Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

lukesmom wrote: »
    Please please help me make sense of the following, I see the psychologist Monday but until then my brain is in overdrive here are the facts:

Spoke to community nurse who said 'you do know this will pass don't you?' And gave mine a script for xanax for a few days and then later rang me and then BAM!!! told me the new psych wants to see me Tuesday morning. This has sent my anxiety into overdrive.

I asked community nurse why does psych want to see me? (Not supposed to have appointment till may) And he said she doesn't like prescribing meds without having seen someone so wants to see me Tuesday.

I'm TERRIFIED she will change my meds which I've been doing great on and this'd is just a blip, but the nurse said that's not what it's about she wants to help you.

Don't know what to think

Nurse is right, at the end of the day it's probably routine and just a matter of checking that you're in a good place.

If you're in a good place meds wise I don't see why they would change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Nurse is right, at the end of the day it's probably routine and just a matter of checking that you're in a good place.

If you're in a good place meds wise I don't see why they would change

I am but just having bit of a blip past few days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

As I've posted recently, I'm tapering down of Cymbalta and it's been going great which I was thrilled about as I had read horror stories about coming off it. Then yesterday about noon out of the blue I started getting waves of frustration every few minutes and my nervous system was buzzing. The waves of frustration reminded me of ecstasy comedown from back in the day and as E acts on the serotonin neurotransmitter that did seem to tally with SNRI withdrawal kind of.

I was very disappointed with this happening out of the blue after doing so well and without me changing anything.

Then today, I discovered something. My electronic cigarette tank had been leaking badly. I re breed dropping it the night before last.

Feeling great again today. Assuming I don't have another day like yesterday, then it's likely what I was actually suffering from yesterday was nicotine overdose from the leaking eliquid absorbing through my skin(that's how patches work).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think we should never forget that people will more readily account negative experiences of medication/therapies than they would positive ones (and I wonder if for depressives that'd be skewed towards a higher proportion of negative accounts :p). Search engines are optimised for popularity and that tends to translate into an echo chamber for negative experiences of drugs. If you're really worried about what you may experience when taking a drug/therapy read up the literature to see what your odds are on having various experiences. Personal stories, while important parts of human experience, are also very dangerous when applied incorrectly to future expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

My cymbalta reduction is going well too. I have some slightly teary days but sure for all I know that may be due to my cycle or my pill. Will stay at this dose for a while then come off completely. No withdrawal evident as of yet. Glad and relieved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

i'm on lexipro atm and lets say its giving me some.... man problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yes I ended up going off meds coz of that. It's supposed to be not so bad after a while but by god I prefered having my mojo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

is there another anti-depressant i can get so i wont have those problems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm not sure. Maybe something to mention to psychiatrist next time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

is there another anti-depressant i can get so i wont have those problems ?

At the end of the day its down to your doctor/psychiatrist. That being said, I think Fluoxetine doesn't have that side effect. But again, I'm sure your Doc will know best. If you're "stuck" with lexipro best thing to do is incorporate libido increasing foods into your diet. Or cut out anything else that may decrease libido, (Usually in your diet)

That or listen to Barry White 24/7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm doing a whole lot better now. :) I've actually been feeling quite good for the last couple of weeks.

I went through another unfounded health scare about a month ago thanks to random physical symptoms. My GP even tested me for diabetes at the time but everything came back fine. She suggested, because the symptoms were so random, that maybe it was a physical manifestation of my mental health issues. In any case, she recommended attending an Aware support group. I've done it twice so far over the last few weeks, but I feel a little guilty going in there when I feel well.

I'm just hoping I can keep this up now.

reading this took me back over three decades. vague physical symptoms etc. erratic blood sugar etc.

like you i was told it was mental issues..fast forward three decades of tranx anti ds, in patient stuff, then being written off as inadequate and even criminalised by drs in the uk

finally a consultant mentioned post viral fatigue, ie m.e and the penny dropped with a resounding crash

i still have the same health problems and as drs are so ignorant re m.e i stay well clear of them. took me a year to get off benzos etc yet they would still suggest them

last weekend i fell and broke my wrist which needed surgery. vicious migraine and no real awareness and they offered me xanax for anxiety so i got dressed and came home.

i know my illness, what it does to body and mind,the pattern of the day. if anything bad happens late afternnon i go to pieces so i make sure i am safe.

i say to all here, please make totally sure there is nothing physical underlying and learn side effects of everything you are offered. there are some great online support groups

benzos depress and can make you feel suicidal. many of the meds i was on were quietly withdrawn years ago and the same will happen with the new ones.

many cinderalla ilnnesses cause panic and depression.... m. e , lupus, early stages of parkinsons et etc.

food allergies too

it is great the sharing here; i never had the internet then

being aware is great and questionind the drs too

i am blessed with family support and wisdom from afar; over 70 now and live by choice alone in a remote plae where i can make the running and be boss,

taking me long days and nights to recover from hospital but i will get there! just was all too much and so much ignorance re m.e.

syse typos; one armed bandit !! todays major issue will be opening a tin of beans non ring pull....great gas!just hacked a chicken up for the dogs with a cleaver

Still not feeling good this morning, anxiety. Have taken my xanax about 10 minutes ago. Hope I get some relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Praying the psych increases my seroquel dose on Monday from 300mg upwards as this med changed my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

i'm on lexipro atm and lets say its giving me some.... man problems...

