Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Texted my learning support person cause they were busy today I just need to fill in a form I had a look on the website I only get 5 days of an extension from the assessment date and 5 days from last Thursday is today.
    I feel like maybe I should just repeat this semester next year. I'm just behind in everything.

A little advice from an old man. Live in the Now, one day at a time!

Please relax, you and many like you are panicking unnecessarily.

Be positive, take it all in your stride.

So what if you need to repeat next year, it is not the end of the world.

In the overall scheme of things you have a whole lifetime ahead of you.

Making yourself ill worrying won't help you at all.

Perhaps take a night away from the studies, give your brain a rest, go out and get a walk this evening.

Tomorrow is another day.

I'm doing a whole lot better now. :) I've actually been feeling quite good for the last couple of weeks.

I went through another unfounded health scare about a month ago thanks to random physical symptoms. My GP even tested me for diabetes at the time but everything came back fine. She suggested, because the symptoms were so random, that maybe it was a physical manifestation of my mental health issues. In any case, she recommended attending an Aware support group. I've done it twice so far over the last few weeks, but I feel a little guilty going in there when I feel well.

I'm just hoping I can keep this up now.

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm doing a whole lot better now. :) I've actually been feeling quite good for the last couple of weeks.

I went through another unfounded health scare about a month ago thanks to random physical symptoms. My GP even tested me for diabetes at the time but everything came back fine. She suggested, because the symptoms were so random, that maybe it was a physical manifestation of my mental health issues. In any case, she recommended attending an Aware support group. I've done it twice so far over the last few weeks, but I feel a little guilty going in there when I feel well.

I'm just hoping I can keep this up now.

Of course you can Karsini.

Just learn to be gentle with yourself and live one day at a time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Has anyone ever been admitted to Psych through casualty? Not as an emergency per se but under a doctors referral to avoid the 3 month wait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Please take a minute and read this.
    http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/

I normally post on the other thread, but just wanted to say thanks and well done fir posting this link.
    that has been my coping strategy for many years when ever I came to the darkest of places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Feeling bit down the past few days with some uneasy anxiety thrown in. I'm not sure why though. My brothers anniversary last week probably didn't help. And muscles very sore after joining a fitness camp. Just hope this feeling passes. I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

lukesmom I attempted something completely out of character to try and improve myself yesterday by going to an acting group. I found that the whole thing left me quite deflated but I knew no matter what the outcome of it, bad or good that I could take some confidence in the fact that this was a positive step and I took it. Taking up the fitness camp might have had a subtly similar effect on you insofaras we sometimes expect after a positive step to feel more positive which seems logical but imo these things bear fruit in time.

Yesterday reminded me of my trait of wanting instant gratification (hence a dependency on drugs) and being sober around people was also a big thing for me. I guess what I'm saying is there might be some deflation on your part too?

Yeah you could be right there, I'm just feeling pretty meh. Hate when it comes out of the blue its soul destroying. Trying to keep busy and not let my thoughts become obtrusive. I'm aware that I have xanax if I need them but I always try and get through it without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

lukesmom I attempted something completely out of character to try and improve myself yesterday by going to an acting group. I found that the whole thing left me quite deflated but I knew no matter what the outcome of it, bad or good that I could take some confidence in the fact that this was a positive step and I took it. Taking up the fitness camp might have had a subtly similar effect on you insofaras we sometimes expect after a positive step to feel more positive which seems logical but imo these things bear fruit in time.

Yesterday reminded me of my trait of wanting instant gratification (hence a dependency on drugs) and being sober around people was also a big thing for me. I guess what I'm saying is there might be some deflation on your part too?

Last year I signed up with movie extras, haven't done any work at all on anything .. I think I would really enjoy acting and would be good at it. But you know what, it feels good to of even just signed up . . I put myself out there with a chance . . Just signing up for it was my victory and that's actually been enough for me !

I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding expecting instant gratification. I find setting the bar lower and achieving these goals is far more rewarding then setting the bar ridiculously high and having a terrible time getting there and even if I achieve the goal getting little satisfaction out of it!

Its funny because I know people who would look at my post and go . . "Sure all you did was sign up and pay to be a member of something for a year. You didn't actually do anything or achieve anything !!!" . Achievements in this context are subjective.

