Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

handbagmad wrote: »
    +1 for mindfulness
    Great skills to learn and use
    Really do work when practiced

Yep . . One of the key things for me is to not place too much expectation on the techniques. Sometimes walking works, sometimes using the different meditating techniques work, but I used to just give up and dismiss things if they didn't work every time . .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea and I had kind of a moment yesterday where I realised I was anxious about not doing it well or 'failing' by losing concentration. Then I had the obvious thought that I don't have care about that I can have as many tries as I like, just go again.

I think I felt like any time I lost concentration I was having to 'start all over again' but really I was just picking up where I left off.

Sounds a bit stupid written down but it felt like I learned something practically rather than simply acknowledging it theoretically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I've been practising mindfulness as I hoover! The sound of the hoover, the area covered, the motion of it. Even washing dishes or waiting at the school to collect my son watching the world go by. Instant peace available for free 24/7. And if thoughts come in I gently guide them back by acknowledging and letting go. Such a simple technique but so powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

efb wrote: »
    I came home this evening and was going to buy cat food for my cat. Found a knocked down cat on my way to the shop, unfortunately it was my Taylor :(

oh no so sorry to hear that :( Some people really trivialise things like that but if I lost one of my cats I would be devastated. When my sisters cat passed, I cried for a whole day after, I never even met the cat! My sister dealt with it by burying the cat and making a little youtube picture collage of its life, was sweet, might be an idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

lukesmom wrote: »
    I've been practising mindfulness as I hoover! The sound of the hoover, the area covered, the motion of it. Even washing dishes or waiting at the school to collect my son watching the world go by. Instant peace available for free 24/7. And if thoughts come in I gently guide them back by acknowledging and letting go. Such a simple technique but so powerful.

Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

^ that's a lovely idea.

I had the same felling of frustration with mindfullness and "starting again" , think its a perfectionist thing.

I'm debating moving to a new job so its hard to keep the ruminations at a tolerable level for the last few weeks.
    And have some "genuine" worries that new job might be a bit too difficult and/or boring.

On balance i'm in a rut where I am , and would have been delighted with this new job a few months ago , the reality of it happening gives me some worries I hadn't thought of before.

Any advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I have never seen a post with so many thanks!
    It deserves it though, as it makes people think.
    The best way to conquer depression is think about things to look forward to.
    You always have something to look forward to! Book a get-away! No money? Wait for christmas! Walk around and be helpful to people. Volunteer at charities. Overworked? Wait for your next break in work and do the above. Even if you still have nothing to be happy or thankful for, thank god for being alive, because if you weren't, no-one would of known you, nor you effect in society ever felt.

InReality wrote: »
    ^ that's a lovely idea.

I had the same felling of frustration with mindfullness and "starting again" , think its a perfectionist thing.

I'm debating moving to a new job so its hard to keep the ruminations at a tolerable level for the last few weeks.
    And have some "genuine" worries that new job might be a bit too difficult and/or boring.

On balance i'm in a rut where I am , and would have been delighted with this new job a few months ago , the reality of it happening gives me some worries I hadn't thought of before.

Any advice :)

Do not be afraid of change.

Without changes your tomorrows will be like your yesterdays!

Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Did the darkness into light walk now back home then adopting a new kitty later

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Now that's what I call a good day!

I did the walk too, in the Phoenix Park, great event isn't it. Enjoy your new baby. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

murria wrote: »
    Now that's what I call a good day!

I did the walk too, in the Phoenix Park, great event isn't it. Enjoy your new baby. :)

She's 1, so not a baby! Babies are easily adopted older cats less so
    Chilling on couch with my poor blistered foot! (exercise what is that?)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

I did it in limerick and thought it was great. Lovely atmosphere & huge turn out.
    Pieta house is a great charity. I'm hoping they can open a centre in the south east soon where I'm from (but hoping I won't need to visit myself if that makes sense!) as there are none nearby I don't think.
    apparently they would have made several million euro this morning which is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Approaching 4 weeks totally of Cymblata. Withdrawl Zaps were easing to the point were last week I went a few days without noticing them. Out of the blue I have them back again. They're not bad but still, WTF!! I thought I was nearly through this.

