Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Karsini wrote: »
    I've had pain in my left shoulder area for the last few months. Doctor Google would tell me I'm having a heart attack! My actual doctor has told me it's a muscle injury..

I'd deeply worry about anyone who thought they'd been having a heart attack for the past few months... :pac:

Google has its uses. Mainly for me with side effects, especially withdrawal symptoms for certain medications that I've been on. It's comforting to find out that some distressing symptom you have is probably being caused by a medicine you're taking rather than some sudden severe illness. Depending on what it is will tell you how soon to talk to your doctor about it, but at least it can give you a potential cause that isn't as scary. The one I most vividly remember is very intensive itching (I was bleeding from scratching so much) that happened to me when I was coming down off Seroquel. It wasn't on the leaflet of the drug (withdrawal effects rarely are) but I found it listed on a reputable medical site as a withdrawal effect that would go away (which is better than some skin disease or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Today seems to be a thinking day...I seem to be having them everyday lately. On medication a month on Tuesday.

I'd love to think like "normal" people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Start new role tomorrow, kinda anxious

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Chiquitita wrote: »
    Today seems to be a thinking day...I seem to be having them everyday lately. On medication a month on Tuesday.

Did you ask ur doc about the day hospital?

Going to see him tomorrow so going to definitely ask. How are you?

• Advertisement

I havent been on here in a few weeks. I had planned to come back on withy positive story of how much better I am feeling.
    I wish!! My new psych doc finally diagnosed me with GAD. I really couldnt understand this as I was very depressed and and past experiences and god awful thoughts are going through my head plus all I seem to be doing is crying because I really am struggling. I attend a day hospital and I was doing ok when I was knocked back further by a chest infection.

The anxiety I am feeling is a constant trembling on the inside especially my neck/throat which is completley different to previous episodes. I am going into my 6th week of my new meds which were upped from 75mg to 150mg 2 weeks ago and I have noticed no difference. I am on mertazipine 45mg and efexor 150mg and lyrica 175mg. 75 in the morning then 50mg in tje afternoon and 50 in before bed. These are a non addictive tablet for anxiety but I really think I should be on a higher dosage. I need to have a word with my psych doc on tiesday as the day hospital are arranging a family meetibg for me.

TOnight for the first time in months I went for a walk and I feel no benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Went and gave myself food poisoning. Hope you guys are feeling better than I am lol.

Thats something that makes a diagnosis hard in my opinion. Im pretty sure I have an anxiety disorder which in turn is making me feel so blue.
    Sorry to hear that you're struggling. Going to the day hospital will hopefully give you some relief very very soon, im hoping it does.

Ask your doc what he thinks about your medication and see what he says. Also no harm in getting him to explain them to you fully.

Exercise does work alas getting your mind to shut up long enough to do it is another story. The happiest time for me is when im fast asleep, thats not good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mister_Happy

Some great advice on here guys and it helps knowing that I'm not the only 1 that feels crappy from time to time.
    Over the last few years I've been up & down mostly down but the funny thing is there is no specific reason as to why!!
    One day great, next day I don't wanna even get up. Getting Dodgy stomach & bad skin. I didn't want to tell anyone about it or show it. (I really should have an Oscar by now for my acting skills).

In the Summer I mindfully made the decision to do something about it, deliberately stop negative thoughts and think about things in a completely new way, I started exercising & boy did that all work. I felt like a whole new person. Feeling fit, happy & doing different things. Eating what I wanted & skin was great. Getting up early & embracing the new day.

Then towards the end of last year I had a couple of crappy days, let my guard down & allowed the negative thoughts to flood back. I stopped exercising & like that I was back to square 1, feeling like sh*t & stressed, worrying about things that never happened & staying in doing nothing. The smallest task seemed huge, appetite gone & skin went crazy again.
    Sometimes the voice from the Summer would pop into my head & say 'Get up, lets get back to how it used to be', but the main voice in my head grunted 'Couldnt be arsed'!

Thankfully that voice from last Summer has been getting louder of late and I'm starting to listen to it more. I've come to realise that I'll have my ups & downs but if I'm prepared them downs wont be so bad.
    - Talk to someone, even opening up about it on places like here is great as the support is unreal.
    - Exercise!! as stated in earlier posts, get out and do something, may it be a walk, run, crawl or swim.
    - smile, laugh, do things you enjoy.

Excuse the ramble but hopefully someone reading this can relate to it and feel better themselves just the same way I have from reading countless other posts here. (As I read them I always think, 'Me too', 'I'm the same', 'you just described me mate').

So it gets better!!

