Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

cloud493 wrote: »
    I feel like sobbing, I haven't felt this bad in quite a long time. But I can't. I just can't. I just feel bad.

Have a sob if you need it. Seriously, let it out. It's much worse for you to hold it in.

@stupidusername -- Any possibility of switching your doctor? Suicidal thoughts might be a common enough side effect of that antidepressant but that doesn't mean you can't switch to another. I'm not sure why she would want you to keep taking a tablet that has such severe side effects? :confused:

Maybe the trip to the Mater might be order. Hopefully there you might get a doctor who's more helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I feel like sobbing, I haven't felt this bad in quite a long time. But I can't. I just can't. I just feel bad.

maybe it would help just to write out what's going on?
    Millicent wrote: »
    @stupidusername -- Any possibility of switching your doctor? Suicidal thoughts might be a common enough side effect of that antidepressant but that doesn't mean you can't switch to another. I'm not sure why she would want you to keep taking a tablet that has such severe side effects? :confused:

Maybe the trip to the Mater might be order. Hopefully there you might get a doctor who's more helpful.

I will switch. I just don't deal with her much anymore so it hasn't been important. I know the they're a side effect, but I couldn't understand her saying they're a sign that they're working. She said, when I questioned her, that there's been studies done. this is my 5th anti-d, and it's working the best so far, even though i have these thoughts too. and i'm afraid of switching to another. the side effects can be pretty bad, and can all be for nothing, so it's a tough decision.

she didn't say she wanted to keep me on them exactly. she said my psychiatrist is to deal with that with me. hopefully the clinic will be back tomorrow and I can see her then. if not, i'll be holding onto this letter to call into casualty.

I will switch. I just don't deal with her much anymore so it hasn't been important. I know the they're a side effect, but I couldn't understand her saying they're a sign that they're working. She said, when I questioned her, that there's been studies done. this is my 5th anti-d, and it's working the best so far, even though i have these thoughts too. and i'm afraid of switching to another. the side effects can be pretty bad, and can all be for nothing, so it's a tough decision.

she didn't say she wanted to keep me on them exactly. she said my psychiatrist is to deal with that with me. hopefully the clinic will be back tomorrow and I can see her then. if not, i'll be holding onto this letter to call into casualty.

Getting your antidepressant right is no easy task. The worst one I had made me clench my jaw uncontrollably and grind my teeth. They were great craic. :pac:

Are you on them long, if you don't mind me asking? I was on one that took a little while for the worst effects to subside, including suicidal tendencies. Perhaps that's what she meant?

Getting your antidepressant right is no easy task. The worst one I had made my clench my jaw uncontrollably and grind my teeth. They were great craic. :pac:

Are you on them long, if you don't mind me asking? I was on one that took a little while for the worst effects to subside, including suicidal tendencies. Perhaps that's what she meant?

oh that sounds bad. with the current one if I don't eat when I'm hungry I'll start wretching (vomiting). the worst was probably the brain zaps. thank jebus I don't have them anymore, awful awful things - like an electric shock to your brain a couple of times every minute.

These ones I'm on around 3 months or so. started on 60mg, up to 90mg, and now on 120mg.

I know what you're saying, and yeah that makes sense for the thoughts to wear off, but that's definitely not what she was saying. she said that when people are so down, often they can't physically do enough to kill themselves, whereas when you're a little better you may want to, but that's a sign that the anti-d's are kicking in.

I was thinking of even coming down to 90mg again, and see how I am with that. I'll just have to see if my psych is there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

@Feeona, thank you. I do realise that when I'm not doing well that even kind remarks can set me off and I work hard to control that. Unfortuneately with this woman I'm not misunderstanding. You're right, it's not personal - she's caused two bullying cases against he company (both found against her), numerous staff have complained about her, we have customers who've sworn never to return because of her, even customers who've been in tears because of her. None of this makes it easier to deal with her however because I know that no matter how bad it gets no-one will stop her. Management don't care. So it's going to continue until I can get another job (which could be a million years) or until I break completely. Sorry, I'm ranting.

DeV, thank you for the advice but I've tried that and it just made things worse. I may have just been unlucky, my gp rekons so and gave me contact details for a different person but I haven't gone. I don't think I could cope with another half assed counselor/therapist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I hate depression meds. I refuse to take them nor will I no matter how bad I get. From my experience anyway they affected my creativity. When I was on them once a friend of mine told me I lost my romantic view of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Starting to see the light, starting to care more about my well being
    the thing is in my fourth year of a course I love I now no longer give a shít about it or doing well, or having a career.

Was having panic attacks over not getting a first, then worried about not getting 2:1, then the post grad funding was taken and now I don't give a shíte about working I just want to feel okay.

Can't defer but here it goes again just like the leaving cert just getting by because of how I feel is holding me back at the final hurdle.

Bleugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

saa wrote: »
    Starting to see the light, starting to care more about my well being
    the thing is in my fourth year of a course I love I now no longer give a shít about it or doing well, or having a career.