I've been on Lexapro for quite a while now (albeit on a low dosage) and this was a problem for me in the early days. The doc warned me about it so it appears to be one of the most well known side affects. It did improve over time and that aspect of life is back to normal now..normal for me at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Graces7 wrote: »
    reading this took me back over three decades. vague physical symptoms etc. erratic blood sugar etc.

like you i was told it was mental issues..fast forward three decades of tranx anti ds, in patient stuff, then being written off as inadequate and even criminalised by drs in the uk

finally a consultant mentioned post viral fatigue, ie m.e and the penny dropped with a resounding crash

i still have the same health problems and as drs are so ignorant re m.e i stay well clear of them. took me a year to get off benzos etc yet they would still suggest them

last weekend i fell and broke my wrist which needed surgery. vicious migraine and no real awareness and they offered me xanax for anxiety so i got dressed and came home.

i know my illness, what it does to body and mind,the pattern of the day. if anything bad happens late afternnon i go to pieces so i make sure i am safe.

i say to all here, please make totally sure there is nothing physical underlying and learn side effects of everything you are offered. there are some great online support groups

benzos depress and can make you feel suicidal. many of the meds i was on were quietly withdrawn years ago and the same will happen with the new ones.

many cinderalla ilnnesses cause panic and depression.... m. e , lupus, early stages of parkinsons et etc.

food allergies too

it is great the sharing here; i never had the internet then

being aware is great and questionind the drs too

i am blessed with family support and wisdom from afar; over 70 now and live by choice alone in a remote plae where i can make the running and be boss,

taking me long days and nights to recover from hospital but i will get there! just was all too much and so much ignorance re m.e.

syse typos; one armed bandit !! todays major issue will be opening a tin of beans non ring pull....great gas!just hacked a chicken up for the dogs with a cleaver

Nice post.

Please take great care of yourself.

Hope the dogs enjoyed the chicken dinner !

Best wishes

Anyone any tips on how I can look after three kids Monday while my husband at work and I've high anxiety? Have psych appointment Tuesday morning my mother looking after them for that. Shes not back in the country until Monday night after being in Spain for a week. Just the thoughts of a one year old and three year old being hyper and demanding when I'm not my best is difficult. My 12 year old at school till 3.

Anyone any tips on how I can look after three kids Monday while my husband at work and I've high anxiety? Have psych appointment Tuesday morning my mother looking after them for that. Shes not back in the country until Monday night after being in Spain for a week. Just the thoughts of a one year old and three year old being hyper and demanding when I'm not my best is difficult. My 12 year old at school till 3.

Hi, sorry to hear you are not feeling the best. have you any close friends, or relatives near by, that might give you a dig out with the kids?

Jake1 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to hear you are not feeling the best. have you any close friends, or relatives near by, that might give you a dig out with the kids?

Yeah but they have kids of their own and do be busy.

• Advertisement

Been on highest dose (225mg) of Efexor for a year now and not sure if it's doing me much good. If I skip a dose, I feel the effects afterwards and regret it. If I keep taking it as I should, I'm plagued by weird dreams and ridiculous increase in sweating....and though it keeps my mood mostly balanced, it doesn't help much when I inevitably **** something up.

I have an MSc dissertation due in a week that I'm dreading. :( I put a lot of work into it but most of that work didn't yield any fruitful results, so I'm terrified that what I'm actually able to write about will be considered too basic and not good enough for MSc standard. :(

All that
    +
    the constant problems of not being attractive enough/not being smart enough/having no talent/not having enough friends/being single and no-one wanting to go out with me
    +
    the thoughts of the future; either failing an MSc and being a total failure OR getting an MSc but still being unemployable and too inexperienced form a job and too dumb for a PhD
    +
    Inevitable financial struggle and returning to social isolation and loneliness as I'll have to move home for financial reasons
    =
    Me not holding out much hope for anything positive happening in the near future. :(

Last time I saw a GP he said I'd need to show six months minimum of "stable" moods on Efexor before he should consider reducing the dosage. I honestly struggle to get to six days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

All that
    +
    the constant problems of not being attractive enough/not being smart enough/having no talent/not having enough friends/being single and no-one wanting to go out with me

