Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hi I've generalised anxiety disorder and it has flared up the past few weeks. Apart from medication I'm trying to help myself come through it. So I've been:

Meditating daily
    Practising mindfullness
    Seeing psychologist once a week
    Trying to get out of the house
    Positive thinking
    Daily affirmations
    Weekly reiki sessions
    Lowered coffee to one small cup a day

Is there anything else you could add that I am missing????? Some days seem to be better than other and it can be so disheartening when you've had a good day but wake up in the horrors

This might sound silly but I found it's made quite a difference for me :

Music

All of my CD's and MP3's were all over the place so I got a media centre PC with all my music on it, connected to the stereo and I can control it with a tablet.

Just being able to listen to all my music again has helped with the moods (radio get's pretty depressing/annoying/enraging soon I found), just be careful with the melancholy.

Also music helps me to occupy my mind, leaving less time and place for negative self talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

wexie wrote: »
    This might sound silly but I found it's made quite a difference for me :

Music

All of my CD's and MP3's were all over the place so I got a media centre PC with all my music on it, connected to the stereo and I can control it with a tablet.

Just being able to listen to all my music again has helped with the moods (radio get's pretty depressing/annoying/enraging soon I found), just be careful with the melancholy.

Also music helps me to occupy my mind, leaving less time and place for negative self talk.

I second this. It might not work for everyone, but music has a profound effect on my mood. I had forgotten this as just listening to music had stopped being part of my routine for a long time, until I got Spotify on the phone. It does magical things to me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Hi I've generalised anxiety disorder and it has flared up the past few weeks. Apart from medication I'm trying to help myself come through it. So I've been:

Meditating daily
    Practising mindfullness
    Positive thinking
    Daily affirmations
    Weekly reiki sessions

Is there anything else you could add that I am missing????? Some days seem to be better than other and it can be so disheartening when you've had a good day but wake up in the horrors

Two weird things that can help are:

1tbsp glycerin (get it in the baking section of a supermarket) in a glass of water with a squeeze of lemon juice. The stress response burns blood sugar and fast depletes it, glycerin quickly brings it back up again, but doesn't induce a blood sugar rollercoaster like sugar can.

Rennies, again the stress response can mess up digestion and gas pressure on your vagus nerve in the gut can cause a racing heart.

Both of these remedies are harmless so there's nothing to lose by trying them out to see if they can help. Worth a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Meditating daily
    Practising mindfullness
    Positive thinking
    Daily affirmations
    Weekly reiki sessions

With what you're doing (I really commend you on it! you're an inspiration) I don't know there's much more you can do. I suppose good cardio exercise or yoga. BUT. Please remember that the things you are doing may not have an immediate effect. But if you keep the routine, you will find the benefits start to REALLY pay off. If you feel like things aren't working please try and just do it out of spite to the universe. You will be in a much better position in a few weeks if you keep this up.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Thanks all will keep on keeping on. Exhausted from it though x

• Advertisement

and just do it out of spite to the universe.

I saw this add recently, and it reminded me that I've lost my 'I can, and I bloody well will!!! :mad:"

And I want it back :mad::mad:

The catchphrase is : don't tell me I can't, because I can....and I will!
    Think it's a great add and a great initiative and not just because I'm a big Landrover fan

(more info here : http://www.canandwill.co.uk/)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Meditating daily
    Practising mindfullness
    Positive thinking
    Daily affirmations
    Weekly reiki sessions

Exercise is great - although you might have that covered in getting out of the house. I find the days I feel least like it are the days I need it most, its hard to motivate myself to do it but I never regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

eviltwin wrote: »
    Exercise is great - although you might have that covered in getting out of the house. I find the days I feel least like it are the days I need it most, its hard to motivate myself to do it but I never regret it.

yeah, exercise is number 1.
    diet no 2. Try to eat oily fish (mackeral,, salmon, kippers, etc) more than 3, times per week. Yoghurt also a must.whole grain everything.lentils are also good. imho everyone who tends to suffer from depression should be on a daily omega 3 supplement e.g cod liver oil
    rest and good sleep hygiene is no 3
    no/low alcohol or other substances
    and no stimulants after lunchtime,
    and lastly early sunshine and daylight help s regulate our natural sleep cycle.