Was having panic attacks over not getting a first, then worried about not getting 2:1, then the post grad funding was taken and now I don't give a shíte about working I just want to feel okay.

Can't defer but here it goes again just like the leaving cert just getting by because of how I feel is holding me back at the final hurdle.

Bleugh.

This is where I am at the moment. Im doing a few projects for my post grad trying to do well enough to secure a phd but I was going through a tough time with it and I felt more depressed that my projects were suffering because of my depression. I would still say it to a programme officer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I hate depression meds. I refuse to take them nor will I no matter how bad I get. From my experience anyway they affected my creativity. When I was on them once a friend of mine told me I lost my romantic view of the world.

Funny that. Mine made me more creative; dissolved a lot of the cloud!

oh that sounds bad. with the current one if I don't eat when I'm hungry I'll start wretching (vomiting). the worst was probably the brain zaps. thank jebus I don't have them anymore, awful awful things - like an electric shock to your brain a couple of times every minute.

These ones I'm on around 3 months or so. started on 60mg, up to 90mg, and now on 120mg.

I know what you're saying, and yeah that makes sense for the thoughts to wear off, but that's definitely not what she was saying. she said that when people are so down, often they can't physically do enough to kill themselves, whereas when you're a little better you may want to, but that's a sign that the anti-d's are kicking in.

I was thinking of even coming down to 90mg again, and see how I am with that. I'll just have to see if my psych is there tomorrow.

I am not a doctor, but that sounds mental. Surely the cure shouldn't be worse than the illness? I don't want to diss your doctor, but I would be inclined to think she's talking out of her arse. When I told my doctor I was having suicidal thoughts on one med, he took me straight off them. Same with my brother and a different doctor. She may be right but it's definitely worth getting a second opinion.

The retching sounds nasty too. I'm kind of intrigued by the brain zaps! Electro shock therapy in a handy little pill?!

• Advertisement

Well I will be one way or another.

The brain zaps,trust me you dont want to experience them. You know when you're falling asleep and you get the sensation of falling and you jolt awake? Its similar to that feeling,in terms of shock,but all in your brain. It can be a side effect of cutting out efexor without weaning off it,had to do that myself. All I could do was sleep through it.

Well I will be one way or another.

The brain zaps,trust me you dont want to experience them. You know when you're falling asleep and you get the sensation of falling and you jolt awake? Its similar to that feeling,in terms of shock,but all in your brain. It can be a side effect of cutting out efexor without weaning off it,had to do that myself. All I could do was sleep through it.

Ooh, Efexor -- I've yet to meet anyone who reacted well to that one. IIRC, that's the one that gave me the compulsive teeth grinding. Made my brother suicidal too. Sounds really nasty. :( I hope you get one that suits you soon.

I'll keep ye updated (whether ye like it or not) :)

I'll keep ye updated (whether ye like it or not) :)

You'd bloody better! :) Let us know how you get on with casualty if you go, or the meds if you decide to change them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Ooh, Efexor -- I've yet to meet anyone who reacted well to that one.
    Same here. Nasty as fuck coming off of it too.

jammstarr wrote: »
    Same here. Nasty as fuck coming off of it too.

Horrible withdrawals. Better than the side effects all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It works for some. That's the thing about antidepressants, they don't work the same way for different people. I spent a fortnight on Lexapro once, which by most accounts is a perfectly fine antidepressant that causes buggerall problems for most people. But there I was having anxiety attacks, manic episodes and short term memory loss because of it all the same.

If one drug isn't working, see if you can try another. It's not a pleasant or even swift job, seeing which drugs work and which make you worse, but it's sometimes very necessary. Don't warn others off it, it might be the one drug that works well for them.

Kudos to everyone on this thread, again. You're all doing something wonderful by just posting here and sharing your experiences, or admitting you don't understand depression, or whatever. This is the sort of thing that raises awareness and destroys stigma, and maybe even makes its way into the corridors of power to affect policy. I hope this thread continues on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Started on efexxor last week after switching from citalopram,no noticeable positive or negative effects so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

anyone here take seroxat? have they had bad side effects? im on 30 mg years and anytime i try to get off it its way too hard.dont know what i would be like if i never took them but i wish i never did

Sarky wrote: »
    If one drug isn't working, see if you can try another. It's not a pleasant or even swift job, seeing which drugs work and which make you worse, but it's sometimes very necessary. Don't warn others off it, it might be the one drug that works well for them.

Sorry; I realise that's how my post came off and that wasn't intended. You're absolutely right -- different drugs work for different people. I was just relaying my own and others I know's experience with Efexor but I'm sure that's not the case for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Ooh, Efexor -- I've yet to meet anyone who reacted well to that one. IIRC, that's the one that gave me the compulsive teeth grinding. Made my brother suicidal too. Sounds really nasty. :( I hope you get one that suits you soon.

