Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Really is that possible??

Yup, definitely! Speaking from experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

roseybear wrote: »
    Exercise was a crutch 4 me but then it became a cause. I felt exactly how you described. I got injured and had to take a break which was probably the best thing 4 me as I was forced to look elsewhere for things to help me, and stopped me feeling so horrible if I missed a session. If I were you I would try find other things you could do so you don't feel so bad. Still do your 3 days but find something that keeps you busy the other times, might keep you from thinking about what you shoulda done in the gym. You may be subconsciously putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on yourself to go which might be sending your anxiety levels off.. have a think of what else is going on with you, maybe your just focusing on this cause you dnt want to deal with something else? And whatever you do, dont start punishing yourself with exercise and if u are already, reighn it in.. never ends well

punishment is exactly what it is. Good to know I'm not the only one, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Keep having the same awful dream every night that a nurse is giving me the wrong injection and I'm trying to explain to her I need a better one for my depression and anxiety. I keep explaining it to her but she doesn't listen and I know theres a better way for me.

Anyway into my psychologist now see can he figure out this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Change your routine going to bed put on relaxation for good dreams and put the headphones on and drift off listening to that. See how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SizzlerB

excellent post! i actually dont care what ppl think anymore - think its my meds
    really do make me not care so much about the silly Sh!t ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Just a note from me. I finally faced up to things prior to Christmas and told people how I was feeling after years of fighting with myself about what I should do

I won't lie and say things got better straight away because they didn't. But over the last few months a sense of perspective has dawned on me that has helped me cope day to day. Now I won't go into my treatment specifically but I'm really content lately and I know I wouldn't be if I didn't reach out for help so I'd urge anyone on the fence to follow my lead

Psychology went well. I'm lacking in energy today feeling tired even though I slept plenty. Weather not helping its gloomy out there. Staying inside for rest of the day. Don't wish to see anybody really. I shall stay in my bubble until it bursts.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

If you're happy to stay in, I say go for it! Turn on the tv and get yourself a lovely cup of teeea!

Chiquitita wrote: »
    If you're happy to stay in, I say go for it! Turn on the tv and get yourself a lovely cup of teeea!

I think im coming down with a flu or something so its a day in for me also. Cup of tea sounds smashing. Its the little things at times. Mental health wise...pretty ****

Nooooo it's friday, supposed to be a happy day! (did ya ever hear such sh*te :P

What are you doing to keep your mind at ease?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

For what it's worth, since a day or two after I posted in here about being at my lowest in a long time (a couple of weeks ago now) I have made a miraculous turn around. I know I'm not cured and that I'll be battling again at some point, but for now I'm just enjoying the respite and being back in control of my own mind.

I just wanted to remind you guys that whatever you may feel at the moment, you're not a lost cause or a permanently broken thing. Things can change rapidly so just hang in there and keep battling away. I'm rooting for you guys.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hibernating in bed today. I have little to zero motivation to get up and do things (although I did make a phone call earlier). Just feel safe cocooned in my leaba today. I know that I need to push myself to do things but don't seem to have the energy today. I feel anxious whenever I get up and out of bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Maybe this is rude but does anyone find that lexapro or any of its variants completely obliterate any interest in the opposite sex? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Is that an anti depressant? I remember meds killed my libido dead, I thought I was going impotent until I remembered that was one of the possible side effects!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Is that an anti depressant? I remember meds killed my libido dead, I thought I was going impotent until I remembered that was one of the possible side effects!

Lexapro is anti-depressant, yeah. Common thing to happen with Cipramil too.

snausages wrote: »
    Maybe this is rude but does anyone find that lexapro or any of its variants completely obliterate any interest in the opposite sex? :(

I can relate to this. Its common on anti despressants pal

Chiquitita wrote: »
    Nooooo it's friday, supposed to be a happy day! (did ya ever hear such sh*te :P

What are you doing to keep your mind at ease?

Whatever I can stand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm on Lexapro and I've had that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

I've suffered a bit with mild depression and anxiety. I was seeing a psychologist and the GP had me on cipramil for several months. Things seemed better so the sessions with the psychologist were wound down and the GP gradually took me off cipramil.

