Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

handbagmad wrote: »
    my experience, the sleepyness was very short term like for a week or so maybe two at a stretch untill your system gets used to it.

found lexapro excellent I have to say. Bare with it a while.

If you are worried about it contact your gp or pharmacist.
    X

was thinking alrite it'll prob wear off after a while....hope it'll work for me, anxiety all over the place atm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Hi All,

All i can say is help!!! I have been doing very well for the past 6 months, life was finally back to somewhat normal i was able to go the gym, cinema, out for dinner and drinks when I finally f*cked up last weekend. What was suppose to be a quiet relaxation night in a hotel with my misses turned into a complete session..i drank far far too much and now it has knocked me back into that hole again.

All i want to do is cry, I am anxious about eveything again, my insides are shaking, i feel sick and i just cant believe i am back here. I turn 30 next week and I feel like i just cant do this anymore. Im wore out!!!! Just writing this from my work desk is difficult.

I am fighting with myself to not go home early from work as i know all i will do is either sleep or cry. The meds are somewhat working but GOD if you are there help me.

Hope everyone else is in flying form.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Started on lexapro 5mg friday....making me v sleepy, lm here waiting for love/hate to start ld love nothing more than to hop into bed lm wrecked off them....anyone else had the same side effect?

Yea they do that to you bare with it though because that anti dep also has a small bit of sedative in it for your nerves so that will make you sleepy. If you can try fight the sleep and get up and do something otherwise you will find your self sleeping on and off all day everyday. Easier said then done but try. Stick with the tabs though give it a good 6-8weeks. Just from experience.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hi All,

All i can say is help!!! I have been doing very well for the past 6 months, life was finally back to somewhat normal i was able to go the gym, cinema, out for dinner and drinks when I finally f*cked up last weekend. What was suppose to be a quiet relaxation night in a hotel with my misses turned into a complete session..i drank far far too much and now it has knocked me back into that hole again.

All i want to do is cry, I am anxious about eveything again, my insides are shaking, i feel sick and i just cant believe i am back here. I turn 30 next week and I feel like i just cant do this anymore. Im wore out!!!! Just writing this from my work desk is difficult.

I am fighting with myself to not go home early from work as i know all i will do is either sleep or cry. The meds are somewhat working but GOD if you are there help me.

You're NOT back there again. Get that idea out of your head now.

This happens to us all, we soar and everything is going great and then *stumble*. Did you think it would never be back?? That life would just turn on a dime? Sorry... it can do but more likely we have to fight for it.

The amazing thing is that you have experienced what it can be like for you for 6 months, that's great! Really, I think it was about 3 weeks before my first major stumble :) ... This isn't you "going back there again". Its like a girlfriend/boyfriend you dumped coming back around to see if you can "patch things up" when you've already found someone 10 times better than her/him :)

So now what do you do!? You forgive yourself for the stumble. You learn from it (ie: binge drinking obviously isn't a good idea) and you brush yourself off and you acknowledge your humanity. What I try to do it just coast through a down turn... don't make any big decisions, don't have any rows or emotional confrontations... accept that you need to get yourself back into that "balance" you found before (and you will, trust me) and don't freak out. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

DeVore wrote: »
    You're NOT back there again. Get that idea out of your head now.

This happens to us all, we soar and everything is going great and then *stumble*. Did you think it would never be back?? That life would just turn on a dime? Sorry... it can do but more likely we have to fight for it.

The amazing thing is that you have experienced what it can be like for you for 6 months, that's great! Really, I think it was about 3 weeks before my first major stumble :) ... This isn't you "going back there again". Its like a girlfriend/boyfriend you dumped coming back around to see if you can "patch things up" when you've already found someone 10 times better than her/him :)

So now what do you do!? You forgive yourself for the stumble. You learn from it (ie: binge drinking obviously isn't a good idea) and you brush yourself off and you acknowledge your humanity. What I try to do it just coast through a down turn... don't make any big decisions, don't have any rows or emotional confrontations... accept that you need to get yourself back into that "balance" you found before (and you will, trust me) and don't freak out. :)
    ps: My bet is that a week from now you will be looking back on this thinking "Jaysis , what was I like!" ... I do that all the time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Hi All,

See DeVore's answer above :) But he/she is right. It's funny how 6 months of doing very well is ignored, but 1 day of nerves and anxiety means you're back where you were.