Still on an emotional rollercoaster. On minute fine happy and optimistic for the medium to long term despite ever present money worries where just when you think you can start to relax or see light at the end of the financial tunnel you get another proverbial kick in the gonads to remind you. Then moments later having thoughts like whats the fcuking point. Then back optimistic after another 30 minutes again. The Up/Down over such a short timescale tells me its likely still withdrawl effects but its still worrying all the same. In these moments the anxiety can make me work myself not to the point of suicidal thoughts but to the point of thoughts like "I couldn't care less (for myself, I'd care how it affected others) if I died tomorrow. I know that sounds like classic depression but is it? when its only a transitory thought and I'm optimistic again a half hour later for the rest of the day for example.

Anyway, had to pop a .25 Xanax I got from my mother there. They work a treat for the wound up feeling inside. Yet despite being a non drinker with no history of abuse of anything, the doctor never prescribes them or anything like them for me.

Think the main trigger today was that I realised family weren't listening to me mid conversation and I started talking gibberish like Bill and Ben the Flower Pot men (Older posters will get it)....and nobody noticed!! got up and walked out of room and went to my bedroom and don't think anyone noticed that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Looking out at the sea in Dublin.

Tentatively I asked him - would he do the "darkness into light thing" - a friend , who is suffering from the aftermath of a suicide in his family. "What is that ?"

And then a few weeks later he rang me and said he would, this in itself was a massive step. I said we could do it in Dublin - perhaps the anonymity of a big city would provide comfort and an escape from his rural town. It is difficult when this subject is new to yourself. The sensitivities and how to talk about it - is often a difficult thing to approach. Often , mistakenly - friends with drink on board try to control the pace of somebodies own grieving process. It is a difficult one.

It was a day in life - a rare day , a birth, a wedding , a first holiday. One of those days when you literally did not know what to expect. Would it be serious - a total level of solemnity. I didn't know - he didn't , we were in this together.

Then as you turned the corner to see the entrance of Phoenix Park - A total traffic jam . "wow"

Kids , dogs, families, working class, middle class, upper class. No class - everybody in the same boat , everybody who has been touched in some way. I was deeply moved.

And the rain held off, thank whoever for that. Walking up the impressive avenue - trees older than any life , a reminder of how temporary this journey can be.

Then out loud, surprisingly, " clap along if you feel like happiness is for you ", :)
    No doubts about the tone now, perhaps we have had too much seriousness and sadness about this issue. It is time to have a day , were it is fun , embracing the happy memories of every single person that ever walks this earth. There is never , never a person, who we loved, that we don't have happy memories of - no matter what.

Meeting friends in pubs is the trap of, the Irish mid thirties - when the birds sing and you see a 2 km stretch of people at sunrise - you realise , there is another life , another energy out there at such events. You forget how great the human spirit can be, you forget how great Irish people can be.

Crossing the line we were applauded by people, I don't know who. But, you suddenly got it. It is not about who the people are or why. It is about everybody together. That there is no shame in depression or suicide. This is an issue that has an impact on almost every family in Ireland.

Tears came from my eyes, I wiped them with the yellow tee shirt - I didn't want my friend to see. We all have a cross to bare. But this life is easier when you know there is help for you , there is help for everybody......

The song stand by me played out as the day dawned.

I've been doing quite well for the last couple of months. In all honesty, my lull during the winter was down to the fact that I took a rejection terribly. I felt like I was pushing my friends away so I stopped talking and bottled up my feelings. I think my idea was that by bottling things up, I wouldn't think about them so much. Out of sight, out of mind, so to speak. It appeared to work.

Today I had a friend confront me over something I did (which was, admittedly, careless) and one of my old feelings came back immediately. The fear that I've lost that friend over it. I don't think I have but it just alerted me that things aren't as rosy as I've made them out to be as of late.

You see, when I feel good I tend to act as if there's nothing wrong with me and that sometimes shows in counselling sessions. The last counsellor I was seeing was pretty much telling me that I was wasting my money by seeing him. But I think the problem is more deep-rooted than something that I can talk about to a counsellor in a handful of sessions - this is going back many, many years. If I do go back to someone else, I won't even know where to start now.