I came off he cipramil just as I found myself out of work. I was unemployed for 3 months and while I was a little stressed about money, I wasn't that bothered about not working. I got offered a new job and immediately my stress went through the roof, I didn't want to start working again. Anyway my anxiety came back around the same time and increased a bit after starting the job.

On the lead up to Christmas, I got very stressed about something which triggered a short but very, fast and deep downward spiral. Like nothing I had experienced in a long time, or ever. I felt like my life was over, I was in despair. The issue I was so worried about went away and all seemed well again, as my mood instantly got better.

Things were fine again until last week and since last Sunday, I have been in the darkest place I have ever been. I am again stressing about something (the same thing I was stressing about last month) and while logically I probably have very little reason to worry, the longer it goes, the worse I am getting. The stupid thing is, I wasn't even barely concerned about this thing until I read a thread in PI on boards and it just sent my crazy brain into extreme overdrive. I went from having a slight concern to being in tears and feeling like I had no way out, within minutes it seemed.

This week has been quite possibly the worst I have experienced in my life, even worse that the death of my father. I have never felt so low and hopeless.

I went back to my GP on Wednesday who told me the thing I am worrying about is very unlikely and I will be fine. But to me until I get confirmation of that, I can't relax. She has gave me some Xanax to get me through the next few days but I am supposed to go back and see her and discuss getting CBT again and possibly going back onto medication. It's obvious to me I still am unable to control my thoughts and be rational.

I've been in tears and I will be honest, thoughts of ending it all have entered my head. I'm not going to end it, I'm not planning it, but it's the all consuming nature of depression and anxiety that you just want the stress and the misery to go away and it feels like that is the only option. I just feel like the source of my misery won't ever go away.

Part of me is there telling me I am overreacting, the smart common sense part and I think it's probably right. The problem is that anytime that part tries to open the door and let some light in, the dark monster slams it shut and keeps the room in darkness and just continues to pummel the s*** out of me.

I'm not out of the woods yet, the thing that is stressing me hasn't gone away yet, but I am hoping it will soon. I don't even want to think if it doesn't, as I've been on the edge all week about it.

I feel a little better than yesterday. I felt very low again yesterday evening but watched some youtube videos and starting taking my vitamins again which I am convinced help me.

I have to go home this weekend for my fathers anniversary and part of me would nearly like to just ask my regular GP at home to just drug me up for a week or two so I don't have this constant worry plaguing my every waking moment. Or even just check me into some sort of mental hospital so I don't have to experience this stress for a few days or a week. But I know that is not really an option. I have a job that I need to go back to, I also got an unexpected job offer during the week from my previous employer so there are positive things out there. It's just hard to care sometimes about any of it.

I guess what bothers me the most is how I let a little tiny worry that wasn't bothering me too much, get so completely and utterly out of control that it sent me into a complete tailspin.

I really hope things get better soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Liger vs Tigon

I find watching Eckarte Tolle videos can help me when I am feeling depressed.

• Advertisement

I've suffered a bit with mild depression and anxiety. I was seeing a psychologist and the GP had me on cipramil for several months. Things seemed better so the sessions with the psychologist were wound down and the GP gradually took me off cipramil.

I came off he cipramil just as I found myself out of work. I was unemployed for 3 months and while I was a little stressed about money, I wasn't that bothered about not working. I got offered a new job and immediately my stress went through the roof, I didn't want to start working again. Anyway my anxiety came back around the same time and increased a bit after starting the job.

On the lead up to Christmas, I got very stressed about something which triggered a short but very, fast and deep downward spiral. Like nothing I had experienced in a long time, or ever. I felt like my life was over, I was in despair. The issue I was so worried about went away and all seemed well again, as my mood instantly got better.