Thats something that makes a diagnosis hard in my opinion. Im pretty sure I have an anxiety disorder which in turn is making me feel so blue.
    Sorry to hear that you're struggling. Going to the day hospital will hopefully give you some relief very very soon, im hoping it does.

Ask your doc what he thinks about your medication and see what he says. Also no harm in getting him to explain them to you fully.

Exercise does work alas getting your mind to shut up long enough to do it is another story. The happiest time for me is when im fast asleep, thats not good :(

Heres your brother. I am defo going to mention the meds to the doc on tuesday. I went for a walk today so IIneed to build on that. Mention lyrica to ur doc and see what they say its non afdictive. Look it up. This has by far been the worst episode/ experience of my life. If I can get through this I will get through anything.

• Advertisement

Thats something I think about a lot too, Chiquitta, that Im happiest when sleeping. Horrible feeling, when trying to live a normal life.
    Id say a lot us feel that way

How is everyone today? Very quiet on here lately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Really, really, really bad today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

How is everyone today? Very quiet on here lately :(

Not bad freezing though ran out of gas so waiting for husband to come home from shop with topup. Emotionally not bad but I am aware my son is off school for a week next week and so there will be a change in routine which I never look forward to but am sure it will be fine. I also see the psychiatrist next week and haven't been in with her since late October. How are you Glesso?

Sorry to hear this (virtual hug for you)

lukesmom wrote: »
    Not bad freezing though ran out of gas so waiting for husband to come home from shop with topup. Emotionally not bad but I am aware my son is off school for a week next week and so there will be a change in routine which I never look forward to but am sure it will be fine. I also see the psychiatrist next week and haven't been in with her since late October. How are you Glesso?

Im still sstruggling to be honest. Still focusing on negative things and 6 weeks on the new meds and nothing. I see the psych doc on friday so I will have a chat then. how are you?

Whats up? Does ye have a therapist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

You'll feel better soon. Talk to someone, it always lightens the load. Try snorting like a pig - it vibrates the base of the brain and induces laughter (or at least a smile).

Im still sstruggling to be honest. Still focusing on negative things and 6 weeks on the new meds and nothing. I see the psych doc on friday so I will have a chat then. how are you?

I'm good, I see my psych next week and psychology on Friday.

• Advertisement

Free CBT from Aware

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hibernating in bed today. Feeling quite anxious. I'll be out and about tomorrow hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Just had a look at the Aware site (for some reason never occurred to me until now) and they have a support group not 10mins from my house.

Anyone have any experience of these groups?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just had a look at the Aware site (for some reason never occurred to me until now) and they have a support group not 10mins from my house.

Yes, I go to an Aware group and they are very helpful - great to get things off your mind. I would recommend checking your local group meeting out.

No but I've heard they are very good.

I signed up to 1...nervous but excited :o

Yes, they're very good. Everybody in the group has good advice given in good faith and just being there is help in itself. I've just applied to be a volunteer, seems like a good use of my time.

Fair play for volunteering. Hope it goes well for you :)

The other day my therapist gave me a tip and it's working for me so I said i'd share.

For me I have a few particular things that make me anxious in that I always think of them. The therapist said to allot a certain time of the day to think about these things. So, if they come into my head during the day I imagine a door and I say to myself i'll think about these at whatever time. She also said to write about them at the particular time if I feel like it. I havent done that yet but pushing them away until im "allowed" think about them is working. Well, it's small steps but they're good steps.

Hope it works for others and hope you're all well. Bed time! :)

Fair play for volunteering. Hope it goes well for you :)

The other day my therapist gave me a tip and it's working for me so I said i'd share.

For me I have a few particular things that make me anxious in that I always think of them. The therapist said to allot a certain time of the day to think about these things. So, if they come into my head during the day I imagine a door and I say to myself i'll think about these at whatever time. She also said to write about them at the particular time if I feel like it. I havent done that yet but pushing them away until im "allowed" think about them is working. Well, it's small steps but they're good steps.

Hope it works for others and hope you're all well. Bed time! :)

I used to be a counsellor so I'm looking forward to getting back into helping people change their behaviour for the better.

Allotting a time of day to worries is a good idea, just be sure to allot less time every day. Pushing worries away is an excellent idea - shrink the size of the images, turn down the sounds, spin the feeling the other way... they all work wonders. The trick is to build up a tool box (or chocolate box) of techniques.

• Advertisement

Im into my 3rd week of the aware lifeskills programme. Its fantastic for relapse prevention but I wouldnt recommend it if you are going through a tough episode. You wont benefit fully. The aware support groups are excellent and I intend to start going to the aware support group next week. I recommend going to them.

Advertisement