Karsini wrote: »
    I've been doing quite well for the last couple of months. In all honesty, my lull during the winter was down to the fact that I took a rejection terribly. I felt like I was pushing my friends away so I stopped talking and bottled up my feelings. I think my idea was that by bottling things up, I wouldn't think about them so much. Out of sight, out of mind, so to speak. It appeared to work.

Today I had a friend confront me over something I did (which was, admittedly, careless) and one of my old feelings came back immediately. The fear that I've lost that friend over it. I don't think I have but it just alerted me that things aren't as rosy as I've made them out to be as of late.

You see, when I feel good I tend to act as if there's nothing wrong with me and that sometimes shows in counselling sessions. The last counsellor I was seeing was pretty much telling me that I was wasting my money by seeing him. But I think the problem is more deep-rooted than something that I can talk about to a counsellor in a handful of sessions - this is going back many, many years. If I do go back to someone else, I won't even know where to start now.

Karsini,

Don't be too hard on yourself!

But I think the problem is more deep-rooted than something that I can talk about to a counsellor in a handful of sessions - this is going back many, many years. If I do go back to someone else, I won't even know where to start now.

You identified the issue is deep rooted and goes back many, many years.
    If you decide to go a Counsellor again, respectfully to be fair to yourself and gain the maximum benefit from your sessions, you must start at the very beginning, the primary issue.

Please take very good care of yourself. Please feel free to PM if you wish

Very Sincerely

del

Calibos wrote: »
    Approaching 4 weeks totally of Cymblata. Withdrawl Zaps were easing to the point were last week I went a few days without noticing them. Out of the blue I have them back again. They're not bad but still, WTF!! I thought I was nearly through this.

Still on an emotional rollercoaster. On minute fine happy and optimistic for the medium to long term despite ever present money worries where just when you think you can start to relax or see light at the end of the financial tunnel you get another proverbial kick in the gonads to remind you. Then moments later having thoughts like whats the fcuking point. Then back optimistic after another 30 minutes again. The Up/Down over such a short timescale tells me its likely still withdrawl effects but its still worrying all the same. In these moments the anxiety can make me work myself not to the point of suicidal thoughts but to the point of thoughts like "I couldn't care less (for myself, I'd care how it affected others) if I died tomorrow. I know that sounds like classic depression but is it? when its only a transitory thought and I'm optimistic again a half hour later for the rest of the day for example.

Anyway, had to pop a .25 Xanax I got from my mother there. They work a treat for the wound up feeling inside. Yet despite being a non drinker with no history of abuse of anything, the doctor never prescribes them or anything like them for me.

Think the main trigger today was that I realised family weren't listening to me mid conversation and I started talking gibberish like Bill and Ben the Flower Pot men (Older posters will get it)....and nobody noticed!! got up and walked out of room and went to my bedroom and don't think anyone noticed that either.

Please take good care of yourself.
    Withdrawal effects , thoughts bordering on suicidal, popping non prescribed medication..............etc
    Please consult your GP asap. You are very important to us here, & certainly wish the best for you.
    There are also Samaritan and Aware helplines if you wish to have a chat with someone now.
    Be kind to yourself.
    D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Looking out at the sea in Dublin.

Tentatively I asked him - would he do the "darkness into light thing" - a friend , who is suffering from the aftermath of a suicide in his family. "What is that ?"

And then a few weeks later he rang me and said he would, this in itself was a massive step. I said we could do it in Dublin - perhaps the anonymity of a big city would provide comfort and an escape from his rural town. It is difficult when this subject is new to yourself. The sensitivities and how to talk about it - is often a difficult thing to approach. Often , mistakenly - friends with drink on board try to control the pace of somebodies own grieving process. It is a difficult one.

It was a day in life - a rare day , a birth, a wedding , a first holiday. One of those days when you literally did not know what to expect. Would it be serious - a total level of solemnity. I didn't know - he didn't , we were in this together.

Then as you turned the corner to see the entrance of Phoenix Park - A total traffic jam . "wow"

Kids , dogs, families, working class, middle class, upper class. No class - everybody in the same boat , everybody who has been touched in some way. I was deeply moved.

