Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

You simply lack confidence homer. And don't immediately think 'I'm not attractive' when I say that. You lack confidence. Confidence can be acquired. 'I dont even try cause I know I'll never be good enough'. Know this: how good people are at things is a function of time.
    I'd like to believe that's true, and I'm sure it is for most people, but seeing people around me who seem to pick up stuff and succeed so much quicker than I do is just really disheartening. It makes me lose heart and have zero confidence in my abilities (or lack thereof). I've convinced myself at this stage that I'm useless at everything and am destined to never be successful. And that's a really horrible thought.
    You're stuck in pathological thinking like myself so I have a lot of sympathy for you, although I believe the content of what you're dissillusioned about is irrelevant. You are stuck. But know that you can't 'live in the country and the city both'. No one is great at something immediately. And being great at something for being great's sake will be completely unfulfilling, if you don't enjoy the 'doing' of it while you improve you will stop. So it's an impossible goal.

Thanks for the kind words. I feel like I've tried a lot to change this way of thinking but the fact that nothing is working makes me wonder if I'm keeping myself miserable on purpose, 'cause it's easier than being satisfied?

Meh, I dunno. This "being a grown up" stuff is far too difficult....definitely coming back as a cat in my next life. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I get ya homer. I don't have anything I'm good at. I got a book on building your confidence and few years back and got stuck at the point where it asks you to make a list of things you're good at or you like about yourself. I couldn't go any further because I couldn't think of one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Think of every major milestone on your life or anyones life from the age of about 17 onwards. All the big ones. If you think to yourself, "Ah I'm sure he doesn't mean X or Y"....No No......I do indeed mean X and Y and Z too.

I'm forty and have gotten/done/achieved none of them.

........and thats one of the reasons I knew I had been mis-diagnosed with depression which is almost confirmed (explained in my post yesterday) If I was capable of being happy, finding joy in things and being optimistic 90% of the time despite having zero to show for my life of 40 years (Not a case of 'Loved and Lost' or 'Had it all and Lost it all'), well even putting aside all the other clues, it seemed apparent to me that whatever my medical problem was it certainly wasn't depression.

Theres not much hope of change either. Even my meagre finances have been in stasis for 5 years playing a game of whack-a-mole with bills and unforeseen events. I earn less now taking inflation into account than I did the first week of my first full-time job.(which was not a high paying job to start with)

Obviously just writing that is a bit depressing and I might be feeling sorry for myself for the rest of the night but I know chances are, I'll feel happy enough to look on the bright side tomorrow and just get on with it.

I've a feeling that after 40 years I have found something I would be good at and which would highlight some of my creativity. Unfortunately it requires money of which I have none to spare nor expectation of having any to spare for a long time. That is actually thing the upsets/frustrates me the most. Much more so than any thoughts or regrets of my 40 years up till this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'd like to believe that's true, and I'm sure it is for most people, but seeing people around me who seem to pick up stuff and succeed so much quicker than I do is just really disheartening. It makes me lose heart and have zero confidence in my abilities (or lack thereof).

What stuff specifically have you spent the same time as someone else at and they were 'better' than you? What have they picked up?

You're perception is distorted. Have you practiced not speaking negatively about yourself? Although I'm in the wars I have stopped doing any negative monologue. I feel bad, but I never say the negative stuff to myself. One of my friends has gotten in a patch and I've seen how he in minor ways speaks more negatively about himself and I think the more you do that the more it reinforces the FEELING. If you don't speak or self-talk negatively you won't feel like Mary Poppins, but I think over time your thoughts about yourself won't be as bad.

What stuff specifically have you spent the same time as someone else at and they were 'better' than you? What have they picked up?

You're perception is distorted. Have you practiced not speaking negatively about yourself? Although I'm in the wars I have stopped doing any negative monologue. I feel bad, but I never say the negative stuff to myself. One of my friends has gotten in a patch and I've seen how he in minor ways speaks more negatively about himself and I think the more you do that the more it reinforces the FEELING. If you don't speak or self-talk negatively you won't feel like Mary Poppins, but I think over time your thoughts about yourself won't be as bad.

Mainly stuff from my college days. For someone who used get top marks in school I don't think I'll ever be able to cope with how badly college went for me. :( I'd go to lectures, take notes, read over them....and then look blankly at problem sets and exams feeling like a complete idiot when others in my class would get to grips with stuff much quicker and get really good marks. I can accept that they were more passionate about the subject than I was....but it still felt "unfair" in some sense that they were able to cope with things better than me.

