Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Lyrab23 wrote: »
    They interviewed us separately on arrival which was distressing. They told him to cop on. That I shouldn't be out of work for this and it was ridiculous. That I would leave him if he continued this behaviour (couldn't actually believe that they said that) and that his diagnosis there and then was that he was bi-polar. And to go home!

unfortunately, there are some horrible docs/people working in mental health, and large number still do not understand it.

I was abused by my biological father, to get on disability(I wasn't entitle to illness...>.>...), I had to see a psychiatrist. This quack was male, foreign(Pakistan I think, that kind of accent anyway.) Now foreign doesn't bother me, but when I they can't understand what I'm saying/what the words I'm using mean.. (when I'm already nervous/emotion/scared to speak...thats pretty horrible). I have felt numb/empty/dissaciative. I told him that and he looked at me as if I had 2 heads. He was asking other questions and I struggled to explain, he then something, Ill never forget and it pissed me off greatly. he said "trust me, think of me as your father" ...It's not like my history wasn't in the file he was reading!!!! ..I walked straight out. One it implied that my difficult explaining was out of trust and not out of a communication barrier, and 2, holy fcuks dude... you read only 10 minutes ago my history..out loud to me, no less. [He was fired a few months after, thankfully]

___
    Another instance of health professionals, not being professional.
    My mom (bpd, extreme anxiety), ended up in ER. totally out of it. (think autistic 'episode') The nurses refused to talk to me. Kept trying to talk to my mom, who's getting more anxious/panicky. Talking to her like a child. Then getting angry at her, trying to hold her down(which wasn't necessary til they got angry.) All the while continuously ignoring me! I'm trying to explain whats going, if they had listened, it wouldn't have been half as difficult/stressing. It also would have taken 5 minutes and not nearly an hour til a doc finally spoke to ME.

I also have noticed some docs refuse to take any other conditions serious if you have a mental health issue.
    I had a GP who I complained about struggling to breathe when exercising. I wanted to do tests and find out. And she brushes it off as panic, places me on some random inhealer as I continue to insist it's not anxiety related.
    It wasn't until I changed docs that that was taken serious, I'm now on an inhaler that works and have been told I have "exercise induced asthma"(and still doing tests). My current GP didn't once think "ah you don't know, you're just panicking".. yeah like I panic only when doing cardio >.>)

(sorry for the rant, just wanted to share[needed to?] the negative experiences I've had with docs.
    I will say though, Ireland is increasing mental health services and understanding. And I've met more good docs/nurses than bad!)

Suggest to him to think of meds like diabetics take insulin. They might have to be on it for life, but it's through no fault of their own.
    Or like lacking iron/any mineral/vitamin, ..and sometimes you have to take a supplement for an unknown amount of time. Sometimes for years. It doesn't mean you're weaker/broken/guilty/useless etc. It means for one reason or another your body isn't absorbing/producing what it needs.
    There's a reason why anti-ds work, and thats because depression has biological affects. Whats not known is, if depression triggers the chemical imbalances, or the chemical imbalances trigger depression. Probably both interconnected in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Getting loads of help saw the learning support person gonna get help with trying to catch up getting a plan an she's gonna get me in touch with the peer mentor to help me get to know others. I asked if I could switch tutorials hopefully I'm able to so I can get to know others it's awkward enough trying to avoid them. I've learnt I have to write things down if I need to express my feelings everytime I talk about them I get all teary eyed nearly crying I hate people seeing me cry. I have more control over my emotions when I've written it down .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Speaking of bad psychiatrists last year when I was extremely suicidal and at my wits end after trying multiple courses of different meds, a stupid Indian psychiatrist laughed at me when I told her how bad I felt. She was very sarcastic and said 'haha we've tried you on so many now lukesmom haha maybe it's just you or something, I've nothing else I can think of for you, nothing is working' -,me bawling crying and she was basically telling me I had come to a dead end. This is while I was in hospital in a psychiatric unit! She mysteriously left and a brilliant new psychiatrist came.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

lukesmom wrote: »
    Speaking of bad psychiatrists last year when I was extremely suicidal and at my wits end after trying multiple courses of different meds, a stupid Indian psychiatrist laughed at me when I told her how bad I felt. She was very sarcastic and said 'haha we've tried you on so many now lukesmom haha maybe it's just you or something, I've nothing else I can think of for you, nothing is working' -,me bawling crying and she was basically telling me I had come to a dead end. This is while I was in hospital in a psychiatric unit! She mysteriously left and a brilliant new psychiatrist came.