All of the above are easy once you make them a daily habit. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 naughty1205

daithi7 wrote: »
    yeah, exercise is number 1.
    diet no 2. Try to eat oily fish (mackeral,, salmon, kippers, etc) more than 3, times per week. Yoghurt also a must.whole grain everything.lentils are also good. imho everyone who tends to suffer from depression should be on a daily omega 3 supplement e.g cod liver oil
    rest and good sleep hygiene is no 3
    no/low alcohol or other substances
    and no stimulants after lunchtime,
    and lastly early sunshine and daylight help s regulate our natural sleep cycle.

All of the above are easy once you make them a daily habit. Good luck.
    I dunno, I exercise, am out for walks with dog, I've been taking the best fish oils for as long as I can remember, eat well, fine weight wise, can't remember the last time I was slightly merry, one coffee a day, I could go on. None of it has made a **** of a difference to me. Really. I'm sure it works for many lucky people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Folks,

Looking for some advice please. I was off work earlier this year, with moderate depression and quite bad anxiety. Both of which perhaps not so much caused by my working conditions but certainly exacerbated by them. Lots of consistent chaos, short notice travel (tomorrow is a term used a lot, start driving to Dublin/Cork/Galway and get address details on the way there!), cancellations, insecurity and vague information/ ambiguity.

My manager was very supportive and we had many discussions as to how things can be made better or easier on me. The nature of the business (IT consulting) unfortunately means there will always be lots of ambiguity however I certainly feel things could be managed a lot better.

I've been back in work for a while now and nothing has really changed, phonecalls on friday to travel to the UK on monday, getting job details 17.30 for the next day etc. etc. and it's causing me a lot of anxiety and undue stress. While in principle I (think) I quite enjoy my job the way it's being managed is certainly having quite a negative impact on my mental state and personal life. To the point where currently I'm considering going back to my GP to be signed off work again.

It's not really a solution though is it? It'll make me feel better short term but then once I have to head back into the chaos things will get worse again.

My manager is still being very supportive and making all the right noises however nothing is really changing or being done. While he certainly is full of ideas I need a solution short term while we can work on either a job change or a change in conditions.

I don't really want to start threatening with HR (aside from the fact it's absolutely impossible to get to talk to a human being in HR, large multinational : log a ticket and get an email from someone in Iraqistan or somewhere thereabouts) as my manager has been so good so far but I do need a solution.

I could of course always look for another job but due to the nature of my work I'd probably end up commuting to Dublin at best, UK at worst and the thoughts of that are enough to make me contemplate a pint and a glass of Scotch at this early hour.

So what do I do? Do I tough it out and hope for things to get better? (Which they won't I've been battling this for over 5 years now and nothing has been done, the attitude seems to be : if you don't like it, look for a new job. My manager says he understands how this has impacted me but as stated, nothing seems to be changing.

Apologies for the long post / rant, I'm really trying to get my head around this and figure out what I can do and I'm hoping perhaps someone here has some experience or ideas.

The one thing I keep thinking is what my psychologist told me : it'd be a lot easier if it was visible / physical ailment such as a broken leg. (in which case the company would already have taken action).

(hence not posting in the work issues forum)

I gave up my professional career for the same reason. The uncertainty of the job caused me great trouble.

Id be changing job and if that doesnt suffice, changing career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Hi folks I find that googling things any illness is all well and good but I would like advice from fellow people who have the unfortunate pleasure of suffering with the illness.

What is general anxiety and what is the difference between that and depression as it seems I never have one without the other.

Any advice or info would be great.

What is general anxiety and what is the difference between that and depression as it seems I never have one without the other.

From what (little) I understand they go hand in hand, I asked my GP and counsellor about this and they both more or less said that they (can) be like a tag team, but the way they explained it to me is that neither are necessarily caused by the other, they just come as a package deal so to speak.

(****tiest BOGOF ever :mad:)

From what (little) I understand they go hand in hand, I asked my GP and counsellor about this and they both more or less said that they (can) be like a tag team, but the way they explained it to me is that neither are necessarily caused by the other, they just come as a package deal so to speak.

(****tiest BOGOF ever :mad:)

Anxiety would be a common trait among all psychiatric illnesses. You could have OCD, depression or be on the schizophrenic spectrum of disorders and they all would have an element of anxiety, maybe for different reasons.

