Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Can't stop feckin crying with this withdrawal
    Maybe you should stop trying to stop.... I've found that when I try to bottle things up, they quite naturally become explosive. That's what bombs are, just bottled up (chemical) reactions.

Also, zoom out and see the bigger picture. Maybe you are a bit over emotional now but you know you are on a path and that path is going the right way so just glide through this rough patch and have faith you are heading the right direction.
    You don't see planes turn back because of some turbulence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

DeVore wrote: »
    Maybe you should stop trying to stop.... I've found that when I try to bottle things up, they quite naturally become explosive. That's what bombs are, just bottled up (chemical) reactions.

Also, zoom out and see the bigger picture. Maybe you are a bit over emotional now but you know you are on a path and that path is going the right way so just glide through this rough patch and have faith you are heading the right direction.
    You don't see planes turn back because of some turbulence.

I really love that analogy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Lovely post and all Dev but crying at work is not really as acceptable as we'd like :)

I've often considered a SAD light but sort of remained sceptical about them.
    Do people that have them tend to think they generally improve their mood in the mornings?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lovely post and all Dev but crying at work is not really as acceptable as we'd like :)
    Aaah, yeah, I can see how that might be tricky. :)

More seriously, there is nothing wrong with taking time off if you just aren't able to function. I dunno your situation but your boss might be approachable or failing that, pull a sicky... its not like you were on the batter or anything, you have a valid reason not to be in work!

• Advertisement

Aaah, yeah, I can see how that might be tricky. :)

More seriously, there is nothing wrong with taking time off if you just aren't able to function. I dunno your situation but your boss might be approachable or failing that, pull a sicky... its not like you were on the batter or anything, you have a valid reason not to be in work!

My bosses are great, and would practically shove me out the door if they thought that's what I needed. They weren't there for my meltdown earlier, and hopefully they won't find out. I have a trip away coming up and have loads of time booked for that, and so besides having a ton of work to get sorted before then, it wouldn't make it any easier. The ton of work will still be there after my sick days . I have to learn to ask for help. Hard to do. Especially when I'm not patient and it'd mean having to explain the work and how to do it.

Anyway, sleep is what I need! Didn't get enough. Going to my boyfriend for takeaway and going to get a good sleep after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Can't stop feckin crying with this withdrawal

I had that too and it is quite common.

http://www.cymbaltawithdrawal.com/topic/7528-cymbalta-weeping/

We become over/hyper sensitive. For me, I found that the bout of weepiness would often go as quickly as it came. Not always but most of the time. I'd know in the midst of it, which it was though, so could tell a family member that might have triggered it not to worry, that they hadn't truely upset me, that it was just a withdrawl bout of tears etc

Personally I find that as long as I know that what I am going through is normal and/or common I tend not to stress or worry as much over it.

Sounds like you are still on track with your withdrawl and tapering. You are doing great all things considered. You'll be through it in a few more weeks. Theres some that find it so bad they micro-taper over the course of 6 months and more. We are lucky in that we could tolerate a much quicker taper. Yeah, we might have slightly stronger zaps and a few more bouts of withdrawl weepiness but we'll have it over and done with a lot sooner.

Keep the Faith and Good Luck!

Thanks C.

Thing is I'm only around people when I'm at work. Have ended up telling some about the situation, and they've been good. I know right in the middle of it that it's nothing, it is impossible to stop myself though.

Hoping to go off completely after my upcoming trip. Will report back. Really hoping there's no zaps, or at least that they're not too harsh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Paddy 12345

I should've read more comments before posting.

Most people don't connect self-harm with "going to kill people", the connection is more with suicide risk. (although often incorrect too.)

However, for some jobs, long sleeves might be the best option. Or go with short sleeves in the interview, you'll be able to tell there and then if they'll judge you on it. For me, it has largely depended on the type of job.

Thanks,much of what I post might not make sense.