Also a general lack of talent when it comes to anything to do with sports, DIY or art. Sure, you can improve how good you are at football or drawing but you also need a bit of natural talent and flair. I just have nothing in that regard.

To quote Gore Vidal: "Every time a friend succeeds, I die a little".

I get what you're saying about refusing to think negatively but it sounds really difficult. It would feel like I was constantly lying to myself or living in denial. Still, if it would be less disappointing than living as the real me then I guess I could give it a try.

Thanks for the reply again Jimmy, your words always provide food for thought. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Mainly stuff from my college days. For someone who used get top marks in school I don't think I'll ever be able to cope with how badly college went for me. :( I'd go to lectures, take notes, read over them....and then look blankly at problem sets and exams feeling like a complete idiot when others in my class would get to grips with stuff much quicker and get really good marks. I can accept that they were more passionate about the subject than I was....but it still felt "unfair" in some sense that they were able to cope with things better than me.

Also a general lack of talent when it comes to anything to do with sports, DIY or art. Sure, you can improve how good you are at football or drawing but you also need a bit of natural talent and flair. I just have nothing in that regard.

To quote Gore Vidal: "Every time a friend succeeds, I die a little".

I get what you're saying about refusing to think negatively but it sounds really difficult. It would feel like I was constantly lying to myself or living in denial. Still, if it would be less disappointing than living as the real me then I guess I could give it a try.

Thanks for the reply again Jimmy, your words always provide food for thought. :)

I did quite bad in my Leaving Cert, (well, to what I should have got). And it made me terrified to go to college, fear I'd just do terribly all over again.
    I took 5 years out, and I'll be going this September.

I have a few supports, which is very important.

If your head is filled with feeling miserable/stupid/like a failure/not good enough etc, and then anxiety/frustration for it.
    You're not going to do well.

It's like having a virus in your computer that hogs all your memory. It's next to impossible to do anything on that computer.

The human mind isn't much different.

This doesn't mean you don't have something you're good at, or that you can't go back and study again.
    It does mean that it would help if you cleared the virus first though. And therapy has been the best for that.

You also can't compare yourself to other people, ever. because that more often than not, just makes you feel bad.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I get ya homer. I don't have anything I'm good at. I got a book on building your confidence and few years back and got stuck at the point where it asks you to make a list of things you're good at or you like about yourself. I couldn't go any further because I couldn't think of one thing.

I hated getting asked this question in therapy.

But.. the truth is everyone has something they're good at.
    We just don't often see it as something worth recognising.

Try asking your friends or family what they'd say you are good at.

For example, I never thought of being able to fix a computer that big a deal. Sure most people can.
    Just because other people can do something doesn't take from me being able to though. It also doesn't make me "less good" at it.

Then there's also things like
    *speaking a 2nd language
    *playing sports/playing an instrument
    *heck even being good at a game
    *being able to drive
    *being good with animals/ children
    *being good at the English language/maths/science etc.
    *being fit
    *or able to cook.
    *always knowing how to make someone comfortable/relaxed.
    *being organised/tidy/never late.
    *being able to describe a movie, without giving away the story.
    * being able to tell a story without boring people on unnecessary details.
    *able to write an interesting blog
    *able to learn/enjoy studying (check out coursera for free online courses, great way to boost confidences is spending time studying something that interests you.)
    *Good photography, does not have to be professional standard.
    *Good with directions.

I'm sure I could go on, some of those are "obvious", some less so.
    But everybody does have something they're good at. You have to try looking at yourself through someone elses eyes.