And the rain held off, thank whoever for that. Walking up the impressive avenue - trees older than any life , a reminder of how temporary this journey can be.

Then out loud, surprisingly, " clap along if you feel like happiness is for you ", :)
    No doubts about the tone now, perhaps we have had too much seriousness and sadness about this issue. It is time to have a day , were it is fun , embracing the happy memories of every single person that ever walks this earth. There is never , never a person, who we loved, that we don't have happy memories of - no matter what.

Meeting friends in pubs is the trap of, the Irish mid thirties - when the birds sing and you see a 2 km stretch of people at sunrise - you realise , there is another life , another energy out there at such events. You forget how great the human spirit can be, you forget how great Irish people can be.

Crossing the line we were applauded by people, I don't know who. But, you suddenly got it. It is not about who the people are or why. It is about everybody together. That there is no shame in depression or suicide. This is an issue that has an impact on almost every family in Ireland.

Tears came from my eyes, I wiped them with the yellow tee shirt - I didn't want my friend to see. We all have a cross to bare. But this life is easier when you know there is help for you , there is help for everybody......

The song stand by me played out as the day dawned.

Lovely post!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks Jimmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Weaning off Lexapro at the moment. Cold sweats, palpitations, impending doom feeling, thinking I'm having a heart attack, disturbing dreams, sleep paralysis, all that jazz. It's funny, when I was on the full dose and feeling great, I almost forgot what it was like to have these sensations, as the last time I had them was before I started on the tablets, and now that I'm having them again it's as if I'm right back where I started. I find deep, focused breathing really helpful, once I force myself to do it.

• Advertisement

whirlpool wrote: »
    Weaning off Lexapro at the moment. Cold sweats, palpitations, impending doom feeling, thinking I'm having a heart attack, disturbing dreams, sleep paralysis, all that jazz. It's funny, when I was on the full dose and feeling great, I almost forgot what it was like to have these sensations, as the last time I had them was before I started on the tablets, and now that I'm having them again it's as if I'm right back where I started. I find deep, focused breathing really helpful, once I force myself to do it.

Suggest chatting with your GP. Perhaps the weaning off process could be more gradual, therefore avoiding some of the side effects?? Prescribing doctor is the best person to help you manage this issue.
    Take good care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Pre-arranged work shift swap today so I wasn't on till 4pm. Had a lie in till noon.

Felt the same as last night, i.e. teary, wound up/anxious. Suicidal or near suicidal is not how I would describe it. Hopelessness would closer I guess.

That was until about an hour into my work shift when it was like I turned on a dime and felt fine again. Heading for 5 hours feeling fine now.

Anyway. Some more reading on Cymbaltawithdrawl.com and it seems all my feelings/symptoms are attributable to withdrawl, it can last at least 6 weeks or more in a significant minority if cases.(I'm at week 4 totally off). Even the resurgence of zaps and emotional up/down can be explained by the fact that excess Cymbalta can be stored in fat and the liver and released long after your last capsule. Only the other day I was observing how my appetite was returning to sane levels and I was probably starting to lose some of the excess I had put on while on Cymbalta. In other words, Its likely that last weeks lack of zaps was not withdrawl effects finally waning naturally but weight loss releasing some stored up Cymbalta from fat storage and the withdrawl zaps went for a while because my brain was getting some cymbalta again!! The zaps coming back with a bang and emotional rollercoaster increasing in severity again is actually just the withdrawl coming back after the squirt of cymbalta from my fat stores.

Calibos wrote: »
    Pre-arranged work shift swap today so I wasn't on till 4pm. Had a lie in till noon.

Felt the same as last night, i.e. teary, wound up/anxious. Suicidal or near suicidal is not how I would describe it. Hopelessness would closer I guess.

That was until about an hour into my work shift when it was like I turned on a dime and felt fine again. Heading for 5 hours feeling fine now.