And I'm not even on med's.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mismatch

So I told my sister that I suffered from depression last night. First family member I've told.

After exclaiming 'but... you have so much!' she proceeded to tell me 'I'm sooo happy. So I feel sorry for anyone who isn't as happy as me'. I made some futile attempts to explain that my problem was a bit broader than an absence of happiness. She then got a bit agitated and asked 'have you looked at your diet? Because you do eat a lot of crap.' Now, I eat a balanced diet, but have apparently committed the sin of continuing to include some carbs, dairy, meat and chocolate. Only her vegan diet is acceptable in her eyes.

Thus ended our conversation. I just had to laugh (else I might cry :p)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mismatch wrote: »
    So I told my sister that I suffered from depression last night. First family member I've told.

After exclaiming 'but... you have so much!' she proceeded to tell me 'I'm sooo happy. So I feel sorry for anyone who isn't as happy as me'. I made some futile attempts to explain that my problem was a bit broader than an absence of happiness. She then got a bit agitated and asked 'have you looked at your diet? Because you do eat a lot of crap.' Now, I eat a balanced diet, but have apparently committed the sin of continuing to include some carbs, dairy, meat and chocolate. Only her vegan diet is acceptable in her eyes.

Thus ended our conversation. I just had to laugh (else I might cry :p)

Take the important bits from this, one you actually told someone, i can't tell you how huge that is, really, it's so difficult for some, can be such a hurdle, be proud of that.. Two, her reaction isn't that unusual, people often equate depression with sadness which is a limited kind of view.. Her secondary reaction of diet etc could just be a defensive take, hoping she can bring you back to "normal" without needing tablets, therapy etc. Leave her some online info perhaps she may read..

Once again well done..

Take the important bits from this, one you actually told someone, i can't tell you how huge that is, really, it's so difficult for some, can be such a hurdle, be proud of that.. Two, her reaction isn't that unusual, people often equate depression with sadness which is a limited kind of view.. Her secondary reaction of diet etc could just be a defensive take, hoping she can bring you back to "normal" without needing tablets, therapy etc. Leave her some online info perhaps she may read..

Once again well done..
    I had a sub-venal semi-occusion of the retina once. Basically a stroke in my eyeball.

My dad came to see me in the hospital and put his jumper around my shoulders! At the time I was hurting and thought to myself "jesus Christ I have a blood disorder in my EYE, I'm not fncking *COLD*" but now I look back on it with warmth. My father loves me more than anything and he had no idea what was wrong with me and was probably just as scared as I was. That was all he could think to do... so he did that.

You're sister loves you and wants to help you. She hasn't a pig's ear what to do with the information you gave her, she's probably a bit freaked. But she is trying to put her jumper around your shoulders. She doesn't know what else to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Feeling pretty **** atm, I see no future for myself and I can't see things getting any better. Iv'e tried but i don't see my life improving and I really feel like ending it...

You really need to go to talk to someone... right now ideally. Please believe me that in a few days and certainly with a some simple counselling that feeling will pass. Its a lie and everyone here can tell you we've all felt that way at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Feeling pretty **** atm, I see no future for myself and I can't see things getting any better. Iv'e tried but i don't see my life improving and I really feel like ending it...

I am sorry to read this. I hate reading things from people who are in the throngs of horrible downs that I completely relate to. I didn't respond last night because I just didn't know what to say. Devore has already suggested the most important thing for you to consider, reach out to somebody.

The one thing I used to feel was that if I didn't have any solution to my problems, nobody could help or nobody else wanted to help. I was embarrassed and scared to reach out for help. I feared rejection and more disappointment then I could already take in my life at the time.

The key change for me was when I finally started to do small things for myself. Small changes in my life, including going to an aware meeting, have led me to a life I wouldn't of believed just over 2 years ago. I am 36 years of age and have had an extremely unhappy, lonely life. Not because I didn't have good friends or family (I am married with 3 children), not because I don't have a decent job (I work for myself and do quite well) but because there was something fundamentally unwell inside of me (a cancer) that I simply could not fix on my own. .

