Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

handbagmad wrote: »
    Feeling down right ****ty or feeling sorry for myself.
    Tired emotional irritable grrrrrrr

Must be a full moon or something everyone I have spoken too over the last two days seems to be the same.

****think happy thoughs,think happy thoughts****

Be gentle with yourself. You are in a low mood phase, it will pass.

Don't be hard on yourself. Chill, relax, take it easy. You are worth it!!!!

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I didn't get out of bed. Two minds whether to go to work tomorrow

efb wrote: »
    I think people should leave the medicine advice to the professionals

Agree strongly.

If anyone has a concern regarding their meds , the best person to discuss it with is their prescribing Doctor.

D

I didn't get out of bed. Two minds whether to go to work tomorrow

OK , so you decided to stay in bed and chill instead. Nothing wrong with that!

Perhaps you needed the rest?.

Tomorrow is another day. You may feel like heading into work when you wake up tomorrow.?

Just don't know if I'm strong enough for the drama

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Been seeing a (brilliant) counsellor in Pieta House for last week or two.Suicidal ideation is stil there but not as frequent or scary as before.Really is a fantastic service they provide.

Only thing I'm worried about is when my 15 sessions are up and I go back to trying to struggle by on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

handbagmad wrote: »
    Feeling down right ****ty or feeling sorry for myself.
    Tired emotional irritable grrrrrrr

Must be a full moon or something everyone I have spoken too over the last two days seems to be the same.

****think happy thoughs,think happy thoughts****

I'm the same very emotional today.

Been seeing a (brilliant) counsellor in Pieta House for last week or two.Suicidal ideation is stil there but not as frequent or scary as before.Really is a fantastic service they provide.

Only thing I'm worried about is when my 15 sessions are up and I go back to trying to struggle by on my own.

Live in the Now! Don't be worrying about when your 15 sessions are up.

Take each session as it happens, you will grow stronger as a result of each session and learn the correct coping methods.

One day at a time!

Just don't know if I'm strong enough for the drama

Never underestimate your own abilities!

Go into work and see how it goes?

If you stay out tomorrow it will be even harder going back on Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 OneoOne1

Never underestimate your own abilities!

Go into work and see how it goes?

If you stay out tomorrow it will be even harder going back on Wednesday?

Couldn't agree more. Putting it off will only make it worse.

As with the vast majority of things you worry about in life, they almost never end up being as bad as you expect. Check out Cognative Behavioural therapy (CBT) It is very good with showing you how to deal with such situations

Best of luck

• Advertisement

Going back today

Going back today

Well done !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

anyone get a phase where constant napping and sleeping is a joy as a means of escaping from reality?

Reason I was at a low ebb yesterday was down to leaving my job with nothing lined up.

Woke up this morning with notice of an interview for a new job though :):)

Reason I was at a low ebb yesterday was down to leaving my job with nothing lined up.

Excellent news, well done!

Be proud of yourself and take one day at a time.

Cheers

D.

That's great news best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Feeling awful. I want to get my hair done but I'm feeling too depressed to even get there

Trying to distract myself today as much as I can. Anxiety is there. Why oh why is it back? I've been doing so well. Fk off anxiety I don't need or want you.

pinkstars wrote: »
    Feeling awful. I want to get my hair done but I'm feeling too depressed to even get there

Come on, you can do it. Getting your hair done may be just the lift you need.

Go treat yourself and on the way back treat yourself to a nice coffee to celebrate.

You deserve it !

Going out to my mothers house with the kids for a little picnic, might do me good.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Trying to distract myself today as much as I can. Anxiety is there. Why oh why is it back? I've been doing so well. Fk off anxiety I don't need or want you.

Well said! Fcuk off anxiety!!!!!!

It is a beautiful spring day, why not get out in the fresh air, go into your garden or go out for a walk

Blue skies, sunshine, ice tea.......close your eyes, pretend you are on hols for the afternoon.

Why not treat yourself to a slice of your favourite gateau. You deserve it !

Spoil yourself!

It may not get rid of the anxiety , but you could leave it out of your life for today.

You are worth it

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »
    Going out to my mothers house with the kids for a little picnic, might do me good.

Excellent idea! Exactly the way to do it.

I'm very proud of you. Well done!

Will you keep me a slice of cake please, and a nice cup of tea?

Cheers!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sit down and have a long search inside to see what you are anxious about. I've been having the same thing lately, anxiety but no clear reason why now...

I've sat a few times (sometimes with more success than other times!) and tried to see what my subconscious is worried about. Even the act of facing up to it kinda makes me feel better because I'm facing it and doing something about it. Sometimes though, if I'm really honest with myself, I'll know whats bothering me and I can feel the source of the anxiety. The only way that I can deal with it then is to face it head on and explore pandoras box.

For example, over xmas my finances were worrying me. I didnt know it because I had pushed it all deep down (like most good irish men :) ) and suppressed my concerns. Eventually I figured it out and the only way I could deal with it was to open Excel, put down all the costs I could think of , all the income and the current state of affairs and face the music so to speak. As always, inevitably, it wasnt nearly as bad as I had thought but I realised that for the previous few weeks I hadnt even opened my bank account online because I didnt want to see the numbers. That "unknown" had grown and grown in my head into a huge scary monster of a problem which in reality wasnt much of an issue at all....