That sounds odd, is it not possible she was trying to be light-hearted for a moment, even though that would be insensitive, I can't imagine a doctor laughing AT someone as you described!

• Advertisement

I just burned myself out this week. Had what I thought was a positive week, getting results for my dissertation....except they weren't much good as it turns out. I can't help putting a huge weight on academic achievements and what my CV looks like, because I feel like I have nothing else to offer the world. I'm already stuck with "just" a 2.2 degree (that I would not have done if I could go back in time) and grinding out an MSc is proving extremely difficult right now. People say these things are meant to be challenging but seeing peers succeed where you fall just makes me feel completely useless. And yeah, I know people go onto do great things without any sort of college education.....but those people obviously had some other sort of talent or passion that I don't, so it's not any consolation.

It really feels like I'm never gonna be good enough at anything. Or good enough for anyone. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I've had a doctor laugh at me before over me expressing concern of my potential for getting cancer. Apparently I should have known that the type i was talking about isn't genetic. Silly me asking a doctor of all people such questions

That sounds odd, is it not possible she was trying to be light-hearted for a moment, even though that would be insensitive, I can't imagine a doctor laughing AT someone as you described!

No and there were several complaints including one by myself made to management about her. As I said she then disappeared. She had absolutely no empathy it was shocking really.

Took a day off today. Got absolutely nothing done but felt like I needed it. I just hope my confidence and energy return tomorrow...

They usually don't on their own, or it will take a long time through passivity. Action whether psychological or physical will get you there faster. But I completely understand, I just had and am having a turgid time and I have more than once let myself fall into the '**** everything' mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

When I find that kinda "sluggish" feeling, I try to achieve one simple, single, discreet thing and that makes me feel like "right, lets get stuff done!"

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Ive started to do that too, today's thing was going to the shop to buy fabric dye. Sat in the car for 30 mins before I got the courage to go in.

Hope you're keeping well Dev!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone lese find when they are confronted by a problem or a nasty person just telling them what they want to hear to get them out of your face. I am having a major issue with a couple of people at the moment one in particular is in a position where they can help me and in fact that is their job yet as I have been unable/unwilling to do what they have asked me to do the relationship has baulked completely.

I am stuck trying to do college essays and have tried in many ways to gain help to do them including from this person who previously arranged help for me with another set of work before christmas to which through my poxy anxiety I couldn't do the work a couple of times I more or less said I was having issues with my work load and this person who is supposed to be a motivational type support means for me said well why are you in college, I don't like to say I am being bullied but it is closer to that than being supported, I find myself thinking again what is the point of all of this, why am I subjecting myself to such stress and ****.

I have always been a colossal failure at everything I do as I let the voices tell me if you can't do it right don't do it at all. People keep telling me I am well capable of doing this and that, all I feel like doing is picking up something heavy and bashing them over the head with it. I am afraid of doing anything as I have failed so many times, soon the fear will win out and I will do no more, that day is close now I can feel it.

Anyone lese find when they are confronted by a problem or a nasty person just telling them what they want to hear to get them out of your face. I am having a major issue with a couple of people at the moment one in particular is in a position where they can help me and in fact that is their job yet as I have been unable/unwilling to do what they have asked me to do the relationship has baulked completely.

I am stuck trying to do college essays and have tried in many ways to gain help to do them including from this person who previously arranged help for me with another set of work before christmas to which through my poxy anxiety I couldn't do the work a couple of times I more or less said I was having issues with my work load and this person who is supposed to be a motivational type support means for me said well why are you in college, I don't like to say I am being bullied but it is closer to that than being supported, I find myself thinking again what is the point of all of this, why am I subjecting myself to such stress and ****.

I have always been a colossal failure at everything I do as I let the voices tell me if you can't do it right don't do it at all. People keep telling me I am well capable of doing this and that, all I feel like doing is picking up something heavy and bashing them over the head with it. I am afraid of doing anything as I have failed so many times, soon the fear will win out and I will do no more, that day is close now I can feel it.