I use the word cancer because I find its easier to understand this concept for most people. If I have a great job, a great family and great friends, some people would say I should consider myself lucky and I should be happy and thankful for what I have. If I was this person with all these things, but I had cancer, people would be more understanding about why I might feel down. But mental sickness/illness is a form of cancer to me. It eats away at how I view myself and how I view the world.

I found that reaching out really helped. Sometimes I looked for help from people who simply didn't know how to guide me. "Pull yourself together" or "sure what have you got to be upset about?!" knocked me back and made me want to get support even less. . .

But, once I started to look for help in the right places things changed. It was important for me to feel comfortable and to trust the people I was sharing my feelings with. This didn't come quickly or easy. . Oddly enough, you are doing exactly what I did on the start of my recovery. You are posting your feelings here, but to be honest I wasn't brave or aware enough at the time to post how truly awful I felt or if I was suicidal. I was still a bit scared of being judged or put down for being so dramatic. For that, I applaud your courage. But I must also stress that it says to me that you do want help, you do want to feel better and that you are reaching out for help. You have already started the process of trying to improve your life. Consider allowing this idea to help you feel something positive about yourself. You have taken action to improve how I feel about the world. You have reached out here and shared how you feel. I learned, after sometime, to take some comfort from feeling like I was doing something by trying to enjoy or at least recognise even small victories like your post.

I tried an aware meeting, I went to group CBT meetings and changed doctors (as I felt my existing doctor didn't suit me). . This didn't happen over night, it took some time, but it all started with very small simple changes in my approach to how I felt. But one of the biggest changes was that I was being guided by a professional. Not a friend , not a family member, a person who didn't know me, didn't pre judge me and whose job was to help support people like myself.

I like to think of it like when I was feeling really low, it was like being stuck down a deep dark hole. I may only have a friend with a rope to help me up or there might be the opportunity to get professionals to make sure its done right (fireman). When I was Down the hole I was scared, anxious, lonely and felt like I could only go further down or at best sideways, but never up.

If you think about it, in that scenario if somebody could throw me down a rope and help pull me up, it would certainly be easier then continuing on my own and getting nowhere. . I think of help from friends and family like a rope being dropped down the hole, they want to help but they might not have the strength to pull me up. A more professional outfit used to dealing with people stuck in holes (like fire brigade), I have a much better chance of getting out of the hole in a safer way.

Reaching out for help was extremely difficult for me. I didn't trust anybody else and I actually didn't trust that anything else would work. I thought I was a hopeless case and any help I look for would only be at best wasting peoples time.

Please reach out to somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Call the Samaritans on 116123 or e-mail jo@samaritans.org

or the Suicide Helpline 1800247100

Not your ornery onager

So many times I type out a long post here and delete it instead of posting, like now again for example. How could anyone understand what's going on in my head when I don't even know. I think I really need to get away from everyone. It's 12 years now since I started dying inside so it doesn't really inspire much hope really. I can't drink tonight but I really, really need to get out of my head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

So many times I type out a long post here and delete it instead of posting, like now again for example. How could anyone understand what's going on in my head when I don't even know. I think I really need to get away from everyone. It's 12 years now since I started dying inside so it doesn't really inspire much hope really. I can't drink tonight but I really, really need to get out of my head.

I ask myself that a lot. If I can't explain it, how can it be helped.. I reckon my confusion makes me unable to clarify stuff. That's where letting it spill out works for me, I post sometimes and it's proper gibberish, but it gives me space in my head to try make some sense at times.

Pm if you want, here all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eugene Victor Tooms

Hi guys,

This is my first post here and it could be a long one, so I apologise straight away!