That's actually brought tears to my eyes, because your list is basically a list of things I can't do or I'm not good at

• Registered Users Posts: 43 naughty1205

Hi all, long time lurker on this thread, decided it was time to write ;-) Really like the support given here. Hope I will be able to help you all, in some way.
    Will try to give a quick synopsis- suffer with depression and anxiety since late teens, (and probably since childhood they tell me) psych put me on Prozac at 18. On and off most anti depressants since then, am 40 now. Constant cycles of feeling 'ok/not bad at all!', to crashing due to stress at work, emotional upheaval, infertility, any big change to my circumstances.
    Various trips to counsellor/psychotherapists/psychiatrists...
    Huge family history of depression, both my own family, and aunts, cousins, grandparents.
    Since having my daughter, and PND (hard to avoid that one!) a lot of issues have been brought to the fore. I really need to be 'right', be functioning on all levels, for my child especially. And me and my marriage.
    In the last 2 years I have done a recovery and wellness day program with St Patricks Hospital, as well as a 6 weeks course in Mindfulness also in St Pats. I did 6 sessions of one to one CBT and am currently seeing a psychotherapist weekly, having done around 10 sessions now, and it seems like this might continue.
    I am doing all this privately. If I didn't, and waited around for my second public appointment, I wouldn't be here. I am unable to work, am off now for nearly 5 months, luckily they pay me for another month so I have had the money to do all this to date. I won't get into the public/private care here. Suffice to say I'm from Galway. People at work are being very understanding (to my face anyway) but I dread to think how I am going to get back to work, even after this length of time off.
    I have spent the last month trying to get off 375mg of Effexor. I have been on it for 3 years, various increases over that time. No matter how bad I am again, I won't go back on it. I know there are quite a few of you taking the same. Yes, it's good. (It's even better with mirtazapine/zispin, but I couldn't handle the side effects of zispin, so came off it after a year) The advice for weaning off it is to do it slowly, and I agree, as long as you possibly can. The w/d side effects are just...desperate. I wish I could have done it over 2 months, but am trying to get better as fast as I can so I can get back to work. Sitting here with a banging headache and shoulders stuck to my ears.
    So I will be going on lustral from Thursday. If that doesn't work, I honestly don't know what I will do. If anyone has some good news stories about lustral I'd be very happy to hear them.
    I'm sick of this half life I live. I'm angry, really angry, at this illness, which has deprived me of so much. Promotions at work, hell, even working!, having more than 1 child (blessed to have our baby, but after PND husband won't even consider trying again, and I guess he's right but I haven't dealt with it yet), going out there and getting at it. My marriage has taken a bashing. I wasn't this bad before I got married, so I feel my husband got a very raw deal :-( On the flip side of that, I am finding it impossible to get the support I need from him, not his fault, he just doesn't have the emotional capacity for it, the whole world of emotions is not where he is comfortable. So I now accept this and it helps me as I'm not waiting for something from him that he could never give me. Great eh?

Would love to learn something new and have a complete change of career, (I use that word very loosely there!) but I don't have the energy/motivation/courage. I've done everything I can to fight this effing thing. I'm on all sorts of vitamins and oils to beat the band and ensure I'm not deficient in anything. Blood tests are all good. It's not physical, unfortunately. Nothing absolutely horrendous happened me in the past. It's a curse to have this. A couple of girls from the office who texted in the beginning have stopped asking how I am. Everyone else has disappeared off the face of the planet. If I was out of work with cancer I hope I'd get more people asking about me. And it's that stigma that isn't helping.

So much for a quick synopsis, oops.
    Sorry this is such a whiny long all over the place post. And thanks for reading.
    Hopefully through all this experience, I might be of some use to you!

Thanks,
    Naughty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

That's actually brought tears to my eyes, because your list is basically a list of things I can't do or I'm not good at

Maybe you could pick one to start? Something like cooking, perhaps? There's plenty of adult education courses for cooking that go on in many schools country wide. You could also use the internet to help get started. I'm not talking Michelin Star food here, but maybe cooking something simple like a curry, and moving up from there?

Alternatively, you could start to play an instrument? Something like the guitar which could give you access to simple chords to play along with popular songs. Something like Knockin' on Heaven's Door is only four chords long!

I've depression and axiety, not to the levels that require medication, but I''ve found with myself that when I occupy my mind with a task it's much easier to cope.

• Advertisement

I did quite bad in my Leaving Cert, (well, to what I should have got). And it made me terrified to go to college, fear I'd just do terribly all over again.
    I took 5 years out, and I'll be going this September.

I have a few supports, which is very important.

If your head is filled with feeling miserable/stupid/like a failure/not good enough etc, and then anxiety/frustration for it.

It's like having a virus in your computer that hogs all your memory. It's next to impossible to do anything on that computer.

The human mind isn't much different.

This doesn't mean you don't have something you're good at, or that you can't go back and study again.
    It does mean that it would help if you cleared the virus first though. And therapy has been the best for that.