Complain about this person to whoever is above them. Tell them how they're making you feel.

Also colleges have counsellors, you may find it easier to complain to them, and ask them to organise a switch.of.. a tutor?(sounds like you have tutor who has the attitude of "others can do it, so should you". Horrible attitude and really impedes learning).

Also, sometimes taking a break from it all is the best thing. Maybe take a year out?
    I found I burnt out. I was failing because I just "couldn't" learn anymore.... The break has done wonders. It gave me time to just rest and work on my insecurity/other issues.

tbh it is a counsellor type person rather than a tutor that is causing the issue, I am very afraid of complaining as I fear I will either be fobbed off as I am not doing my work to a satisfactory standard, also I will be taking a break but need to finish this year first, I have a lot of stuff going on and am unable to do what I need to do at the moment in anything really.

this person knows what is going on and doesn't really seem to give a ****, which to be frank is to be expected as it is not really there job to care, however I just wish they would cut me some slack instead of making things very difficult for me.

I am mine own worst enemy in that I tend to alienate myself with people, I am very paranoid too when situations tend to go bad I think people are out to get me, generally I am spot on with this assumption, being a near 32 year old student with amongst others Aspergers, mental health issues, being semi homeless and a total inferiority complex to begin with has not helped when having to go to people looking for help, I find most look through me not giving a fcuk, the worst part is it drives me to suicidal thoughts asking for help, making me question the point of everything really, my life is a maze I just can't seem to get out of.

tbh it is a counsellor type person rather than a tutor that is causing the issue, I am very afraid of complaining as I fear I will either be fobbed off as I am not doing my work to a satisfactory standard, also I will be taking a break but need to finish this year first, I have a lot of stuff going on and am unable to do what I need to do at the moment in anything really.

this person knows what is going on and doesn't really seem to give a ****, which to be frank is to be expected as it is not really there job to care, however I just wish they would cut me some slack instead of making things very difficult for me.

I am mine own worst enemy in that I tend to alienate myself with people, I am very paranoid too when situations tend to go bad I think people are out to get me, generally I am spot on with this assumption, being a near 32 year old student with amongst others Aspergers, mental health issues, being semi homeless and a total inferiority complex to begin with has not helped when having to go to people looking for help, I find most look through me not giving a fcuk, the worst part is it drives me to suicidal thoughts asking for help, making me question the point of everything really, my life is a maze I just can't seem to get out of.

If it's a counsellor type person it is their job to care, if you don't want to complain. Just tell the person above that the 2 of ye aren't working well together and you'd like to switch.

You may also benefit from CBT and an actual consellor.

If it's a counsellor type person it is their job to care, if you don't want to complain. Just tell the person above that the 2 of ye aren't working well together and you'd like to switch.

You may also benefit from CBT and an actual consellor.

My cbt fell through as I am too busy trying to finish this year in college and couldn't work out a schedule, think I will start looking for a therapist soon though, I need help to work out my issues before they consume me.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Watching tv in bed today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

It's very reassuring to have everyone communicating about their personal challenges on this thread. I'm impressed with the openness and honesty shown, and I can see that everyone who posts here feels better for doing it. The very act of communicating your thoughts makes the challenges easier to face.

If you're interested now, I'm writing articles to help people feel better about themselves. Due to a lack of time there are only two articles right now, both focusing on improving your mood, but I'll be writing more over the next few months to help with anxiety and other challenges.

http://mindyourselfdublin.blogspot.ie/

Please leave any comments on what you'd like me to cover in future and how useful the articles are to you. All feedback is very useful. I hope I'm allowed to post the link, but I'll take it down if there are any objections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Hi everybody,

I'm a first time poster here but long time lurker as they say.

You've all been of much help already insofar you've encouraged me to go see my GP and have an open discussion with him. The result of which has been me taking Sertraline for nearly a month now. I'm not quite sure just yet how it's working for me although Mrs. W seems to think it's doing something and I guess she'd be in a prime position to judge. If anything I guess I'm feeling more stable insofar I used to get terrible mood swings and would feel very very angry about silly things.

I was off work for a while starting the medication and last week was the first week where I was back to work, working from home mostly but friday I was supposed to go to a customer. A customer I know well, get along with well and all in all it would have been a simple job to do but I couldn't bring myself to go, terrible panic attack to the point where I'm not actually sure I could physically have drive the 1.5 hour to get there.

