Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Gleeso that sounds cool! Fair play! Do you really enjoy it? So what if you dont leave the house much other than these activities. You've been through a lot and slowly slowly you'll find that you're going out more and more. Your medication is still only building up also.
    The fact that you leave the house at all is a big step :) others take it for granted, but eh its kind of a big deal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Increasing meds don't always help. Also you might be on the highest dose of that med. Generally docs don't fluff around and get people to the 'best' dose for depression.
    If it's that, taking more will be ineffective.

Its ok to cry, you shouldn't fight that. If you need to cry, cry.

But what you need to start doing is showing yourself that you're feeling better. If others have noticed..that probably means you're having more energy lately? being more active? more conversational?

Also, do you talk about the thoughts that bring you down?
    What is it you're thinking? Why? and where did it come from?
    (you don't have to tell us...but knowing why we're thinking something can often be enough to stop thinking that.)

The next step is setting yourself a goal, importantly one that you look forward to.

My short term goal is getting fitter via cycling. My long term is getting a job, so I can afford my own horse.

Goals keep you focused, and give you a reason to fight.
    I find it's important to fight for yourself, and not because of friends/family, as that can feel like unwanted pressure and that I'm a failure to them.
    Chiquitita wrote: »
    Gleeso if it's any consolation im feeling the EXACT same. Giving it two weeks then going to have to say it to psych.
    Ive even tried exercising but I find that my mind wanders so much that i'm in a tizzy.

This evening im going to sit beside the fire, read the paper and watch the soaps. I know that I enjoy that, if only I could SHUT my thoughts and just take it for what it is without letting my mind go insane
    Gleeso that sounds cool! Fair play! Do you really enjoy it? So what if you dont leave the house much other than these activities. You've been through a lot and slowly slowly you'll find that you're going out more and more. Your medication is still only building up also.
    The fact that you leave the house at all is a big step :) others take it for granted, but eh its kind of a big deal :P

I only kind if enjoy it chiq.
    Doing me head in that I dont enjoy things as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hey all. I've been good the past while although my brothers anniversary of his death is coming up the end of this month it's a tough time. My mother was given lexapro by her gp and started them last week. She's 70. She's been having the usual start up side effects yawning, nausea, buzzed up etc. while I know they will subside I hate the thoughts of my mother getting them :( she's just got over cancer and starts radiotherapy this week. However her gp was right to prescribe these tabs as she needs something longer term instead of just xanax prn. X

Struggling at the moment.

Since switching to my new meds over 2 months ago I still dont feel right at all and the psych docs and nurses in the day hospital continue to highlight how well equipped I am with my broad knowledge of my illness and what helps.

I am trying to use the cbt skills I learned at the lifeskills programme but I am constantly on edge I can honestly feel something isnt right upstairs and everytime that I mention an increase in my anti depressant they tell me they dont think it will help. I am fighting with my thoughts and feelings every second of every day. This morning I just cant hold it in and I sit here crying my eyes out.

There has been a slight improvement in my mood over the weeks and friends and family have said it to me that I seem in better form. But I just dont feel it.

Sick of this.

After two months you should be feeling a lot better, I would ask for an increase or change in meds or to be referred to a different psychiatrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭glass_onion

• Advertisement

Thanks for sharing that. I have a friend with schizophrenia and it's a very tough illness. Brilliant article.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hey all. I've been good the past while although my brothers anniversary of his death is coming up the end of this month it's a tough time. My mother was given lexapro by her gp and started them last week. She's 70. She's been having the usual start up side effects yawning, nausea, buzzed up etc. while I know they will subside I hate the thoughts of my mother getting them :( she's just got over cancer and starts radiotherapy this week. However her gp was right to prescribe these tabs as she needs something longer term instead of just xanax prn. X

Lukesmom sorry to hear that you're having a tough time, you're in my thoughts tonight x and your poor mum, we all know the absolute yuckiness of waiting for the medication to kick in without all the start up side effects. Remind her that although hard to believe now, they'll make her feel less anxious. Send her our boardsie love :)

Take good care of yourself too x

Thanks for sharing that. Comforting to read someone be so open and honest. She should be praised :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Hows everyone today?