Things were fine again until last week and since last Sunday, I have been in the darkest place I have ever been. I am again stressing about something (the same thing I was stressing about last month) and while logically I probably have very little reason to worry, the longer it goes, the worse I am getting. The stupid thing is, I wasn't even barely concerned about this thing until I read a thread in PI on boards and it just sent my crazy brain into extreme overdrive. I went from having a slight concern to being in tears and feeling like I had no way out, within minutes it seemed.

This week has been quite possibly the worst I have experienced in my life, even worse that the death of my father. I have never felt so low and hopeless.

I went back to my GP on Wednesday who told me the thing I am worrying about is very unlikely and I will be fine. But to me until I get confirmation of that, I can't relax. She has gave me some Xanax to get me through the next few days but I am supposed to go back and see her and discuss getting CBT again and possibly going back onto medication. It's obvious to me I still am unable to control my thoughts and be rational.

I've been in tears and I will be honest, thoughts of ending it all have entered my head. I'm not going to end it, I'm not planning it, but it's the all consuming nature of depression and anxiety that you just want the stress and the misery to go away and it feels like that is the only option. I just feel like the source of my misery won't ever go away.

Part of me is there telling me I am overreacting, the smart common sense part and I think it's probably right. The problem is that anytime that part tries to open the door and let some light in, the dark monster slams it shut and keeps the room in darkness and just continues to pummel the s*** out of me.

I'm not out of the woods yet, the thing that is stressing me hasn't gone away yet, but I am hoping it will soon. I don't even want to think if it doesn't, as I've been on the edge all week about it.

I feel a little better than yesterday. I felt very low again yesterday evening but watched some youtube videos and starting taking my vitamins again which I am convinced help me.

I have to go home this weekend for my fathers anniversary and part of me would nearly like to just ask my regular GP at home to just drug me up for a week or two so I don't have this constant worry plaguing my every waking moment. Or even just check me into some sort of mental hospital so I don't have to experience this stress for a few days or a week. But I know that is not really an option. I have a job that I need to go back to, I also got an unexpected job offer during the week from my previous employer so there are positive things out there. It's just hard to care sometimes about any of it.

I guess what bothers me the most is how I let a little tiny worry that wasn't bothering me too much, get so completely and utterly out of control that it sent me into a complete tailspin.

I really hope things get better soon.

Hi maybe I could give you some advice. First of all look into the cbt as this will help you with coping with the "little thing" that is bothering you so that way if it doesnt go away you will learn to cope and re pprogrammeyour thoughts and feelings to be more. Secondly it sounds to me that you are getting anxious which is then triggering the depression so maybe spwak to a psychiatrist about this and gwt them to properly diagnose you and then discuss the best road for treatment as in your first bout you were only on the anti depressants for 3 months...this is strange as you should haven been on them for at least 6 even if you are feeling better. Thirdly ask the psych doc for something other then xanax as this Is a benzo drug and highly addictive they can give you a non addictive drug like my psych doc prescribed me with Lyrica 50mg...take one 3 times a day as I got addictied to a drug similar to xanax.

So in short

1: speak to a psychiatrist to diagnose you
    2: arrange cbt
    3: go back on meds but make sure they are non addictive

Thats 3 things that can change your life along with regular exercise and eating right.

Hey krypton,

Was there any particular reason your gp took you off the medication? Did you feel like things were getting better for you? Ive been on mine 2 1/2 weeks and I intend to take them for the foreseeable future.
    Like you I could feel it coming on for a few months (probably a year if im honest) and I just let it go too far and now I find myself in this position.

In relation to what it is that's causing you to panic and worry, for everyone its different. So what may seem "small" to others is by no means a small worry to whoever is having the worry. The things im currently preoccupied with are probably stuff that most have accepted and dont think about, but thats not the case for me. But, im seeing someone once a week and im taking my medication so im TRYING my very very best to take it one day at a time. If my mind wanders, which it does a lot, I have my relaxation thing whereby I say the alphabet in my head. This works for me, touch wood.