I'm not sure how to start. For quite a long time now, I've really been feeling down about myself. I can tell you right away the root cause of this. My Dad committed suicide when I was 18 (I'm 31 now...eek!). We were very close up until the last few month's of his life. We'd always go to GAA games together and travelled quite a bit to England to watch the team he got me into supporting. Long story short, my Dad was not a good businessman. He got into financial trouble but told nobody in the family. We watched him wasting away the last few months before he hung himself and I couldn't understand why. He'd sit in front of the TV all day, visibly shaking, getting thinner and just becoming a shell of a man. About two days before he killed himself, the proverbial hit the fan and my brother and sister who are (were) 14 and 10 years older than me found out about how much debt he was in. My father had asked them to be directors in his company and he had forged cheques in their name. I saw my brother physically throw my Dad out of his house the night before it happened. I remember his coming back to our house next door and sitting in his usual place in the kitchen and he asked me what I was cooking. My last word to my father was "pasta". I left the kitchen and never saw him again.

In 2007, my girlfriend of over four years left me when I was 24 for her housemate who I suspected she had feelings for for about a year. More on this later.

In 2010, my sister, who I loved more than anything in the world, was diagnosed with colon cancer, which in itself is one of the more treatable cancers. She'd been complaining about stomach cramps and the sensation she had to go to the toilet for months. Her doctor dismissed it as a lack of fibre in her diet, then said it could be IBS, then said it could be Crohn's. By the time my sister had a colonoscopy the polyps on the colon had turned cancerous. By the time the cancer was diagnosed it had metastasized to her liver and she was told she had months to live. She lived for a year and a half and died on 25th of April 2012, three days after her 39th birthday. My sister was, and always will be, the most amazing person I have ever met. She was the most beautiful and gentle soul and everyone adored her. We were so so close and it killed me to see this thing eat at her from the inside out; not just physically but mentally as well. She became so bitter in her last few months and was understandably not the person I knew. I know my sister worshipped me as well. The night before she died, her kidneys had failed and by the time I had got to Limerick from Dublin (where I work) she was completely out of it on morphine and we knew it was hours and not days we had with her. But that night, she suddenly woke when her boyfriend and my Mam were alone in the room with her and tried to get up to go to the toilet. Mam and her boyfriend had to walk her completely skeletal frame to the bathroom as she wasn't lucid. When she was coming back she saw me and she smiled and tried to say something. It was so strange. The next morning, was also strange. Her boyfriend rang me and told me to come downstairs, he knew this was it. She was lying there and she was just hanging on and all you could hear was that death rattle when she was trying to breathe. I stood there for five minutes looking at her. Her boyfriend said kiss her goodbye, and as soon as I did she let go. It was like she waited. I know its a coincidence but I'd like to think it wasn't. (Man, I'm in bits typing this).

Six months before my sister died, my new girlfriend of two years left me.

Now, here's where all sympathy for me ends. The reason my two girlfriends left me is because I'm a cheat. I've no idea why I do it. I did it on my first girlfriend so many times I lost count. In the four years we went out, I'd say maybe 15-20 times (I was caught once). Of course when she left me, my heart was broken but deep down I completely knew I deserved it. My second girlfriend heard about me f*cking another girl through a friend. This girl I cheated on her with was not a looker. Both girlfriend were/are absolutely beautiful and worshipped me. I don't understand why I do it.

I've stolen from my mother, who worked her ass off to put me through college as a single parent after Dad died. Not a large amount but it makes me sick that I'd even contemplate this. I can't explain who good a mother she is. She lost a son the year before I was born, buried her husband and then her only daughter. She's on her own most of the time now as I'm in Dublin and my brother emigrated. I don't know how she gets up in the morning.

All this said, I'm not a bad person either. I do as much as I can to help my friends, of which I have a lot of . Unfortunately, most are back in Limerick. In Dublin, I have friends but not as many and a lot of the time, like now, on a Saturday night, I feel quite isolated and lonely. In general, I'm friendly, polite and generous. I can be slightly shy until people get to know me.

