Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, I have a penchant for provocative titles. :)

I'm also pretty tired of the way we approach mental health discussions in Ireland... it tends to be like someone has died. Hushed tones and all gravity and seriousness. And yeah, its a serious topic and I would never mock anyone's mental health state.... except my own. I get that right and hence I wanted to look at myself and my depression in a more humourous self-effacing way.

Theres a group who take that idea and really do it well called Mad Pride http://www.madprideireland.ie/
    They own the "stigma" and turn it around and normalise it. I think its genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

DeVore wrote: »
    Sit down and have a long search inside to see what you are anxious about. I've been having the same thing lately, anxiety but no clear reason why now...

I've sat a few times (sometimes with more success than other times!) and tried to see what my subconscious is worried about. Even the act of facing up to it kinda makes me feel better because I'm facing it and doing something about it. Sometimes though, if I'm really honest with myself, I'll know whats bothering me and I can feel the source of the anxiety. The only way that I can deal with it then is to face it head on and explore pandoras box.

For example, over xmas my finances were worrying me. I didnt know it because I had pushed it all deep down (like most good irish men :) ) and suppressed my concerns. Eventually I figured it out and the only way I could deal with it was to open Excel, put down all the costs I could think of , all the income and the current state of affairs and face the music so to speak. As always, inevitably, it wasnt nearly as bad as I had thought but I realised that for the previous few weeks I hadnt even opened my bank account online because I didnt want to see the numbers. That "unknown" had grown and grown in my head into a huge scary monster of a problem which in reality wasnt much of an issue at all....

It takes some courage but my experience has been that if I steel myself and face my fears... they arent real, they dissolve away.

You've mentioned this before, I was wondering what exactly you do when you identify what is the problem? Your physical anxiety symptoms go away once you talk to yourself and say 'that's dealt with'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

^Sometimes just putting a name to it is enough to lessen the impact of whatever's bothering me.

Maybe what DeVore is talking about is similar to what I do before exams. I sit down the night before and write out (by hand) all of the things that are worrying me about the exam. All the fears I have, freezing, forgetting, messing up etc. and all of the potential consequences. Just writing that stuff down really helps lessen the stress, because it's like getting it out of my head. It's almost physically removing part of the stress onto a piece of paper. It's important for me to write it down on a page, not onto the computer screen, because I can then pick up that page and throw it away. Physically. Adding a little realism to the experience. When all the stress is just in my head, sloshing around, and I'm going into all sorts of repetitive spirals round and round, nothing's helped by thinking about it. But writing it out puts a structure on the worry, makes it easier to see, and therefore easier to see it relative to the rest of your world and to see that it's not usually as big as it feels when it's just inside my head.

I do it every couple of weeks for the rest of my life too, just write down all the stuff that's bothering me. Even analysing the way I act and behave and the various approaches (destructive or otherwise) that I take to situations and people. It's an approach that works for me, but only when I'm being brutally honest, both about the bad and the good.

But being able to pick it up with my hand and scrunch it up and throw it away makes all the difference. Getting worry out of my head onto an actual concrete external piece of paper. I guess it's a way to trick my mind, but it works, a little bit anyway.

Of course, it's not going to work when things get beyond a certain point, but that's why we have doctors and medication and support networks and friends and so on. But maybe every little bit helps. Worth a go. I'd recommend it to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

So I rang the mental health centre and went in to see the nurse who increased my seroquel dosage again and have given me an appointment to see the psychiatrist next week. Have to say they are brilliant and always at the other end of the phone when I need to speak to somebody or for reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Besonders wrote: »

Very good description of mindfulness by Tolle there.
    He really goes through it well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Finally got my Medical card replaced. Woop woo. I can still use a referral letter to psych ward in Hosptial even though it was issued 1+months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Reason I was at a low ebb yesterday was down to leaving my job with nothing lined up.

Woke up this morning with notice of an interview for a new job though :):)

Got the job! :)

Got the job! :)

Congratulations!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Felt low and stupid two nights ago so took 10 solpadine and 8 dispersible 300mg aspirin in a 1.5l bottle of volvic and have had a cramp in my lower left back and gut since yesterday morning, am passing urine as normal, was a stupid thing to do as I want to die not make a fool of myself, don't know why I keep feeling like this all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Felt low and stupid two nights ago so took 10 solpadine and 8 dispersible 300mg aspirin in a 1.5l bottle of volvic and have had a cramp in my lower left back and gut since yesterday morning, am passing urine as normal, was a stupid thing to do as I want to die not make a fool of myself, don't know why I keep feeling like this all the time.

Don't be hard on yourself. Perhaps you should pay a visit to your GP?

Be kind to yourself!

d

• Advertisement

If you are feeling suicidal you should think about presenting yourself at your nearest A&E. Somebody will be able to help you, there is help out there.

mickstupp wrote: »
    ^Sometimes just putting a name to it is enough to lessen the impact of whatever's bothering me.

Maybe what DeVore is talking about is similar to what I do before exams. I sit down the night before and write out (by hand) all of the things that are worrying me about the exam. All the fears I have, freezing, forgetting, messing up etc. and all of the potential consequences. Just writing that stuff down really helps lessen the stress, because it's like getting it out of my head. It's almost physically removing part of the stress onto a piece of paper. It's important for me to write it down on a page, not onto the computer screen, because I can then pick up that page and throw it away. Physically. Adding a little realism to the experience. When all the stress is just in my head, sloshing around, and I'm going into all sorts of repetitive spirals round and round, nothing's helped by thinking about it. But writing it out puts a structure on the worry, makes it easier to see, and therefore easier to see it relative to the rest of your world and to see that it's not usually as big as it feels when it's just inside my head.

