, it might just be a light mood instability due to some chemical unbalance, but it can also be something serious so it's 100% worth checking out with specialized help.

PS: I've noticed many people solely relying on medication.... If I may, I'll make an analogy: medication is like crutches, it will support you standing up but you'll need to fight too, to be able to walk straight again. So courage up, lads and lasses! Never fear and look at your biggest fears straight in the eye - that's when it'll start to vanish and you'll find the fighter in you. To that, I would add prayer and hope. Never give those up, they'll be your best friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

So, a couple of questions.

1. Does it sound like I have depression?
    2. Is there such a thing as mild bipolar disorder? I doubt there is, but it seems like I swing back and forth, albeit not to extremes
    3. Would there be any benefit to giving myself some 'time off', as in dropping social, excersize or other obligations as much as possible, or might that make things worse?

Hi KingOfFairview,

Boards is probably not the best place to seek advice on matters like this, the best thing to do would go to your local doctor or talk to someone trained in this matter.

May i suggest trying one of the following for better advice and guidance on the matter.

The Samaritans (national)
    Pieta House (Dublin, Limerick, Tipperary)
    Aware.ie (National)
    Grow (national)
    1 life
    turn2me
    Befrienders
    Jigsaw
    [url="http://www.alone.ie]ALONE[/url]

list from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Gongoozler wrote: »

The people that interviewed you obviously saw something in you that they liked. People that hire people are quiet good at reading people so there must be something in you that they liked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Knowing how **** some others in here are, it's not a good thing. But thanks. I know what you mean.

Just have to apply for all jobs, regardless of how bad the salary is.

Hi KingOfFairview,

Boards is probably not the best place to seek advice on matters like this, the best thing to do would go to your local doctor or talk to someone trained in this matter.

May i suggest trying one of the following for better advice and guidance on the matter.

The Samaritans (national)
    Pieta House (Dublin, Limerick, Tipperary)
    Aware.ie (National)
    Grow (national)
    1 life
    [URL="http://www.turn2me.org]turn2me[/url] <br /> Befrienders
    Jigsaw
    [URL="http://www.alone.ie]ALONE[/url]<br /> <br /> list from [URL=&quot;http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082164"]here[/URL]

Hi Dannie,

Cheers for the links, and I understand why you posted this, but just to be clear: I understand no one here can give me a clinical diagnosis, I understand there is no substitute for professional treatment, rather I'm just wondering has anyone experienced anything similar and how they coped with it. You needn't worry that here is my only source of advice on this, I just thought it might be helpful to see if anyone else had any thoughts on my specific experience.

I wish I could think like people who dont have "thinking issues" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Hi Dannie,

Cheers for the links, and I understand why you posted this, but just to be clear: I understand no one here can give me a clinical diagnosis, I understand there is no substitute for professional treatment, rather I'm just wondering has anyone experienced anything similar and how they coped with it. You needn't worry that here is my only source of advice on this, I just thought it might be helpful to see if anyone else had any thoughts on my specific experience.

Hows it going. I might be able to give you advice. Boards is a greatfor things like this. I ha e suffered with depression and anxiety for about 7 years and and I currently battling my toughest episode that ive ever had.

Mine started of similar to what you said. The small things seem like its enormous and the big things are easy. Then I started feeling that going to the gym was effort and pointless where as before I loved going. Then I found myself withdrawing from social events...night out with work and that.

Slowly and slowly it all builds up but then it hits you fast like a tone of bbricks. Personally I would advise of the following and try catch this early as possible.

Tell your GP exactly what you said on here and ask them how as what needs to happen next. Mine also comes out of nowhere but unfortunatley my brain has been so low I am dependant on anti depressants to help me out so that I cann think straight and work from there. Also be open about it dont be afraid to tell your family and close friends how you feel talking helps.

Go to www.mymind.org there is a list of symtoms there and a general indicator as to if your symptoms are mild...moderate or major depression. Its just an indicator but it will do u no harm and it will advise to if you need to seek help.

Just make sure you speak to your GP as depression can be one nasty muthaf***** believe me I struggle everyday pal

Oh how great that would be!!!!! Did u sign up for the aware life skills programme??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

They don't exist I'm afraid, excluding enlightenment! imo

Hows it going. I might be able to give you advice. Boards is a greatfor things like this. I ha e suffered with depression and anxiety for about 7 years and and I currently battling my toughest episode that ive ever had.

Mine started of similar to what you said. The small things seem like its enormous and the big things are easy. Then I started feeling that going to the gym was effort and pointless where as before I loved going. Then I found myself withdrawing from social events...night out with work and that.

