Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The only side effects I have is why I miss my meds. I believe my issue is physiological so I am pro meds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Actually **** that. I feel like I just can't live like this anymore. I'm going nowhere, I can't get the **** out of my head. I see it like others have one last ditch attempt at getting help then I'm done. How do you get into St Pats or somewhere?

I posted elsewhere but I don't mean to be spamming, I just need an answer if I can get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Actually **** that. I feel like I just can't live like this anymore. I'm going nowhere, I can't get the **** out of my head. I see it like others have one last ditch attempt at getting help then I'm done. How do you get into St Pats or somewhere?

I posted elsewhere but I don't mean to be spamming, I just need an answer if I can get one.

Hey Gong...

I was the exact same and i knew i needed more help so i went to connolly memorial hospital in Blanchardstown. You go to A&E and tell them exactly whats happening to you. You then meet with a psych doc who will assess you and you tell him that if they dont admit you well god knows what will happen just be honest. I am just home after being there for 2 weeks. I badly needed it.

I dont have VHI so i couldnt go to Pats. If you have VHI try Pats or go the route i went.

Hope this helps.

I'd feel so dramatic and embarrassed. Having to tell the check in girl and then the nurse and then the doctor. It's all just a matter of why can't you just get over it

I'd feel so dramatic and embarrassed. Having to tell the check in girl and then the nurse and then the doctor. It's all just a matter of why can't you just get over it

No its not!! Do not feel embarrassed...they have professionals there and its your life do you really want to go on the way you are for the sake of telling the hospital how you feel. Trust me they will help you. What have u got to lose?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Would you go to hospital with a broken leg or a knife wound?

then why not with a 'broken brain'?

I don't know

I don't know

because of prejudice is why, if it was something you could just 'get over', 'pick yourself up' etc. etc. (I've heard them all) you'd be fine now.

It's not, it's something that needs actual medical attention.

You could talk to a GP and get referred, that might take a while though.
    If it really is that urgent, ie. you're feeling you might do something silly, then go to A&E and tell them.

Please

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

guitarzero wrote: »
    I've been feeling complete despair lately, no hope. I dont know what to do. I'm afraid of antiD's cuz of the side effects, cant believe how low i feel. Would love someone to talk to.
    Talk to your doctor, man.

Side-effects are just that - effects which you may or may not experience on the side. They are generally not severe at all, and usually fade pretty fast. Don't let your fear of them stop you taking medication, if your doctor thinks you need to.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Talk to your doctor, man.

Side-effects are just that - effects which you may or may not experience on the side. They are generally not severe at all, and usually fade pretty fast. Don't let your fear of them stop you taking medication, if your doctor thinks you need to.

and **** it, when I started taking Lyrica I was going around pretty much stoned out of my tree for the first two weeks.

Not all side effects are bad :D

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    because of prejudice is why, if it was something you could just 'get over', 'pick yourself up' etc. etc. (I've heard them all) you'd be fine now.

It's not, it's something that needs actual medical attention.

You could talk to a GP and get referred, that might take a while though.
    If it really is that urgent, ie. you're feeling you might do something silly, then go to A&E and tell them.

Please

I don't know if I can. I'm to see my GP on Monday anyway. But even saying to her makes me feel nervous and dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I don't know if I can. I'm to see my GP on Monday anyway. But even saying to her makes me feel nervous and dramatic.
    Write out what you want to say beforehand. Bring your notes with you, and let her read them if you prefer.

Your situation is nervous and dramatic - and serious.

Not your ornery onager

There's just something very clinical about the whole thing. Not the kind of setting I feel I can talk about my feelings in. Maybe that's my problem more than hers.
    Ugh feel so sick

Even posting here about it feels dramatic and attention seeking. Sorry

But you still need to try to be honest, I know it's bloody hard but this is serious business. You're not talking about keeping walking on a banjaxed knee.

That sounds pretty serious to me, there is lots of help out there for you and lots of people that will want to help, but you need to ask.

Even if you only just print out that one post and bring it with you. But you need to let your GP know where you're at and how you're feeling.

If you had a dodgy knee you'd tell them how it feels. They need to know how it feels in order to give you the help to get better.

One of the main problems with this horrible illness (I'm certainly guilty of this) is the old 'ah sure I'm okay'.

But you're not okay and if you don't tell your GP they can't help you

There's just something very clinical about the whole thing. Not the kind of setting I feel I can talk about my feelings in. Maybe that's my problem more than hers.
    Ugh feel so sick

Even posting here about it feels dramatic and attention seeking. Sorry

Don't be silly, you should have seen me a few weeks ago (I was trying new meds) I was like a 6'5" schoolgirl with her period (sorry ladies) after her boyfriend just dumped her for her worst enemy.

Now that was drama :D

(had a good cry though, oddly relieving but changed meds nonetheless :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Gongoozler it seems too dramatic because this problem has grown slowly and hasn't just happened overnight. So you've been living with it for such a long time you have normalised yourself to it. If you went from how you were before feeling this way, to how you are now overnight you'd be screaming for an ambulance.

Try to accept that you have genuinely been suffering and all you are asking for is help. It seems that you cannot help yourself, especially while trying to keep up your routine. You don't need to be slitting your wrists or doing an overdose to warrant hospitalisation. It's a safe environment to get back on your feet.

