Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Turtwig wrote: »
    There are undoubtedly cultural aspects to depression but in general people in a developing country will die from other ailments before depression can strike them. To put it another way, everyone today that survives appendicitis has a chance of picking up another illness. The more illnesses that a society can treat the greater the chances of a person in that society being afflicted by what might initially have been a rarer illness. Not saying depression was a rarer illness but now more people can get it either way. :)

not true...people in poor countries are more focussed on basics and surviving. and have priorities straighter than here . simpler lives. sure they get depressed but they work and live on.
    and with little access to medical care and stronger family units...

much of the depression we see here if lifestyle related. tends to be a disease of rich countries when folk are pressured to perform. when keeping up with others takes priority over surviving.

i have family working in india with the very poor.

i am now very much a drop out and am more at peace than ever before and grateful for poor health that has given me stronger priorities. and have rejected standard western chemical based medecine. after decades of following it and getting more and more depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

As the guy in the ted talk said, the non poor know something is up because they are depressed despite having a reasonably comfortable life. The poor go un diagnosed because they don't even realise they are suffering depression themselves because in their mind it's a natural state of being if one is in their circumstances. (And no mr iPad autocorrect, When I said 'one' I didn't really mean to say Oboe)

Calibos wrote: »
    As the guy in the ted talk said, the non poor know something is up because they are depressed despite having a reasonably comfortable life. The poor go un diagnosed because they don't even realise they are suffering depression themselves because in their mind it's a natural state of being if one is in their circumstances. (And no mr iPad autocorrect, When I said 'one' I didn't really mean to say Oboe)

disagree...live way below the poverty line and am deeply grateful for bare necessities. very few poor folk are clinically depressed. they have more resilience and sense

the non poor have lost their sense of values; drinking salt water syndrome. that is not clinical depression.
    over diagnosed. misdiagnosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Graces7 wrote: »
    disagree...live way below the poverty line and am deeply grateful for bare necessities. very few poor folk are clinically depressed. they have more resilience and sense

the non poor have lost their sense of values; drinking salt water syndrome. that is not clinical depression.

Money makes us depressed. Gotcha :confused:
    Maybe the reason very few poor people are clinically depressed is because they can't afford to get assessed by a medical professional?

As for the bolded part.. I won't even start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Typical old fashioned view.
    I hope to god a younger relation of yours never suffers from it because that 'cop on to yourself' attitude is what hits a lot of people hard when they do try and reach out.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

my opinion is that its a mix of things.

Firstly, if you are struggling to have your basic needs met then you are probably very much living in "the now". regardless of your socio economic situation, mindfulness is a good thing, even if that's paying attention to just getting by. So, causation != correlation in this case. Money doesn't have a direct effect but is a correlated effect perhaps.

Secondly, non-diagnosis is likely. Most doctors in these areas are focused on the physical needs of the population.

Thirdly, poorer countries tend to have 3 generations living under the same roof and closer familial ties. That leads to more "looking out for each other" and helps with communication. Isolation would be a key factor in many people's depression so again, this just happens to be correlated with poverty.

Fourth, poorer countries will tend to be agricultural and poor people will do more manual work. That means physical exercise and fresh air. Thats a positive as we have mostly all experienced here.

Fifth, sun. Northern Europe, Northern America are both... north! :) Many of the worlds poorest countries are in much hotter sunnier climates. That seems to have an effect, particularly upon the production of Melatonin which is know to effect some people's depression. Race may also play a part too... most rich folk are white folk. There is likely a racial correlation there rather than a monetary causation.

So, there are many complex reasons some of which are correlated with poverty, some with social structure, some race and some with environment as to why it might seem that poorer countries have less depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Hello everyone!

It has been awhile since I posted here.

I wish you all a wonderful Easter break.

There is something wonderful about Easter and Spring( I am not speaking from a religious perspective), it is a new start. Nature comes alive again, birds animals return from their hibernation.

Please grab the opportunity to look at nature springing back before our eyes. Take a walk in the park, the tulips are in full bloom, squirrels are now running about the place, and the leaves on the remaining trees are just about to bloom.

Nature is a wonderful thing, we can learn a lot from it. The simple things in life are free. Perhaps it is time to jump on the Spring Train and take a fresh start. Nature is not complicated, yet our lives can become very complicated.

Perhaps it is time to forget matters which have tortured us in the past and like nature live in the now!

Remember like the birds and the flowers you are precious too! It is time to be gentle and kind with ourselves, and put ourselves first.

Be happy, be alive , be free of negative thoughts which should be left behind like the Winter!

