Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Thanks to everyone for giving me the courage to tell the counselor what was really going on in my head and that I had been lying to her.
    Incidentally a topic came up in conversation without me prompting it and then I had to say it to her before I exploded. Ended up crying but she was so very nice, she really is a pet. She hugged me when I was leaving too :)

Wont be seeing her next week cause of the bank holiday but she told me to ring if I was feeling panicky which was sweet of her.
    Thanks again to everyone xox

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarah_12

Has anybody tried to come off Effexor and have any idea how long the withdrawals last?

Years ago I was on a 75mg and 37.5mg tablet everyday and stopped taking them one day, no weening or anything and I was fine!

For the past 2 years I've been on a tiny dose of 37.5mg and tried to come off them last year by stopping them all together (on the advice of my doctor!) that didn't go down to well! I was sick and I felt like I was in a daze so I went back on it again (on the advice of my doctor!)

I decided about 3 weeks ago that I'm not staying on it any longer, been on it the past year for fear of withdrawals which is no good so I started taking it every 2nd day and then every 3rd and now am pushing it as far as I can, I'm not well and I constantly feel like I'm in a daze/dream which is a horrible feeling.

I really want to persist and get off this tab, anyone have experience of this and any light at the end of the tunnel type news for me?!

I have switched to another GP finally, seeing him this evening for the first time so fingers crossed he has better advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Sarah_12 wrote: »
    Has anybody tried to come off Effexor and have any idea how long the withdrawals last?

Years ago I was on a 75mg and 37.5mg tablet everyday and stopped taking them one day, no weening or anything and I was fine!

For the past 2 years I've been on a tiny dose of 37.5mg and tried to come off them last year by stopping them all together (on the advice of my doctor!) that didn't go down to well! I was sick and I felt like I was in a daze so I went back on it again (on the advice of my doctor!)

I decided about 3 weeks ago that I'm not staying on it any longer, been on it the past year for fear of withdrawals which is no good so I started taking it every 2nd day and then every 3rd and now am pushing it as far as I can, I'm not well and I constantly feel like I'm in a daze/dream which is a horrible feeling.

I really want to persist and get off this tab, anyone have experience of this and any light at the end of the tunnel type news for me?!

I have switched to another GP finally, seeing him this evening for the first time so fingers crossed he has better advice!

If it's anything like cymbalta, wait it out.
    If you have work, try and take a week or 2 off and just relax, take it easy, and wait out the ill effects.
    Alternatively, talk to your doctor about hopping to another anti-d, to ease the withdrawal and then come off that anti-d. This is generally a good way to come off anti-ds as you don't have the same withdrawal feelings from the 2nd anti-d and it helps balance the withdrawal from the first.

good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

This isn't exactly medical advice, just sharing what I was told - apparently when coming off Effexor the best way is to remove a grain of the stuff from the capsule a day. It takes a while but is apparently the best way to deal with withdrawals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I posted last week about my concern that my doctor agreed it was time to stop taking the 60mg of Cymbalta that I was on for Stress/Anxiety and mild depression last year but wasn't prescribing me a tapering dosage. He only did after I said, "Should we not taper instead of cold turkey?" "I suppose you're right" he said. Then my disgust when he only prescribed 14x 30mg tablets.

Well, finished the 7 days of 1x 30mg a day and had decided to take the next 7 tablets every second day to stretch them out.

Whether or not its placebo or confirmation bias but I have certainly noticed that my motivation, energy levels and general mojo have greatly improved and I have been in great form all week. Due my first "every second day" 30mg in 4 hours and its only now after 48 hours since my last tablet that I am getting some brain zaps which are a known withdrawl side-effect. If things keep going like this I'll be able to say that my worries were unfounded and coming off cymbalta was a breeze (for me at least. Everyones physiology is different some and might get terrible withdrawls)

I have to say despite the discussion a few weeks ago about this, but I really think I didn't have depression or anxiety to anything like the degree a lot of you poor folks do. Cymbalta side effects were worse than any anxiety related physiological symptoms I had. I feel I was mis-diagnosed tbh. I don't blame the doctor because all my symptoms pointed to this diagnosis but in hindsight it was probably symptoms of the beginnings of familial High blood pressure, metabolic syndrome( Huge coca cola habit), terrible sleep hygiene and lack of sleep, Some financial stressors all coinciding with the death of a beloved dog which had me in tears and persuaded me to go to the doctor. Thing is, I was always empathic and sensitive and easy to tear up for a guy (Sad movies etc) I guy tearing up in a doctors surgery talking about his dog might point to depression in a regular bloke but it was only natural for sensitive old me.

Maybe if I didn't really need the medication neurochemically, that explains why the withdrawl effects have been almost non existent so far for me.

• Advertisement

Haha. I said to myself while typing my previous post, that I hoped I wasn't 'talking to soon'.