I do it every couple of weeks for the rest of my life too, just write down all the stuff that's bothering me. Even analysing the way I act and behave and the various approaches (destructive or otherwise) that I take to situations and people. It's an approach that works for me, but only when I'm being brutally honest, both about the bad and the good.

But being able to pick it up with my hand and scrunch it up and throw it away makes all the difference. Getting worry out of my head onto an actual concrete external piece of paper. I guess it's a way to trick my mind, but it works, a little bit anyway.

Of course, it's not going to work when things get beyond a certain point, but that's why we have doctors and medication and support networks and friends and so on. But maybe every little bit helps. Worth a go. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Great post, well done!

Think in ink !

Thanks

d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jesus yer one beside b being a right B today! Asked another colleague for help, she was showing me- yer wan turns around "he should know that!"

efb wrote: »
    Jesus yer one beside b being a right B today! Asked another colleague for help, she was showing me- yer wan turns around "he should know that!"

Don't mind her, her problem not yours :)

The office bitch! Every office has one................pay no attention and keep your head down. You have a Bank Holiday Weekend to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

GO TO THE DOCTOR / HOSPITAL.

The poisoning from these things can take days to damage your kidneys/liver and whatever else. Do not let it sit.

AND if you are suicidal go for help please. There are solutions, things that help etc. You just can't see that through an illness that is telling you nothing can be done.

Please please go for help. I've seen people die or suffer this way in the past and it is unspeakably horrible for them and their friends and families.

GO TO THE ****ING DOCTOR NOW. PLEASE.

Life is a journey, not a guided tour !

Back to work Doc next week

Life will only get Better when you DO

Back to work Doc next week

How do you feel?

• Advertisement

How do you feel?

Don't know

Don't know
    Who suggested visiting the work Doc?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

GO TO THE DOCTOR / HOSPITAL.

The poisoning from these things can take days to damage your kidneys/liver and whatever else. Do not let it sit.

AND if you are suicidal go for help please. There are solutions, things that help etc. You just can't see that through an illness that is telling you nothing can be done.

Please please go for help. I've seen people die or suffer this way in the past and it is unspeakably horrible for them and their friends and families.

GO TO THE ****ING DOCTOR NOW. PLEASE.

I went in and was told I would need to wait 5 hours and if a place freed up I would be admitted over the weekend, I left as the pain is not as bad as it was, I don't want to be in hospital as my life is too messy at the moment, I have now traveled to the train station and am making my way back to where I am staying I am scared at where my life is at the moment, I am going nowhere and am running out of patience with the **** I leek landing myself in.

Sorry for venting this here, I am off to do some thinking.

I went in and was told I would need to wait 5 hours and if a place freed up I would be admitted over the weekend, I left as the pain is not as bad as it was, I don't want to be in hospital as my life is too messy at the moment, I have now traveled to the train station and am making my way back to where I am staying I am scared at where my life is at the moment, I am going nowhere and am running out of patience with the **** I leek landing myself in.

Please stay safe and when your done thinking come back on here we will all support you x

Better to vent here!

You are among friends on this thread who wish the best for each other.

Do you want to post/talk further. Please feel free.

Do bear in mind Samaritans and Aware can be a great source of comfort if you wish to chat with someone now.

Please chillax and take great care of yourself. You are important to us here buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

What could I do that would make me feel better today.....hmmmmm....first night out last night in 3years, it was a fundraiser for my niece and all my old friends turned up....when the **** hits the fan, you know who your friends are, that's for sure! Gonna keep I'm contact now and not leave it as long for the next meet up. What people are saying to me at the moment really is my life is not a life sentence and that it's there to be lived, I am not even living my life, so am half people have been blunt and told me how it is...I love the support on this page and knowing I can come on here and say what's on my mind, helps so much, xx

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Oh and my psychiatrist told me just to get on with things, to get back to work, stop letting the anxiety and 'feel the fear and do it anyway' sort of thing....I think it's easy for her to say but maybe she is right I fear I can't do anything at the moment but if I just got up off my fat ass and tried it might be a very different story!!! Going back to work after being so distressed with anxiety and panic there the last time I was there, heading back on Thursday, any tips??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

pinkstars wrote: »
    Oh and my psychiatrist told me just to get on with things, to get back to work, stop letting the anxiety and 'feel the fear and do it anyway' sort of thing....I think it's easy for her to say but maybe she is right I fear I can't do anything at the moment but if I just got up off my fat ass and tried it might be a very different story!!! Going back to work after being so distressed with anxiety and panic there the last time I was there, heading back on Thursday, any tips??

I've never found psychiatrists very understanding.
    Are you or would it be possible for you, to see a counsellor and/or a CBT therapist?
    CBT is fantastic for learning to deal with anxiety and fear.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If people didnt vent on boards I would literally be out of a job.

And this site would be filled with tumbleweed!!

So, please vent away!

• Advertisement

I came home this evening and was going to buy cat food for my cat. Found a knocked down cat on my way to the shop, unfortunately it was my Taylor :(

Advertisement