You also can't compare yourself to other people, ever. because that more often than not, just makes you feel bad.

Good post, very interesting analogy, it's bang on imo!

Homer, you don't have to lie to yourself. That would be if you denied any feelings. You obviously think the negative self-talk is the truth but it's not. And all I'm saying is it is unnessecary. If you feel bad you're going to feel bad. But if you were your own child and they felt bad, would you add to it by calling them every name under the sun? Bully them? That is what you are doing to yourself.

When I think of the phrase 'love yourself' I don't think of it as in tell yourself your great, pretend you like the way the way you look etc. I just mean, don't be mean to yourself. If you said the things you say to yourself to someone else they would rightfully hate you.

I'll leave ye alone now :) My opinion is that I read things all the time that spark NEW thoughts, hoping if you get someone else's perspective you might at least spark a new thought. We both are stuck in repetitive thoughts so to give something someone else says some consideration for even a second could impact a day.

Ok..
    So tell me how do you spend your time? What do you do every week?

Have you tried joining a class for something?

Nobody wakes up one morning being able to draw, for example. But with a bit of learning. an interest in it.. and soon enough you end up quite good at it.
    Everybody is good at something, but that doesnt mean you you get it perfect the first time you do it.
    ___
    When I think of the phrase 'love yourself' I don't think of it as in tell yourself your great, pretend you like the way the way you look etc. I just mean, don't be mean to yourself. If you said the things you say to yourself to someone else they would rightfully hate you.

This is very true, I often tell people to "be nice/kind to themselves". It's not about convincing yourself you are amazing, but its about not being so hard on yourself.
    It's ok to find something difficult, to be stressed out.
    But you wouldn't think its ok to insult someone for it, so why is it ok to insult ourselves?

Have seen three friends on Facebook sharing statuses about getting first class honours degrees in the past few days. Most of the people who did my MSc course got distintions. Why the hell are other people capable of these things and I'm not? It's not like I didn't try as hard. It's not like I had other passions or activities in my life that I devoted my time to instead; friends of mine who got similar marks to me all have talents in sport or music that I don't have. Nope, I'm just an inferior life form. Not as smart, not as talented, not as able.

How am I supposed to not talk negatively to myself when I am completely outperformed and outachieved by those around me? :( I know I've been told not to measure my self-worth by achievements but it seems completely alien not to, like admitting defeat or something. Sorry to be a broken record - another flaw to add to my already extensive list, I guess! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Been looking at some TED Talks on confidence and self esteem.
    A lot of good and interesting ideas there.
    I think this is about the best one I've found.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOrzmFUJtrs

Have seen three friends on Facebook sharing statuses about getting first class honours degrees in the past few days. Most of the people who did my MSc course got distintions. Why the hell are other people capable of these things and I'm not? It's not like I didn't try as hard. It's not like I had other passions or activities in my life that I devoted my time to instead; friends of mine who got similar marks to me all have talents in sport or music that I don't have. Nope, I'm just an inferior life form. Not as smart, not as talented, not as able.

How am I supposed to not talk negatively to myself when I am completely outperformed and outachieved by those around me? :( I know I've been told not to measure my self-worth by achievements but it seems completely alien not to, like admitting defeat or something. Sorry to be a broken record - another flaw to add to my already extensive list, I guess! :rolleyes:

I know what you mean.
    I was looking through some linkedin profile of people who worked in an area I was trying to changing into.

One guy had literally a perfect CV - he had done all the courses and work experience that I would wish to have done at his age and gotten stellar grades too.
    He'd be 10-15 years younger than me. So its a harsh realization that I will never be as successful as him in this field.
    ( All right there is a tiny chance but its 1 in a ten thousand maybe.)
    On the other side I've come through tough times in my own life and have done well to be in a position to even enter this field even if its 10 years too late in comparison to this other guy.

The way I try :)and look at other people's "success" is that I had a lot of depression/anxiety to get through to get where I am. And when you take that into account I'm doing ok.

And I think that would be the same for you :)

InReality wrote: »
    The way I try :)and look at other people's "success" is that I had a lot of depression/anxiety to get through to get where I am. And when you take that into account I'm doing ok.