Well, the Brain Zaps are hittin' good'o now !! :D Last hour of work there was fun trying not to visibly show the physical reaction to the zaps to customers. They don't hurt but I am sure they will get 'old' very quickly :D Took my next 30mg 2 hours early at 46 hours since my last one instead of 48. No withdrawl effects wednesday after my Tuesday night tablet, so presumably I won't get the zaps again till Saturday night. Hopefully they'll be less severe just before next dose over the next 14 days going forward. Mood is great though.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Look at it this way, after one tablet missed you were able to go 22 hours without noticing. Thats 22 hours longer than before. with the second tablet, you only have to extend that 1/11th of the time more. You know you can do 22 hours, 24 isnt a huge ask... good luck and whatever happens you will be out of this in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

The overcast weather today makes me feel more tired an less motivated about everything.
    Seeing the counsellor tomorrow I've always wondered why do you need to talk about your feelings with them? Sometimes I don't really have anything to talk about or things I want to say or any kind of thoughts that I want to express. Then I wonder if I'm just wasting my time if I don't have anything particular I want to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The overcast weather today makes me feel more tired an less motivated about everything.
    Seeing the counsellor tomorrow I've always wondered why do you need to talk about your feelings with them? Sometimes I don't really have anything to talk about or things I want to say or any kind of thoughts that I want to express. Then I wonder if I'm just wasting my time if I don't have anything particular I want to talk about.

I'm not trying to be smart at all, but would it be worth saying exactly that to the counsellor and seeing what they have to say about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Im on 150mg daily, if miss 1 day I get a horrible uncomfortable physical feeling, been on it 8 years now I think, 150 is as low as I can handle, was on 225 for a while till I decided to drop it down.

some people can come off it. its very difficult but if you want to try you have to do it right. a doctor wont advise to open the capsule but probably the best way to do it. my 150mg capsules used to have 3 balls in them but not they have tiny little balls, I suppose you could use a very sensitive scale to adjust your dosage by 5mg rather than the standard 25mg

I know a guy who was on a really high dose that isnt recommended any more and he managed to come off it and was doing well last time I heard.

its difficult explaining to people what the side effects/withdrawals of these meds are like when they've never been on them, it can be horrible sometimes

Im not exactly a success story but I never thought Id make it to age 30, Ill be 31 in 2 weeks, depression hasnt beaten me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Coming down to 30mg from 60 of cymbalta tomorrow. Doctor said I can do alternating days, but not sure I will. Hoping my bank holiday weekend isn't ruined by those zaps or any other side effects.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Coming down to 30mg from 60 of cymbalta tomorrow. Doctor said I can do alternating days, but not sure I will. Hoping my bank holiday weekend isn't ruined by those zaps or any other side effects.

I certainly wouldn't worry too much about the shift from 60 to 30mg. My zaps really only kicked in when I went to alternating days at 30mg. I'll update my progress here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Gongoozler wrote: »

I'd suggest not alternating. That really dragged out the withdrawal.
    Talk to your doc about halving the 30mg.

(I carefully opened the tabs, and halved by eye, eventually, I halved that dose again, so I was at the 7 mg. Still, Its the kind of med I'd suggest taking time off for. )

I'd suggest not alternating. That really dragged out the withdrawal.
    Talk to your doc about halving the 30mg.

(I carefully opened the tabs, and halved by eye, eventually, I halved that dose again, so I was at the 7 mg. Still, Its the kind of med I'd suggest taking time off for. )

Might take this advice myself it turns out.

The bad news for me was that I got strong zaps Friday Night after all despite thinking that it would be like Wednesday/Thursday where I was fine the day after the alternating tablet but got zaps coming up to the 48 hour mark. As I took my next tablet on Thursday night, I wasn't expecting the zaps again till tonight. Got them bad again last night so took a 30mg.

So it looks like I'll take the doctors prescription advice after all and take all 14 30mg on consecutive days.

The good news is twofold. I am still in great form with newfound energy and motivation on the reduced dosage so far........and I found 5x 60mg while tidying the bedroom. :D

I'll be able to make up for example an extra: 4x 30mg + 8x 15mg + 8x 7.5mg

Do chemists sell empty capsules though? Might just end up buying paracetamol capsules and emptying the contents I suppose if its not possible to get empty ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Boundaries, good strong boundaries, that's what I have been working on of late.
    Too much to be struggling with, with out unasked for advice and judgey comments from people who like to say they are supportive but, they are not. It's nice to be at the stage were I can say you've crossed a line, sod off and not be worrying about their butt hurt feelings for a change.

Was supposed to go watch the match today, even got a new outfit for the occasion but im overanxious and paranoid.

The sun is shining through the blinds in my window and quite frankly its making me feel nauseous. A little bit close to tears

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Whats it like being on meds for depression? would it make a big difference? do you start to heavily rely on them , if you stop taking them would it come back?
    I don't know if I need it yet the counsellor just suggested I have a think about possibly going on meds she's waiting until next week might have to see the doctor I'm undecided at the moment if I want to go on them.

While I generally shun away from giving advice, I'd consider leaving that counsellor. She will definitely not help you with your depression so what's the point in going to her then?

therapy is a process and takes time. Just be yourself and even express that thought that you don't have anything to talk about.