That's sooo familiar to me. It's such a horrible vicious circle. Try hard to succeed, but expect and wait to fail. When any stumble happens, beat yourself up about it and tell yourself it's inevitable. Try "harder" the following time, but even more convinced you're going to fail...

You'll never be 100% happy & relaxed and safe - no one is. Forgive yourself for the stumble and keep on going. Dwelling on it and beating yourself up about it isn't "trying harder", it's just focusing on the negative and knocking your confidence. 1 bad week in 6 months is pretty excellent going!

who_me wrote: »
    See DeVore's answer above :)But he/she is right. It's funny how 6 months of doing very well is ignored, but 1 day of nerves and anxiety means you're back where you were.
    He/She?!??!?

DONT YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?!?!? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

See DeVore's answer above :)But he/she is right. It's funny how 6 months of doing very well is ignored, but 1 day of nerves and anxiety means you're back where you were.
    He/She?!??!?

DONT YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?!?!? :p

You Sir, are an almighty deity for bringing the nature of depression into the limelight ;)

All hail DeVore, the mighty Dev. I shall leave my sacrifices on the hall table :D

Started on lexapro 5mg friday....making me v sleepy, lm here waiting for love/hate to start ld love nothing more than to hop into bed lm wrecked off them....anyone else had the same side effect?

I'm on Lexapro myself. Find it great. You do need to allow about a month for it to kick in. Expect lethargy. Once it does things do pick up considerably. :)

You Sir, are an almighty deity for bringing the nature of depression into the limelight ;)

All hail DeVore, the mighty Dev. I shall leave my sacrifices on the hall table :D
    I'm Internet-Famous, me :)

• Advertisement

See DeVore's answer above :) But he/she is right. It's funny how 6 months of doing very well is ignored, but 1 day of nerves and anxiety means you're back where you were.

That's sooo familiar to me. It's such a horrible vicious circle. Try hard to succeed, but expect and wait to fail. When any stumble happens, beat yourself up about it and tell yourself it's inevitable. Try "harder" the following time, but even more convinced you're going to fail...

You'll never be 100% happy & relaxed and safe - no one is. Forgive yourself for the stumble and keep on going. Dwelling on it and beating yourself up about it isn't "trying harder", it's just focusing on the negative and knocking your confidence. 1 bad week in 6 months is pretty excellent going!
    On a more serious note... this is a very good point. Its amazing how quickly we throw 6 months of progress down the tubes at the first stumble. Its almost like some nasty goblin wants us to come back to it and go back to being all negative and lethargic. Everytime you hear that goblin's whisper... kick it in the balls.

You don't need to be perfect, accept who you are and accept your imperfections. They're what make you interesting.... 'cos perfect people are boring farts usually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I'm on Lexapro myself. Find it great. You do need to allow about a month for it to kick in. Expect lethargy. Once it does things do pick up considerably. :)

have no appetite on it either, feel miserable on it tbh but its not even a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Hey, this might be a silly question but I wonder what the mods/boards would think of having a chatroom type thing. I think it would be a great idea for folks on this thread. Being alone with depression is brutal and although the odd post here and there is great support, a chat thing would be fantastic. I know it's a big ask but maybe even this idea of a chat could lead to something :)

guitarzero wrote: »
    Hey, this might be a silly question but I wonder what the mods/boards would think of having a chatroom type thing. I think it would be a great idea for folks on this thread. Being alone with depression is brutal and although the odd post here and there is great support, a chat thing would be fantastic. I know it's a big ask but maybe even this idea of a chat could lead to something :)

It does sound good in theory but you run the risk of trolls/abusive members who could affect people at their most vulnerable. Sadly the internet is full of nasty mean spirited folk as much as it's full of decent people who want to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

It does sound good in theory but you run the risk of trolls/abusive members who could affect people at their most vulnerable. Sadly the internet is full of nasty mean spirited folk as much as it's full of decent people who want to help.

Sure, but could there be a way around that I wonder. Like maybe a mod that could ban trolls like they can on threads? Or where you could vote to have someone kicked out? Maybe there's a way that it could work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sure, but could there be a way around that I wonder. Like maybe a mod that could ban trolls like they can on threads? Or where you could vote to have someone kicked out? Maybe there's a way that it could work :)
    There is a feature on Boards (under Control Panel, I think) called 'Social Groups'. I don't know how it works though. It might well suit what you are talking about.