Then someone may have a personality disorder like avoidant or schizotypal, which both would produce anxiety/stress with regards certain situations.

I dunno, I exercise, am out for walks with dog, I've been taking the best fish oils for as long as I can remember, eat well, fine weight wise, can't remember the last time I was slightly merry, one coffee a day, I could go on. None of it has made a **** of a difference to me. Really. I'm sure it works for many lucky people.

Do you get 30 minutes of aerobic exercise daily? Swimming is good for anxiety.
    A walk with the dog is nice & dandy, but it's not aerobic unless you run with them.
    Do you practice deep breathing, meditation, yoga and/or stretching, all help control anxiety.

At what time of the day do you have your coffee? Why not switch to decaf!? Do you take other stimulants e.g tea, red bull, ginseng, etc?

What about your sleep hygiene? What time do you get to bed, to sleep, for how long & is it good quality? I.E. do you feel fully rested & refreshed when you wake? What time do you get up? Do you plan your day or let it happen to you!? I.E pro active our reactive...

Are you getting daylight early in the day?

Have you purposes in life other than just getting/staying healthy? We need purpose & meaning, projects and things to do, otherwise our excess unfocused mental energy c can make one anxious.

Do you look after a pet, or someone, other than yourself?? Are you social enough, simply talking helps reduce social isolation& anxiety.

Why do you want to be less anxious? Seriously, What exactly do you want to achieve? & why??
    Focus on that more & less on the anxiety and you will be focusing on the rewards and not the problem(s) , which may help.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Okay hello :D Haven't been here in a long time no one probably remembers me. I need some advice. I have basically dominated depression all except for one thing in particular -> With the help of anti D's

I have no anxiety anymore, i'm on 5mg citaprolam(was on 10 till few days ago/cut down due to sexual sides). I'm generally happy right now. But still not happy enough, I can feel it still, the 'block' on my emotions. I'm starting counselling in September abouts when College starts up again. I met a girl and she really improved everything but even before her I was starting to feel really good with myself...but still...My main symtoms of depression where the emotional block and anxiety. Now when i'm with friends, I CAN feel happy, it's just weakened. When i'm drunk(not that often) all of this goes away more or less, it's annoying not being like that when i'm sober. The big one for me is, my 'love' emotion seems totally blocked. In fact i'm sure one of the reasons I ended up depressed was due to always being hurt when I liked someone. Now i'm sure I really love this girl, but I can only feel it the odd time. I remember what it was like pre depression like 5 years ago, I can't feel it now like I used to. Does anyone have any advice on releasing these emotions again? Like they should be? Anyone who has beaten depression down with a stick which I feel like i'm close to doing...

This seems like the final step to overcoming this 5 year long issue even though it may not be permanent...I want to try really bad. I miss that emotion 'love'. I'm sure it's bottled up inside me haha.

Anyone?

Meditation? Counselling etc? I just don't know exactly where to start? Do I have to wait till Sept till counselling to sort it out?

BrianG23 wrote: »
    Okay hello :D Haven't been here in a long time no one probably remembers me. I need some advice. I have basically dominated depression all except for one thing in particular -> With the help of anti D's

I have no anxiety anymore, i'm on 5mg citaprolam(was on 10 till few days ago/cut down due to sexual sides). I'm generally happy right now. But still not happy enough, I can feel it still, the 'block' on my emotions. I'm starting counselling in September abouts when College starts up again. I met a girl and she really improved everything but even before her I was starting to feel really good with myself...but still...My main symtoms of depression where the emotional block and anxiety. Now when i'm with friends, I CAN feel happy, it's just weakened. When i'm drunk(not that often) all of this goes away more or less, it's annoying not being like that when i'm sober. The big one for me is, my 'love' emotion seems totally blocked. In fact i'm sure one of the reasons I ended up depressed was due to always being hurt when I liked someone. Now i'm sure I really love this girl, but I can only feel it the odd time. I remember what it was like pre depression like 5 years ago, I can't feel it now like I used to. Does anyone have any advice on releasing these emotions again? Like they should be? Anyone who has beaten depression down with a stick which I feel like i'm close to doing...