Slowly and slowly it all builds up but then it hits you fast like a tone of bbricks. Personally I would advise of the following and try catch this early as possible.

Tell your GP exactly what you said on here and ask them how as what needs to happen next. Mine also comes out of nowhere but unfortunatley my brain has been so low I am dependant on anti depressants to help me out so that I cann think straight and work from there. Also be open about it dont be afraid to tell your family and close friends how you feel talking helps.

Go to www.mymind.org there is a list of symtoms there and a general indicator as to if your symptoms are mild...moderate or major depression. Its just an indicator but it will do u no harm and it will advise to if you need to seek help.

Just make sure you speak to your GP as depression can be one nasty muthaf***** believe me I struggle everyday pal

Cheers mate, appreciate it.

Going to apply when the panic has subsided, wouldnt be able to concentrate on anything.

Hows everyone?

Going to apply when the panic has subsided, wouldnt be able to concentrate on anything.

Hows everyone?

Crap. Im about 3 or 4 days off an addictive relaxer and my anxiety is hhorrible.go fu** yourself brain.

:( poor you...often people say they "know how you feel" when in reality they havent a clue...but you can be sure that most of us here do in fact know how you feel.

Did your gp give you any alternatives? Cold turkey cant be good :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

poor you...often people say they "know how you feel" when in reality they havent a clue...but you can be sure that most of us here do in fact know how you feel.

Very true! A bad bout of anxiety would knock the "hardest" of men / women off their feet!

Get well soon dude.

Just on exercise: I often feel obliged to go to the gym even when I'm exhausted. I push myself to do so and feel very (and weirdly) guilty when I don't, which makes me feel worse.

I know it's meant to be very good for depression, but I feel like I need a break, to relax and not be worrying about how many reps I do, how long I was on the bike for etc. I think it may have gotten counter-productive, at least for the moment. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers.... its not helping the aul black dog... ugh kmn

Just on exercise: I often feel obliged to go to the gym even when I'm exhausted. I push myself to do so and feel very (and weirdly) guilty when I don't, which makes me feel worse.

I know it's meant to be very good for depression, but I feel like I need a break, to relax and not be worrying about how many reps I do, how long I was on the bike for etc. I think it may have gotten counter-productive, at least for the moment. Any thoughts on this?

Sounds like your a gym addict?

Sounds like your a gym addict?

Nah, if I was a gym addict I'd be a big strong guy! I go three times a week (hardly excessive) for about an hour each time. the issue isn't the amount of time I spend there but rather the pressure I feel to go more and more, and the guilt I feel when I don't (this is a pattern repeated in many other areas of my life).

I realise this may sound like a very trivial issue and I'm whining about nothing, but for some reason the gym is sort of a focus of me giving myself a hard time. Never there enough, never do enough when I'm there, always give myself a hard time if I skip a session etc. Intellectually I know exercise is good for you, but a lot of my stress also seems to revolve around it, for some reason.

I get the same but at least you can still get there I cant really get to the gym nowdays

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lots of runners become 'addicted' to endorphins, and feel bad if they don't/can't run.

Not your ornery onager

Really is that possible??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Nah, if I was a gym addict I'd be a big strong guy! I go three times a week (hardly excessive) for about an hour each time. the issue isn't the amount of time I spend there but rather the pressure I feel to go more and more, and the guilt I feel when I don't (this is a pattern repeated in many other areas of my life).

I realise this may sound like a very trivial issue and I'm whining about nothing, but for some reason the gym is sort of a focus of me giving myself a hard time. Never there enough, never do enough when I'm there, always give myself a hard time if I skip a session etc. Intellectually I know exercise is good for you, but a lot of my stress also seems to revolve around it, for some reason.

Exercise was a crutch 4 me but then it became a cause. I felt exactly how you described. I got injured and had to take a break which was probably the best thing 4 me as I was forced to look elsewhere for things to help me, and stopped me feeling so horrible if I missed a session. If I were you I would try find other things you could do so you don't feel so bad. Still do your 3 days but find something that keeps you busy the other times, might keep you from thinking about what you shoulda done in the gym. You may be subconsciously putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on yourself to go which might be sending your anxiety levels off.. have a think of what else is going on with you, maybe your just focusing on this cause you dnt want to deal with something else? And whatever you do, dont start punishing yourself with exercise and if u are already, reighn it in.. never ends well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Really is that possible??

Yup, definitely! Speaking from experience

Advertisement