And I think that would be the same for you :)

I see what you're saying and I honestly do try to look at that too. But while I can take that into account, employers and recruiters won't. They don't give a shít that I dealt with a lot of personal problems throughout my degree, they just take one look at my CV and grades and throw it away without even giving me a chance. Every time I apply for a job and get a rejection, or in most cases don't even get a reply, it's basically being told "you're not good enough". So how am I meant to have self belief when I'm constantly being bombarded with reminders of how inadequate I am? :(

Ok..
    So tell me how do you spend your time? What do you do every week?

Have you tried joining a class for something?

Nobody wakes up one morning being able to draw, for example. But with a bit of learning. an interest in it.. and soon enough you end up quite good at it.
    Everybody is good at something, but that doesnt mean you you get it perfect the first time you do it.
    ___

I spend my weekend with my boyfriend, see him once or twice during the week, the other evenings in generally just relax, enjoy time to myself. Sometimes watch documentaries, but mostly just boards really. Which seeing it written down makes it seem an awful waste of time. I sometimes get out for a jog or cycle. I'm often feeling that I don't get time for things. The thought of starting a class makes me feel I'd be putting myself under pressure. Besides, I have no interest in almost anything.

I#m going to repeat this.

"If your head is filled with feeling miserable/stupid/like a failure/not good enough etc, and then anxiety/frustration for it.

It's like having a virus in your computer that hogs all your memory. It's next to impossible to do anything on that computer."

You need to stop talking bad about yourself, so you have energy to do the things you want.

I know the cycle you are in, and its specifically why I took a few years out before going to college. The others are likely not beating themselves up or being so harsh on themselves.

On that, studying isnt for everybody, it's extremely stressful and without the right supports, can really test your mental health. Have you thought of taking a break? And are you currently in counselling?

Please do be kind to yourself, dealing with depression and feelings of worthless is tough. It's important to remind yourself to be proud for doing your best and that you are going through a difficult time.

I see what you're saying and I honestly do try to look at that too. But while I can take that into account, employers and recruiters won't. They don't give a shít that I dealt with a lot of personal problems throughout my degree, they just take one look at my CV and grades and throw it away without even giving me a chance. Every time I apply for a job and get a rejection, or in most cases don't even get a reply, it's basically being told "you're not good enough". So how am I meant to have self belief when I'm constantly being bombarded with reminders of how inadequate I am? :(

Please remember only 1 out of 1000 CV's get an interview. Have you looked at disability supports? There's a service that helps people with disabilities get jobs. This can help you get an employer who will know what you've been through, a little of your life experiences. There are slots of people with disabilities. (as employers get I think 50% of the full time wage back from the government.)
    Maybe looking at that would be advantageous?

Have you looked at turning your past experiences into positives, things you've learned from them? Have you gotten help writing a CV? When we're thinking negatively, sometimes we end up highlighting the negativity, even in our CV's.

___
    I spend my weekend with my boyfriend, see him once or twice during the week, the other evenings in generally just relax, enjoy time to myself. Sometimes watch documentaries, but mostly just boards really. Which seeing it written down makes it seem an awful waste of time. I sometimes get out for a jog or cycle. I'm often feeling that I don't get time for things. The thought of starting a class makes me feel I'd be putting myself under pressure. Besides, I have no interest in almost anything.

Ok, The less we do, the less we feel we have time for. Seriously.
    So you watch documentaries.. you must have quite a bit of general knowledge?
    You have some interest in things...or you wouldn't watch documentaries.

If starting class puts you under pressure... what about an online class? Also you might find if you try a class you'll actually enjoy it.

I've started yoga recently, was absolutely terrified about it. Made myself feel like I can't. But going the once made me feel a little better about it, that I went again. A class can be once a week. Is it really time you don't have? or is something else holding you back?

as for not having an interest. You need to let yourself have an interest. Try different things.
    Are there other emotions holding you back there?

Also, your boyfriend obviously sees something in you. Talk to your boyfriend. Maybe try something with him.

Me and my partner have started mountain biking together. It's been great. On my own I'd never go daily(probably not even weekly). But he has the motivation and it pulls me along.

Well see I worry for you Homer because when you get sorted job-wise (just humour me on that without saying you'll never be sorted :) ) you may be surprised that nothing will be any different. You know you're brain has been honing and strengthening its skill at sensing and recording any information that will constantly reaffirm the hypothesis. Its main goal at the moment is to make itself feel good about being right about this hypothesis. That is it's reason-to-be at the moment. Like Jason Bourne where he can tell you the registration plates of cars outside without even thinking about it, cos his mind is sensitive to a certain kind of information and has been programmed for a single purpose. He probably wouldn't be as good at telling you what kind of gucci shoe a woman was wearing, he'd be essentially BLIND to that.