So over the Easter break take some time out to rest, get out and about and look at what is happening in your garden, window box or local park.

Remember most of all you are worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I think the fact that expectations be it educational/careers/body shape/relationships ect wouldn't be as prominent an issue in poorer economies has a lot to do with it. When you're too busy trying to survive/make ends meat you don't really have time to indulge in your own self pity/ wallow in your perceived short comings/failures.

For so many less fortunate, they know what life has in store for them from the outset. Wheras we set ourselves(perhaps due to pressure from family or society) all sorts of goals and expectations and if we fail to achieve these or they don't bring you the happiness you thought they would imo this explains why it's a far bigger issue in the more developed world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

not true...people in poor countries are more focussed on basics and surviving. and have priorities straighter than here . simpler lives. sure they get depressed but they work and live on.
    and with little access to medical care and stronger family units...

much of the depression we see here if lifestyle related. tends to be a disease of rich countries when folk are pressured to perform. when keeping up with others takes priority over surviving.

i have family working in india with the very poor.

i am now very much a drop out and am more at peace than ever before and grateful for poor health that has given me stronger priorities. and have rejected standard western chemical based medecine. after decades of following it and getting more and more depressed.

Complete opposite to how it affected me. I have been following chemical based medicine and have gotten more and more happier - fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MrSchecter

[Redacted]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rayrocks88

I'm on 90mg a day, they make me very moody and I was told that when I get mad my eyes turn black the blue in my eyes is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Hi Guys

Dont know what I'm doing? I have depression and have fought it twice now in my life. What triggers it is anxiety, and what helped me fight it last time was Cymbalta. Found it good. last time was 18 months ago and weaned off meds about 6 months ago. No support groups in my locality either.

But it is creeping back in the last few weeks and has a good grip on me now.

I know what I have to do but I would like some advice from people who have walked in my shoes. Never before has it affected my work but this time around it is and I'm struggling to be honest. I work in IT and its fairly stressful and has an out of hours rota which is the biggest problem. The thought of people being able to reach into you life / space at a whim and be fairly nasty and abusive is whats pushing me down. It's non negotiable with the job.

Should I approach my employers about the situation? What would happen if I did? Would they have grounds to sack me?

I know your all thinking, get a new job your health comes first well I have the old chestnut, married, young family, mortgage, car and all bills associated and of course a lack of jobs in my locality.

Moving isn't an option as my wife works locally and I know if I move away for work being alone is far worse for me.

I haven't eaten a bite all day and I'm feeling terrible. I dont drink hardly at all anymore, maybe a glass of wine or two with a meal maybe once every 1-2 months. Dont do drugs. Just a regular guy really?

I would love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks

GP

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone ,
    a very close friend of mine is suffering very badly with depression at the moment , (she has for years- on medication and has seen people about it.)
    I'd just love to hear from people who have suffered themselves how best i can support her.
    what are things you would like a friend to do /say when you feel low ?
    I know it differs person to person but..
    When would you like friends to step in and when would you like to be left alone for a bit?
    thanks

Tell her that you're there for her when she needs you. Leave her messages, try to keep in contact. Feeling lonely has always been a thing for me when I get pretty down those emotions just come up and support all the negativity floating around in your head.

Also it does depend on the person, typically I understand when I am 'hitting the low point' and understand that its not me but just my ****ed uncontrollable emotions(No one can control there emotions afterall) that simply do whatever they want whenever they want regardless of whats happening in my life.

If you leave her messages and stuff she may not respond for ages, but leaving them is the most important thing...it shows that you care and feeling like someone cares for you is great right? Sometimes depressed people, no matter what anyone does, feels like they aren't liked or simply cannot understand 'why' someone would like them. Bah. I gotta go but yeah...positive reinforcement is what you can do :pac:

Also, it's cool that you are here asking this, none of my friends ever did.(Not that I blame them or anything, some people just don't know how to react)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

FaganJr wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Dont know what I'm doing? I have depression and have fought it twice now in my life. What triggers it is anxiety, and what helped me fight it last time was Cymbalta. Found it good. last time was 18 months ago and weaned off meds about 6 months ago. No support groups in my locality either.

But it is creeping back in the last few weeks and has a good grip on me now.

I know what I have to do but I would like some advice from people who have walked in my shoes. Never before has it affected my work but this time around it is and I'm struggling to be honest. I work in IT and its fairly stressful and has an out of hours rota which is the biggest problem. The thought of people being able to reach into you life / space at a whim and be fairly nasty and abusive is whats pushing me down. It's non negotiable with the job.