I'm still in the dark place that we all know, but if I go 5 minutes without it terrorising me that's a great improvement from 3 weeks ago, believe me.
    I was on xanax too and had heard about them being addictive so I was somewhat reluctant but I took them for 10 days and they provided much peace of mind. I'm now taking something else (I can pm you the details) which helps me sleep, again something that I needed.
    Some will always say that medication isnt the answer, but anything that stops the wild and scary thoughts in my opinion is very welcome to go into my belly.
    I also wanted to take something or go into hospital in the hope that they would give me a sedative to sleep for a few days. The problem with the medication is the waiting time. Those few weeks really are torture arent they. The mornings I used to wake up covered in sweat, a panic attack already triggered before I even opened my eyes.

The thing that is worrying me is something that I have to accept but can't. Im glad that you're feeling better, being able to watch youtube videos is a great achievement. (I sat in almost complete silence, apart from crying my eyes out and panicking for over a week). Then one day I read a magazine, even though it was only 10 minutes, they were enjoyable.

I hope that today is a nice day for you and everyone else. Do whatever it is, big or small, that gives you even a tiny bit of pleasure. Right now im eating crisps and they're absolutely YUMMY :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Thanks for the replies.

I was on the anti-depressants for quite a long time, I reckon about 6 or 7 months. Everything seemed fine and after talking to the GP, we decided to take me off them. I don't think I maybe was clear about that in my first message.

I've taken a few of the Xanax since I got them a few days ago but I don't know if they are helping, I'm not noticing much of a difference. She only gave me enough for a few days. I'm probably not going to take any more of them unless I get obvious anxiety or panic, I'm just feeling blue and down and like everything is useless.

I'm back at home now as its my fathers anniversary today. I think my mother knows something is wrong as she said almost instantly that I looked tired and pale. Not surprising seeing how I have been feeling this week and I haven't been eating much this last few days. I packed some extra clothes as to be honest, I'm not sure if I will go back to the city. I have Monday booked off work so I may stay here until then and if things don't get better, go see my regular GP on Monday morning. I just really don't want to tell my family that I seem to be suffering depression and anxiety and I really don't want them to know what's triggered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Lexapro is anti-depressant, yeah. Common thing to happen with Cipramil too.
    I can relate to this. Its common on anti despressants pal
    Suas11 wrote: »
    I'm on Lexapro and I've had that too.

The Fluoxetine will do that to you lads.

keep the chins up, it's important to get the mind healthy and then the body will come along in unison.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Maybe staying on the meds for a while longer will be a good idea.
    Xanax worked for me I have to say, well the thoughts were still there but I wasnt climbing up the walls which is always a bonus.

I think it might be a good idea to talk to your hometown gp and see about getting a few days off, although it can be a bad idea having too much spare time on your hands, as Skyboxer said getting your mind healthy is more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I just wanted to remind you guys that whatever you may feel at the moment, you're not a lost cause or a permanently broken thing. Things can change rapidly so just hang in there and keep battling away. I'm rooting for you guys.

Thanks for your post. The part in bold is how I have felt for a LONG time. The thing is I have been depressed and anxious for as long as I can remember, even more than your average twenty something. As a result, I find it hard to see life any differently. I am trying to believe it and I'm attending a new counsellor on Thursday, who I think can give me some guidance. I have always felt something mentally in me is damaged. (I know, strong words, but that's all I can say). I can't hold down many friendship/casual acquaintances or date without them eventually realising I am a socially anxious guy who has so much emotional baggage (on antidepressants the past year to handle it in the short term) and that I'm better off not in their lives in the long term. As a result, I tend to ruminate and am left alone with my thoughts and insecurities, especially ones relating to why people except my family don't really get me and how being gay on top of that makes life tougher.

Then, this idea of being emotionally damaged translates not just to my personal and awkward social life but my professional life. I am trying to find a job as a graduate arts degree holder but nobody seems to care or give me a chance, because there are so many other people with better experience/ well rounded minds than me from Ireland and other countries like Brazil, etc).

Sorry for the rant. I'm currently getting ready to go to a family dinner tonight and I'm just sick of the whole 'you have a great life ahead of you'/ sentimental s**t that I will get. Like hopefully I will be moving abroad to start a new life but I struggle always with my moods and get anxious over what the future holds.