If you get that job and are objectively on par with the people you are putting on a pedestal, your brain will keep filtering different things to reaffirm the original hypothesis because that is its programming at the moment.

All I'm saying is you should consider that no matter the circumstances, your mind in the last few years does what it's been practicing. Consider that the changes in variables outside of yourself MIGHT not be where your attention should be. I'm imagining myself looking at an animated 2d graph plotting all the variables in my life on x and y axes and how what I am essentially doing is looking at the raw data on it, these arbitrary fluctuations, and being happy or sad. Looking at a graph, variables changing, 'oh y = 5 on that one! YAY' 'oh **** y = 1 over here :('

As usual talking to myself as much as you :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Well see I worry for you Homer because when you get sorted job-wise (just humour me on that without saying you'll never be sorted :) ) you may be surprised that nothing will be any different. You know you're brain has been honing and strengthening its skill at sensing and recording any information that will constantly reaffirm the hypothesis. Its main goal at the moment is to make itself feel good about being right about this hypothesis. That is it's reason-to-be at the moment. Like Jason Bourne where he can tell you the registration plates of cars outside without even thinking about it, cos his mind is sensitive to a certain kind of information and has been programmed for a single purpose. He probably wouldn't be as good at telling you what kind of gucci shoe a woman was wearing, he'd be essentially BLIND to that.

If you get that job and are objectively on par with the people you are putting on a pedestal, your brain will keep filtering different things to reaffirm the original hypothesis because that is its programming at the moment.

All I'm saying is you should consider that no matter the circumstances, your mind in the last few years does what it's been practicing. Consider that the changes in variables outside of yourself MIGHT not be where your attention should be. I'm imagining myself looking at an animated 2d graph plotting all the variables in my life on x and y axes and how what I am essentially doing is looking at the raw data on it, these arbitrary fluctuations, and being happy or sad. Looking at a graph, variables changing, 'oh y = 5 on that one! YAY' 'oh **** y = 1 over here :('

As usual talking to myself as much as you :P

Amen to that Call Me Jimmy and I would like to expand on it if you don't mind. .

I have learned a very basic, simple truth about myself, that has changed my life so much its not funny. The hardest part of it was surrendering my negative thoughts and beliefs.

I had to find the humility to accept that I was no longer able to enjoy my life the way I was living and interpreting it. So, I put my faith in techniques like CBT and meditating to help me get a better grounding.

In short, what I feel inside is not always a reflection of what goes on around me. Whether its negative or positive, I can be completely self absorbed. I learned that constantly thinking "I am a piece of sh*t/useless" is being self absorbed. People don't like to hear these things about themselves (I certainly didn't) but self denial prevents them from breaking free of the lifelong habits that they have normalised.

I have learned that the only way I can find true peace/serenity in this world is by finding peace from within myself. Only then can I deal with life situations that used to upset me to the point of absolute anxiety/fear/depression. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that if you are self sufficient on an emotional level, you wont be affected as much by things that go on around you.

I heard a very interesting explanation of how people can create "alibi's" that only serves to maintain and compound their depressed state -

• If only I did better in exams
    • If only I had a partner
    • If only I had a good childhood
    • If only I had more friends
    • If only I had nice friends
    • If only I had children
    • If only I had more money
    • Etc etc etc
    The alibi's are endless . . I know that in my life I always had a reason to be full of self pity. I was always looking for something in this world to make me feel better, then looking at my own role in my life and starting from there. .

I am not speaking from an ivory tower, looking down on people because I was there. I was full of self loathing and just wishing that life would either start being the way it should be or just end.

I had to accept that I no longer had an answer to how I felt. I had to accept that I needed help and I had to actively look for that help. I had to prioritise my mental health over everything (no excuses - exams, work , family etc). It was my responsibility and it was the single most important thing I needed to work on . .

I have logged a lot of my progress on this forum if people want to look back on it . .

But I read people writing the exact same emotions on this forum that I felt. The story might be different and the circumstances may be different, but the feelings at the end of it are usually the same that I felt.