Chiquitita wrote: »
    Was supposed to go watch the match today, even got a new outfit for the occasion but im overanxious and paranoid.

The sun is shining through the blinds in my window and quite frankly its making me feel nauseous. A little bit close to tears

Were you meeting friends to watch the match with? I suggest you still go if you feel even half up to it and want to go.
    If it really is too much of a chore and you know you won't enjoy it, maybe go for a walk in the sunshine and then watch the match at home.

Was anyone here at the Ivor Browne talk in the Lantern Centre in Dublin last Thursday night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Calibos wrote: »
    Might take this advice myself it turns out.

The bad news for me was that I got strong zaps Friday Night after all despite thinking that it would be like Wednesday/Thursday where I was fine the day after the alternating tablet but got zaps coming up to the 48 hour mark. As I took my next tablet on Thursday night, I wasn't expecting the zaps again till tonight. Got them bad again last night so took a 30mg.

So it looks like I'll take the doctors prescription advice after all and take all 14 30mg on consecutive days.

The good news is twofold. I am still in great form with newfound energy and motivation on the reduced dosage so far........and I found 5x 60mg while tidying the bedroom. :D

I'll be able to make up for example an extra: 4x 30mg + 8x 15mg + 8x 7.5mg

Do chemists sell empty capsules though? Might just end up buying paracetamol capsules and emptying the contents I suppose if its not possible to get empty ones.

I'm on 120mg cymbalta. I'll probably drop to 90mg first when I do eventually come off them. Its mad how the internet is full of horror stories of withdrawal, I read countless stories of people trying to come off mirtaxapine/zispin and finding it horrendous likening the withdrawals to heroin withdrawal and naturally I was terrified. But I'm happy to say I'm off them for 5 weeks and have had absolutely zero withdrawal symptoms!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Please, lets steer away from the discussion of coming off meds unless you make it clear its under medical supervision. By all means go talk to your doc about meds (in fact you absolutely should, all the time!) but coming off meds because you "feel fine now" is ... just wrong.

I'm aware most people here are talking about "under medical supervision" but the point bears repeating.

I think I need to go back to my doctors and tell them the truth. Don't mean to alarm anyone or anything but this is the only place I can say what's on my mind apart from the counselor who I won't be seeing till next week cause of the bank holiday.
    Well anyway I just need to type it out and maybe after some sleep I'll feel better. I need to tell my darling parents, who I love so much, that the only reason I'm still here is because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Chiquitita wrote: »
    I think I need to go back to my doctors and tell them the truth. Don't mean to alarm anyone or anything but this is the only place I can say what's on my mind apart from the counselor who I won't be seeing till next week cause of the bank holiday.
    Well anyway I just need to type it out and maybe after some sleep I'll feel better. I need to tell my darling parents, who I love so much, that the only reason I'm still here is because of them.

You'll feel better soon. Time is a healer. Be strong and force yourself out and to do things. Good things will start to happen.

Thank you for replying, means a lot.

I've just let this "episode" as I like to call it, go too far. I could feel it coming for a few months but let it fester away and now it's bad.
    The only salvation is sleep but then I wake up and it's back to square one. I haven't even gone to bed today yet and already I'm thinking about when I can sleep next. Holy christ this is exhausting

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Whats it like being on meds for depression? would it make a big difference? do you start to heavily rely on them , if you stop taking them would it come back?
    I don't know if I need it yet the counsellor just suggested I have a think about possibly going on meds she's waiting until next week might have to see the doctor I'm undecided at the moment if I want to go on them.
    lighthouse wrote: »
    While I generally shun away from giving advice, I'd consider leaving that counsellor. She will definitely not help you with your depression so what's the point in going to her then?
    Don't give advice then. Especially when your advice, if based on the post you replied to (from over a week ago) is, to say the least, ill-founded.

If you really do think that it is wrong for a presumably professional counsellor to suggest that a client should think about possibly taking AD medication, and your advice is therefore to consider leaving that counsellor, then maybe you need to take a step or three back.

I would have thought that, from what Mysteriouschic said, the counsellor in question gave considered advice - as in something to think about.

Without knowing all the facts, one cannot really give a judgement or advise one way or the other.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Hi folks i am thinking of shoot a short documentary on mental health as i myself as you know suffer with GAD and Depression an d i want to rid the population of stigma. Would any of you like to join me in helping fellow sufferers out and be willing to talk to me about your mental health? its a great cause. Pm me if you are any way interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Today is my second day on the 30mg instead of 60. Was fine yesterday, no zaps, but have had a couple today. Thought the first was due to not having eaten, as that happens some times, but got a second one now, so it may be withdrawal. Hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Phoenix wrote: »
    a mate of mine is in bad shape..hes tried to over dose twice this year been to gp and they gave him lexapro same drug he already tried to commit suicide with along with sleeping tabs and alcohol:rolleyes:

Hmm lexapro, had a bad experience with that one too. Replied to your comment already don't know if u saw it, just said I hope your friend has all the support he needs at the moment!

Advertisement