Is there anyone here that suffer with GAD or despression in result of GAD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

DeVore wrote: »
    Yep, I've been fighting that all week. Kinda like I'm actively looking for things to be "hurt" about. Someone couldnt chat yesterday on the phone and said "I'll ring you back later". No sign of them and now I'm trying not to be peeved about it, especially thinking snarky things to say when the truth is that probably just forgot and its no big deal. Then I start to get down on myself for being like this. Cos yeah, thats a great response Tom. :)

I think we have all had times like that, I dunno what to say but to send e-hugs and hope it soon passes, cos it will.

Sorry didn't reply before. I'm glad I posted now, don't have many people I can turn to at the moment. It was a rough couple of days spent almost 3 in my bedroom straight but finally got out for a walk and it was like a big fog lifted. The difference the simple things can make! Things are a lot better now and communicating with my housemates again! DeVore Gleeso Finglas and lukesmom I appreciate your understanding it really helped that evening too so thanks.

arf91 wrote: »
    Sorry didn't reply before. I'm glad I posted now, don't have many people I can turn to at the moment. It was a rough couple of days spent almost 3 in my bedroom straight but finally got out for a walk and it was like a big fog lifted. The difference the simple things can make! Things are a lot better now and communicating with my housemates again! DeVore Gleeso Finglas and lukesmom I appreciate your understanding it really helped that evening too so thanks.

Any time..... glad to see you are functioning again. Go you :)

Hows everyone today?

Is there anyone here that suffer with GAD or despression in result of GAD?

Yes that was my exact diagnosis, depression as a result of GAD.

arf91 wrote: »

So glad you got outside for a walk and it must have cleared your head somewhat. X

It has never been diagnosed but I have general anxiety disorder (as well as other anxiety related things). I've never discussed all the symptoms with my psychiatrist so that's why.
    The prozac is definitely helping with that though, even if my thoughts are still here.

Hope the evening is going well for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

loubian wrote: »

It's usually a matter of trying different doctors until you find one that you get on with, especially with schizophrenia. Our mental health system isn't really set up to deal with schizophrenia effectively. Schizophrenics tend to come off their medication at random, which causes untold problems, convincing them to go back on is a nightmare in itself. The usual solution, which works fairly well, is to keep trying new medications, or vary the dosage of the current meds, until a balance is reached, Once the balance is reached the person can begin to learn how to control their thoughts with CBT etc. It's very much an individual thing - some people can get control of it in their 20s, others in their 60s.

The problem with schizophrenia is that it affects everyone in the family, and the family mood affects the person, causing a feedback loop where the family's attitude can actually cause the person's symptoms to reappear. There have been cases where one schizophrenic person was living with the family of another schizophrenic person, who was in hospital. After a few weeks the visitor had taken on the symptoms of the guy who was in hospital. It's real pity that psychiatrists don't mention the need of the schizophrenic to get out of the family dynamic. It's dysfunctional family thing.

(To qualify the above about psychiatrists, schizophrenia is the single most difficult mental health issue to treat effectively.)

Whatever about mental health in general being somewhat an unspoken thing, although that outdated attitude is clearly changing, the attitude towards those with schizophrenia is still the same.

Theres not enough understanding of the condition. Im even reluctant to use words that people might describe it as someone here might be schizophrenic and be sensitive. But yes, from any professional that i've spoken to about mental health they all say the same.

It's usually a matter of trying different doctors until you find one that you get on with, especially with schizophrenia. Our mental health system isn't really set up to deal with schizophrenia effectively. Schizophrenics tend to come off their medication at random, which causes untold problems, convincing them to go back on is a nightmare in itself. The usual solution, which works fairly well, is to keep trying new medications, or vary the dosage of the current meds, until a balance is reached, Once the balance is reached the person can begin to learn how to control their thoughts with CBT etc. It's very much an individual thing - some people can get control of it in their 20s, others in their 60s.

The problem with schizophrenia is that it affects everyone in the family, and the family mood affects the person, causing a feedback loop where the family's attitude can actually cause the person's symptoms to reappear. There have been cases where one schizophrenic person was living with the family of another schizophrenic person, who was in hospital. After a few weeks the visitor had taken on the symptoms of the guy who was in hospital. It's real pity that psychiatrists don't mention the need of the schizophrenic to get out of the family dynamic. It's dysfunctional family thing.