It doesn't matter how or why a person is feeling low/depressed. It only matters what they intend on doing about it. Blaming people/places or things for my feelings solved nothing and only led to me wrecking my own head . . "If only I made more money", "If only that person had of not done this" etc . . This solves nothing for me . .

When I learned to start looking at myself did I begin a true journey of enlightenment. Its truly a beautiful thing to actually see the world in a more positive light. Its amazing to be able to enjoy simple things and be able to deal with knockbacks in life that used to destroy my self esteem and happiness. .

The biggest problem in my rehabilitation was me. I had to accept I needed to learn basic human skills (CBT). I had to accept that I had been letting my feelings control me. I had to accept that I was relying on people/places/things in my life dictate how I felt and how I perceived everything in my life. I had to accept that I needed to learn a better way of living. .

Finally, after all this, I HAD TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I used to think about all sorts of things in my life and then do nothing . I would think so hard and play out loads of scenarios in my head until eventually I would come to a conclusion "after careful consideration of this option I think it will not work" and I would do nothing . .

This was my old thinking trying to keep me stuck in the permanent rut. I didn't know any better. .

But I needed a new way of thinking and I wasn't going to be able to do it on my own. My own thinking got me to seriously low points in my life, it was crazy for me to think that this same mind could get me out of it.

I reached out for help from those who I could relate to (on this forum/friends) and who had recovered and trusted their advice. I had a trusted GP whom helped guide me to CBT. My therapist helped guide me to a more balanced state where I could finally see my life for what it was. I could finally see a more balanced view of the world and things didn't feel quite as bad as I had thought . .

I have learned through different support groups that I can only say what has worked for me. If people can connect with my story they can choose to try and use it as support for themselves. Alternatively they can choose to be a victim of their mind, perhaps just taking the negatives from this post ("so the poster is saying I'm self absorbed or full of self pity") . .

Luckily for me, after CHOOSING to be the victim for decades, I eventually took ACTION to change my outlook and my enjoyment in life . .

I personally agree with you. Absorbed (by the body) was the word I was looking for when mentioning negative self-talk.

I only had the true taste of seeing the world in its full luminosity once since the panoramic perspective of childhood but it caused an episode that ended up me unwittingly putting myself in a mental institution. If you have got that back even intermittently I am extremely happy for you.

imo I have come to think of it as very immature the way I looked at and (to an extent through habit) look at the world. Expecting it to stop because I'm dissatisfied. Expecting it to rearrange things for me while I pout. Please don't take me the wrong way, it is a very serious problem that I suffer, but essentially, to the universe, I am just a pouter! It shrugs its shoulders I have to shrug my shoulders back. The habits and beliefs built up for 25 + years dont go away easily and are now my biggest threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I personally agree with you. Absorbed (by the body) was the word I was looking for when mentioning negative self-talk.

I only had the true taste of seeing the world in its full luminosity once since the panoramic perspective of childhood but it caused an episode that ended up me unwittingly putting myself in a mental institution. If you have got that back even intermittently I am extremely happy for you.

imo I have come to think of it as very immature the way I looked at and (to an extent through habit) look at the world. Expecting it to stop because I'm dissatisfied. Expecting it to rearrange things for me while I pout. Please don't take me the wrong way, it is a very serious problem that I suffer, but essentially, to the universe, I am just a pouter! It shrugs its shoulders I have to shrug my shoulders back. The habits and beliefs built up for 25 + years dont go away easily and are now my biggest threat.

Agreed . .

Living life on life's terms (not my terms) can be liberating . .

Also, love this quote:

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Not at my strongest atm. A little time to repair and recharge

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I cant cook. I mean, 3 years ago I would have burned water. I would look up google for things like "how to boil an egg".

Now I still cant cook... BUT I can feed myself. I can make about three dishes, three of my favourites like lasagne, curry and chilli. That's it, that's what I can cook now but compared to before I'm a fncking cordon bleu, 5 michellin starred mofo!

I'm still not good at cooking but I'm much *better* than I would have been before and that alone really raises my spirits. I like to eat what I cook and I feel a sense of satisfaction because of the improvement not the level.

Try taking something you are not good at but would LIKE to be better at and give it a really good shot at improving (no self-sabotage, no defeating yourself before you even try). You might surprise yourself, I sure as feck did!