Just going to focus on this. This is how you FEEL not necessarily the reality of how things are. How you feel is very bloody important but don't ever let those feeling trick you into denying the reality that you are intelligent (you got a freaking Undergrad!), you have talents (you can write posts quite legibly, you're working on dissertations and that's all I can surmise from the web, I'm sure there are others) you can always make friends (strangers are the friends you've yet to meet) you have your whole life ahead of you to find a partner and again, I'd wager, it's that negative cloud telling you that nobody wants to go out with you. Hang in there bud, be as nice on yourself as possible and remember this will most likely pass. :)

Jernal wrote: »
    Just going to focus on this. This is how you FEEL not necessarily the reality of how things are. How you feel is very bloody important but don't ever let those feeling trick you into denying the reality that you are intelligent (you got a freaking Undergrad!),

Only* a 2.2 though. :o Personal problems coupled with having chosen the wrong course, one that really didn't play to my strength at all, made it impossible to get any better result. :( I got a really good score in my Leaving Cert, and even got a Govt. scholarship to do my undergrad based on my LC results......sadly, LC tests memory (and I do have an above-average memory) rather than actual problem solving skills (which I am sorely lacking in) :(
    you have talents (you can write posts quite legibly, you're working on dissertations and that's all I can surmise from the web, I'm sure there are others) you can always make friends (strangers are the friends you've yet to meet) you have your whole life ahead of you to find a partner and again, I'd wager, it's that negative cloud telling you that nobody wants to go out with you. Hang in there bud, be as nice on yourself as possible and remember this will most likely pass. :)

Thanks for your kind words. :) However, from what I can gauge, it doesn't take much to write legible posts here (I was well versed in text speak until I was 18 or 19, and far more than old enough to know better!!) and I look at people with less academic achievements than me who seem to be in a much better situation financially and personally than I am....and that kind of hurts. :( Doing well in exams was the only thing I was ever good at as a child and a teenager; I got the highest results in my year for both Junior Cert and Leaving Cert, for example, but those "achievements" mean nothing now. They won't get me a job ahead of someone with a 2.1. :(

I do appreciate the kind words though so thank you.

*"Only a 2.2" = strictly from the point of view of employers - personally, having experienced how difficult it is to get any sort of undergad degree, and how easy it is for other life circumstances to get in the way, I'd never look down on anyone with a 3rd or lower. I hope that my post doesn't come across as snobby toward anyone with a 2.2 or less; that's not my intention I swear!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

I have an MSc dissertation due in a week that I'm dreading. :( I put a lot of work into it but most of that work didn't yield any fruitful results, so I'm terrified that what I'm actually able to write about will be considered too basic and not good enough for MSc standard. :(
    !

A result is a result. If you did not get what you expected but your methods were good then you have some interesting talking points.

If you got results because your method didn't quite work, mileage can be gotten through your conclusion and discussion on future work.

Having an issue and not knowing is one thing while having an issue and recognising it is another. Chin up! =)

I am in a similar position to you as I have a MSc dissertation due soon so we best keep at it!

bbk wrote: »
    A result is a result. If you did not get what you expected but your methods were good then you have some interesting talking points.

If you got results because your method didn't quite work, mileage can be gotten through your conclusion and discussion on future work.

Having an issue and not knowing is one thing while having an issue and recognising it is another. Chin up! =)

I am in a similar position to you as I have a MSc dissertation due soon so we best keep at it!

Thanks bbk.

Tbh, while I am extremely worried about this dissertation mark, what I'm worried about more is all the shít that happens after. I just can't shake the feeling that I'm completely useless to society; I know that family and *some* (not all) care about me, and would miss me if I was gone.......but it just doesn't seem enough. Like I just don 't have enough incentive to keep on living, especially since most of my hopes and desires are bound to be dashed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

I really feel for you Lukesmom, but the only practical advice I can give you is ask someone you know for help. It's not like you're asking them to do it every day and people are usually happy to do something to help a friend (after all you helped your friend out recently if I remember). You would ask if you broke your arm, so this should be no different.

If the above is not at all feasible, then get out of the house early with the little ones and let them let off steam running around in the fresh air, then home for a snuggle together in front of the telly. Or let them do something that doesnt require too much input from you, like stick them in the bath with cups and toys and supervise. Just don't overthink tomorrow too much today, it might not turn out too badly.

Hope tomorrow is better than you expect.

Need help don't feel right at all

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

If you feel your situation is deteriorating you should get the doctor in or go to A&E.

murria wrote: »
    If you feel your situation is deteriorating you should get the doctor in or go to A&E.

I don't feel it's deteriorating I just need to fix it before it does. And I need Tuesday to come like now. Every minute is like an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I feel like it's just me, but I'm tired of not being able to have an argument with someone without feeling ****, and upset.

Trying to stop myself crying is just about impossible.

Advertisement