This seems like the final step to overcoming this 5 year long issue even though it may not be permanent...I want to try really bad. I miss that emotion 'love'. I'm sure it's bottled up inside me haha.

Anyone?

Meditation? Counselling etc? I just don't know exactly where to start? Do I have to wait till Sept till counselling to sort it out?

Firstly, well done. You have learned to live with depression, that is a life enhancing thing to do & the longer you live& manage it, the better you will become at it and the easier& more natural it will become.

Now, to this love emotion.... hmmmm what is love anyway!? Is it not best expressed& felt in actions, just asking.

It strikes me that you are demanding alot from what your emotions should be making you feel, but that's just me, they're your emotions.

Normally, the longer and better you learn to live with depression, the more you trust and like your self, and hence the greater you can trust and like others....And yes maybe even love them, assuming they love you back of course!

So my advice, for what it's worth, is to continue doing what you're doing, you sound like you're making good progress. Try to learn to have patience with your future progress and plan to get to trust& like yourself more again into the future. Maybe in that framework you can plan for feeling love, etc rather than just demanding it, as it were. All easier said than done, I know(!), but trust me that is your likely best route to more success.

P.s. Just putting it out there: did it strike you that maybe the reason you don't feel in love with this girl, is maybe that you aren't?
    Has she ever expressed her feelings for you, for instance?? Does she really match what you are seeking in a woman you feel you can love???

Just cos you live with depression, and feel you don't emote as you should, doesn't mean those emotions are there, or even appropriate in this case. Just something to consider.

daithi7 wrote: »
    Firstly, well done. You have learned to live with depression, that is a life enhancing thing to do & the longer you live& manage it, the better you will become at it and the easier& more natural it will become.

Now, to this love emotion.... hmmmm what is love anyway!? Is it not best expressed& felt in actions, just asking.

It strikes me that you are demanding alot from what your emotions should be making you feel, but that's just me, they're your emotions.

Normally, the longer and better you learn to live with depression, the more you trust and like your self, and hence the greater you can trust and like others....And yes maybe even love them, assuming they love you back of course!

So my advice, for what it's worth, is to continue doing what you're doing, you sound like you're making good progress. Try to learn to have patience with your future progress and plan to get to trust& like yourself more again into the future. Maybe in that framework you can plan for feeling love, etc rather than just demanding it, as it were. All easier said than done, I know(!), but trust me that is your likely best route to more success.

P.s. Just putting it out there: did it strike you that maybe the reason you don't feel in love with this girl, is maybe that you aren't?
    Has she ever expressed her feelings for you, for instance?? Does she really match what you are seeking in a woman you feel you can love???

Just cos you live with depression, and feel you don't emote as you should, doesn't mean those emotions are there, or even appropriate in this case. Just something to consider.

Okay thats good advice, you're right, i'll just go with the flow and see how it goes :) It's just a frustrating aspect of depression I guess like brain fog(for me haha)

This girl and I are pretty astonished how well we clicked and so quick. She actually matches EXACTLY what i've been looking for in a girl, i've always thought of this ideal personality in a girl but never thought I would find a girl like it, she's pretty damn close to my ideal(Nice, affectionate, easy going and these type of things), being funny and pretty are just bonuses(although probably more important than I care to admit). It's getting somewhat serious now too. While being depressed, i'm somewhat grounded in my expectations and have really grown with respect to who I like etc over the last few years. Because before depression I was always liking those who didn't really reciprocate or where I simply let anxiety stop me from making a move etc. With this girl we've said 'I love you' already. And she said it first too I thought it might be too soon and I may look clingy but again it was strange how quickly we connected in our opinion but it happened so whatever right? :P

I think so at least. The 'love' emotion does come through sometimes it's just weak and rare(the same way I feel about simply feeling happy although happy isn't as extremely blocked), I remember it before from years ago, I mean what does it feel like? Hmm, well it's hard to describe of course but there definitely is one. The heart pounding butterfly one that makes you smile etc. It's just kinda missing almost all of the time now and when I can feel it I really feel it, it just feels like it should be there more.