Strangely enough I think I'm actually much worse then before I started the Sertraline but I'm not sure if it's more a case of recognising (and accepting) things for what they are. I'm back to the GP tomorrow and will have to see what I'm going to do about work. Thankfully I'm blessed with a very supportive manager (initially he encouraged me to take off as much time as I could afford, damn the consequences for work, and that's with him knowing he'd have to fly people in from the UK to takeover from me). so hopefully we'll be able to work something out. I'm not sure sitting at home will do me much good however for the moment I'm not sure I can cope with work. Which I still think is kinda strange as I was working until the end of january, so there's a part of me that feels like I should just get on with it and get back out there.

Anyways, apologies for rambling, really what I wanted to ask what people's experiences are with Sertraline (what are the doses like?) and if anybody has read/used Mind over Mood and what they think of it.

thanks all

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I'm a first time poster here but long time lurker as they say.

You've all been of much help already insofar you've encouraged me to go see my GP and have an open discussion with him. The result of which has been me taking Sertraline for nearly a month now. I'm not quite sure just yet how it's working for me although Mrs. W seems to think it's doing something and I guess she'd be in a prime position to judge. If anything I guess I'm feeling more stable insofar I used to get terrible mood swings and would feel very very angry about silly things.

I was off work for a while starting the medication and last week was the first week where I was back to work, working from home mostly but friday I was supposed to go to a customer. A customer I know well, get along with well and all in all it would have been a simple job to do but I couldn't bring myself to go, terrible panic attack to the point where I'm not actually sure I could physically have drive the 1.5 hour to get there.

Strangely enough I think I'm actually much worse then before I started the Sertraline but I'm not sure if it's more a case of recognising (and accepting) things for what they are. I'm back to the GP tomorrow and will have to see what I'm going to do about work. Thankfully I'm blessed with a very supportive manager (initially he encouraged me to take off as much time as I could afford, damn the consequences for work, and that's with him knowing he'd have to fly people in from the UK to takeover from me). so hopefully we'll be able to work something out. I'm not sure sitting at home will do me much good however for the moment I'm not sure I can cope with work. Which I still think is kinda strange as I was working until the end of january, so there's a part of me that feels like I should just get on with it and get back out there.

Anyways, apologies for rambling, really what I wanted to ask what people's experiences are with Sertraline (what are the doses like?) and if anybody has read/used Mind over Mood and what they think of it.

thanks all

My ex girlfriend used that book for 'cleaning' OCD which hospitalised her twice. It's very practical and depending on your will it should help you become clearer in your thinking.

For me, any sort of anxiety/panic problem in the body needs to be understood. I remember reading http://www.amazon.com/Self-Help-Your-Nerves-overcoming/dp/0722531559. Absolutely brilliant because it explains very simply that the nervous system is naturally overloaded and has become over-sensitive to an extreme degree in people who have tight chest feelings, knotted stomach, shortness of breath, panic symptoms.

I would strongly recommend you buy it if anxiety is a big part of your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

DeVore wrote: »
    When I find that kinda "sluggish" feeling, I try to achieve one simple, single, discreet thing and that makes me feel like "right, lets get stuff done!"

That's exactly what I am going to do today!! :D

Thanks for that. . While I have done this before (picked out something to do that makes me feel producitive, no matter how trivial the action is!), I had forgotten that I could do it today.

Woke up feeling sick, while there is a virus in my house, there have been clouds circling my head all weekend and I have been dreading this morning. Im in my office (with plenty to do), dreading doing anything and I have decided that I will get some important stuff done and clean up my office. I do believe that if you have a clean room/office, it does in a psychological way, unclutter my mind (or at least doesn't add to the problems).

I also read some people talking about how they feel good during counselling/therapy and then afterwards feel like sh*t so that they haven't really told a story that truly reflects how they are feeling most of the time. This happens to me all the time, so I try to take some notes when I am in the thick of it (one liners) and read them out during my sessions.