I'm working a job that I used to love but for different reasons, I've come to hate it this year and I've literally spent all day doing up my CV so I've taken the first steps to rectifying that situation. I was off the last two weeks and spent the most of it at home with Mom so she'd have company. Was at the Picnic last week and was due back in work on Weds. Went in for the day but was miserable. Wednesday night, I didn't sleep a wink. All I could think about was how much I don't want to go back to work in the morning. Went into work that morning but couldn't face the full day and made up a bull**** excuse that my mom was in hospital (WHY THE **** WOULD I DO THAT?!).

Finally, I've met a new girl. First girl in ages that I really really like. We've met up a good few times and we finally "sealed the deal" last Monday night. The sex was great. Then last night she asked me up to her place. I knew we were going to have sex again and out so much pressure on myself I could barely get it up, which led to so much embarrassment on my behalf. She's still texting me now so she's still into me but I'm bricking it about messing it up. I really am tired of being on my own. I miss waking up beside someone, watching DVDs and just goofing around. Who do I have to blame for that? Mé f*cking féin.

In general, I've no confidence in myself. Negative thoughts invade my life constantly. I'm apparently a very good looking guy but walking up to a girl in a bar terrifies me and all I think about is how I'm going to get rejected. I constantly put myself down and take things very personally. I stopped playing soccer years ago because I was afraid of being criticised. I know I used to be very good and had good thing going at a very decent level but all of a sudden just stopped because I'm basically afraid of other people thinking I might be terrible. It's so so stupid but this negativity is so debilitating. It affects me in all walks of life.

I've started looking at psychologists and CB therapists. I need help and soon. I know I do. I want to go back playing soccer and am going to force myself to do so. I'd like to be confident like I used to be years ago. Not cocky or arrogant, just confident and comfortable in my own skin.

I'm sorry about the long post. It's been kinda therapeutic though.

Thanks for that post, man. I know it took a lot.

Seems to me you have good plans to improve your life. Do go ahead and get professional help. The plan to get back into soccer is good too - especially if you are as good as you said! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

So..I'm starting college on Monday. And proper freaked out about it.

not about the college, but because I've found out, we have to find/organise our own work experience/placements, previously the college would help students with this. They no longer do.

I've not ever actually 'looked' for a job, I've never gone to places asking. And having to look and try and find something myself, has me very on edge and ready to just go
    "fcuk it, fcuk college, not ready for this sh!t at all."

I'm actually crying over the anxiety and feel ridiculous and pathetic, to be so easily worked up.

Going back to college was a big step for me, and I wasn't expecting to have to find a placement alone. Just something I wasn't prepared for at all.
    We have 2 months to find a place. Though depending on the bus, means I have to try get a place first. I'm f/ucked if I can't find one.
    sorta wondering why I'm even bothering with the whole college thing.

~curls up into a ball and hides~

Whats the placement in?

Finding a job isn't as tough as people say, you just have to ask A LOT. Prep a CV, send them to everyone. Get tons of refusals. Rinse and repeat. :)

Find a list of companies who did it before for previous years if you can and target them.

Looking_around, you know you can do this. Your depression is looking for a way to keep you from making your life better and finding new friends and kicking it to the curb. Of course it doesn't want you to go out there and try...its like an abusive spouse never wants the abused to socialise... Its time you messed its sh*t up and broke its control on you. Fight, soldier, I know its hard, believe me I know. But now is when you need to fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

So..I'm starting college on Monday. And proper freaked out about it.

not about the college, but because I've found out, we have to find/organise our own work experience/placements, previously the college would help students with this. They no longer do.

I've not ever actually 'looked' for a job, I've never gone to places asking. And having to look and try and find something myself, has me very on edge and ready to just go
    "fcuk it, fcuk college, not ready for this sh!t at all."

I'm actually crying over the anxiety and feel ridiculous and pathetic, to be so easily worked up.

Going back to college was a big step for me, and I wasn't expecting to have to find a placement alone. Just something I wasn't prepared for at all.
    We have 2 months to find a place. Though depending on the bus, means I have to try get a place first. I'm f/ucked if I can't find one.
    sorta wondering why I'm even bothering with the whole college thing.

~curls up into a ball and hides~

You have to do what it takes to nip this in the bud. 20 years ago, I didn't, I actually did say, "fcuk it, fcuk college, not ready for this sh!t at all." Family got me a job to occupy me till I felt ready. I never did and ended up in that job for 7 years. Finally found the courage to leave and start a 2 year course in 1999. Same thing happened again with my anxiety scuppering any drive or ambition I had and I settled into a job in the family business where I remain 13 years later. My love life or lack thereof mirrors Eugene's. Let my anxiety scupper that too. Gave up. Couldn't handle rejection and couldn't handle doing the rejection either. I was finally getting more comfortable in my on skin in the second half of the noughties and then boom a couple of years ago. Actual physically debilitating anxiety hit me which is when I started posting in this thread.

Basically looks and brains to burn like the both of you and totally wasted and for nought. The only saving grace for me is that at 40 years old I am blessed that I still look like someone in their late 20's. So I feel I still have a small glimmer of hope if I ever get a handle on the anxiety.

Basically what I am saying lads is do your damndest to nip this in the bud now and not be like me at 40 looking back at massive amounts of wasted unused potential.

Whats the placement in?

Finding a job isn't as tough as people say, you just have to ask A LOT. Prep a CV, send them to everyone. Get tons of refusals. Rinse and repeat. :)

Find a list of companies who did it before for previous years if you can and target them.

Looking_around, you know you can do this. Your depression is looking for a way to keep you from making your life better and finding new friends and kicking it to the curb. Of course it doesn't want you to go out there and try...its like an abusive spouse never wants the abused to socialise... Its time you messed its sh*t up and broke its control on you. Fight, soldier, I know its hard, believe me I know. But now is when you need to fight!

I don't have a CV, lol. I actually don't know where to start in that.
    The work placement is nursing/carers. So, I plan to look into nursing homes, there's 2 on the bus lane, near. And I could look into the city if I fail at getting a place here. (I'm tied to public transport, very frustrating that.)
    But I have nothing in terms of experience for being a carer. Well, not that type.
    I've supported my mom during times of illness, or when her bpd was at it's worst. But I'm not sure that experience would count. I'm thinking of talking to the teachers on Monday and see if they'll help with a CV/letter, something, so I can drop that into places. As I don't know where to start.
    I feel like a lost teen.~going omg, I'm not ready to be an adult~ heh, I've not been a teen very many years now though.

Not feeling as freaked out as I was yesterday. But I am anxious. I'm disappointed that the college changed in the last minute on helping with placements. (I had been offered a place in another college, and as far as I know they still sort placements...if I had known when applying, I'd have gone with the latter college, even though that's further out.)

I've mostly worked from home previously, and with family. (computer repairs.) I was really looking forward to college, and I suppose I still am. But I am scared I won't be able to find a placement. Mostly, this was unexpected and so totally threw me off. I'm just upset and anxious about it all, now.

Calibos wrote: »

Basically what I am saying lads is do your damndest to nip this in the bud now and not be like me at 40 looking back at massive amounts of wasted unused potential.

Yeah, I've run from university, for too long. Despite having always wanted to study.
    I decided to do a level 5 fetac, to get back into studying, as it has been too long. But the urge to run is very strong.

Anxiety is a powerful and debilitating feeling. And I've learned to deal with it for the most part. But whenever something unexpected happens. It just bubbles over. It'd be so much easier to just hide away.
    I know the whole try it later won't help. I've done that for long enough. It doesn't get easier by postponing it. ):

Doing up a CV is easy enough. You will find samples and layout online. Just be sure to spell check, use enough white space, etc.

As well as personal and education, and employment details, include brief info on any voluntary work you may have done, hobbies, interests etc.
    Names and contact details of two referees (people who will give you a reference if the prospective employer contacts them).

A covering letter is a good idea too. In this, you introduce yourself, say that you would like to get a temporary placement with them and what
    dates/times you are available, and state the qualities which you have which make you suitable. Say what you will bring to the job. Try to have a few paragraphs instead of one or two lines. :)

There is no need to go to the expense of folders etc. Dropping the CVs in to potential employers and hopefully getting to meet them face to face in the process is a good idea, if you have the time to do this.

Not your ornery onager

You couldn't possibly, possibly do worse than some of the barely literate, gnawed on pieces of "literature" I have had to wade through in my time.

Grab a template and just fill in the blanks. No one is expecting much from an interns CV, just tell them a bit about yourself and write a covering letter saying why you'd love to work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bidd

I don't have a CV, lol. I actually don't know where to start in that.
    The work placement is nursing/carers. So, I plan to look into nursing homes, there's 2 on the bus lane, near. And I could look into the city if I fail at getting a place here. (I'm tied to public transport, very frustrating that.)
    But I have nothing in terms of experience for being a carer. Well, not that type.
    I've supported my mom during times of illness, or when her bpd was at it's worst. But I'm not sure that experience would count. I'm thinking of talking to the teachers on Monday and see if they'll help with a CV/letter, something, so I can drop that into places. As I don't know where to start.
    I feel like a lost teen.~going omg, I'm not ready to be an adult~ heh, I've not been a teen very many years now though.

Not feeling as freaked out as I was yesterday. But I am anxious. I'm disappointed that the college changed in the last minute on helping with placements. (I had been offered a place in another college, and as far as I know they still sort placements...if I had known when applying, I'd have gone with the latter college, even though that's further out.)

I've mostly worked from home previously, and with family. (computer repairs.) I was really looking forward to college, and I suppose I still am. But I am scared I won't be able to find a placement. Mostly, this was unexpected and so totally threw me off. I'm just upset and anxious about it all, now.

Have you thought of other areas where you can get a placement as a Nurse/Carer?

What about the ID Sector? (Intellectual Disability). Check out the "National Federation of Voluntary Bodies" for more info.

Also, the "Disability Federation of Ireland" website - there's info and links to large and small organisations with varied disabilities not limited to ID. (Sorry I can't link-haven't enough posts yet)

Baby steps :). Do up your CV and send it to the HR Depts and take it from there. You can do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Hi all

New to this thread. My gf suffers with manic depression(I think?). She's going through a pretty horrible phase of it for the last couple of weeks. It got to a point where she couldn't even get out of bed to go to work.

Can anyone here give me tips/advice in how to help her through this while looking after myself??

She does receive professional help to deal with it, btw.

Advice welcome

• Advertisement

Hi all

New to this thread. My gf suffers with manic depression(I think?). She's going through a pretty horrible phase of it for the last couple of weeks. It got to a point where she couldn't even get out of bed to go to work.

Can anyone here give me tips/advice in how to help her through this while looking after myself??

She does receive professional help to deal with it, btw.

Advice welcome

Talk to her nurses/doc if you can.

Also, encourage her to get up from bed. staying in bed, will prolong negative feelings, just try and make it one step at a time.
    Don't say get out of bed for work, for example, but something like "there's tea/breakfast down stairs, will you come and join me?"

It really depends on what she needs. Has she talked to you about her depression cycles?

For me, when I'm feeling very depressed, I prefer my partner to have a firm voice, a bit like you would when telling a child to do something.
    He's then supportive once I'm up, but it's very important for me, that he won't support me being in bed all day.

This won't help others. As it can increase feelings of "they don't understand"/"don't care" etc. So it does depend a little on her and what she needs.

Advertisement