In my opinion, its not important that some people don't value the positive importance that me taking this action has provided. All that is important is that I feel like I have taken a positive step to try and live some of my dreams . . One of them dreams being acting . .

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

What's the best person I should go to in relation to panic attacks and anxiety? I went to a psychologist before when very unwell publicly. I went to a psychotherapist first session got nothing from him. Went to a couple sessions with supposedly a counsellor and finding it no good. I'm getting panic attacks again aswell as high anxiety I dunno how I'm going to face work on Monday. I reckon I'll be kept out of work. I'm on a cocktail of medication for the same issues and I should just stop (I won't I know not to)

• Advertisement

pinkstars wrote: »
    What's the best person I should go to in relation to panic attacks and anxiety? I went to a psychologist before when very unwell publicly. I went to a psychotherapist first session got nothing from him. Went to a couple sessions with supposedly a counsellor and finding it no good. I'm getting panic attacks again aswell as high anxiety I dunno how I'm going to face work on Monday. I reckon I'll be kept out of work. I'm on a cocktail of medication for the same issues and I should just stop (I won't I know not to)

Perhaps this is a question you should raise and discuss with your GP. ???

Everyone is unique and are following different paths to achieve the same Goal.

Really hope tomorrow is a better day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

lukesmom wrote: »
    Really hope tomorrow is a better day.

I hope so too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm still completely stressed out I haven't touched the project , I found out I have a maths test tomorrow I'm not prepared for anything.
    After a lot of thought I'm starting to think I need to drop out of this semester and focus on trying to get the motivation even going on the depression medication like my counsellor suggested to get back on track since I've started off terribly way behind in everything. I can start this semester again next year and have a fresh start that way I'm not dropping out. In the mean time I'll focus on other things .

Could really do with some words of encouragment. Took a xanax a couple of hours ago, the lowest dose. I suppose it has taken the edge off the anxiety. I've had it for 24 hours and wish it would fk off excuse my French but so hard looking after my three kids with this. Really hoping it passes soon its utterly soul destroying when it pops up out of the blue like this. I took on a friends problems last week she had bad anxiety and that coupled with my brothers anniversary of his death has most likely contributed to this blip.but at least I can see where it came from. When I was very sick last year I couldn't see what contributed to it and I suppose that's where the benefits of psychology comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

The worst part of depression is the lack of motivation and the general lack of caring for most things. Hence the reason I haven't bothered with this thread until post # 5420...

It also makes me a dick much of the time. Which sorta sucks, especially for other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Reindeer wrote: »
    The worst part of depression is the lack of motivation and the general lack of caring for most things.

This is the worst part of it for me too.

You get to a certain point and then you just stop caring about everything pretty much, which tends to lead to a downward mood spiral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Could really do with some words of encouragment.

Well it sounds like you have been through these patches before and so you know deep down that it will pass in time.

What I have found to be helpful is to try not to beat yourself up over it so much.

I've found it tough being 'a man' and not being able to keep myself / my feelings contained in the typical blokey way throughout my life which used to make me hate myself even more.

But when I started cutting myself some slack and just accepting that this was me for better or worse I found it helped a lot.

I don't know if this will be encouraging to you at all but I really hope you feel better soon, and im really sorry to hear about your troubles.

The anniversary must be especially tough.

Anyway try and hang in there (cliche I know sorry, hate when people say it to me!) and remember, little luke loves you lots! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Could really do with some words of encouragment. Took a xanax a couple of hours ago, the lowest dose. I suppose it has taken the edge off the anxiety. I've had it for 24 hours and wish it would fk off excuse my French but so hard looking after my three kids with this. Really hoping it passes soon its utterly soul destroying when it pops up out of the blue like this. I took on a friends problems last week she had bad anxiety and that coupled with my brothers anniversary of his death has most likely contributed to this blip.but at least I can see where it came from. When I was very sick last year I couldn't see what contributed to it and I suppose that's where the benefits of psychology comes in.

Hi Lukesmom, what's good is that you can see why your mood is low. No matter how resilient we think we are the anniversary of a loved one's death always stirs up the emotions to some extent. You did a nice thing for your friend, so even if that is now causing you some anxiety, the positive is that you were there for her and you should feel good about yourself for that.