But I also try to factor in a really important thing. The mere fact that I feel better during therapy says to me that I can be happy and can actually enjoy my life. When I am in a therapy session, I am prioritising my wellbeing and as such, I feel better!! But only prioritising my mental health can I achieve this. As I said in my first paragraph, I had forgotten that simple step I learned in therapy - If I feel like everything's getting on top of me, sometimes choosing one thing to do and getting it done can be so rewarding.

To me, this is a reminder that once I start getting back into my mind-set where my mind is racing and driving me mad, I am not prioristing my mental health. I am allowing old, bad habits pull me back into the anxious, depressed state that had me on anti depressants and sleeping tablets for over a decade!

Thus far, I have found the experience frustrating and enlightening. When I feel horrible I forget how far I have come and when I feel great I forget how hard it was to get to that level of serenity.

Yep as cawll me Jimmy said _'self help for your nerves' is great. It is like a bible to me and has been for years.

WEXIE

Seretraline/Zoloft/lustral is an SSRI antidepressant. It is hard to give opinions on antidepressants as everybody reacts differently to them. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa. However it is a highly effective med for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

lukesmom wrote: »
    Yep as cawll me Jimmy said _'self help for your nerves' is great. It is like a bible to me and has been for years.

WEXIE

Seretraline/Zoloft/lustral is an SSRI antidepressant. It is hard to give opinions on antidepressants as everybody reacts differently to them. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa. However it is a highly effective med for many.

God, reading some of the stories here reminds me of the side effects of the anti depressants I used to take (many mentioned here).

I remember with some I lost any feeling and desire for everthing. It was nice not feeling anxious and feeling nothing gave me a break, but after a while I was wondering whats the point in going through life like a bit of a zombie.

I also remember tapering off these drugs and it was not pretty. I used to think there was something really wrong with me, I got the brain zaps (weirdest feeling ever), random dizziness, random nauseous, mood swings and just all round feeling of crapness.

I am no doctor, but I was never advised to go off an anti depressant completely in one go. I was always slowly weaned off them, part of this is because of the side effects, they can be savage if not properly managed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DDempsey

I've got it. Had it for a long time. Med long time too. Life steady enough. People around me. Understand most of the time. Do what I have to. Trouble is stuff building up around me. Can't construct a sense of normality. No one to help. Sometimes physical presence to tackle the jobs are what I need. Get motivation from consultation and suggestion. Nothing moves in isolation. Only the cat. Tried asking but nobody free or maybe not willing.Can't think who else to ask, even to pay. No family here, all abroad, not much use anyway. Too alone to feel the energy. I can read think talk but the doing on my own is too much. I just need to get sorted. A bit is not enough. It never passes long enough to get it all done. I could go out more then and know how to be. Like this I am trapped. No will for anything. I know it passes but I never get to the bottom of these brakes on my existence. Times like these I wish I had young relatives to call in, to talk to while I sort things, take my mind off the muddle I am in, get the best from me whilst I sort the worse. Never happens. So many interests but no concentration to organise the things to do them with so can't decide what to do. It was easier when I just needed talking...so wasted and no sign of change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Ah lads. Weather like this really is the ONLY thing that makes me feel back to 100% even if it is hugely temporary. Beaut of a day in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Ah lads. Weather like this really is the ONLY thing that makes me feel back to 100% even if it is hugely temporary. Beaut of a day in Galway

Yep, def. Was feeling like total **** last night but waking up and driving to work with the sun beating off the car cheered me up no end

Honestly this weather seems to have the opposite effect on me. It being sunny and warm outside makes me just wanna stay in bed more. :( I dunno if that's just me being awkward "on purpose" (as in my subconscious looking for reasons for me to stay down) or what but sunny days tend to make me very unproductive and introspective.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think it will vary for various people. Weather will certainly affect mood (to the extent that some people may want to read up on Seasonally Affective Disorder, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder )... but for others, that might not have much impact or the opposite.
    For me sunlight does make a big difference. For my mum its definitely a good thing.

I'm at that kinda weird point where I can feel the anxiety lurking, looking for an opening and things are a bit stressy with work but for the moment everything is still ok. Just about :)

Trying not to be anxious about *that* too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Phoenix wrote: »
    im really worried about my best friend he tried to overdose last night again second time in a few months after a heavy session.....he has been diagnosed with severe depression

Really sorry to hear that phoenix, have you tried to do anything to help? Is he on his own right now or in hosp/with someone?

Advertisement