It takes some courage but my experience has been that if I steel myself and face my fears... they arent real, they dissolve away.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Unless you can go for a picnic.

In which case, do that. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Besonders

DeVore wrote: »
    Unless you can go for a picnic.

In which case, do that. :)

Unless like me who spent the morning painting my garden furniture in "Spain" , and this after lunch I am painting my garden shed in "Italy" !!!

Let your imagination run wild, it is a gorgeous day, you can be wherever you want for the afternoon. Just get out there an enjoy the sunshine.

Bring a picnic with you too and a couple of cold drinks.

Go enjoy life!!!

Have a great afternoon folks

del

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Pretty much at the end of my Cymbalta withdrawl. Zaps pretty much gone. Emotional roller-coaster of withdrawl pretty much gone.

Now back to my natural state pre SSRI which was happy most of the time but with a shorter temper and the same things that annoyed/stressed/depressed me before are still there and Annoying me, Stressing me, depressing me.

These are things that anyone would be annoyed/stressed/depressed about. When I say shorter temper I mean compared to when on the SSRI's. As short tempers go most people outside my immediate family would say 'if I was any more laid back I'd be horizontal'. Its all relative though. I am short tempered in comparison to my horizontal family.

I think I can safely say that all the SNRI did for me was make me apathetic to what annoyed/stressed/depressed me. These things weren't something that could be CBT'd away. Its aspects of my situation that need to be changed not my mindset about them. You can't change your mindset on things where you have the same mindset on them as most normal people on the planet or where the basis for aspects of the mindset is from a deep instinctual level that even monkeys exhibit in studies.

So I can medicate away the mindset to a state of apathy with drugs or just deal with it till my circumstances change. I'll try and maintain a state of mindfulness and analyse my reactions and thought processes etc etc going forward. If it stays the way it is right now I can deal with it but if it gets worse I guess its back onto a different SSRI to apathise myself till circumstances change.

To clarify though. The Cymbalta didn't make me apathetic across the emotional spectrum. I was able to feel joy and laugh all the time. ie. Don't fear that they'll turn you into an emotional zombie or anything. They did rob me of my motivation and increased my pro-crastinational tendencies though. Now that I can be arsed doing things again though the fact I can't do some/a lot of them for the reasons that never went away annoys/stressesand depresses me again.

I'm not even sure what I mean tbh. Just trying to write things down to help me self analyse I guess.

Calibos wrote: »
    Pretty much at the end of my Cymbalta withdrawl. Zaps pretty much gone. Emotional roller-coaster of withdrawl pretty much gone.

Now back to my natural state pre SSRI which was happy most of the time but with a shorter temper and the same things that annoyed/stressed/depressed me before are still there and Annoying me, Stressing me, depressing me.

These are things that anyone would be annoyed/stressed/depressed about. When I say shorter temper I mean compared to when on the SSRI's. As short tempers go most people outside my immediate family would say 'if I was any more laid back I'd be horizontal'. Its all relative though. I am short tempered in comparison to my horizontal family.

I think I can safely say that all the SNRI did for me was make me apathetic to what annoyed/stressed/depressed me. These things weren't something that could be CBT'd away. Its aspects of my situation that need to be changed not my mindset about them. You can't change your mindset on things where you have the same mindset on them as most normal people on the planet or where the basis for aspects of the mindset is from a deep instinctual level that even monkeys exhibit in studies.

So I can medicate away the mindset to a state of apathy with drugs or just deal with it till my circumstances change. I'll try and maintain a state of mindfulness and analyse my reactions and thought processes etc etc going forward. If it stays the way it is right now I can deal with it but if it gets worse I guess its back onto a different SSRI to apathise myself till circumstances change.

To clarify though. The Cymbalta didn't make me apathetic across the emotional spectrum. I was able to feel joy and laugh all the time. ie. Don't fear that they'll turn you into an emotional zombie or anything. They did rob me of my motivation and increased my pro-crastinational tendencies though. Now that I can be arsed doing things again though the fact I can't do some/a lot of them for the reasons that never went away annoys/stressesand depresses me again.

I'm not even sure what I mean tbh. Just trying to write things down to help me self analyse I guess.

Just trying to write things down to help me self analyse I guess.

Fantastic. ! By writing things down it is easier to identify issues and prioritise them in order of importance.

In our day to day lives numerous things are going on in our heads,
    that does not even count issues that are forced upon us from outside sources.

By doing a little stock taking of the mind , or analysis by writing things down we not only de clutter our heads and identify which issues are of most importance and least importance and indeed issues which are perhaps of no importance at all but potentially a distraction which may cause unnecessary anxiety.

Calibos,

Delighted to read you are doing well. Keep up the good work.

Most important of all learn to put yourself first .

Be confident and enjoy life.

Best wishes

del

Morning all.

I don't see my psych doc for another two weeks. Had med increase two weeks ago and was doing great but past few days have had anxiety. Don't know what to do really. Hate feeling this way. Trying to take control of it but it's tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Good thread.
    But what's the story with the title. I don't really understand it.
    Not criticising it, I'm just wondering what it means.

• Advertisement

Good thread.
    But what's the story with the title. I don't really understand it.
    Not criticising it, I'm just wondering what it means.

I think it's just a lighthearted way of inviting people in to talk about their problems. So it's not scary just relaxed.

Advertisement