Went through hell starting on it in '09. For two weeks even the smell of food made me throw up - walking past the hot counter in dunnes wasn't a good idea at the time! Definitely worsened my mood for the first few months but thankfully they're doing the job now. Even going a day without them is rotten, the migraines and nausea, sometimes blackouts... Couldn't even begin to imagine what total sudden withdrawal would be like.

Edit: actually, while weird side effects are being mentioned, I noticed that since I started effexor I yawn all the time, even when I'm not tired. Literally every thirty seconds or so! And it actually caused really bad muscle tremors and spasms, and I constantly shook all the time to the point were strangers would ask me if I was okay. Dose was lowered to 225 since though, and I'm all good in that respect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

pokertalk wrote: »
    anyone here take seroxat? have they had bad side effects? im on 30 mg years and anytime i try to get off it its way too hard.dont know what i would be like if i never took them but i wish i never did

My dad is and I don't think he's noticed any. He says he's calmer and more under control than he can remember being for years. Hope you're as happy with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Have a sob if you need it. Seriously, let it out. It's much worse for you to hold it in.

I can't seem able to cry. I spent all night trying. And I got nothing. Just despair. It's quite worrying, but oh well.

I can't seem able to cry. I spent all night trying. And I got nothing. Just despair. It's quite worrying, but oh well.

Don't be worrying. Keep an eye on it -- if it becomes a regular thing that you need to cry and can't, then it becomes problematic. If you just need a prompt, I find a few weepy movies every now and then can do wonders. "It's a Wonderful Life" is a great one for the time of year. :)

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to feel a certain way either way. Don't beat yourself up about it; I know from experience that that's worse than you feel in the first place.

I find that in the past while too, if somethings getting to me, i'm down but it's like there's something physically stopping me from crying. I put it down to my meds though.

and I find that when I do start, while it's a relief obviously, it's also like everything sets me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Went through hell starting on it in '09. For two weeks even the smell of food made me throw up - walking past the hot counter in dunnes wasn't a good idea at the time! Definitely worsened my mood for the first few months but thankfully they're doing the job now. Even going a day without them is rotten, the migraines and nausea, sometimes blackouts... Couldn't even begin to imagine what total sudden withdrawal would be like.

Edit: actually, while weird side effects are being mentioned, I noticed that since I started effexor I yawn all the time, even when I'm not tired. Literally every thirty seconds or so! And it actually caused really bad muscle tremors and spasms, and I constantly shook all the time to the point were strangers would ask me if I was okay. Dose was lowered to 225 since though, and I'm all good in that respect now.

I had a nightmarish time on Effexor. It gave me uncontollable sweating and other horrible side-effects. Getting off it was no picnic either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I didnt read any of this thread until today as I presumed it was a piss take on depression and I wasnt interested in reading such a thread, anyway after seeing there were so many responses and it hadnt been locked I had a nosey. I just want to say well done to each and everyone of you guys, you are showing that depression is not the end of living a normal life, it can be dealt with and people learn to live very well with it. Your posts have surely opened my eyes to how common depression is and I would even bet are helping lots of people understand it better and remove any bit of stigma that still lingers around depression.

Thanks op for such an informative thread. Merry christmas and a very happy new year to you all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Wattle wrote: »
    I had a nightmarish time on Effexor. It gave me uncontollable sweating and other horrible side-effects. Getting off it was no picnic either.

Same here. Horrible drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Started on efexxor last week after switching from citalopram,no noticeable positive or negative effects so far.

Same here was on cymbalta first worked for awhile then started to have no effect,then was on citalopram and now have been on effexor for a month ,was not nice for first 3 weeks but starting to have an effect now starting to feel a little better,Only side effect i'm having is restless legs when trying to sleep with isn't nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Sharrow wrote: »
    Counselling can be at times like taking a mental/emotional dump.
    You shouldn't use friends and family as your mental/emotional toilet.
    It's not fair on them, it's not fair on you and it can be damaging to you both.

I dont think it works like that. Its kinda like saying to the drowning man not to be clutching and dragging the other person down to save yourself. Logically speaking, yes, the person with depression shouldnt use ones family members as an emotional dump but we dont fully understand the logic of depression so what does the sufferer do in times of desperation say? What if the services are not useful to the sufferer and the only emotional assistance that has been of any worth has been from the persons family?

This is the dilemma. I know it can be quite destructive when ones depression becomes the family's problem but because depression is such a unique problem, there is no fool proof solution. I think it largely boils down to desperation. How desperate the person is.

The worst part can be when the family try to engage or understand. Depending on the family members competence and ability to relate it can lead to so much frustration, anger, alienation and even resentment. I thought once I admitted that I was suffering of depression there would be a sense of consideration and perhaps some acknowledgement but my depression has in some way shown up peoples true colours. People who had great ideas about themselves, who thought they were altruistic, who believed that they had higher causes in society (even in the area of depression and suicide) have come up looking weak, self-contradictory and selfish.

I think you're very lucky if you have a family member who is strong, competent and who actually gives a crap. It probably would make a huge difference in the persons depression if they knew that people truly cared.

Advertisement