Anyway. Some more reading on Cymbaltawithdrawl.com and it seems all my feelings/symptoms are attributable to withdrawl, it can last at least 6 weeks or more in a significant minority if cases.(I'm at week 4 totally off). Even the resurgence of zaps and emotional up/down can be explained by the fact that excess Cymbalta can be stored in fat and the liver and released long after your last capsule. Only the other day I was observing how my appetite was returning to sane levels and I was probably starting to lose some of the excess I had put on while on Cymbalta. In other words, Its likely that last weeks lack of zaps was not withdrawl effects finally waning naturally but weight loss releasing some stored up Cymbalta from fat storage and the withdrawl zaps went for a while because my brain was getting some cymbalta again!! The zaps coming back with a bang and emotional rollercoaster increasing in severity again is actually just the withdrawl coming back after the squirt of cymbalta from my fat stores.

Take it easy. Be kind to yourself. No harm in checking in with your GP about how you feel. Stay well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Thanks Jimmy.

I've just welled up reading your post.
    Honest and TRUE, just the way we should be opening up about depression, stress illnesses and suicide.

I've needed a good cry so thanks x

lukesmom wrote: »

I remember one time I was cutting the grass (not something I usually particularly love!) and I couldn't stop smiling. I was enjoying listening to music while cutting, but didnt mind the sound of the mower in the background. I was very aware of nature and the smell of the cut grass (love that smell).

Doesn't happen often, but right then it was as if I didnt have a care in the world. In fact it was as if everything in my life had just fallen into place . . For that brief time, I was living in the moment, enjoying the now for what it can be. .

I did the Darkness into light walk and it was brilliant . .

Have to say, I wasn't overly enthusiastic when it was pissing rain when I went to bed. But glad I got up and went . .

When we got there it was mad. At 3.30am there was savage traffic. We had to walk about 3km just to get to the starting line!

At the starting line I turned around and asked the first person behind me to take a picture of my friend and me. They were probobley the only person out of the 4000 there that had one arm! That was funny though and the person themselves had a good chuckle.

While doing the walk I had a great chat with my friend. Surrounded by like minded (or at least open minded) people, was so nice as usually in big groups (or surrounded by people) I feel uncomfortable and claustrophobic.

At the end of the walk, there was a great feeling of accomplishment. It was a lovely night out! I was one of the last to finish. There was a HOPE sign made of candles near the finish line and a woman had started to take them down . . "Hope is gone", I said it jest. A few people around me started to laugh . . As the title of this thread suggests, its great to be able to laugh at depression

Whoever came up with this event is a genius..

Drumpot wrote: »
    I did the Darkness into light walk and it was brilliant . .

Have to say, I wasn't overly enthusiastic when it was pissing rain when I went to bed. But glad I got up and went . .

When we got there it was mad. At 3.30am there was savage traffic. We had to walk about 3km just to get to the starting line!

At the starting line I turned around and asked the first person behind me to take a picture of my friend and me. They were probobley the only person out of the 4000 there that had one arm! That was funny though and the person themselves had a good chuckle.

While doing the walk I had a great chat with my friend. Surrounded by like minded (or at least open minded) people, was so nice as usually in big groups (or surrounded by people) I feel uncomfortable and claustrophobic.

At the end of the walk, there was a great feeling of accomplishment. It was a lovely night out! I was one of the last to finish. There was a HOPE sign made of candles near the finish line and a woman had started to take them down . . "Hope is gone", I said it jest. A few people around me started to laugh . . As the title of this thread suggests, its great to be able to laugh at depression

Whoever came up with this event is a genius..

Congratulations! Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself. Finishing the walk is what it is all about. Well done!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sometimes its important to unclench and laugh at the surreality of life in general. Its really ludicrous isn't it! :)

I used to say, "I'm not mad... I'm sane in a mad world!"

DeVore wrote: »
    Sometimes its important to unclench and laugh at the surreality of life in general. Its really ludicrous isn't it! :)

I used to say, "I'm not mad... I'm sane in a mad world!"

Ha .. . I think the bolded part more then ever now !

Better get back to my therapist pronto ! ! !:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone else find their family continually bringing them down haven't spoken to 99% of mine in 6 months the only brother I am talking to called me tonight to tell me my grandmother is very sick and is surprised I don't give a **** and don't want to know, I hate these people so much they make me want to continually hurt my selfbI wish I could just get the **** away from all of this

Advertisement