I was thinking of the idea that I may not feel for her and thats why, but it doesn't feel like that. I'm quite sure I do love, it's just that...well, my numbness towards certain emotions crops back up haha. Thank you for the advice though it's better not to rush it :pac:

BrianG23 wrote: »

Anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia

Roquentin wrote: »
    Ah so thats the name for it. Yeah that is completely what I had/have, I would say it is the main symptom of my depression. But I really have been pushing it out of the way as of late. Just not as much as i'd like but daithi7 is completely right, I can't rush this kinda thing. Pleasure left my life for quite a while, makes you realize where people with suicidal thought are coming from when you have it for a long period. But regardless -> it can be beaten :)

About 2 years ago I tried mindfulness for a while, at some point I felt this massive amount of emotion swelling up, I started shaking and stopped meditating because it was difficult to handle haha. I've talked to people about it here before i'm gonna try that again over the next few weeks.

'tis hard work dealing with this depression malarkey :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

'tis hard work dealing with this depression malarkey :(

It sure is, but there's always light at the end of the tunnel. I've been feeling reasonably chipper the last few months and, while it could strike again any time, the good times make all the crap worth it.

Hang in there, and make sure you chat about it with your nearest and dearest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Urghh. Was lingering dangerously above a slump for some time. The slump has now claimed me :O

Was doing great last week and thought I'd knocked anxiety on it's head but then Wednesday it crept up on me and today I'm emotionally drained from it. Trying to be mindful and meditate, go with it etc but it's just so bloody hard. Hoping seeing my psychologist tomorrow helps. Hate these ups and downs. Never know whether I'm coming or going :( doesn't help I've to organise my daughters 4th birthday party for Tuesday and going on holidays in two weeks for two weeks. Oh the thoughts of it have me wound up. Packing shopping etc for three kids need to stay in the present for now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Was doing great last week and thought I'd knocked anxiety on it's head but then Wednesday it crept up on me and today I'm emotionally drained from it. Trying to be mindful and meditate, go with it etc but it's just so bloody hard. Hoping seeing my psychologist tomorrow helps. Hate these ups and downs. Never know whether I'm coming or going :( doesn't help I've to organise my daughters 4th birthday party for Tuesday and going on holidays in two weeks for two weeks. Oh the thoughts of it have me wound up. Packing shopping etc for three kids need to stay in the present for now.

Don't let perfect become the enemy of good.

Do what you can and know that it's good enough. You know what kids really want? A relaxed and happy mum.

You know when you get on the plane and the safety speech we've all heard loads of times says: Put on your own oxygen mask first before assisting others. That means you're no good to anyone if you don't take care of you first. So prioritise that above all things.

I'm not so much depressed right now. I think I've wasted enough time wallowing in self pity. What I am right now is incredibly angry and frustrated. I seriously want to just punch something or someone and scream my head off.

Fúck everything. :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm not so much depressed right now. I think I've wasted enough time wallowing in self pity. What I am right now is incredibly angry and frustrated. I seriously want to just punch something or someone and scream my head off.

Fúck everything. :mad::mad:

Oh I know that feeling all too well.. Try to let out the frustration safely.. Keeping it in causes all sorts of physical problems but then so does punching walls. Bottles breaking in a bottle bank were one thing I used to do..

On a personal note I'm on the longest down I've been on in a long time.. Think I'm quite volatile at the minute too. The possibility of greatly overreaction to things is huge.. Paranoia heightened too. Difficult to keep things clear. :-(

Just back from psychologist. Really helped actually. He told me to do the opposite of what I feel like doing. That way my body sends my brain messages that all is ok and the anxiety dissipates. I've to accept and acknowledge I'm anxious and keep busy with stuff the anxiety wants me to not do. Also the deep breathing helps.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Urghh. Was lingering dangerously above a slump for some time. The slump has now claimed me :O

"When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back," F Nietzsche

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The anxiety I'm experiencing today is nothing short of horrific. I want to lock myself in a small room away from everything and just feel warm. There's so much on my mind today I don't even know where I'll begin to start thinking about all of this ****. Brain transplant for one please :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

The anxiety I'm experiencing today is nothing short of horrific. I want to lock myself in a small room away from everything and just feel warm. There's so much on my mind today I don't even know where I'll begin to start thinking about all of this ****. Brain transplant for one please :/

Thinkin of you today bro.

I think this is the best thread since the inception of boards.

I'm teetering on the edge of something but training and lifting heavy are keeping me ok

Advertisement