Does anyone around you know that you are feeling this way? Sometimes a chat and a good cry with a friend can lift your mood. If it is at all possible can you get an hour for yourself and try to get out for a walk or just do something to take you outside of your head for a little while. I know it's hard when the kids are young but you deserve a little you time right now.

Hoping you feel better soon, and as we always say "this too shall pass"..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

murria wrote: »
    Hoping you feel better soon, and as we always say "this too shall pass"..

The song 'Mama Said' by Puscifer always pops into my mind with a variant of this.

"Like a kidney stone, it's just a broken heart son, this pain will pass away, this too shall pass away."

I do like the story of the origin of this phrase, the king who wanted a ring made to make him grounded when up, and bring him up when he was feeling down. The solution was engraving "this too shall pass". It's a hard thing to remember, but it's damn important!

We forget how bad things were "I'm never drinking again" anyone? And we forget that the highs will pass too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pinkstars wrote: »
    I went to a psychotherapist first session got nothing from him. Went to a couple sessions with supposedly a counsellor and finding it no good.
    Check if your GP can recommend someone else? If they're anything like regular doctors, you may find you'll have to go though one or two of them before you find one that helps you (went through three doctors before finding one that could help with a physical problem that I have).

Thanks all I'm just gonna hang in there and hopefully tomorrow is a better day x

Well that truly was the day from hell. It felt like every minute dragged on. I have to keep reminding myself that this is just a blip I am having. Its hard to do that when your stuck in the middle of it. Anxiety is such a curse. I rang to try get appointment with the psychologist but he's not in till Monday, I have appointment with him Monday anyway. Fear of fear.

Well that truly was the day from hell. It felt like every minute dragged on. I have to keep reminding myself that this is just a blip I am having. Its hard to do that when your stuck in the middle of it. Anxiety is such a curse. I rang to try get appointment with the psychologist but he's not in till Monday, I have appointment with him Monday anyway. Fear of fear.

You'll be fine Girl

Just relax!

An early night? A nice warm bath with lots of bubbles,,,,,,,,,,

Be gentle with yourself

You'll be fine Girl

Just relax!

An early night? A nice warm bath with lots of bubbles,,,,,,,,,,

Be gentle with yourself

Thanks so much for your reply! Means a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I decided not to go in for my 2nd part of my maths CA as I've made the decision to defer since I haven't put in enough effort in that or anything. Rather than me stressing trying to learn a few weeks work yesterday. I personally just feel if I can't put 100% effort into it and the other modules that I'm wasting my time along with trying to catch up with everything. I'm going to focus on my other skills try and look for a retail job as I have experience for volunteering in a charity shop where I still am. Also as I've noticed I'm motivated at everything else just not in college. I feel myself I need to spend time away from there and start again next year.
    I know people or my family may think I'm crazy but really if I'm not motivated and I have to force myself to be there all I'm doing is causing myself unnecessary stress I need to focus on changing my mindset right now and doing other things.
    I haven't told my family yet don't know what they'll say. I've felt much more positive since I've decided I want to defer, I'll probably have many think I'm being crazy to do this but it's for the best.

Not as bad today i think the anxiety easing hopefully the blip is pi##ing off! Just going with the flow at the moment at home with my two youngest. Got a bit of cleaning done. Community nurse ringing me in the afternoon so it will be good to talk to somebody. I swear I must have cried a million tears yesterday. I have an hour at the gym tonight boxing so I'm actually looking forward to getting out for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Started Citaprolam yesterday(Was on Lexapro last year). Curious to see if the effects will be noticeably different.

BrianG23 wrote: »
    Started Citaprolam yesterday(Was on Lexapro last year). Curious to see if the effects will be noticeably different.

Similar medication. I loved citalopram. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Please please help me make sense of the following, I see the psychologist Monday but until then my brain is in overdrive here are the facts:

Spoke to community nurse who said 'you do know this will pass don't you?' And gave mine a script for xanax for a few days and then later rang me and then BAM!!! told me the new psych wants to see me Tuesday morning. This has sent my anxiety into overdrive.

I asked community nurse why does psych want to see me? (Not supposed to have appointment till may) And he said she doesn't like prescribing meds without having seen someone so wants to see me Tuesday.

I'm TERRIFIED she will change my meds which I've been doing great on and this'd is just a blip, but the nurse said that's not what it's about she wants to help you.

Don't know what to think

Advertisement