(To qualify the above about psychiatrists, schizophrenia is the single most difficult mental health issue to treat effectively.)

So true. A friends brother with schizophrenia ends up back in hospital every now and again due to stopping his meds, same with a few bipolar friends I have.

Whatever about mental health in general being somewhat an unspoken thing, although that outdated attitude is clearly changing, the attitude towards those with schizophrenia is still the same.

Theres not enough understanding of the condition.

To be crude, full blown uncontrolled schizophrenia is similar to having a bad trip on LSD all the time. The brain can experience hallucinations under normal conditions (i.e, at the edge of sleep), but someone with schizophrenia doesn't have that automatic control that kicks in to tell them that the hallucination isn't real. Interestingly, children don't have that control either and most experience hallucinations all the time without a problem. This points to a neurochemical imbalance, which gets all the more interesting when doctors discovered that putting people with schizophrenia on dialysis gets rid of the schizophrenia. Sadly, dialysis is neither a practical nor permanent cure.

The search goes on.

Things have been terrible for me the past couple of weeks. Feeling absolutely awful now too. :(

I'm due a counselling session on Thursday but I think it'll be the last time with my current counsellor. I think I need something more serious but I'm worried that I won't be able to commit to it. I'm definitely in that "I'm beyond fixing" mindset.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Things have been terrible for me the past couple of weeks. Feeling absolutely awful now too. :(

I'm due a counselling session on Thursday but I think it'll be the last time with my current counsellor. I think I need something more serious but I'm worried that I won't be able to commit to it. I'm definitely in that "I'm beyond fixing" mindset.

I'd suggest telling your new counsellor that you're willing to commit to 3 sessions. A good counsellor will be able to make significant progress in three sessions in my experience, and if they're amenable to your proposal it shows their flexibility.

To be crude, full blown uncontrolled schizophrenia is similar to having a bad trip on LSD all the time. The brain can experience hallucinations under normal conditions (i.e, at the edge of sleep), but someone with schizophrenia doesn't have that automatic control that kicks in to tell them that the hallucination isn't real. Interestingly, children don't have that control either and most experience hallucinations all the time without a problem. This points to a neurochemical imbalance, which gets all the more interesting when doctors discovered that putting people with schizophrenia on dialysis gets rid of the schizophrenia. Sadly, dialysis is neither a practical nor permanent cure.

The search goes on.

I understand what you're saying. I imagine it must be very frightening when schizophrenics are aware of their thoughts, just like that girl described. I suppose what I meant is that people with schizophrenia shouldnt automatically be feared. It's also a word that a lot of people (who has absolutely NO clue whatsoever about mental health) use to insult people. Just last weekend I saw a guy trying to chat up a girl and she wasnt interested so she decided to call him schizophrenic. I must admit I was tempted to give her a clatter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I haven't posted here recently. I have now been weaned off Sertraline and I'm feeling great :). I would even say I feel better without it than I did on it eventually. My sleeping pattern is back to normal and I'm not tired all the time. I am motivated as well. I've a job interview in the morning too. Things are looking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I had the same experience Reik, had no idea how the cumulative meds had really interfered with normal functioning more than they were worth until I stopped.

I wouldn't for a second advise anyone on it, but for me, there were no positives and a whole lot of negatives which I had normalised to without realising.

Hows Wednesday going for you all?

Hows Wednesday going for you all?

Riddled with anxiety and im due to shoot the ireland game tonight. Its pissin me off as I am anxious about doing things I nrmally love. Hows u?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Went on a walk to the shop, was anxious but I did it

Are you able to get motivated at all? From experience, even though right now I dont believe the words I type, that all the things you enjoy will SLOWLY start to make you feel good again.

Guess it just sucks when you'd like it to return now instead of feeling ****. Im taking zyprexa and it seems to work when im feeling anxious, which is all the time really.
    I really hope that you get the energy to do your work tonight and that you enjoy it :) tell the anxiety to EFF OFF! :p

Well done pink, thats not always as easy as it sounds so you should congratulate yourself. I hope you got yourself something nice!

• Advertisement

Have a listen to this, I like it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7yCLn-O-Y0

Advertisement