Maybe DeV might be able to expand on this (or another possibility).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

1. Other people aren't content and happy all the time. That's just a myth that people put out there, a façade. When they are happy they tell you all about it and when they aren't they either disappear or they fake it. Just look at the response to this thread.... don't try and reach mythical levels of nirvana.

2. Happiness is an inside job. That's what I was told by a good friend 3 years ago and its true. Its a state of mind and before you tell me "but I cant *make* myself happy" answer me this, can you make yourself unhappy? Sure you can, we all do it. We revel in a perverse pleasure of torturing ourselves. Old memories, regrets, bad relationships, mistakes etc. If you can think yourself unhappy you can think yourself happy.
    Or at the very least you can stop thinking yourself unhappy :) ... learn not to go down that negative spiral path. Forgive yourself those old histories and get to like yourself again.
    As soon as you start to mope and wallow, kick yourself out of it. Go do something. Grit your teeth and go do that chore you have been putting off. You have to be really disciplined about this. The very second your thoughts start to wander that way, get your mind back to here and now.

You aren't "not a bad guy" you're a nice guy, you are lovely. As a friend of mine quite angrily said to me once "would you stop beating yourself up, you're bullying someone I happen to really like." :)

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Anyone have any tips for how to make new friends living in a large enough town (so there probably are options) outside of a school/work environment? Ideally chances to get to know individuals instead of a group but whatever, like, there's an absolute ton of caveats to that but I wanna brainstorm a bit so I'm gonna try and ignore them. Really need to push myself a bit cos I'm slowly tearing myself apart from spending so much time with my thoughts and I've drained my usual (quite effective) coping mechanisms for now.
    Have a lot of free time, okay financially but no car. Neat social volunteering opportunities would be cool too, I've really enjoyed working with older people in the past.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Where are you living? Check out the regional forum for your area on boards.

Night course(s) in a subject that interests you in the local VEC/tech - see how I didn't say school there? :) There are so many courses, and it is not too late yet to enrol if you know how to ask very nicely). Painting, decorating, car/motorcycle maintenance, self-help, woodworking, Gaeilge 101, poetry, Eng. Lit., etc.

Outdoor pursuit(s) - e.g. hill-walking, surfing, fishing, bird-watching, astronomy - even golf, or pitch and putt ffs !

Pub quizzes, town/village renewal, tidy towns, neighbourhood watch (maybe, just maybe...)

The thing is : you make friends when you are not trying to make friends.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Should I tell friends of mine about my problems? Or is that being a bit selfish landing it on them? I don't expect them to do anything about it, don't get me wrong, but it would be nice to have somebody know

Should I tell friends of mine about my problems? Or is that being a bit selfish landing it on them? I don't expect them to do anything about it, don't get me wrong, but it would be nice to have somebody know

I think you should open up. You'll be suprised at how open and understanding they will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I've certainly found it helpful to tell some people. It's good for your friends to know that you have something going on rather than them thinking you're blowing them off consistently, freaking out over little things etc. etc.

They might have more patience with you than they would otherwise, maybe make more of an effort to do nice things with you (that you can handle) etc. etc.

I certainly don't think it's selfish explaining to them

wexie wrote: »
    I've certainly found it helpful to tell some people. It's good for your friends to know that you have something going on rather than them thinking you're blowing them off consistently, freaking out over little things etc. etc.

They might have more patience with you than they would otherwise, maybe make more of an effort to do nice things with you (that you can handle) etc. etc.

I certainly don't think it's selfish explaining to them

Or, as I've been telling people : I prefer you knowing I'm nuts rather than an asshole :(

Been getting a lot worse recently, moods, extremely sensitive to sounds, changes of plan or routine. Had a serious melt down earlier this week after which Dr took me off the meds we were trying as 'they were doing me more harm than good' (his words) and now not on and antidepressants but xanax and other anti anxiety stuff.

On the upshot he's referred me to a psychiatrist as the thinking is now that my depression and anxiety may well be a symptom rather than the actual problem.

Seem he thinks I may well have a good dose of asparagus or summing :D
    Would certainly explain a lot and fit in with a lot of things, personally I think I'm fine, it's you people that are all nuts.