Should I approach my employers about the situation? What would happen if I did? Would they have grounds to sack me?

I know your all thinking, get a new job your health comes first well I have the old chestnut, married, young family, mortgage, car and all bills associated and of course a lack of jobs in my locality.

Moving isn't an option as my wife works locally and I know if I move away for work being alone is far worse for me.

I haven't eaten a bite all day and I'm feeling terrible. I dont drink hardly at all anymore, maybe a glass of wine or two with a meal maybe once every 1-2 months. Dont do drugs. Just a regular guy really?

I would love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks

GP

First things first: acknowledge that you and your body (including mind) are simply under prolonged strain and stress and that you have to tackle that as a matter of importance, life and death. That is your most immediate problem. The good thing is if you do take very small steps in the right direction in this area everything else will start becoming easier and easier until one day you will chuckle to yourself how easy it is.

But I stress, it must be tackled. It is straightforward though, there's an element of trust involved on your part but once you start feeling that stress go from your body you will not know your own mind and capabilities to handle anything. The next stage (which will come naturally if you rid yourself of the physical and mental spasming) is acceptance of your current situation. Acceptance of what you have to do and a consistently relaxed approach to it. Your attitude to things will also change naturally and things will happen in your stride.

After a couple of months you will be confident enough to start making decisions re: work changes etc. but I wouldn't do anything to hasty now while you are in a bit of a fog, you can't see enough of the picture. You have responsibilities to others but if you apply that same noble determination to yourself I promise you will be a changed man.

just my take on it from extensive experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I'm genuinely close to setting a date lately.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I'm genuinely close to setting a date lately.

What do you mean Timmy? Setting a date for what???

The past two weeks or so have been better than usual. I'm stuck at home again but for some reasons my moods haven't been too bad. I've put myself out there and applied for jobs and made time to try and get out of the house. I've no idea how long I can keep this up, and whether everything will just go to shít again really soon, but I've definitely felt worse and a lot more hopeless and helpless than I do. Here's hoping this current "up" period continues.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Good stuff homer I'm in a similar position hope we both keep going well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Co Worker ate me today, feel like crap, in bed now.

efb wrote: »
    Co Worker ate me today, feel like crap, in bed now.

Don't let them get to you. It is a nice evening out there , get some fresh air and put it behind you! You are being hard on yourself by going to bed , be kind to yourself, have a nice walk and an ice cream.

Spoli yourself.

Tomorrow is another day

Del

• Advertisement

Not a great day mood wise. So disappointing after being down for 2 weeks and a med change made me well again. Been well for a fortnight hopefully today just an off day x best wishes to you all x

lukesmom wrote: »
    Not a great day mood wise. So disappointing after being down for 2 weeks and a med change made me well again. Been well for a fortnight hopefully today just an off day x best wishes to you all x

Take good care of yourself.

This temporary down phase will pass.

Sincerely

Del

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

anyone get a phase where constant napping and sleeping is a joy as a means of escaping from reality?

anyone get a phase where constant napping and sleeping is a joy as a means of escaping from reality?

Sleeping and napping can be a means of escaping from reality , but also a very necessary function in terms of aiding recovery.

Be gentle with yourself

D

lukesmom wrote: »

dear child...you should know by now that we all have ups and downs. and that there is no miracle drug that will alter this. accept the pattern that is life. do you think i am not down just now....unable to work, to wash even myself properly, in almost constant pain from my wrist etc. you can choose how you respond to ups and downs. choose life, light or darkness. i choose life, to bear with the downs.

we all have it in us to do that. i know this from a long life of illness and pain of all kinds.

the meds did not alter anything. your hope did that. being down does not mean you are not well.

just like the tides. in and out, day and night. without the night we would not see the day.

sleeping is reality. one of the 9 characteristics of living things.

joy is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seen a doctor in my university a few weeks back who recommended I go to pieta house, I haven't to date and don't think it will help as no matter what people tell me I just don't listen. I don't have the time really to do this as I can't be arsed to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think people should leave the medicine advice to the professionals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Feeling down right ****ty or feeling sorry for myself.
    Tired emotional irritable grrrrrrr

Must be a full moon or something everyone I have spoken too over the last two days seems to be the same.

****think happy thoughs,think happy thoughts****

• Advertisement

Seen a doctor in my university a few weeks back who recommended I go to pieta house, I haven't to date and don't think it will help as no matter what people tell me I just don't listen. I don't have the time really to do this as I can't be arsed to try it.

pieta house is good but your choice of course. you w ill never know unless you do....

Advertisement