DeVore wrote: »
    I cant cook. I mean, 3 years ago I would have burned water. I would look up google for things like "how to boil an egg".

Now I still cant cook... BUT I can feed myself. I can make about three dishes, three of my favourites like lasagne, curry and chilli. That's it, that's what I can cook now but compared to before I'm a fncking cordon bleu, 5 michellin starred mofo!

I'm still not good at cooking but I'm much *better* than I would have been before and that alone really raises my spirits. I like to eat what I cook and I feel a sense of satisfaction because of the improvement not the level.

Try taking something you are not good at but would LIKE to be better at and give it a really good shot at improving (no self-sabotage, no defeating yourself before you even try). You might surprise yourself, I sure as feck did!

I'm not great at cooking,
    but there's one dish that always comes out perfect. (because it's my favourite)
    Roast chicken, and recently, I decided to learn how to make fresh roast spuds. Felt great making them spuds the first time! (and not using the frozen alternative.) Even the times I've completely messed them up (over boiled them... it was like ~ah well, mash now~ ..I still felt good for trying.)

I don't have an interest in cooking, but boy, I do love cooking me a roast. Always makes a bad day better. ^^. favourite foods <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

You don't have to be remotely good at something to love it! I'm a DREADFUL guitar player but it brings me happiness, I am AWFUL at cooking but I really like it when I get something half right!

You don't have to be Tiger Woods to play golf, or Schumaker to race a car. You just need to enjoy the things you have passion for! They all sucked when they started too by the way! Nobdoy picks up a guitar and turns out beatuiful music, they learn all the boring stuff and move on from there.

Comparing yourself to others is a maddening experience. You judge what YOU THINK and what OTHERS DO, and it's a total dissonance between the two. It's like Facebook; nobody posts them with their pants around their ankles at 4 a.m. vomiting into the bath while their cat rubs against their legs awkwardly (yeah too specific, it did happened me and from eating too much Dominos, not even booze), but they'll take a pic of a nice cocktail and few other things, Instagram the crap out of it and then post it online. Your perception of others is like this.

Also if you are learning something, there is a feeling of being rubbish, but that makes the small victories all the more enjoyable! Nailing that cool guitar riff, getting a lower golf score, getting a nice walk in the mountains etc etc all adds up.

Apparently happier people aren't necessarily the ones that make 1000000000 a year, and are the top of their field (as Chris Evans said "you reach the top and realise there's nothing there") but the people who make SMALL goals and regularly achieve them. Sometimes it's a simple as writing them down and ticking them off:

Post to Boards on Depression thread: DONE!
    Get a nice coffee: DONE!
    Check mailbox: DONE!

Etc.

Actually an example just occured to me. My girlfriend's mother helped me to change some light fixtures around the house. Once I was fixing them myself it felt great. It was one of those things that 'other people' could do, but not me, I can't do any DIY. I was really pleased with myself and I had learned a small extra skill.

Well see I worry for you Homer because when you get sorted job-wise (just humour me on that without saying you'll never be sorted :) ) you may be surprised that nothing will be any different.

I know, you're probably right. I know getting a job isn't gonna magically make everything better but it would still be a huge relief and a big confidence boost to help me. Right now it's just so exhausting and disheartening spending hours fixing my CV, perfecting a cover letter, reading up on application/interview tips etc. only to be discarded without a second thought. :( It's almost impossible to view the positives in myself when I am essentially thought of as worthless by so many hirers out there.

I know if/when I get something I'll probably find something else to be miserable about, 'cause my brain seems to work that way, but for now getting my foot in the door somewhere is what I need to do to help make me feel some bit worthwhile again. The longer I keep getting nowhere, the more like a complete failure I feel.

Post to Boards on Depression thread: DONE!
    Get a nice coffee: DONE!
    Check mailbox: DONE!

I do this exact thing in work !! I put [DONE] Like this though.
    It gives a great sense of control and takes 5 mins or less in the morning.

Its esp good to have as a habit so I do it even when I feel like I'm too busy to waste the 5 mins :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Another thread reminded me of something to put in my, "hey, I'm good at something" column. I thwarted robberies on our family business twice. Disarmed a gun toting pair of armed robbers. (Turned out to be starter pistol) and pulled off a thief with a knife to my brothers throat and identified him to the guards.

i.e. I'm good/calm under pressure....which is ironic, given that it seems I have mild GAD. :D

Advertisement