Take care everybody :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Thanks for your post. The part in bold is how I have felt for a LONG time. The thing is I have been depressed and anxious for as long as I can remember, even more than your average twenty something. As a result, I find it hard to see life any differently.

<snip>

Take care everybody :)

The reason I said the part you bolded is because that is exactly how I feel whenever I get a particularly bad bout, and it makes things infinitely worse - that idea that there's no coming back.

I've suffered with depression since I was about 11 or 12, but I've been fortunate enough that in amongst some of the extreme lows, there are more manageable medium lows and even (sometimes long) stretches where I'm completely fine. I'm so glad I have that, it offers me respite and time to gather my strength for the next time. I can only imagine how tough it must be not to have those breaks.

But the thing is, and I think this is very important, at times I have felt utterly destroyed. I've felt like something crucial in my mind had been broken, that the wires were scrambled in such a way that it could never be undone. And then I've woken up one morning and been... normal again. Just regular old me again.

I think it's so important that you, or anyone suffering, knows that. It can be undone, it can be undone quite rapidly. The problem is that the treatment that works seems to be different for almost every person, so you just need to keep going, keep seeking help, keep going to your doctor, keep doing the things they advise, keep talking to people, keep believing that you can get through it. One day you'll wake up and the fog will have lifted, even just a little, and things will have started to turn around and it will all have been worth it.

I just snipped the quote so that people wouldn't have to scroll too much. :)

Feeling a bit better today yesterday was a dark enough day for me. I'm just gonna chill for the night and not let negative thoughts get in the way. When I'm down I have a tendency to be really hard on myself which I've got to stop doing. It's not my fault that I can be great and have bundles of energy and a week later be mentally and physically exhausted, it's just my condition or illness whatever I don't like calling it an illness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Fed up. Lately I can't seem to motivate myself to do anything, particularly since the weather got so miserable. I don't seem to want to leave the house at all. I still go in to work and college but it's almost like I'm just going through the motions and although I do come into social contact with people there, again I just find myself going through the motions. I feel so exhausted all the time and constantly teary, have cried several times over the last few weeks over silly things! Like I said other than work or college, I am finding I can't motivate myself to leave the house at all. I used to love a nice long walk in the evenings but couldn't face up to it now. The last couple of nights I've ordered takeaway because I had nothing in the house and couldn't face the thoughts of going to the shop. And even today, I had the whole day off and never left this house, despite the fridge being empty, one look outside and I couldn't face the short trip to the shop even just to buy bread and milk. I know it sounds like I'm just being lazy but it's more than that, I just feel miserable and not up do doing anything, and I know it's a vicious cycle because diet and exercise are important in staying on top of depression but I just can't face anything at the moment, all I seem to want to do is curl up and hide myself away. I haven't felt this low in a long time.

• Advertisement

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Fed up. Lately I can't seem to motivate myself to do anything, particularly since the weather got so miserable. I don't seem to want to leave the house at all. I still go in to work and college but it's almost like I'm just going through the motions and although I do come into social contact with people there, again I just find myself going through the motions. I feel so exhausted all the time and constantly teary, have cried several times over the last few weeks over silly things! Like I said other than work or college, I am finding I can't motivate myself to leave the house at all. I used to love a nice long walk in the evenings but couldn't face up to it now. The last couple of nights I've ordered takeaway because I had nothing in the house and couldn't face the thoughts of going to the shop. And even today, I had the whole day off and never left this house, despite the fridge being empty, one look outside and I couldn't face the short trip to the shop even just to buy bread and milk. I know it sounds like I'm just being lazy but it's more than that, I just feel miserable and not up do doing anything, and I know it's a vicious cycle because diet and exercise are important in staying on top of depression but I just can't face anything at the moment, all I seem to want to do is curl up and hide myself away. I haven't felt this low in a long time.

Hi... do you take medication or have you spoke to a GP about it.
    Dont be ashamed because its overpowering you at the moment and it happens At least you are aware of it and you know it will pass.

Advertisement