It's a cliche but its hard to say 'I need help' when we've been struggling on for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

you're not the first, you know. she wont be shocked or insensitive. what you're.dealing with is very real and very physical.
    you have nothing to feel shame or embarrassed about, it's a real illness, not something thats all in your head and if you were just a better person, wouldn't be so useless. you wouldn't tell the cancer patient to just move on. depression is like cancer, it's not sadness that gets better with time. it's real and if ignored can kill.
    don't let the stigma keep you from getting it treated!

if you find it hard to.speak, write it down and hand the gp the letter. often it's saying the first bit that's hard. if she asks you "how are you" dont auto with fine, say bad, very bad. once you get that out, the rest kinda tends to flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

i promise, no doctor, check in girl or nurse will make you feel like you should just get over it.

I've been to more doctors, psychiatrists, therapists and hospitals than I can count, and not one ever made me feel like that.

mental illness is a very real and also quite common thing to suffer with.

but you don't have to suffer alone.

one of the best things you can do is form a support network of doctors, friends, family or any one of those groups.

all you need to do, if you feel as full of despair as you come across, is go to a+e, tell the receptionist you need urgent help for your mental health because you're not feeling safe, and they'll push to get you seen.

Thanks for the posts and concern everyone.

Thanks for the posts and concern everyone.

Mind yourself, and remember, there are plenty of people here that will happily talk to you, either on thread or by PM to give you some support.

(that includes myself and generally I'm online till pretty late)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

There's just something very clinical about the whole thing. Not the kind of setting I feel I can talk about my feelings in.
    Would you feel more comfortable going to Pieta maybe? Just had a look at their website and most of the houses in Dublin seem to be open for a few hours on a Sunday. You can phone them as well if you prefer that. But A&E is always a good place to go as well.

Thanks everyone, and misty moon I hadn't thought of pieta, good idea. Though I think it's there that I read they contact your family.

The real bad thoughts have subsided andmy hheadache is finally easing off. I might just talk to my doctor about what kind of professional to talk to. 6th time lucky eh.

Thanks everyone, and misty moon I hadn't thought of pieta, good idea. Though I think it's there that I read they contact your family.

The real bad thoughts have subsided andmy hheadache is finally easing off. I might just talk to my doctor about what kind of professional to talk to. 6th time lucky eh.

pieta only contact family if they believe you're a danger to yourself, because they're legally obliged to.

I've been with pieta house and they are fantastic, and never told my family a thing

But isn't that why you go there, because you're a danger to yourself?

If you don't mind going into it a little what happened when you got there, what's the process?

But isn't that why you go there, because you're a danger to yourself?

If you don't mind going into it a little what happened when you got there, what's the process?

yes, you generally go when you can't cope any more.

but it's only if they think that you will actually kill yourself or hurt someone else that they inform your next of kin. It's a legal protocol. It's rare for it to happen, though.

well, i was referred by a psychiatrist, so i dunno what the process is when you self refer. I got a call with an appointment date. Went in, was asked basic stuff like how i was sleeping and eaten and about hobbies and interests. That's to gauge how bad you are. After that, it was just talking about my past and my issues, being taught new coping mechanisms, because mine were harmful, and so on. It's similar wherever you go for therapy tbh.

See I can afford to pay, so I don't want to be wasting their resources. I just want things to happen. If I go try find a counsellor myself I don't know what type I'm looking for and I don't want to waste my time and money on another therapist who just wants to keep me coming to get more money from me. I don't want to do nothing but talk about my past, I need help in establishing things and learning what's the right way to do things. I need resetting. And I've tried, many times.

See I can afford to pay, so I don't want to be wasting their resources. I just want things to happen. If I go try find a counsellor myself I don't know what type I'm looking for and I don't want to waste my time and money on another therapist who just wants to keep me coming to get more money from me. I don't want to do nothing but talk about my past, I need help in establishing things and learning what's the right way to do things. I need resetting. And I've tried, many times.

Dear Gongoozler, I genuinely hope you won't take this as presumptuous and I'm certainly no expert as I struggle myself most days.

But if there's one thing I've learned is that sometimes (a lot of the time) the things we want to do aren't necessarily the same as the things we need to do?

Certainly from what you've said there is some history in your past (like my pun? :D ) and if previous counsellors have come back to that perhaps it's for a reason? I'd imagine it may well be hard and painful to have to talk about it but sadly our pasts are inextricably linked to who we are now, who we have become. This is something I myself am trying to come to terms with and I have pretty much been told you can't just forget about it but you must absorb it and try to turn it into a positive part of who you are now (or at least not a negative).

Again this is meant with the best of intentions and certainly in no way meant to be hurtful.

It's not in the least bit hurtful, I get what you're saying and I have absolutely no problem talking about all of it. I just mean that I need a solution. None of it has ever resulted in working towards a solution. It's just talking talking talking. I've spent hundreds on some of those counsellors, and a lot of hours, and I'm tired of doing that and getting nowhere. It can't be an endless week after week talk some more about this thing that happened, and how did that make you feel etc. I know there's a point to much of that but it never has gone anywhere with them.

Thing is, I get so frustrated and upset and worked up, I need something to keep me going while we talk through my entire life,if that is nnecessary. Something to help me get through the stuff that comes up everyday.

Having a bad day whos here to talk?

• Advertisement

It's not in the least bit hurtful, I get what you're saying and I have absolutely no problem talking about all of it. I just mean that I need a solution. None of it has ever resulted in working towards a solution. It's just talking talking talking. I've spent hundreds on some of those counsellors, and a lot of hours, and I'm tired of doing that and getting nowhere. It can't be an endless week after week talk some more about this thing that happened, and how did that make you feel etc. I know there's a point to much of that but it never has gone anywhere with them.

Thing is, I get so frustrated and upset and worked up, I need something to keep me going while we talk through my entire life,if that is nnecessary. Something to help me get through the stuff that comes up everyday.

Gong... do you mind me asking what area do you live in as i may have some good suggestions for you.

Advertisement