It's all a bit scary as one the one hand an official diagnosis of something along those lines would be a pretty big deal, on the other hand....nothing would actually change, I'd still be me, with all my quirks but hopefully now with the proper supports to remain being me rather than having to confirm to a whole bunch of things that just don't work well for me.

(I'd forgotten how nice it can be to come here and unload some thoughts, it's like a diary with an audience)

*** as an afterthought : please don't be offended when I use terms like nuts, it's certainly not meant to offend anyone and it's coming from someone who thinks that 1) I am indeed nuts in some way 2) all interesting and nice people are in some way nuts 3) people who don't have a little nuts in them (even deep down) are generally boring and quite uninteresting except from a scientific point of view*****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Or, as I've been telling people : I prefer you knowing I'm nuts rather than an asshole :(

Been getting a lot worse recently, moods, extremely sensitive to sounds, changes of plan or routine. Had a serious melt down earlier this week after which Dr took me off the meds we were trying as 'they were doing me more harm than good' (his words) and now not on and antidepressants but xanax and other anti anxiety stuff.

On the upshot he's referred me to a psychiatrist as the thinking is now that my depression and anxiety may well be a symptom rather than the actual problem.

Would certainly explain a lot and fit in with a lot of things, personally I think I'm fine, it's you people that are all nuts.

It's all a bit scary as one the one hand an official diagnosis of something along those lines would be a pretty big deal, on the other hand....nothing would actually change, I'd still be me, with all my quirks but hopefully now with the proper supports to remain being me rather than having to confirm to a whole bunch of things that just don't work well for me.

(I'd forgotten how nice it can be to come here and unload some thoughts, it's like a diary with an audience)

*** as an afterthought : please don't be offended when I use terms like nuts, it's certainly not meant to offend anyone and it's coming from someone who thinks that 1) I am indeed nuts in some way 2) all interesting and nice people are in some way nuts 3) people who don't have a little nuts in them (even deep down) are generally boring and quite uninteresting except from a scientific point of view*****

borderline or aspergers maybe.....just guessing

I've had that discussion with a good number of friends now and quite surprisingly (at least to me, at the time) they would say "I'm so glad you said that, I've been really struggling myself". In other cases what they have told me subsequently was that it gave them a sense of worth that I would confide something so personal to them and in many cases deepened the friendship. Absolutely no one reacted badly nor acted differently around me subsequently... if anything I think (like the others have mentioned above) it probably explained some of my more "antisocial quirks" :)

Roquentin wrote: »
    borderline or aspergers maybe.....just guessing

tis been suggested, I guess we'll have to wait and see. The GP at least suggested that the depression and anxiety may well be just pent up stress finally coming out because of it.

Delighted with my GP though, had a major episode on monday and he was available immediately and more than once now over the last few months he's returned phonecalls, after hours from his mobile.

People have been trying to pin an asparagus diagnosis on me for years :)
    As you say above... my line has always been "I'm sane in a mad world".
    And if I did get a diagnosis of something, like you say, it wouldn't change who I am and I'm actually not keen on changing who I am now, I'm getting quite happy with my place in this world. For you it might be that you could mitigate the worse excesses of it (like the sensitivities) because you would know what you are dealing with (like with my depression... when I knew my enemy I was far better able to identify him and fight back).

As for using the words "mad" or "nuts" I think humour is an excellent tool for depowering scary words and no, I personally would not take offence to how you use them. Humour is a powerful tool against stigma and fear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

People have been trying to pin an asparagus diagnosis on me for years :)
    As you say above... my line has always been "I'm sane in a mad world".
    And if I did get a diagnosis of something, like you say, it wouldn't change who I am and I'm actually not keen on changing who I am now, I'm getting quite happy with my place in this world. For you it might be that you could mitigate the worse excesses of it (like the sensitivities) because you would know what you are dealing with (like with my depression... when I knew my enemy I was far better able to identify him and fight back).

As for using the words "mad" or "nuts" I think humour is an excellent tool for depowering scary words and no, I personally would not take offence to how you use them. Humour is a powerful tool against stigma and fear.

i get the aspergers thing as well. i think im schizotypal though. certainly their is overlap between schizoid/schizotypal and aspergers.

they have taken the aspergers off the criteria though

• Advertisement

Warning: Above post may contain nuts. :pac: :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement